ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa

Old 23rd October 2018, 11:19 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Terrorism is, in the broadest sense, the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror among masses of people; or fear to achieve a financial, political, religious or ideological aim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism
Antifa uses violence to intimidate and suppress political dissent.

I'm not sure how you can have a meaningful definition of terrorism that excludes Antifa.
Well yeah, you just defined them as terrorists to show that they're terrorists. Very convincing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:21 AM   #42
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

If y'all want to say Antifa is to Democrats what Nazis are to Republicans, I'm good with that. You?

It's not true, as Antifa is explicitly anti fascist and not supportive of any political party, while Nazis run on a GOP platform, but I'm still good with saying it if it'll shut you up.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:22 AM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Maybe you'll consider reading the article I linked to that explains it?
Maybe it's in a different thread?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:23 AM   #44
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe it's in a different thread?
Yes, I was about to offer an apology for that. I thought I posted a link but did not.

Here's one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7927881.html
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:26 AM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Nazis have an end-goal.
Antifa wants to prevent that, not set up their own system.
So very different.
Bullcrap. Plenty of Antifa want to set up their own system
Problem with Antifa it is a loose coalition, some of who are pretty militant Neo Marxist who want a system as authoritarian and dictorial as anything the Nazis want.
Antifa also has an anarchist wing, which seems to be into destruction of property as some kind of inherenty revolutionary act.
ANd there are sincere Anti Fascist . It's a mixed bag.
I despise Nazis to no end, but lot's not have any illusions about ANtifa. Yeah, there are anti fascist, but some of them are peddling something which is no better then fascism.
I am really worried about the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" attiude I am seeing here. That is one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in today.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:28 AM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
If y'all want to say Antifa is to Democrats what Nazis are to Republicans, I'm good with that. You?

It's not true, as Antifa is explicitly anti fascist and not supportive of any political party, while Nazis run on a GOP platform, but I'm still good with saying it if it'll shut you up.
SOme is seeing Antifa though rose colored glasses, I see...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:28 AM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Where are explicitly antifa democrats running for major offices who won nominations? There are rather a number of explicitly nazi republicans after all. Unless saying hitler was right about the jews is not a nazi statement or some such.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:31 AM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm not one to quibble over semantics nor am I an Antifa expert, so I won't argue against. I would add "fringe" to the 5 word or less description.

But they sure as hell ain't Democrats. Antifa isn't supported by the Democratic power structure, and Antifa doesn't support the Democratic power structure. They are fringe outliers. Agreed?
Pretty much agreed. You have a fringe element in the Democratic party who flirts with Antifa....particulary in the SF Bay Area..but most desm think Antifa's antics if anything hurt them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:31 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes, I was about to offer an apology for that. I thought I posted a link but did not.

Here's one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7927881.html
No need to apologise. Posting the link is enough.

Thanks for the link. I now consider your claim substantiated, though they don't seem to have made this classification public yet.

Old 23rd October 2018, 11:34 AM   #50
ahhell
Graduate Poster

If you say "I'm anti-stupid" and I think, absent further information, that you mean "Anti-Belz...", then I probably think I'm stupid.

So why would conservatives assume anti-fascism means anti-them?
Probably because progressives keep calling them fascists.

If I say, "Belz is stupid" Then my friend(or even a later me) says that "I am anti-stupid" you might have good reason to think that I or they are anti belz as much as anit stupid no mater how not stupid you might be.

Last edited by ahhell; 23rd October 2018 at 11:36 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:37 AM   #51
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So serious question.

What are the standards for who is part of what group? If they say they are? If the larger group says they are? Pointing at the dictionary and grunting?

Because it seems we spend a lot of time fighting over which sub-group which larger group has to justify/apologize for/account for/some other variation therefore.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:39 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Probably because progressives keep calling them fascists.
If I say, "Belz is stupid" Then my friend(or even a later me) says that "I am anti-stupid" you might have good reason to think that I or they are anti belz as much as anit stupid no mater how not stupid you might be.
Let me get this straight. You think Antifa is anti-conservative because some other people call conservatives fascists. Does that make sense to you?

Old 23rd October 2018, 11:40 AM   #53
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Antifa is just OWS but with weapons
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:41 AM   #54
Venom
Graduate Poster

I just try to see every person, organization, entity on its own terms.

Until every high school graduate can do that like they do basic algebra the future looks bleak.

Last edited by Venom; 23rd October 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:43 AM   #55
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So serious question.

What are the standards for who is part of what group? If they say they are? If the larger group says they are? Pointing at the dictionary and grunting?

Because it seems we spend a lot of time fighting over which sub-group which larger group has to justify/apologize for/account for/some other variation therefore.
I don't know but it's important for the mainstream groups that on each side of the aisle to loudly and frequently distance themselves from the worst members of their coalition. Both to marginalize the worst groups and avoid being tarred by the association.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:47 AM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't know but it's important for the mainstream groups that on each side of the aisle to loudly and frequently distance themselves from the worst members of their coalition. Both to marginalize the worst groups and avoid being tarred by the association.
That seems like that's the sort of thing that's really, really important to people who think "The Political Spectrum" is... like a real thing that exists in nature as some law of the universe and isn't just a handy shorthand we created for common, but not inherent, statistical clustering.

Barbers don't have to apologize for murderers who decapitate their victims and they still wouldn't if we created an arbitrary spectrum of people based on how much of a body they cut off.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 23rd October 2018 at 11:59 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:53 AM   #57
baron
Philosopher

I just read up briefly on the Proud Boys.

Quote:
The Proud Boys say they have an initiation process that has four stages and includes hazing. The first stage is a loyalty oath, the second is getting punched until the person recites pop culture trivia, the third is getting a tattoo and agreeing to not masturbate, and the fourth is getting into a major fight 'for the cause.'
Whilst they sound just as violent and fascist as Anifa, they're a good deal funnier.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:57 AM   #58
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Bullcrap. Plenty of Antifa want to set up their own system
Possibly.

Not Antifa though.

Problem with Antifa it is a loose coalition, some of who are pretty militant Neo Marxist who want a system as authoritarian and dictorial as anything the Nazis want.
I'd like for you to provide evidence for this.

Antifa also has an anarchist wing, which seems to be into destruction of property as some kind of inherenty revolutionary act.
No, Antifa doesn't have an anarchist wing. Antifa doesn't have wings.

ANd there are sincere Anti Fascist . It's a mixed bag.
All of them are sincere anti-fascists.

I despise Nazis to no end, but lot's not have any illusions about ANtifa. Yeah, there are anti fascist, but some of them are peddling something which is no better then fascism.
Who?

I am really worried about the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" attiude I am seeing here. That is one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in today.
I get you. You don't want to have to fight for democracy, so you don't really want anyone else doing it either, as it reflects poorly on you.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:58 AM   #59
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Where are explicitly antifa democrats running for major offices who won nominations?
Absolutely nowhere to my knowledge.

Old 23rd October 2018, 11:59 AM   #60
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

So serious question.

If you say you're Antifa and you're anti-fascist, you're Antifa.

You can't apply for a charter.

Old 23rd October 2018, 12:21 PM   #61
Belz...
Fiend God

Possibly.

Not Antifa though.

Who?

I get you. You don't want to have to fight for democracy, so you don't really want anyone else doing it either, as it reflects poorly on you.
Sounds pretty defensive.

Do you have a counter-point to make to baron's link?

Old 23rd October 2018, 12:48 PM   #62
ahhell
Graduate Poster

That seems like that's the sort of thing that's really, really important to people who think "The Political Spectrum" is... like a real thing that exists in nature as some law of the universe and isn't just a handy shorthand we created for common, but not inherent, statistical clustering.

Barbers don't have to apologize for murderers who decapitate their victims and they still wouldn't if we created an arbitrary spectrum of people based on how much of a body they cut off.
Where I disagree, is that lots of folks, probably most believe the political spectrum is a thing, the place where appearances most matter is politics. I think there's value in making it clear, political violence is not cool and distancing yourself from extremists that others might associate with you regardless of whether you associate with said extremists.
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:53 PM   #63
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Where I disagree, is that lots of folks, probably most believe the political spectrum is a thing, the place where appearances most matter is politics. I think there's value in making it clear, political violence is not cool and distancing yourself from extremists that others might associate with you regardless of whether you associate with said extremists.
I distance myself from extremists. I simply don't think fighting fascists is an extremist position.

Old 23rd October 2018, 01:59 PM   #64
ahhell
Graduate Poster

I distance myself from extremists. I simply don't think fighting fascists is an extremist position.
IMHO, it very much matters what methods you use to fight fascism and who you call a fascist. As has been noted by others, since roughly the late 40s, fascist means whatever the speaker wants it too. Usually, people I don't like.
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:00 PM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

I distance myself from extremists.
Aren't you the one who went from supporting punching nazis to supporting punching an ever-growing group of people you find deplorable?

I'd call that a bit extremist, though it might just you being a keyboard warrior.

Old 23rd October 2018, 03:09 PM   #66
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

There are no good Antifa, just like there are no good Nazis (apart from dead ones, in both cases). Again, I stress I'm not an expert on US politics, but I don't see many conservatives balaclava'd up roaming the country doling out violence and intimidation to people whose speech they disagree with.
I am not defending them, and they are fictionalized, however:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:40 PM   #67
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Possibly.

Not Antifa though.

Who?

Look up the collective writings of Caveman1917.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:49 PM   #68
portlandatheist
Master Poster

We had an incident here in Portland recently where antifa closed down a street and then redirected traffic, fantasy role playing being traffic cops (emulating their enemy). Those that were not obedient and submissive to their authoritah were harassed and threatened (I suppose they must be fascists, racist, and alt right for being anti antifa)
The notion that they are "explicitly anti fascist" means nothing. So is Nashi, the Putin Youth movement. They go to demonstrations and beat up and intimidate anti Putin "fascists"
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:19 PM   #69
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I'm hoping this thread will focus on examples (or lack thereof) of significant Dems supporting Antifa.
Two pages later, running tally: 0
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:25 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Two pages later, running tally: 0
What did you expect? It's not like any significant republicans support neo Nazis.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:42 PM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Aren't you the one who went from supporting punching nazis to supporting punching an ever-growing group of people you find deplorable?

I'd call that a bit extremist, though it might just you being a keyboard warrior.
I repeat somebody is looking an Antifa through rose colored glasses.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:45 PM   #72
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Quote:
The Proud Boys say they have an initiation process that has four stages and includes hazing. The first stage is a loyalty oath, the second is getting punched until the person recites pop culture trivia, the third is getting a tattoo and agreeing to not masturbate, and the fourth is getting into a major fight 'for the cause.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE64797A-D738-4911-BF1E-3E1FE040F7E4.jpeg (70.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:45 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Explain why looting a small store during a demonstration is "fighting Fascism" as I personally saw some protestors, who I think would consider themselves Antifa do, when I was in Berkeley last year.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:47 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Weel, it confirms that the Proud Boys are total idiots.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:47 PM   #75
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

What did you expect? It's not like any significant republicans support neo Nazis.
Incorrect, no soup for you.

If a Democrat said that some of Antifa were very fine people, it would be cited and tallied.

If a Democrat re-tweeted Antifa on multiple instances, it would be cited and tallied.

If a Democrat pretended not to know what Antifa was, it probably wouldn't be tallied, but we'd all rightfully think this person was a liar who was catering to Antifa.

I could go on, and will do so later.

See, I answer your questions even though you ignore mine.
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:49 PM   #76
Thermal
Illuminator

No matter how you may feel about him, the President is not insignificant.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:06 PM   #77
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No matter how you may feel about him, the President is not insignificant.
Or being even more explicit in his support than thevpresident, Steve King.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:16 PM   #78
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Nazis have an end-goal.
Antifa wants to prevent that, not set up their own system.
So very different.
Not just very different, utter poles apart in philosophy. Anyone who thinks antifa and nazis are two chips off the same block, knows nothing about these fringe elements in politics, and hasn't been paying even the slightest attention.

Nazis and neo-Nazis are a structured, well organised group of thugs whose stated aim is white, Aryan supremacy. They hate blacks, hate Hispanics, and especially they hate Jews. The also hate whites who aren't with them (they call them "race traitors"). They are the embodiment of race hatred.

Antifa, on the other hand, are a disorganised rabble with a general aim of opposing Nazis anywhere they find them, and by any means necessary.

If Nazis were to disappear, antifa would disappear also. The same cannot be said of the reverse.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:17 PM   #79
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Supporting extrajudicial violence and vigilantism without due process of law is an extreme position and when you say you support fighting fascists, fascists according to whom exactly?
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...n_flag_to.html
Quote:
He brought an American flag to protest fascism in Portland. Then antifa attacked him
And as always, the onion nails it:
https://politics.theonion.com/antifa...-ra-1819580235
Quote:
BERKELEY, CA—Vowing to derail whichever event it is by any means necessary, local Antifa organizers announced plans Monday to disrupt an upcoming neo-Nazi rally or whatever else is going on that day. “We will stop at nothing to prevent these vile ******* neo-Nazi hatemongers from gathering, or, if not them, someone else,” said Sarah Jackson, 26, adding that the only way to end the spread of fascism is to physically confront Nazis, peaceful right-wing protesters, or just random people going about their daily lives. “We need to tell these Hitler-loving ***** or whoever else is standing there, ‘Get out of our city!’
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:24 PM   #80
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I am not defending them, and they are fictionalized, however:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I don't have to open that to know exactly what its going to be.....

"Gruppenfurhrer, get his number plate, we're going the kill the sonofabitch"
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics