ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 7th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #1
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
Baroque Music - for the glory of the cosmos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX8w5JNtzDQ

Ok, no where in this case does Telemann draw a connection between this piece and the cosmos.
It's just a semi abstract sense of awe and wonder I get sometimes where the massiveness, complexity, science, math and beauty of the natural world and cosmos seems to be the foundation from which an expression of beauty has sprung.
Hard for me to articulate properly. Perhaps when Bach said (honestly or not) that he wrote music for the 'glory of God'. It's that feeling, but instead of "god" its the cosmos.
The rhythm of the planets, the awesomeness of the stars, it all comes together for me with baroque music. Maybe because of rhythm of the music and the structure of the harmonies.

Sure I like Holtz's "The Planets" but (for me) its a slightly more 'emotional' work and a bit less 'mathematical'.

What about other music and other art forms - visual arts, poetry, literature?

What else gives 'glory to the cosmos?'

Closest I find in poetry so far is Mary Oliver, though she is much more about nature. Still love her stuff though.

BTW, Attempts to turn this thread into some sort of religious/theistic conversation will be literally ignored by me, sorry but there is at least 1 member here that cares so much about what I say he/she can't help trying to take over the thread,
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
Perhaps the structure and beauty of the music is reflecting the structure and beauty of the cosmos and the natural world. Or that the music (or other art forms) are the pinnacle of.....achievement, of the natural world.

Last edited by The Sparrow; 7th November 2018 at 01:41 PM.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:52 PM   #3
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
sputter....sputter......./thread
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 07:42 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 46,466
Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
It's just a semi abstract sense of awe and wonder I get sometimes where the massiveness, complexity, science, math and beauty of the natural world and cosmos seems to be the foundation from which an expression of beauty has sprung.
Indeed.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #5
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
hmmmm
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Myles
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
I like those who go for baroque.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:02 AM   #7
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I like those who go for baroque.
Boom-tish
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 75,879
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I like those who go for baroque.
You give puns a bad rap.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #9
MartinGibbs
Scholar
 
MartinGibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX8w5JNtzDQ

Ok, no where in this case does Telemann draw a connection between this piece and the cosmos.
It's just a semi abstract sense of awe and wonder I get sometimes where the massiveness, complexity, science, math and beauty of the natural world and cosmos seems to be the foundation from which an expression of beauty has sprung.
Hard for me to articulate properly. Perhaps when Bach said (honestly or not) that he wrote music for the 'glory of God'. It's that feeling, but instead of "god" its the cosmos.
The rhythm of the planets, the awesomeness of the stars, it all comes together for me with baroque music. Maybe because of rhythm of the music and the structure of the harmonies.

Sure I like Holtz's "The Planets" but (for me) its a slightly more 'emotional' work and a bit less 'mathematical'.

What about other music and other art forms - visual arts, poetry, literature?

What else gives 'glory to the cosmos?'

Closest I find in poetry so far is Mary Oliver, though she is much more about nature. Still love her stuff though.

BTW, Attempts to turn this thread into some sort of religious/theistic conversation will be literally ignored by me, sorry but there is at least 1 member here that cares so much about what I say he/she can't help trying to take over the thread,
Definitely NOT Baroque, but there is an entire sub-genre of metal called "atmospheric" or "space-metal"... for stuff that starts mild and builds, I highly recommend Midnight Odyssey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfd2jZTd5fM
__________________
"Systems Analyst"
MartinGibbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #10
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Canada
Posts: 1,601
Originally Posted by MartinGibbs View Post
Definitely NOT Baroque, but there is an entire sub-genre of metal called "atmospheric" or "space-metal"... for stuff that starts mild and builds, I highly recommend Midnight Odyssey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfd2jZTd5fM
That's interesting. It is like "heavy" ambient.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:03 PM   #11
fagin
Philosopher
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 6,684
I kind of dig the Blues, man.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 03:42 AM   #12
TX50
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,905
It's obvious. J.S. Bach was an alien.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 06:30 AM   #13
Aber
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,384
Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
It's obvious. J.S. Bach was an alien.
Or at least a temporal anomaly:

Quote:
Upon arrival back in the 20th century, Gently, MacDuff, and Prof. Chronotis find small changes as a result of their actions, including the existence of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, which had not existed in their original timeline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_G...tective_Agency
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.