ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #1
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Baroque Music - for the glory of the cosmos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX8w5JNtzDQ

Ok, no where in this case does Telemann draw a connection between this piece and the cosmos.
It's just a semi abstract sense of awe and wonder I get sometimes where the massiveness, complexity, science, math and beauty of the natural world and cosmos seems to be the foundation from which an expression of beauty has sprung.
Hard for me to articulate properly. Perhaps when Bach said (honestly or not) that he wrote music for the 'glory of God'. It's that feeling, but instead of "god" its the cosmos.
The rhythm of the planets, the awesomeness of the stars, it all comes together for me with baroque music. Maybe because of rhythm of the music and the structure of the harmonies.

Sure I like Holtz's "The Planets" but (for me) its a slightly more 'emotional' work and a bit less 'mathematical'.

What about other music and other art forms - visual arts, poetry, literature?

What else gives 'glory to the cosmos?'

Closest I find in poetry so far is Mary Oliver, though she is much more about nature. Still love her stuff though.

BTW, Attempts to turn this thread into some sort of religious/theistic conversation will be literally ignored by me, sorry but there is at least 1 member here that cares so much about what I say he/she can't help trying to take over the thread,
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Perhaps the structure and beauty of the music is reflecting the structure and beauty of the cosmos and the natural world. Or that the music (or other art forms) are the pinnacle of.....achievement, of the natural world.

Last edited by The Sparrow; 7th November 2018 at 01:41 PM.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:52 PM   #3
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

sputter....sputter......./thread
Old 7th November 2018, 07:42 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
It's just a semi abstract sense of awe and wonder I get sometimes where the massiveness, complexity, science, math and beauty of the natural world and cosmos seems to be the foundation from which an expression of beauty has sprung.
Indeed.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #5
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

hmmmm
Old 7th November 2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Myles
Scholar

I like those who go for baroque.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:02 AM   #7
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Boom-tish
Old 8th November 2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
You give puns a bad rap.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #9
MartinGibbs
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX8w5JNtzDQ

Ok, no where in this case does Telemann draw a connection between this piece and the cosmos.
Hard for me to articulate properly. Perhaps when Bach said (honestly or not) that he wrote music for the 'glory of God'. It's that feeling, but instead of "god" its the cosmos.
The rhythm of the planets, the awesomeness of the stars, it all comes together for me with baroque music. Maybe because of rhythm of the music and the structure of the harmonies.

Sure I like Holtz's "The Planets" but (for me) its a slightly more 'emotional' work and a bit less 'mathematical'.

What about other music and other art forms - visual arts, poetry, literature?

What else gives 'glory to the cosmos?'

Closest I find in poetry so far is Mary Oliver, though she is much more about nature. Still love her stuff though.

BTW, Attempts to turn this thread into some sort of religious/theistic conversation will be literally ignored by me, sorry but there is at least 1 member here that cares so much about what I say he/she can't help trying to take over the thread,
Definitely NOT Baroque, but there is an entire sub-genre of metal called "atmospheric" or "space-metal"... for stuff that starts mild and builds, I highly recommend Midnight Odyssey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfd2jZTd5fM
Old 8th November 2018, 04:18 PM   #10
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MartinGibbs View Post
Definitely NOT Baroque, but there is an entire sub-genre of metal called "atmospheric" or "space-metal"... for stuff that starts mild and builds, I highly recommend Midnight Odyssey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfd2jZTd5fM
That's interesting. It is like "heavy" ambient.
Old 8th November 2018, 05:03 PM   #11
fagin
Philosopher

I kind of dig the Blues, man.
Old 9th November 2018, 03:42 AM   #12
TX50
Graduate Poster

It's obvious. J.S. Bach was an alien.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 06:30 AM   #13
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
It's obvious. J.S. Bach was an alien.
Or at least a temporal anomaly:

Quote:
Upon arrival back in the 20th century, Gently, MacDuff, and Prof. Chronotis find small changes as a result of their actions, including the existence of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, which had not existed in their original timeline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_G...tective_Agency
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts