ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 08:49 AM   #281
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I bet Trump will go on having these rallies for the rest of his life. He gets off on it too much to stop. If he loses in '20, they'll be all about fraud and millions of illegals voting. If he wins, he'll make the same claims anyway.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:58 AM   #282
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Plus, it’s not an either-or situation here.

The whole thing is just gaslighting and projection anyway; Trump has a history of paying people to cheer for him, starting with his announcement and continuing at his rallies.
Well, his campaign does this - and I wouldn't be shocked if others did as well (and I honestly don't care if they pay the people to stand behind them in particular, since those are very carefully crafted). For several reasons, (he'd likely be enraged by it, he has no concern for detail or day-to-day management), I doubt he knows.

The idea of him seeing Grassley say it and then spewing it on Twitter strikes me as much more reasonable. He does that a lot, and his bigotry is more towards Stupid Don Draper than Richard Spencer. He loves Jewish lawyers, thinks Mexicans and Blacks should be servants, and thinks Native Americans are extinct.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 09:00 AM   #283
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I don't think Trump should have won it, but in establishing the prize, Alfred Nobel said it should go to someone who has "done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."

By that criteria, I'd say that the President of South Korea probably deserves it, for his steadfast efforts at rapprochement with the North Korean regime, in the face of their longstanding intransigence. If the short list of candidates consisted entirely of people who have contributed to the ongoing effort to keep peace on the Korean peninsula, the prize could be awarded fairly and meaningfully every year.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 09:11 AM   #284
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
He’s not the first politician to constantly accuse others of things he has been doing.
Trump with his pathology has no way of understanding that other people wouldn't do the same as him.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:11 AM   #285
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I bet Trump will go on having these rallies for the rest of his life. He gets off on it too much to stop. If he loses in '20, they'll be all about fraud and millions of illegals voting. If he wins, he'll make the same claims anyway.
I was watching a show about Hitler on one of the HitlerIMeanHistory Channels, and it was talking about his behavior toward the end of the war, where he went secluded at his villa, and instead of actually doing anything, he spent his time boasting about his unlikely rise to power, and how impressive that was.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:16 AM   #286
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I was watching a show about Hitler on one of the HitlerIMeanHistory Channels, and it was talking about his behavior toward the end of the war, where he went secluded at his villa, and instead of actually doing anything, he spent his time boasting about his unlikely rise to power, and how impressive that was.
Yet more proof (as if more proof was needed) that Donald Trump is Literally Double Hitler.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:46 AM   #287
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It is complicated. How about the Obama voters who voted for Trump in 2016?

How do you explain someone voting for Barack Obama and then voting for Donald Trump? In numbers high enough, that if they had voted for Clinton, she would have won easily? I think there are a lot of answers, it's not one reason.
I know a woman who voted for Obama as the "Change" candidate. She then voted for Trump because she said Obama didn't bring any real change but Trump would. I'm not sure what specific changes she was expecting.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:58 AM   #288
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The worst thing is, it has a high probability of occuring.
Would they have a compelling reason to accept any such invitation?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 11:22 AM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Would they have a compelling reason to accept any such invitation?
***** and giggles?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 12:44 PM   #290
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

If the lawsuit succeeds, Trump might be banned from working with any nonprofit organization for 10 years from when he leaves office.

Oh no!
such hardship!
Regardless of how things go, he is in trouble when he leaves office.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:57 PM   #291
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Regardless of how things go, he is in trouble when he leaves office.
Congress better pass that Enabling Act right after the mid-terms, then.

Has Trump spoken to Hindenburg yet? We might still have time to turn this thing around.

Let's hope nobody burns down the Capitol!
Old 5th October 2018, 01:18 PM   #292
newyorkguy
Philosopher

People who voted for Obama and then Trump (and many of them still feel positively towards Obama) did it because they wanted "change." These voters have been fairly consistent in the change they wanted. An end to the rich-get-richer-and-the-poor-get poorer reality of the past thirty years. People know their wages have stagnated; that raises do not keep up with inflation. They know their buying power and their standard-of-living have not increased. Here's some comments from the mayor of a (very) small town in North Carolina, a Democrat, who voted for Trump.
Quote:
Charlotte Griffin, the mayor of Bear Grass, N.C., a town of about 80 people in the eastern part of the state, said her vote for Mr. Trump was more an act of desperation than a positive political choice. She had grown furious with the national political class — and what she saw as its wealth, ignorance of ordinary people’s lives and inability to get anything done. It was the first time she’d chosen a Republican in 50 years of voting. Her county flipped to Mr. Trump after choosing Mr. Obama twice. “Did I really like Trump? No. I still don’t,” Ms. Griffin said in January. “But at least I thought we might move. We were in a stalemate. We were at dead center zero. We were just sitting there spinning our wheels.” news story link
A woman in Ohio who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 and Trump in 2016.
Quote:
Ms. Baker works at a hair salon in Stark County, Ohio, which flipped to Mr. Trump after choosing Mr. Obama twice, and she said the president was an economic disappointment. “[Trump]’s not there for the poor and the middle class,” she said, sitting on her mother’s couch in the small town of Rittman. “I thought he would be, but he’s not.”
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 01:22 PM   #293
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

So it turns out there is gawd afterall.... and she likes to hit the smite button every now and then.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 5th October 2018, 01:31 PM   #294
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
So it turns out there is gawd afterall.... and she likes to hit the smite button every now and then.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7c8006e514.gif
I can't imagine how weird it must feel, for someone to have that video as their consolation prize for the Trump presidency.
Old 5th October 2018, 01:41 PM   #295
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I can't imagine how weird it must feel, for someone to have that video as their consolation prize for the Trump presidency.
I dedicate this song to Donald Trump and you.

I AGREE

Boozoo Chavis, recorded 1954. Lyrics.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:04 PM   #296
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

And I can't imagine what it must be like needing to formulate an assumption about someone else's thought processes in order to justify and rationalize one's own inability to see beyond their cult worship because they've been programmed to believe any humour aimed at their messiah is considered heresy and should be spoken out against at every single turn.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:23 PM   #297
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And I can't imagine what it must be like needing to formulate an assumption about someone else's thought processes in order to justify and rationalize one's own inability to see beyond their cult worship because they've been programmed to believe any humour aimed at their messiah is considered heresy and should be spoken out against at every single turn.
Despite our many irreconcilable differences, I think we can at least agree that this post is hilariously ironic.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:30 PM   #298
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Despite our many irreconcilable differences, I think we can at least agree that this post is hilariously ironic.
You like that?

Yeah, I thought it was cleverly sardonic too.

Glad to see we can both enjoy the hypocrisy of the political circus going on south of the 49th parallel.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:59 PM   #299
C_Felix
Master Poster

Kinda sorta OT...

Remember that false missile warning in Hawai'i about...oh...9 months ago? Where the warning went out that an ICBM was on the way? And it happened just about 9 months ago?

I wonder if there's going to be spike in births in the next two weeks.

Last edited by C_Felix; 5th October 2018 at 03:01 PM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 05:34 PM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

Didn't you already make that point yesterday?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 06:10 PM   #301
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Are they running scared, or is election fraud just a force of habit at this point?
The latter can not be excluded. 35 YEARS of being sanctioned.

Last edited by SezMe; 5th October 2018 at 06:20 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 07:29 PM   #302
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I know a woman who voted for Obama as the "Change" candidate. She then voted for Trump because she said Obama didn't bring any real change but Trump would. I'm not sure what specific changes she was expecting.
Evidence of voters that have almost no information and a lot of magical thinking of what they are getting for their vote.
Old 5th October 2018, 09:54 PM   #303
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I AGREE

My god that is awesome.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:47 PM   #304
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
My god that is awesome.
And Snopes confirms it.

Did President Trump Board Air Force One with Paper Stuck to His Shoe?
Quote:
True
They were being polite not calling it TP in the title but they called it TP in the article.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:52 PM   #305
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
People who voted for Obama and then Trump (and many of them still feel positively towards Obama) did it because they wanted "change." These voters have been fairly consistent in the change they wanted. An end to the rich-get-richer-and-the-poor-get poorer reality of the past thirty years.
How on Earth is that a reason to vote for Trump?
Old 5th October 2018, 10:57 PM   #306
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Your loyalty to Mother Russia.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:19 PM   #307
Apathia
Illuminator

When you're desperate, you'll even try blood replacement therapy and leeches.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 11:36 PM   #308
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweets

"@RealJamesWoods
Whether you love or hate him, Trump’s ascendancy to the presidency was a once-in-a-century miracle. He was literally the Man Without a Party, yet beat 16 primary competitors and an opponent whose victory was her “manifest destiny.” It was a political feat unequaled in history."

Twitter Suspends James Woods. Woods Stands His Ground.
"I’m gone a week and @LindseyGrahamSC actually IS Spartacus."
-- James Woods (Oct 5, 2018)
Welcome back!

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 5th October 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 01:26 AM   #309
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Presumably the whole 'drain the swamp'-thing resonated heavily with that type of voter.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:03 AM   #310
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Presumably the whole 'drain the swamp'-thing resonated heavily with that type of voter.
Sure, but how can one make oneself trust it when it's coming from the creature from the Orange Lagoon?
Old 6th October 2018, 04:25 AM   #311
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Sure, but how can one make oneself trust it when it's coming from the creature from the Orange Lagoon?

I'd imagine that is the question a lot of such voters are asking themselves as buyers remorse sets in.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:21 AM   #312
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/Scott_Gilmore/st...84172264689664

Quote:
Yesterday, after an 18 month investigation, the NYT revealed the President of the United States committed hundreds of millions of dollars of tax fraud - possibly one of the biggest scandals in the history of the Presidency - and 24 hours later we're no longer talking about it.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:40 AM   #313
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

TP is more newsworthy.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:25 AM   #314
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It undoubtedly did resonate. Trump also campaigned on growing American jobs, raising wages, bringing back blue collar jobs from overseas, etc. These are some of the things he was Tweeting during the run-up to the campaign.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
The middle-class has worked so hard, are not getting the kind of jobs that they have long dreamed of - and no effective raise in years. BAD
8:30 AM - Dec 28, 2015

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Wages in are[sic] country are too low, good jobs are too few, and people have lost faith in our leaders.We need smart and strong leadership now! 8:50 AM - Dec 28, 2015 News link

The swing voters also did not know a whole lot about Donald Trump. I'm from New York, I've been exposed to him for thirty-five years. Trump has never been someone who holds up well in the long run. A New York City mayor once said, of all the people he'd had to deal with while in office, Trump was probably the greediest. He long ago gained a reputation in New York for being a self-aggrandizing phony.

But many people around the rest of the country seemed unaware of some of the criticism The Don got over the years. They never heard of the United States Football League, the Trump Shuttle. They knew very little about Atlantic City and the questionable strategy he followed there. They were of the opinion -- I heard this a number of times -- that they admired the fact that he was a businessman who suffered some business failures, yet regrouped and became even more successful. I think the television show The Apprentice helped him immeasurably, in introducing Trump to the rest of the U.S. and doing it on his terms.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 06:43 AM   #315
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

No big deal just the president's lawyer lifting up a call to freeze "anti-Christ" George Soros' assets.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 06:51 AM   #316
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

These video have real value. We know Trump is terrified of being laughed at. He hates it above all else. I hope this one gets more play. A real president would laugh it off, for Trump this sort of thing causes real suffering for him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 06:52 AM   #317
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wow.
Thanks to Guiliani for showcasing who's on the wrong side of history.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:04 AM   #318
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Good to see that the Republicans' avowed support of due process lasted a long time.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:07 AM   #319
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Good to see that the Republicans' avowed support of due process lasted a long time.
Just long enough to remove some autonomy that women have and minority voting rights.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 07:42 AM   #320
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

But many people around the rest of the country seemed unaware of some of the criticism The Don got over the years. They never heard of the United States Football League, the Trump Shuttle. They knew very little about Atlantic City and the questionable strategy he followed there. They were of the opinion -- I heard this a number of times -- that they admired the fact that he was a businessman who suffered some business failures, yet regrouped and became even more successful. I think the television show The Apprentice helped him immeasurably, in introducing Trump to the rest of the U.S. and doing it on his terms.
Exactly.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics