ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 03:44 PM   #2881
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Ugh, so much TBDDS...
Nice hand wave of the many valid reasons for deep concern about this presidency.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:48 PM   #2882
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Nice hand wave of the many valid reasons for deep concern about this presidency.
Hmm, yet my post was true...

Gotta tell you tho, I have to remember to use words like "valid" when talking about one's own opinions.

As in, "it is distressing that one does not immediately grasp the intricacies of my deeply valid concerns."

That will be a game changer, or at least I validly think so in the correct fashion.

Oh yeah, that is the ticket on a biscuit!
Old 8th November 2018, 03:52 PM   #2883
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

First, you don't disagree that he pushed her arm. Smart!

Second, the president had called on another reporter and her job was to bring the next reporter the mic. That is why he should give it up and not assualt the staff.

Pride goeth before the fall...
He pushed her arm? No wonder Trump doesn't like him. He should have bodyslammed her, like a real man.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:55 PM   #2884
Cabbage
Muse

No, I did not post speculation, I was deliberately mocking a grossly improper suggestion that the link i posted was somehow doctored, which was utterly and unalterably false, albeit par for the course among the leftists. perhaps you will wish to revisit the subject with the individual who misled you?
And, as I've already explained, I didn't waste my time clicking your link. It's a fact that Sanders posted a video doctored by Infowars, so it was entirely possible your link included that video. At any rate, my comment was referring to your joke that NBC and Infowars were in cahoots. Beyond that, it was a simple misunderstanding.

But you're welcome to pat yourself on the back if you want to.

Quote:
As far as "defending' the whataboutism charge? I nuked that claim from orbit hours ago, and now you are essentially asking why the champion does not come to the hospital and "defend" the incoherent mumbling of the defeated challenger from deep inside his coma?

Hardly.
No, you said it referenced a specific quote, neglecting the fact that that specific quote was specifically referencing Acosta's treatment by the White House.

And you simply Whataboutted it, regardless of how you now wish to spin it, Hypocrite. LOL!

Last edited by Cabbage; 8th November 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:56 PM   #2885
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He pushed her arm? No wonder Trump doesn't like him. He should have bodyslammed her, like a real man.
Yeah, someone already used that lame line.

And I validly responded that had little Jimmy Judo King tried it, that intern would have dropped his dick in the dirt.

There would have been three hits:

The intern hitting him
Jim Judo hitting the floor
and failing CNN's ratings hitting a new low.

Diagnosis: Valid
Old 8th November 2018, 04:01 PM   #2886
Cabbage
Muse

Oh, and remember that time we had a debate over whether or not calling out hypocrisy was ever a legitimate debate tactic?

Thanks to you, you've supplied yet another example when it's valid:

When one guy (you) accuses (fallaciously) others of tu quoque's and Whataboutism's over and over again, yet is himself guilty of the same charge....Hypocrisy!!!

LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:02 PM   #2887
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hmm, yet my post was true...

Gotta tell you tho, I have to remember to use words like "valid" when talking about one's own opinions.

As in, "it is distressing that one does not immediately grasp the intricacies of my deeply valid concerns."

That will be a game changer, or at least I validly think so in the correct fashion.
G
Oh yeah, that is the ticket on a biscuit!
I guess you are right. This is fine. Iíll just have a cuppa to relax.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #2888
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, and remember that time we had a debate over whether or not calling out hypocrisy was ever a legitimate debate tactic?

Thanks to you, you've supplied yet another example when it's valid:

When one guy (you) accuses (fallaciously) others of tu quoque's and Whataboutism's over and over again, yet is himself guilty of the same charge....Hypocrisy!!!

LOL!
Nobody cares about hypocrisy or truth anymore in post-values America.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:06 PM   #2889
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Nobody cares about hypocrisy or truth anymore in post-values America.
Least of all little puppies that are naturally immune to both!
Old 8th November 2018, 04:35 PM   #2890
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Perhaps Trump is speaking of himself and Putin as a unit.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:38 PM   #2891
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And I validly responded that had little Jimmy Judo King tried it, that intern would have dropped his dick in the dirt.

The intern hitting him

You are, of course, free to fantasise about violence and dicks as much as you choose to.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:50 PM   #2892
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Whitaker's first act (though it looks like it was passed on from Sessions):

Quote:
The Trump administration said Thursday it will restrict the ability of those crossing illegally to seek asylum on the southern US border, in a move previewed by the President last week.

The rule becomes effective once a presidential proclamation is issued, which is expected to happen Friday, according to senior administration officials.
The administration announced a new federal rule -- issued by the Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department -- that will limit eligibility for asylum seekers coming from Mexico, in a call with reporters Thursday afternoon.
Linky.

Expect it to be challenged in court immediately.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:58 PM   #2893
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But can the House indict anyone? Or just issue reports about their criminality that can be safely ignored?
They can call people in to testify in front of cameras in congress. Given the comical corruption this administration is engaged in, it stops his ability to just keep starting fires to distract from the older ones.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:59 PM   #2894
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The intern hitting him

Fascinating combat analysis. Who did you study under to achieve such fantastic insight? Master Roshi? Ip Man?

Ah, Steven Seagal. All the trademarks of a true 'master' of bullshido.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:32 PM   #2895
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I applaud the Democratic efforts with the acting AG. They are slandering him, from before he even sat down in the chair. Maybe they learned something from Kavanagh; you have to start the character assassination early and hit it often. It weakens the incumbent and gives pause to the potential candidates. Staffing is a critical vulnerability in this administration. You have to be on message here, take a job with Trump and a buzz saw is coming for you and it will make life for you and your family a living hell.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:37 PM   #2896
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I applaud the Democratic efforts with the acting AG. They are slandering him, from before he even sat down in the chair. Maybe they learned something from Kavanagh; you have to start the character assassination early and hit it often. It weakens the incumbent and gives pause to the potential candidates. Staffing is a critical vulnerability in this administration. You have to be on message here, take a job with Trump and a buzz saw is coming for you and it will make life for you and your family a living hell.
How are they slandering him? By quoting him? Citing government action against his scam business?
Old 8th November 2018, 05:39 PM   #2897
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Ruth Bader Ginsburg has broken three ribs and is hospitalized after a fall. She has broken ribs before, but health can decline quickly.
I'm betting she's faking it to avoid being present when new Justice Rapey McSpoiledBrat had his investiture.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:39 PM   #2898
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How are they slandering him? By quoting him? Citing government action against his scam business?
I don't care if it's true. I just care that it works.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 06:13 PM   #2899
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...wsroom-vpx.cnn

I really hope the Trump Administration costs the Conways their marriage. It would amuse me if Kelly Anne had to beg a DC judge for visitation rights for her own children. I don't see how they can stay married with her husband humiliating her to her boss.
Old 8th November 2018, 06:23 PM   #2900
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You know how much I despise Trump and his administration, but you are going way too far for me.
One of my concerns is that Trump will cause some of his opponents to become no better then he is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 06:25 PM   #2901
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm betting she's faking it to avoid being present when new Justice Rapey McSpoiledBrat had his investiture.
Nah, it's a publicity stunt for the new movie about her that opens this week.
I fully expect to see the alt right come up with this theory.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 06:32 PM   #2902
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Ginsburg's health worries me. We can't afford another Trump appointee on the SC. Two were two too many.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:03 PM   #2903
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't care if it's true. I just care that it works.
The modern left in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:04 PM   #2904
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You know how much I despise Trump and his administration, but you are going way too far for me.
One of my concerns is that Trump will cause some of his opponents to become no better then he is.
Become? Every indication is that Craig4 has always been like this.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:21 PM   #2905
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Ugh, so much TBDDS...
Tuberculosis Dentists?
Old 8th November 2018, 07:22 PM   #2906
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Trumplicken party certainly donít care for the truth. Guess you are ****** then.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:27 PM   #2907
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's right. We are all the same and agree on exactly everything with each other.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:37 PM   #2908
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That's about as accurate as claiming Steve King's racist views are "the modern right in a nutshell".

At least there is quite a bit of evidence that, while all conservatives are not racists, those who are racists/bigots tend to be on the alt-right. Steve King, Russell Walker, Arthur Jones, Corey Steward, Paul Nehlen, and John Fitzgerald are all racists/bigots.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:42 PM   #2909
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's about as accurate as claiming Steve King's racist views are "the modern right in a nutshell".
So now stereotyping political sides is bad?
Old 8th November 2018, 07:45 PM   #2910
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Weird, you went from accusing me of lying based on nothing to claiming it was not a push because her arm stayed in "virtually the same place" (hoo boy, that is some next level bs there) and that the female INTERN went to far.

watch from 5 seconds to seven seconds, and ask your selves folks, who ya gonna believe, Babbylonian's opinion or your own lying eyes.

Jim Judo Chop Acosta? He gone.
Gimme a freaking break. That wouldn't even be called a foul in middle school basketball. Wow, you really can work up a tempest in the teacup.

Last edited by LSSBB; 8th November 2018 at 08:00 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:45 PM   #2911
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

It's a bit silly to say that when most people reading your post here are left of center and know this isn't true about themselves.

And from the election just the other day it looks like moderates from suburbs are the modern left.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:52 PM   #2912
Stacyhs
Philosopher

So now stereotyping political sides is bad?
At least I gave examples of why people think the alt-right stereotype is racist/bigoted. What do you have?
Old 8th November 2018, 07:57 PM   #2913
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

At least I gave examples of why people think the alt-right stereotype is racist/bigoted. What do you have?
The right question was never why people think a stereotype is true.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:58 PM   #2914
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's a bit silly to say that when most people reading your post here are left of center and know this isn't true about themselves.
Now see if you can expand that reasoning a bit. Where else might it apply?
Old 8th November 2018, 08:04 PM   #2915
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Nonsense, Jim Judo Chop Acosta assualted the intern.

He is lucky that bad ass intern did not drop his dick in the dirt.

Classy young lady.
"Assault" has a legal definition. The White House needs to admonish all interns, even the classy young ladies, not to assault reporters.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:04 PM   #2916
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The right question was never why people think a stereotype is true.

Actual examples of racist/bigoted Republicans running for office is not why people think a stereotype is true. It's how the know it's true.

It's kind of like you know someone killed someone when they say "I killed that guy and the DNA and video prove it".

Last edited by Stacyhs; 8th November 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:10 PM   #2917
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Actual examples of racist/bigoted Republicans running for office is not why people think a stereotype is true. It's how the know it's true.
It's almost like you don't understand why cherry picking is a fallacy.

Scratch that: it's not almost like that, it's exactly that.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:15 PM   #2918
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Now see if you can expand that reasoning a bit. Where else might it apply?
Is there a name for this? Argument by trolling against presumed hypocrisy?
Old 8th November 2018, 08:18 PM   #2919
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's almost like you don't understand why cherry picking is a fallacy.

Scratch that: it's not almost like that, it's exactly that.
It's almost like you don't understand that giving actual examples of several racist/bigoted candidates running for office as Republicans is evidence of...gee, I dunno...their thinking that they'll be elected to office by other Republicans.

Scratch that: it's not almost like that, it's exactly like that.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:20 PM   #2920
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Sessions's final act:

Quote:
Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions has drastically limited the ability of federal law enforcement officials to use court-enforced agreements to overhaul local police departments accused of abuses and civil rights violations, the Justice Department announced late on Thursday.

In a major last-minute act, Mr. Sessions signed a memorandum on Wednesday before President Trump fired him sharply curtailing the use of so-called consent decrees, court-approved deals between the Justice Department and local governments that create a road map of changes for law enforcement and other institutions.

The move means that the decrees, used aggressively by Obama-era Justice Department officials to fight police abuses, will be much more difficult to enact. Mr. Sessions had signaled he would pull back on their use soon after he took office when he ordered a review of the existing agreements, including with police departments in Baltimore, Chicago and Ferguson, Mo., enacted amid a national outcry over the deaths of black men at the hands of officers.
Linky.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics