ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 23rd August 2018, 02:44 PM   #161
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
See, we needed the mights!
I thought you might.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:44 PM   #162
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
But the thing is, they can only plead guilty after being charged with a crime. They aren't pleading guilty to things that aren't illegal. They are pleading guilty to things that have made a judge and grand jury say "yup, those are crimes and there's enough evidence to go forward with a trial."
he plead to an information that was never presented to a grand jury and was presented to the judge for the first time at the plea hearing.

Pretty standard stuff.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:47 PM   #163
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This is getting silly, now.
I have not seen grasping at straws like this in a long time.
Not only grasping: refusing to admit how small the straws are.

ETA: they aren't just in the Bailey, they've withdrawn to a broom closet in the Bailey. And the door is marked "IF".

Last edited by LSSBB; 23rd August 2018 at 02:49 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:50 PM   #164
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

he plead to an information that was never presented to a grand jury and was presented to the judge for the first time at the plea hearing.

Pretty standard stuff.
Yep very standard, a criminal admitted his guilt to try and gain some leniency in regards to his sentencing.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:52 PM   #165
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Both Ziggurat and The Big Dog seem to be arguing that he's pleaded guilty to something that's not a crime and which he didn't do anyway, because prosecutors have asked him to.
Of course. It's called 'grasping at straws.' That's all they have left.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:54 PM   #166
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yep very standard, a criminal admitted his guilt to try and gain some leniency in regards to his sentencing.
Yep very standard, the government offered leniency in regards to his (and his wife's) sentencing in exchange for not having to prove all of the elements of the charges by clear and convincing evidence, and to get a plea on charges that it will try to use to go after much bigger fish.

Consensus is cool.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:55 PM   #167
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Of course. It's called 'grasping at straws.' That's all they have left.
No, bruh, that is called grasping at strawmen.

Good night everyone, try the veal.

Drops the mic
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:59 PM   #168
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yep very standard, the government offered leniency in regards to his (and his wife's) sentencing in exchange for not having to prove all of the elements of the charges by clear and convincing evidence, and to get a plea on charges that it will try to use to go after much bigger fish.

Consensus is cool.
Glad to see that you agree the criminal admitted his guilt to numerous criminal charges.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:06 PM   #169
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Glad to see that you agree the criminal admitted his guilt to numerous criminal charges.
Glad to see that you agree the government admitted that they struck a deal with Cohen to avoid proving the charges and go after bigger fish.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:09 PM   #170
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Glad to see that you agree the government admitted that they struck a deal with Cohen to avoid proving the charges and go after bigger fish.
Can you point to the documentation that has "the government" admitting your claim. I suspect not.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:10 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Can you point to the documentation that has "the government" admitting your claim. I suspect not.
yes
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:19 PM   #172
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

yes
That's a lie.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:19 PM   #173
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Deep State keeps getting bigger, and deeper, doesn't it? It's probably easier to list how many people aren't part of this conspiracy.
If there is a massive Deep State Conspiracy against Trump I have one question:'
Where the hell do I join?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:24 PM   #174
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That's a lie.
wrong.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:30 PM   #175
autumn1971
Master Poster

What we're all missing about this plea is that Cohen drinks 12 year-old Glenlivet on the rocks.

Hang the bastard.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:33 PM   #176
carlitos
"más divertido"

A six million dollar apartment and he can't spring for 18 year?

Oh wait, you don't like ice, never mind.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:38 PM   #177
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Objection - speculation.

sustained!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:40 PM   #178
smartcooky
Philosopher

wrong.

Show us then , or shut up!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:41 PM   #179
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Show us then , or shut up!
Oh dear....
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:56 PM   #180
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

How can you plead guilty to something that isn't a crime?
!!! Analogy Warning !!!

Bob is heroin dealer, who is attacked by an armed robber while walking down a dark alley. Bob shoots and kills the robber. The cops have been following Bob because they suspect he's a heroin dealer, and they witness the shooting. The cops snag Bob up after he kills the robber, and take him in for interrogation. During the interrogation, they tell him that he's under suspicion for being a heroin dealer, which carries a sentence of 25 years... but that murder only carries a sentence of 5 years. Bob isn't completely sure how much info the cops have on him with respect to heroin dealing. The cops offer him a deal: plead guilty to murder and flip on his supplier, and they'll drop the case against him related to heroin dealing. The cops tell Bob that if he doesn't take the plea bargain, they will prosecute for heroin dealing.

Bob didn't commit murder - it was clearly self-defense. But he is willing to plead guilty to murder because it carries a shorter sentence than heroin dealing does.

The action can be cast as a crime, and can be plead to as a crime, without actually having been a crime.
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:57 PM   #181
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

But the thing is, they can only plead guilty after being charged with a crime. They aren't pleading guilty to things that aren't illegal. They are pleading guilty to things that have made a judge and grand jury say "yup, those are crimes and there's enough evidence to go forward with a trial."
You know what they say about grand juries and ham sandwiches, right? And judges almost never throw out cases where the defense doesn’t move for a dismissal, let alone ones where the defendant pleads guilty.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 03:59 PM   #182
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

They are pleading guilty to things that have made a judge and grand jury say "yup, those are crimes and there's enough evidence to go forward with a trial."
I am under the impression that this isn't exactly true. Yes, the things they're being charged with are crimes... but no judge or jury is looking at how much evidence there is for it. And there's not necessarily a case - the person may not have actually committed the crime with which they're being charged.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:00 PM   #183
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's relevant to the argument put forth that Cohen's plea proves paying Stormy was an illegal campaign expenditure.
Do you see any distinction between pleading guilty to something he didn't do and pleading guilty to something he actually did? I'm talking about the act itself, not your interpretation of the law.

Anyway, in the eyes of the law now, he is guilty, which seems to mean that lover boy is guilty of directing him to commit a crime. Do you think your arguments will save him?
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:01 PM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Had he declared it to the FEC as a campaign expenditure, then Trump would be in trouble for personal use of campaign funds.
That's only if you buy the lie paying off the women to keep silent had nothing to do with the campaign. Which is absurd. When were these two affairs? A decade ago yet somehow there was a need to keep them silent just before the election?

But if that's not enough for you, Cohen recorded his conversation about the expenses with Trump where they conspired to avoid FEC regulations.

As for use of campaign funds, the money came from the Trump Foundation, so charity fraud even if there were no FEC violations.

Here's the thing more than a few people keep missing even though it has been spelled out:

There was no legal offense in using campaign money to pay the women off if it had been reported, which it wasn't. So if it was a campaign expense, they failed to report it.

The offense was in the fact the money was an undeclared campaign donation. If the money came from Cohen, it was a campaign loan, needed to be declared.

If the money came from Trump, there are limits in personal donations to one's campaign as well and it needed to be reported. And the fact Trump ordered his kids to use the Trump Foundation money to pay Cohen back, that's also a crime.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:05 PM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No. That isn't how the personal use prohibition works. It isn't enough to say that the expense is useful for the campaign. You have to be able to say that you wouldn't have incurred the expense but for the campaign. An expense you would have incurred anyways, even if it's useful to the campaign, cannot be paid for by the campaign...
Here you go again asserting some legal opinion that is waay over your pay-grade.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:13 PM   #186
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As for use of campaign funds, the money came from the Trump Foundation, so charity fraud even if there were no FEC violations.
Do we know this for a fact?

I ask because state-level investigations could be worse for Trump than federal charges. He doesn't have as much scope to meddle in state affairs.

I saw the link upthread, will take a look.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:20 PM   #187
smartcooky
Philosopher

Oh dear....

I'll take that as "you can't prove what you said"

Situation normal
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:26 PM   #188
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I see we're back on the "this lawyer is a scumbag" tack. That's proven fruitful before. I'm sure that will make all this go away.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:32 PM   #189
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Do you see any distinction between pleading guilty to something he didn't do and pleading guilty to something he actually did? I'm talking about the act itself, not your interpretation of the law.

Anyway, in the eyes of the law now, he is guilty, which seems to mean that lover boy is guilty of directing him to commit a crime. Do you think your arguments will save him?
No. It doesn’t work that way. Cohen’s guilty plea does nothing legally to establish Trump’s guilt. That must be established separately.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:34 PM   #190
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Do we know this for a fact?

I ask because state-level investigations could be worse for Trump than federal charges. He doesn't have as much scope to meddle in state affairs.

I saw the link upthread, will take a look.
In fact we know it is a lie. The information said that the money came from the real estate company.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:36 PM   #191
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

No. It doesn’t work that way. Cohen’s guilty plea does nothing legally to establish Trump’s guilt. That must be established separately.
You didn't answer my question. Do you see any distinction between pleading guilty to something he didn't do and pleading guilty to something he actually did?
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:36 PM   #192
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here you go again asserting some legal opinion that is waay over your pay-grade.
I note you have no counter-argument.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:38 PM   #193
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
You didn't answer my question. Do you see any distinction between pleading guilty to something he didn't do and pleading guilty to something he actually did?
In regards to what? His sentence will be just as legally binding in either case, if that’s what you mean. This was never in dispute.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:01 PM   #194
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

In regards to what? His sentence will be just as legally binding in either case, if that’s what you mean. This was never in dispute.

Seems to me, statistics about people pleading guilty of acts they hadn't actually committed aren't at all relevant to this case.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:02 PM   #195
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Both Ziggurat and The Big Dog seem to be arguing that he's pleaded guilty to something that's not a crime and which he didn't do anyway, because prosecutors have asked him to.
If you could harness the amount of spin that certain posters are putting out in their arguments, it would power the Eastern Seaboard for years.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:10 PM   #196
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Ziggurat
You know what they say about grand juries and ham sandwiches, right? And judges almost never throw out cases where the defense doesn’t move for a dismissal, let alone ones where the defendant pleads guilty.
That's another dodge. Maybe you can open up a dealership.

Do you agree that he pled guilty to a crime, or are you still saying that he somehow pled guilty to a not-crime? I'm asking for clarity, because I have not seen you be specific on this yet.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:13 PM   #197
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'll take that as "you can't prove what you said"

Situation normal
Can.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:16 PM   #198
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That's another dodge. Maybe you can open up a dealership.

Do you agree that he pled guilty to a crime, or are you still saying that he somehow pled guilty to a not-crime? I'm asking for clarity, because I have not seen you be specific on this yet.
Just to clarify, you are cool with the obvious lies that the charges were reviewed by a grand jury and a judge?
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:16 PM   #199
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have images of some of the posters here trying their legal theories in law school, and seeing what the professor does to them........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:23 PM   #200
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have images of some of the posters here trying their legal theories in law school, and seeing what the professor does to them........
So do I! Zig is killing it, and the image you should have is the professor taking him aside after class and telling him that he should be an editor on the law review.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics