IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , bigfoot

Old 1st February 2021, 09:02 AM   #1921
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Drew, that's my neighborhood, literally.

The Park service put a lid on this story. When questioned they quickly redirected me to their press release/media spokesperson Helen Hunt. "If you want details of the Bigfoot incident you'll need to go to Helen Hunt."

Yet, I did find a few details through local interactions anyway. The guy that fired the gun was not charged. Brad Ginn and his girl were not injured but also confirmed hearing strange sounds/noises that night. The Park officially closed down two camping/day use areas and the Green River ferry immediately after the incident. All areas closed were near the Green River and the location of the supposed Bigfoot incident.
Chris-
Yes ! you are our Kentucky Bigfoot correspondent. Thanks for the update.

Have you tried to contact the people involved?

Are you insinuating that maybe there was an actual Bigfoot shooting incident, that led to the closures and the wall of silence?

If so, please provide more info. You can't just let them brush this over. Do you have any correspondence from Helen Hunt?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:46 AM   #1922
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Chris-
Yes ! you are our Kentucky Bigfoot correspondent. Thanks for the update.

Have you tried to contact the people involved?

Are you insinuating that maybe there was an actual Bigfoot shooting incident, that led to the closures and the wall of silence?

If so, please provide more info. You can't just let them brush this over. Do you have any correspondence from Helen Hunt?
Drew, from my source, I wasn't able to find out the name of the guy that fired the shots only that he was not charged. This is kinda odd that he was not cited for discharging a firearm within the boundaries of the Park. While allowed to carry within the National Park, it is illegal to discharge your firearm.

"Use of Firearms
Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 36 CFR 2.4(b) and 13.30(c). In parks where hunting is specifically mandated or authorized by federal statute, firearms may be used to hunt in accordance with NPS regulations and state laws. 36 CFR 2.2.

Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife."

No hunting is allowed within Mammoth Cave National Park. And the regulation specifically states you should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife, yet everyone has a right to protect themselves when they feel their life is in danger.

I've talked to one source that believes the shooter was released because he may have had a run in with a black bear. Another good source confirmed this but also added they personally believe the guy may have seen something else as it would have to be closer to the size of a grizzly and we don't have any of those. It's only speculation at this point.

Black bears are making a come back in this area and would better explain a destroyed campsite logically.

But then we have to explain the closings. The ferry was due for upcoming maintenance so closing it a bit early is not too far fetched, check.

The closures of the day use and camping areas are a problem. When you shut down certain areas of the Park, something is going on. If it's about a bear why the need for secrecy? Why do we need to cancel canoe trips? Why do we need to shut down the remote camping areas near the river and only let people camp at the main entrance? The appearance of secrecy is the problem.

This kind of secrecy has happened here before with the Mountain Lion sightings in the Park. There were several sightings reported years ago and all were kept quiet, most laughed it off. Up until a Mountain Lion visited the main office parking lot and jumped on and over a car in direct view of Park employees. Only then was a small press release to appear in the local paper about "We've been receiving a few sighting reports" and what to do if you are confronted with a Mountain Lion in the Park.

Regarding Helen Hunt, she's an inside joke Steve and I use when we're being stonewalled during an investigation. It's them saying: "If you want information about this, go to "hell and hunt" for it. Unfortunately it's become common practice with the Park Service.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:02 AM   #1923
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

nvm

Last edited by Resume; 2nd February 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 07:56 AM   #1924
Drewbot
Philosopher

Welp, I got banned from BFF after appox. 20 years.

I don't know why.

I started posting again last week, Norseman and The new guy at LANE COUNTY BIGFOOTERS must have been mad at me.

Lane County Bigfooters are the group that won the BFF's $2000 prize this year.
I voted for them even.

It is a sad day. I outlasted even the good skeptics like Saskeptic.

On my Banned page, the last warning listed is from 2014.
I don't even know what I did.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:45 AM   #1925
mysteriousmonsters65
New Blood

I used to be a member there years ago but lost interest shortly after the Greg Long book came out. Back then I was a solid lean to the non existence side and that book sealed the deal. Just could never take bigfoot with any seriousness again after the revelations I read from Long. I stayed on that board for maybe another 6 months and just could not stomach all the blind loyalty to the maniacal belief in that film and Bob Gimlin, etc. after their bubble was burst. Too cultish there and I pity some of them a bit for being mislead by all the carnival barking profiteers in that field.
mysteriousmonsters65 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:29 AM   #1926
Drewbot
Philosopher

I don't know why.

I started posting again last week, Norseman and The new guy at LANE COUNTY BIGFOOTERS must have been mad at me.

I voted for them even.

My last warning was 2016, not 2014
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:43 AM   #1927
mysteriousmonsters65
New Blood

Getting back to the topic, I think one of my favorite bigfoot "enthusiasts" has to be Robert W Morgan. I once heard him claim on Art Bell's show back in the early 2000's that due to audio cassettes he sold, that 16 people had had face to face encounters with the big ape. I cannot post links yet but you can find the episode on youtube by typing in "Robert W Morgan bugs Art Bell".
In the move Bigfoot: Man or Beast ? as he and his team were "closing" in on the giant ape man in Ape Canyon, a fire broke out and he was claiming the planes, firefighters and helicopters scared away the shy great beast. This guy is a hoot. I'm sure there are many more examples of his strange stories. I know he had a book out that I think is based on his miracle audio tapes to attract the big fella. Just don't have a gun, share your meal with the ape man and he will bring you a gift like a stick or something.

Last edited by mysteriousmonsters65; 3rd February 2021 at 11:47 AM.
mysteriousmonsters65 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 07:49 AM   #1928
Drewbot
Philosopher

I don't know why.

I have been reached out to, by several BFF members and one of them gave me their back up account log in info. It is good that one of the longest lasting BFF skeptics can stay up to date.

I will be posting anything I learn about Lane County Bigfoot in a new thread that I will start.

I think you will be delighted by the lack of evidence.
Including track photos with a different item for scale used in each photo.

Not a ruler or anything, but things like you might have in your pocket.
Flashlights, quarters etc...

Mind you, they won best researcher this year. And were given 2000.00 by the Footers.
Old 5th February 2021, 03:25 AM   #1929
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I don't know why.

I voted for them even.

Well that's typical. I've not been a member there for years now. It seemed to be attracting the habituation folks more and more back then. The ones that Bigfoot "visited daily" yet they were never able to provide one shred of evidence to back up their claims. If anyone pressed them about it, warnings were issued. What a crock. I felt as though the whole thing was turning into an "overt safe space" at the time I left.

IMO, you're better off without the BFF. If they can't handle a bit of healthy skepticism there's not much room for healthy research or thought.

(Healthy skepticism would not include "He's afraid of the dark" or "He gets out of breath when he climbs hills.")
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 07:47 AM   #1930
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by mysteriousmonsters65 View Post
Getting back to the topic, I think one of my favorite bigfoot "enthusiasts" has to be Robert W Morgan. I once heard him claim on Art Bell's show back in the early 2000's that due to audio cassettes he sold, that 16 people had had face to face encounters with the big ape. I cannot post links yet but you can find the episode on youtube by typing in "Robert W Morgan bugs Art Bell".
In the move Bigfoot: Man or Beast ? as he and his team were "closing" in on the giant ape man in Ape Canyon, a fire broke out and he was claiming the planes, firefighters and helicopters scared away the shy great beast. This guy is a hoot. I'm sure there are many more examples of his strange stories. I know he had a book out that I think is based on his miracle audio tapes to attract the big fella. Just don't have a gun, share your meal with the ape man and he will bring you a gift like a stick or something.

Come on, everyone knows that Bigfoot isn't scared of helicopters. There was a guy here (Sweaty Yeti?) years ago that posted a picture of a Bigfoot having a stare down with a helicopter.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 08:57 AM   #1931
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Come on, everyone knows that Bigfoot isn't scared of helicopters. There was a guy here (Sweaty Yeti?) years ago that posted a picture of a Bigfoot having a stare down with a helicopter.
We know Bigfoots are not afraid of large military vehicles, airships and things of that nature.

That was Creekfreak, with the helicopter fighting a fire in the Florida swamp.

We also had Bill Munns who wanted to fly in a welded cage under a helicopter, over the trees, with a camera in hand.

We had Longtabber who said he had one peer over the top of an M111 Infantry fighting vehicle.

And most recently, we had Jeff Meldrum pushing the idea that A giant freaking Blimp wouldn't scare the Bigfoots.

Old 11th February 2021, 09:06 AM   #1932
Monza
Alta Viro

Thank you. I forgot about the blimp proposal.

This reminds me of my research that indicates Bigfoot is unafraid of Lamborghinis. Please contribute to my Go Fund Me so I may purchase said Lamborghini. I will drive around and look for Bigfoot, and you all will be the first to know if I find him.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 09:44 PM   #1933
GT/CS
Illuminator

I think Creek also had a Bigfoot-hunting swamp boat.

Last edited by GT/CS; 11th February 2021 at 09:48 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 08:23 AM   #1934
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
With a harpoon.
Old 12th February 2021, 09:45 AM   #1935
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
With a harpoon.
I wonder if the Blimp had a weapon...

Old 12th February 2021, 08:36 PM   #1936
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
The "Floyd-squatch" according to Mr. Floyd (in his first comment in the comment section):

"Do I think Sasquatch/Bigfoot is real? Technically it is, without a doubt, since Gigantopithecus once roamed our world and this creature is essentially a quadrupedal (but possibly bipedal) Squatch-like species! The Hominoid Paranthropus also once existed, and this species is similar to depictions of Sasquatch as well! Sasquatch could also be representative of something far more complex that we do not understand, such as multi-verses overlapping and entities thus slipping into our world from another!

My personal view as to what constitutes whether or not something is "real" is not entirely dependent on material existence though, which is my I lend some credence to that final statement! For example, my ideas and my imagination are real but immaterial. I can see them, feel them, and be impacted by them. So despite them not being something one can hold, they are definitely real! It is thus up to me to bring them to "life" by bringing them into a form that others in this material world can see and experience!

I am a Science Teacher, and while this is a rather unscientific thing to stay I stand by it! Perhaps we need to broaden our minds as to what we accept and consider as being "real"! In other words, Sasquatch is currently definitely "real" in an "immaterial world" apart from ours since at the very least it exists in our collective minds! We just need to figure out if it also exists in our world in a material form!"
Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."
I'm only a very casual follower of what's going on in "Bigfoot World"; I only even check this thread maybe once or twice a year. So my observations might be weak, late, or completely wrong. But anyway:

The idea of Bigfoot as some kind of supernatural creature with magical powers, or as a "projection" or whatnot produced by some supernatural thing with magical powers - as opposed to being an otherwise completely mundane animal that science just doesn't acknowledge yet - is not new at all; but I do find it seeming to be more popular these days. Paulides is an especially big promoter of Supernatural Bigfoot. The person on that video most definitely is; the whole act about suddenly feeling dizzy and having headaches when he began playing the Floyd sounds was meant to imply that he was being affected by some kind of special "ability" of the Bigfoots to make target people feel physically ill, a alleged superpower that is popularly attributed to Supernatural Bigfoot by supporters of that theory.

I sometimes wonder if Normal-Animal-Bigfoot believers are in tension with Supernatural Bigfoot believers or if they just prefer to think the latter don't exist.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 09:45 AM   #1937
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Don't forget Norsemans/Army of Bigfoot Hunters, Grendel Project the ultimate role playing gone bad, delusional grown men, hunting their imaginary monster, with the intent of killing it......hmmmmm.
Nah nothing can go wrong there, when the most outstanding trait of your quarry is, it walks on two legs, but hey they're Pros at discerning between a hiker and a giant monkey man.....right?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 09:49 AM   #1938
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I think Jodie claims to have met him, could be wrong she has claimed alot of things.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 08:19 PM   #1939
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Thank you. I forgot about the blimp proposal.

This reminds me of my research that indicates Bigfoot is unafraid of Lamborghinis. Please contribute to my Go Fund Me so I may purchase said Lamborghini. I will drive around and look for Bigfoot, and you all will be the first to know if I find him.
Ill chip in if its yellow and you give me a ride to 7-11.
Old 19th February 2021, 03:48 PM   #1940
GT/CS
Illuminator

I found this guys first video rather frustrating because of him not living up to his name of Armored Skeptic. He redeemed himself in the second one where he discusses the PGF.
https://youtu.be/IPuCUnfKNao

https://youtu.be/eJBARc55NlM
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:51 PM   #1941
The Shrike
Philosopher

If I could find my password, I think I still have an account there. Also Huntster owes me a prime rib dinner.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:03 PM   #1942
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
If I could find my password, I think I still have an account there. Also Huntster owes me a prime rib dinner.
Make sure it's socially distanced.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:05 AM   #1943
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Make sure it's socially distanced.
Really? He always struck me as such a rational, pragmatic guy that I'm sure he'd be double-masked and by now fully vaccinated.

^MAXIMUM sarcasm here.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:13 AM   #1944
Drewbot
Philosopher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7swBxMl174

News story about Rant Mullins talking about how he hoaxed people.

With a Grover Krantz rebuttal. It's very Meldrum Like in it's nature.

Paraphrasing:
Of course there are fake prints, it's the real ones we like to focus on.
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:17 AM   #1945
Drewbot
Philosopher

Parcher or LTC,

Do you remember that video that showed the old time Bigfoot hoaxers with the stompers on, and they were running through the woods showing the news person how they made the tracks?

I can't find it anymore.
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:16 AM   #1946
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It was a CBC program.
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:24 AM   #1947
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Try this...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=119
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:25 AM   #1948
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It was a CBC program.
OK that helped

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/tr...-the-sasquatch

Go to 13:01

Ray Pickens of Shahalish Washington with his Sasquatch Boots.
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:33 PM   #1949
GT/CS
Illuminator

OK that helped

Chehalis?
Old 24th February 2021, 01:29 PM   #1950
rockinkt
Master Poster

Chehalis?
Gesundheit!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 04:23 PM   #1951
The Shrike
Philosopher

OK that helped

Dang, this really didn't paint Dahinden in any kind of credible light. He, you know, "wouldn't even get out of bed" for a million dollars.
Old 28th February 2021, 04:11 PM   #1952
GT/CS
Illuminator

And who can forget Miss Melba!
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/expert...gfoot-footage/

Last edited by GT/CS; 28th February 2021 at 04:12 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 11:04 PM   #1953
rockinkt
Master Poster

Melba's toast.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal