ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , racism charges , racism issues , republicans , Steve King , white nationalism , white nationalists

Old 8th November 2018, 02:25 PM   #81
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by baron View Post
A right wing member of a right wing party with right wing views? It shouldn't be allowed.
Nice to see people admitting racism is part of the right wing. Finally.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 03:28 PM   #82
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm so bored of that word. Once it meant something. Not any more.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:37 PM   #83
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not one to quibble over semantics. What word do you propose we use to describe people who think their race is innately superior to other races?
Old 8th November 2018, 03:53 PM   #84
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

When everyone is a racist, white supremacist, transhomophobe, misogynist, then no-one is.
Old 8th November 2018, 04:17 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
They probably have me on ignore, as I already spoon-fed some. But hell, I'll do some more.

Say 'ahh', here comes the train! "Diversity is not our strength."

“What does this diversity bring that we don’t already have? Mexican food, Chinese food, those things — well, that’s fine. But what does it bring that we don’t have that is worth the price? We have a lot of diversity within the U.S. already.” - said supporting the arguments of neo-nazis while being interviewed on a neo-nazis show.

Latinos “calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.” he vomited forth.

“We add to our population approximately 1.8 million of ‘somebody else’s babies’ who are raised in another culture before they get to us. We are replacing our American culture 2 to 1 every year.” - talking about brown babies.

“This whole ‘white people’ business, though, does get a little tired, Charlie. I mean, I’d ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you’re talking about? Where did any other subgroup of people contribute to civilization?" on the concept of non-whites contributing to our culture.

And it goes on.
Thanks. I guess I should have done that, but felt that the "give me examples" routine was just a BS Delaying tactic, since I can't believe that anybody who is interested in US politics is not familiar with King and his long history of outreous statements.
ANd I see that one of our resident Neo Nazis does not like me very much. I take that as a huge compliment.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #86
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANd I see that one of our resident Neo Nazis does not like me very much. I take that as a huge compliment.
You'll need to more specific. The virulent racists are out in force.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:21 PM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A delusion about some deep plot by "people like [dudalb]" to literally slaughter "YOU AND YOUR GROUP" is the germ of a rationale for an eventual violent defense of "YOU AND YOUR GROUP" against those people, regardless of whether or not you profess in all honestly to be non-violent at the present time.

And your language about an "invasion" and "invaders" eerily echoes that of an individual who only days ago murdered several innocent people in a claimed attempt to protect "YOU AND YOUR GROUP" from the selfsame "invasion".

You can object to it being pointed out that these are red flags, but that's what they are nevertheless. And an act of violence isn't what makes such things red flags, it's just what sends future people into internet histories looking for them.
What makes this funny is that I would qualify as a 100% Aryan under ST's definition of White.

As for deep plot against ST's group, not true, but if there is a deep plot against the Neo Nazis and other assorted white surpremists, where the hell do I sign up?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:48 PM   #88
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

A right wing member of a right wing party with right wing views? It shouldn't be allowed.
Fallacious reduction. That this blatant racism is objected to does not mean people are saying either that it no right wing views are unobjectionable nor that the view should not 'be allowed'.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
When everyone is a racist, white supremacist, transhomophobe, misogynist, then no-one is.
Oh yeah, it's so the fault of the progs that you all refuse to even acknowledge blatant racism right in front of you all. That's great personal responsibility.

If you don't want to object or to care, fine. But that's on you both, not on anyone else. Own it. Own the consequences of it too.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:52 PM   #89
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks. I guess I should have done that, but felt that the "give me examples" routine was just a BS Delaying tactic, since I can't believe that anybody who is interested in US politics is not familiar with King and his long history of outreous statements.
Honestly while it is good practice to have documented support written out in the thread, or at least linked to, I can't blame you much in this specific case. It's clear that it would not have changed anything as my spoon-feeding several times hasn't changed the arguments at all anyway.

That's the thing about making good points or asking good questions to the GOP supporters; they either ignore it or announce how it is your fault they won't answer. Removing their own agency is the only way they have left to deal intellectually and emotionally with their actions. As the actions they have to defend get worse, the rationalizations will get worse, which in true allows for worse actions...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:45 PM   #90
xjx388
Philosopher

Ok...I wanted to hold my comments until I’d done my homework. I’ve done an exhaustive review of Mr. King’s publicly available comments over the years. I’ve looked especially for instances where perhaps he said something off the cuff and then later clarified his meaning. It would not be unusual for a politician’s comments to be exaggerated or their intent to be twisted.

That ************ racist. Like, straight up.

I’ve never been to Iowa and as a brown-skinned man, I hope I never have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8th November 2018, 06:31 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Ok...I wanted to hold my comments until I’d done my homework. I’ve done an exhaustive review of Mr. King’s publicly available comments over the years. I’ve looked especially for instances where perhaps he said something off the cuff and then later clarified his meaning. It would not be unusual for a politician’s comments to be exaggerated or their intent to be twisted.

I have been to Iowa, and I don't think it's fair to judge a whole state by a few jerks.
It's liking judging Texas by the actions of a few of the more obnoxious bigots who live there.
And I think most states have a elecotial district which appears to be inhabited by morons.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:07 PM   #92
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Off topic, but is there any word stupider than cuck?
For me, using it means the alt-right get some kind of sexual excitement out of the whole schtick. I wonder if it's some kind of projection...
Old 8th November 2018, 07:20 PM   #93
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Are you done with the broom yet, or do you have more generalizations to sweep?
Old 8th November 2018, 07:59 PM   #94
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I have been to Iowa, and I don't think it's fair to judge a whole state by a few jerks.
It's liking judging Texas by the actions of a few of the more obnoxious bigots who live there.
And I think most states have a elecotial district which appears to be inhabited by morons.
I have an East Indian friend (US citizen) who lives in Sugarland, outside Houston...a petrochemical engineer. He said he was afraid to put out his 'Obama' lawn sign in the 2008 and 2012 elections. It's that bad.

About the only place in TX I'd be comfortable living in is Austin, where my niece lives. It's a 'blue' enclave in the state. But I'd have to put up with TX weather, so even that's out. Retirement coming up in a few years and I'm going to stay right here in Oregon even though my retirement dollars would go farther in a lot of other places. I couldn't bear living someplace surrounded by Trumpers. I'd be a fish out of water.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 11:43 PM   #95
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, but the term "racism" has no meaning any more. You heard it here, so relax. The wise have spoken. Spring has sprung and the birdies in the trees are going tweet tweet tweet.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 01:03 AM   #96
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it shouldn't be given free airtime.
Old 9th November 2018, 01:12 AM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Not the writer, but the Iowa GOP congressman who embraces white nationalist politics and has made many openly racist statements?
Give me a excuse why the GOP should tolerate a man like that,and even reward him with some co chair positions. I know every party has it's kooks, but King is of a particular disgusting variety. Embrace him, you embrace bigotry.
He's both a Trump supporter and a bigot (not that there's a real difference). That makes him less than human. No person should lower themselves to engage with something that is less than them. His kind aren't people. You attack them, humiliate them, dehumanize them but you don't engage with them. I don't talk to the dog **** on the heel of my shoe, why would I talk with him?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:07 AM   #98
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Because what you call racism and white nationalism is literally someone in the current year attempting to represent the will of the founders, ALL previous generations of Americans and the interests of the actual intended citizenry of this nation.

The only alternative to being pro-white and white nationalist is to be:

1.) Anti-white
2.) Anti-American (literally, the country was founded as a white nationalist nation)
3.) Pro-invasion and pro-invaders
4.) In favor of whites losing political power and thus being at the mercy of groups which are actively being encouraged to hate our guts.

Ultimately, if people like you get your way, whites will be slaughtered at some point in the process (edit: and prior to that point, there will be a lot of ever-increasing legally enshrined moves to discriminate against whites, take property and wealth from them, etc.). It is NOT a good idea for any group to lose control over their space(s.) It does not tend to work out well for them.

The White Race will get blended away over time either way. Get used to it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:19 AM   #99
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There never was a White Race - there are only accidents of history that cause some genetic pools to stay moderately stable for a time.
Old 9th November 2018, 06:03 AM   #100
Border Reiver
Philosopher

You may have overlooked - "Decent human being who recognizes past mistakes and works to correct them" in favour of being afraid.

I get it, white nationalists are afraid that of the bankruptcy of their beliefs and that they will be the ones that will be the example of what not to do. Historically nationalist groups of any background fail when confronted by outside forces prepared to adapt, or just a refusal to accept that they aren't the be all and end all:

Nazi Germany - Fail (and failed hard);
Fascist Italy - Fail;
Imperial Russia - fail;
Argentina under the Junta - fail;
Imperial Japan - fail;
Imperial China - fail;
Chile under Pinochet - fail;
Rhodesia - fail;
Zimbabwe - fail;
etc.

Essentially, you can a. support an ideology that can be historically demonstrated to be destined to fail and hope that when it does that you won't be around, or b. you can adapt and you and your descendants can thrive. Option b. takes courage though
Old 9th November 2018, 06:16 AM   #101
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

The question with Steve King:

Is he popular in his district because he is racist, or does his popularity in his district give him the freedom to express odious ideas?

If you feel your seat is very secure, you might feel free to say what you really think.

It is shameful that his comments don't disqualify him in the minds of his constituents. They don't have to vote in a liberal, just primary him with someone equally conservative that isn't a white supremacist.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:23 AM   #102
ahhell
Graduate Poster

I suspect a lot of people have no idea who is. The only thing I know about him his his long history of saying stupid and offense things. I suspect, its only the people that pay a lot of attention to US politics have any idea who he is.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 07:30 AM   #103
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Bullhonkies.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:13 AM   #104
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on what you're actually scared of? I honestly don't understand the motivation behind white supremacy or how membership in various groups is determined. . .
Not whining and I get plenty of attention elsewhere, but when I reply in these threads with basic, logical questions to those espousing white nationalist ideals I get <crickets> in return. I can only conclude that these folks lack a logical justification for their fears, and that's a solidly poor look just about anywhere, but especially so here at the International Skeptics Forum.

Also very much in agreement that use of cuck as some kind of insult is perhaps one of the most juvenile (and oddly fetishized) rhetorical devices I've ever seen. Is this the ISF or some kind of high school Jordan Peterson fan club?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:15 AM   #105
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Racism is not some boogeyman that SJW's created to attack white people.

Do I agree with every way, every instance, every scenario, every language, every so and so way that Progressives sometimes conceptualize racism? No. But that doesn't make it non-issue.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 11:22 AM   #106
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I suspect a lot of people have no idea who is. The only thing I know about him his his long history of saying stupid and offense things. I suspect, its only the people that pay a lot of attention to US politics have any idea who he is.
The point is the people who were asking me to "prove" that King made racist statements make a lot of political comments here and it's pretty clear they follows US politics closely. If it would have been a "honest" question where the guy did not know who King was I would have obliged, but someone as familiar with US politics as the questioners have shown htemesleves to be I consider it a BS question to evade the issue.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2018, 03:41 PM   #107
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Because what you call racism and white nationalism is literally someone in the current year attempting to represent the will of the founders, ALL previous generations of Americans and the interests of the actual intended citizenry of this nation.

1.) Anti-white
2.) Anti-American (literally, the country was founded as a white nationalist nation)
3.) Pro-invasion and pro-invaders
4.) In favor of whites losing political power and thus being at the mercy of groups which are actively being encouraged to hate our guts.

Ultimately, if people like you get your way, whites will be slaughtered at some point in the process (edit: and prior to that point, there will be a lot of ever-increasing legally enshrined moves to discriminate against whites, take property and wealth from them, etc.). It is NOT a good idea for any group to lose control over their space(s.) It does not tend to work out well for them.

It is currently the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht.

That is where your political views lead.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:09 PM   #108
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The point is the people who were asking me to "prove" that King made racist statements make a lot of political comments here and it's pretty clear they follows US politics closely. If it would have been a "honest" question where the guy did not know who King was I would have obliged, but someone as familiar with US politics as the questioners have shown htemesleves to be I consider it a BS question to evade the issue.
Pretty much my only regular exposure to politics is the discussions that go on in this forum. If you don't post it here, I'll probably never see it. And probably never care.

I don't need you to prove that King's made racist statements. I do think it's hilarious that you cannot even come up with an example of the thing this thread was supposedly created to discuss.

And the quoted passage is exactly what I mean when I talk about Internet slapfights. Even if King is, somehow, defensible, there's no point in trying to defend him here, because his detractors here aren't arguing in good faith anyway.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:14 PM   #109
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pretty much my only regular exposure to politics is the discussions that go on in this forum. If you don't post it here, I'll probably never see it. And probably never care.

I don't need you to prove that King's made racist statements. I do think it's hilarious that you cannot even come up with an example of the thing this thread was supposedly created to discuss.

And the quoted passage is exactly what I mean when I talk about Internet slapfights. Even if King is, somehow, defensible, there's no point in trying to defend him here, because his detractors here aren't arguing in good faith anyway.

There are quotes on this thread:

If you didn't know if there was anything defensible or not, why make a comment that indicates the reason you're not going defend King is that it would be an internet slap fest?

The entire 'I'm not going to discuss this with you, but let me discuss discussing this with you' right from the second post is just weird.

This article links to many other articles about what King has said and done.

Some highlights: Retweeted white supremacists tweets expressing white supremacists ideas (not like not knowing it was a white supremacist because the tweet was about cat pictures or something), more than once.

Supported a white supremacist candidate for Toranto's mayor.

On a trip organized by a Holocaust memorial group to teach about Jewish and Holocaust history, he met with and was supportive of literal, honest to goodness neo-Nazis.

At that meeting he opined that diversity wasn't worth the cost, even factoring in Mexican food and Chinese food (not even joking). He also made the point that the ******* Neo-Nazis wouldn't be considered 'far-right' in the US like they are in Europe, and would fit right in with the Republican party.

You know, the very claim you've decried before when it's coming from progressives, or liberals, or Democrats, or former Republicans, or independents. So I doubt you do want to defend him. He really is awful in exactly the ways the OP asserts and ways you're not a fan of either.
They probably have me on ignore, as I already spoon-fed some. But hell, I'll do some more.

Say 'ahh', here comes the train! "Diversity is not our strength."

“What does this diversity bring that we don’t already have? Mexican food, Chinese food, those things — well, that’s fine. But what does it bring that we don’t have that is worth the price? We have a lot of diversity within the U.S. already.” - said supporting the arguments of neo-nazis while being interviewed on a neo-nazis show.

Latinos “calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.” he vomited forth.

“We add to our population approximately 1.8 million of ‘somebody else’s babies’ who are raised in another culture before they get to us. We are replacing our American culture 2 to 1 every year.” - talking about brown babies.

“This whole ‘white people’ business, though, does get a little tired, Charlie. I mean, I’d ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you’re talking about? Where did any other subgroup of people contribute to civilization?" on the concept of non-whites contributing to our culture.

And it goes on.

UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 06:13 PM   #110
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why prove it when you can just accuse him and make it stick? King isn't a person. No rule of honor or civility applies.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 11:27 PM   #111
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why prove it when you can just accuse him and make it stick? King isn't a person. No rule of honor or civility applies.
Well, that has been his motto...
Old 9th November 2018, 11:38 PM   #112
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

If it would have been a "honest" question where the guy did not know who King was I would have obliged, but someone as familiar with US politics as the questioners have shown htemesleves to be I consider it a BS question to evade the issue.
It is always amazing when people who seem eager to jump in and dispute an issue then begin a line of questioning that implies they're unfamiliar with the most basic facts of the case.

Although I suspect there's as much chance they were looking for an opportunity to spring the ancient White proverb of "But how is that racist?"
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 12:21 AM   #113
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

>snip<

Even if King is, somehow, defensible, there's no point in trying to defend him here, because his detractors here aren't arguing in good faith anyway.
And you know his how? Would you care to provide another reason we "detractors" would decry his racism? Racism he exposes by his own words that have been provided in this very thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 02:10 AM   #114
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I am against King and I am against you. But all 3 of us are humans and persons. Now figure out how I am against both of you.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:09 AM   #115
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm not one to quibble over semantics. What word do you propose we use to describe people who think their race is innately superior to other races?
Why do we need to use a word? That's rhetorical, I know the answer, it's so we can dismiss somebody without bothering to argue against their views. It's not just that the word 'racist' is routinely flopped out as a blanket condemnation, but also that the implications are apparently absolute. A racist's ideas aren't worth discussing. Whatever they do is evil and they, as a person, are filth. The objective is not to challenge and debate but to get a label to stick, whether it's to a person, a group, a political party or 30% of a country's population. Just look at the OP. The ideas of this King character are irrelevant, we just want people to try and defend the scumbag, then they can be called racist and dismissed in turn. Because that's an internet win. It's so pathetic.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:16 AM   #116
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Why do we need to use a word? That's rhetorical, I know the answer, it's so we can dismiss somebody without bothering to argue against their views. It's not just that the word 'racist' is routinely flopped out as a blanket condemnation, but also that the implications are apparently absolute. A racist's ideas aren't worth discussing. Whatever they do is evil and they, as a person, are filth. The objective is not to challenge and debate but to get a label to stick, whether it's to a person, a group, a political party or 30% of a country's population. Just look at the OP. The ideas of this King character are irrelevant, we just want people to try and defend the scumbag, then they can be called racist and dismissed in turn. Because that's an internet win. It's so pathetic.
Not just that! If a racist is a person, who doesn't view some other persons as persons, it is okay not to view a racist as a person. Which means the racist has won, it is okay not to view other persons as non-persons.
I will not defend a racist, but I will defend him/her as a person.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:22 AM   #117
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
Not just that! If a racist is a person, who doesn't view some other persons as persons, it is okay not to view a racist as a person. Which means the racist has won, it is okay not to view other persons as non-persons.
I will not defend a racist, but I will defend him/her as a person.
I won't even go into what this country (the UK) and indeed the world, would be like today if it weren't for a certain racist called Winston Churchill.

Last edited by baron; 10th November 2018 at 03:23 AM.
baron is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 03:37 AM   #118
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

I won't even go into what this country (the UK) and indeed the world, would be like today if it weren't for a certain racist called Winston Churchill.
Well, I will listen to all humans and compare their values to mine.
Should Winston Churchill be condemned for being a racist? Yes, but only in a limited sense. He was from another time and thus our standards don't apply.

Should we speak out against Steve King? Yes, but we should still treat him as a human.

As for whether we should listen to a racist? Yes, but we can reject her/his points on racism in general. If the racist has other points, then separate those. But back again, I will listen to a racist, but I reject racism in any form.

Now if you want to make a point of debating race as connected to science, we can do that. But if you want me to accept that some races are better in a value sense, I will call you a racist and stand by that.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:42 AM   #119
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

If anyone was making that argument, then you'd have a point. However that is only in your imagination.

What is the world coming to when one can't proclaim white supremacy without being called a racist? It's political correctness gone mad.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Now that is remarkably inane in the context of King.

He supports proponents of the White Genocide theory. He is a racist and supporter of neo Nazis and of parties founded by actual SS members. He believes that there is a White Genocide that has to be stopped. And this is what he considers acceptable to say in public.
Old 10th November 2018, 04:11 AM   #120
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
He believes that there is a White Genocide that has to be stopped. And this is what he considers acceptable to say in public.
This is what I mean. Instead of challenging his views we're invited to entirely dismiss him and everything he stands for and everything with which he is associated in one fell swoop. And as if that's not enough we're told he probably has even more extreme views in private! You know, probably. Ever wondered why people who interview the likes of Stephen Molyneux and Jared Taylor frequently come unstuck? It's not because the latter have hit upon some revolutionary truth, or even that they're speaking logically half the time, but because the interviewers think that flinging mud will be enough to get them through. And it's not, and that's why people like this are experiencing a recent surge of support because when it comes down to actual debate and engagement, they dominate. Ten years ago, maybe even a couple of years ago, the label of racist was enough to dismiss a person out of hand but the technique is so cliched and overused that it retains little of its power, and in the absence of effective opposition the far right is going from strength to strength right across the Western world.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics