ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 17th April 2019, 10:25 AM   #841
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
They're not Americans yet.

FTFY
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:26 AM   #842
Baylor
Philosopher

No you didn't
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:55 AM   #843
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Seriously Mumbles, shame on you. You are giving these non-Americans the typical media lie. You, as a black man, have a unique opportunity to tell these daft non-Americans about actual race relations in the US and not the discredited media narrative. Mass illegal immigration does nothing but fuel the Black/Latino murders and gang wars that are already rampant.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30870505/n...rgeted-blacks/

It also drives black displacement from historically black communties. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
If there ever was an example of what “whitesplaining” is, this is it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:59 AM   #844
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Not exactly, she's very evasive in that interview and was very careful in how she responded. She was asked at least 4 different times.
Quote:
SCHAAF: I said yes. Oakland welcomes all people

Gotta love it. Trumpalos tie themselves in knots trying to explain away everything Trump says as "Take him seriously, but not literally", but then claim someone who flat out responded "I said yes" is being "evasive".

Hey, she didn't say she "promised" to take them, how about you die on that hill, too?
Old 17th April 2019, 11:05 AM   #845
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
If there ever was an example of what “whitesplaining” is, this is it.
There never was.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:01 PM   #846
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There never was.
Except you just gave us a perfect example. Even worse, in your attempt to sic one minority on another you might have missed that Mumbles has stated that he is black and latino.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:05 PM   #847
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dann View Post
FTFY
Thank you.

No you didn't
Too brown?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:06 PM   #848
Belz...
Fiend God

Except you just gave us a perfect example. Even worse, in your attempt to sic one minority on another you might have missed that Mumbles has stated that he is black and latino.
Ok I'm confused. What's the scale, now?

White > Asians > Black > Latino?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 12:10 PM   #849
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Gotta love it. Trumpalos tie themselves in knots trying to explain away everything Trump says as "Take him seriously, but not literally", but then claim someone who flat out responded "I said yes" is being "evasive".

Hey, she didn't say she "promised" to take them, how about you die on that hill, too?

Did you read the entire article? Political speak 100%. When asked to clarify that she was answering the question she waffled again and again.

"The earlier question I asked?"

"Yes"

"I meant the one about 1000s of illegals dropped off in your town"

"Bla bla political we love all people bla bla"

But okay, we see it differently, I'm fine with that because if she actually is okay with 5,000 illegals dropped off in her town I gotta wonder about her competence as mayor.

Ask the mayor of a town actually affected by mass illegals how they feel:

Yuma mayor declares emergency, warns of 'imminent threat' from release of migrant families

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/3492054002/

Quote:
"Today is a day that we had talked about three weeks ago, hoping never to get to," Nicholls said at a news conference on Tuesday.

With a "heavy heart," the mayor said he signed the document as a means to seek resources and to protect residents and vulnerable migrants.

"... the mass release of migrant families from federal detention facilities into the City of Yuma without provisions for adequate food, water, shelter and medical care threatens to cause injury, damage and suffering to persons and property located in the City of Yuma, Yuma County, Arizona as well as causing a humanitarian crisis," the proclamation read.
Question for the bleeding hearts:
Dumping off thousands of people into a town - literally driving buses in and letting them out with nowhere to go - does that sound like a good idea to you? That is what has been going on for quite awhile now.

Explain to us all how this is a good idea and something a mayor should be advocating.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:17 PM   #850
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He knows what it means.

FYI, we get a lot of these "you don't even know what that means GRGRG!@!@!!!!!!!!!! I WINZ" posts.
I take it you don't know what it means either. Can you write down your understanding of what it means?
Old 17th April 2019, 12:29 PM   #851
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I take it you don't know what it means either. Can you write down your understanding of what it means?
Not interested in your tests.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:31 PM   #852
Baylor
Philosopher

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the ethnic replacement of blacks by Latinos.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:31 PM   #853
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not interested in your tests.
So neither one of you actually understands what 'sanctuary city' means?
Old 17th April 2019, 12:32 PM   #854
Baylor
Philosopher

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12667306
Old 17th April 2019, 12:40 PM   #855
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How many posts are you going to waste telling us you don't know what 'sanctuary city' means?
Old 17th April 2019, 03:09 PM   #856
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the ethnic replacement of blacks by Latinos.
Mumbles is part of the replacement project! The call is coming from within the house!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #857
Lurch
Muse

Did you read the entire article? Political speak 100%. When asked to clarify that she was answering the question she waffled again and again.

"The earlier question I asked?"

"Yes"

"I meant the one about 1000s of illegals dropped off in your town"

"Bla bla political we love all people bla bla"

But okay, we see it differently, I'm fine with that because if she actually is okay with 5,000 illegals dropped off in her town I gotta wonder about her competence as mayor.

Ask the mayor of a town actually affected by mass illegals how they feel:

Yuma mayor declares emergency, warns of 'imminent threat' from release of migrant families

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/3492054002/

Dumping off thousands of people into a town - literally driving buses in and letting them out with nowhere to go - does that sound like a good idea to you? That is what has been going on for quite awhile now.

Explain to us all how this is a good idea and something a mayor should be advocating.
Maybe I'm a "bleeding heart" because I see people in need.

Why excoriate folk who want to help. You overlook the immediate problem at hand, in your zeal to blast the "bleeding hearts." The policy of an administration headed by a petulant man-child that seeks only to 'punish' is the real issue. You seem to side with a passive-aggressive 'solution' aimed at sowing chaos and discord, then blame those on the receiving end of said idiocy when trying to be caring fellow human beings first and foremost.

Are Trump's supporters so under his thrall that they advocate his brand of cruelty?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:14 PM   #858
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

They're not Americans.
Without citizenship papers or a court decision, neither are you then.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 05:22 PM   #859
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Seriously Mumbles, shame on you. You are giving these non-Americans the typical media lie. You, as a black man, have a unique opportunity to tell these daft non-Americans about actual race relations in the US and not the discredited media narrative. Mass illegal immigration does nothing but fuel the Black/Latino murders and gang wars that are already rampant.

It also drives black displacement from historically black communties. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
Considering I don't watch Fox-anything 24/7, and I live in a country where race relations has had a long and troubled history of our own which we are trying to resolve, and because we are not Americans and don't have global TV or the internet so we obviously know nothing at all about your country, and none of us have ever been there or lived there or worked there or have friends there, perhaps you might might like to lecture me dumbsplain some more on what life is like in the good ol' USA. We're all ears.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 07:04 PM   #860
Mumbles
Philosopher

Well, yes, having the federal government dump thousands of people into a town of 95k people is going to disrupt public services. That's not because they're some massive horde of subhumans, it's because small towns don't have the resources to handle that sort of sudden influx. I'm guessing that Dolt 45 could easily work to spread people out across several towns and cities, thus allowing everyone to integrate easily, but that he either *wants* to cause harm, or he and his administration is simply to incompetent to manage a Foot Locker.

Or both. Because they're both entirely in line with what we've seen from this administration many times before.

If you want to discuss changing demographics in communities, feel free to start another thread, and I may join in.

But probably not. Because I don't like your attitude.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:21 PM   #861
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Without citizenship papers or a court decision, neither are you then.
I can't believe how dumb this is.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:23 PM   #862
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
If you want to discuss changing demographics in communities, feel free to start another thread, and I may join in.

But probably not. Because I don't like your attitude.
Ethnic replacement of black neighborhoods is a national emergency caused by mass illegal immigration, and that is the topic of this thread
Old 17th April 2019, 09:00 PM   #863
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ethnic replacement of black neighborhoods is a national emergency caused by mass illegal immigration, and that is the topic of this thread
Old 17th April 2019, 10:53 PM   #864
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Maybe I'm a "bleeding heart" because I see people in need.

Why excoriate folk who want to help. You overlook the immediate problem at hand, in your zeal to blast the "bleeding hearts." The policy of an administration headed by a petulant man-child that seeks only to 'punish' is the real issue. You seem to side with a passive-aggressive 'solution' aimed at sowing chaos and discord, then blame those on the receiving end of said idiocy when trying to be caring fellow human beings first and foremost.

Are Trump's supporters so under his thrall that they advocate his brand of cruelty?
So would you agree there is a National Emergency in dealing with illegal immigration and border security? Or is everything still peachy?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 12:56 AM   #865
Lurch
Muse

A large part of the 'emergency' is the result of the Trump admin's grotesque handling of matters. As I've pointed out in another thread a little while back, consider the case of the fleeing Syrians accommodated by the tiny nation of Jordan. By proportion, the numbers of refugees there put to utter shame the shabby policies of supposedly the greatest and most powerful nation--the USA. Trump says his country is "full." HA!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 01:37 AM   #866
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

A large part of the 'emergency' is the result of the Trump admin's grotesque handling of matters. As I've pointed out in another thread a little while back, consider the case of the fleeing Syrians accommodated by the tiny nation of Jordan. By proportion, the numbers of refugees there put to utter shame the shabby policies of supposedly the greatest and most powerful nation--the USA. Trump says his country is "full." HA!
What administration do we have to thank for the Syrians fleeing their Country? Can't hang that one on Trump.

Now as far as how matters are being handled currently, the illegal immigration problem has been passed down from one administration to the next since Reagan. (And anyone that wishes to point out so and so did this or that, just put it away before you begin, you know truthfully neither side has done much of anything. If they had we wouldn't be in this current mess now.) Republicans AND Democrats both share the blame for this current disgrace. Yet now, finally a President is actually doing something about it. Trump deserves a round of applause for trying to correct the situation, you don't get points for doing nothing and pointing a finger at the only President to tackle illegal immigration and meaningful border security since Ronald Reagan. (again, put it away) Only a fool would try to maintain there is no illegal immigration problem in the US. Everyone needs to put their hatred for Trump and disappointment in the 2016 election aside. Please put on your humanitarian hats just long enough to get these issues solved. These are real living people that are suffering folks, they're not to be ignored any longer no matter what side you're on.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 08:31 AM   #867
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
What administration do we have to thank for the Syrians fleeing their Country? Can't hang that one on Trump.

Now as far as how matters are being handled currently, the illegal immigration problem has been passed down from one administration to the next since Reagan. (And anyone that wishes to point out so and so did this or that, just put it away before you begin, you know truthfully neither side has done much of anything. If they had we wouldn't be in this current mess now.) Republicans AND Democrats both share the blame for this current disgrace. Yet now, finally a President is actually doing something about it. Trump deserves a round of applause for trying to correct the situation, you don't get points for doing nothing and pointing a finger at the only President to tackle illegal immigration and meaningful border security since Ronald Reagan. (again, put it away) Only a fool would try to maintain there is no illegal immigration problem in the US. Everyone needs to put their hatred for Trump and disappointment in the 2016 election aside. Please put on your humanitarian hats just long enough to get these issues solved. These are real living people that are suffering folks, they're not to be ignored any longer no matter what side you're on.

Chris B.
The current administration's method of handling the issue has created a number of problems that frankly make the situation worse:

a. Family separation as a means of discouraging immigration over the Mexican-US border. The process when ordered was done without a clear plan to reunite families and has resulted in 1000s of children being permanently separated from their families. Doing this has not had the desired effect, had greatly increased the costs to the US taxpayer and has resulted in substantial loss of goodwill for the US government;
b. Attempts to prevent persons from claiming asylum. This is a violation of several treaties that have been incorporated into US law in accordance with international norms and US law;
c. The president's tendency to announce major policy shifts by tweet after being criticized by anti-immigration pundits. Disregarding the human rights implications, the policy implications are destroying the trust of other states in the US to be as responsible actor on the world stage;
d. The insistence on an actual physical barrier. Lots has been written here about the issues surrounding land use, cost, effectiveness, etc that rehashing that here make me responsible for the killing of valuable and innocent electrons;
e. The cutting of foreign aid to countries where many of the Central American immigrants are coming from. doing so isn't increasing the stability of these countries, increasing the likelihood that people will attempt to get to a safe area; and
f. The use of abusive and degrogatory terms for immigrants - illegal, legal or asylum seekers - increases the probability of violence being directed at immigrants.

Yeah, you can say 45's "handling it", if by handling it you mean "making it worse."
Old 18th April 2019, 11:40 PM   #868
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
The current administration's method of handling the issue has created a number of problems that frankly make the situation worse:

a. Family separation as a means of discouraging immigration over the Mexican-US border. The process when ordered was done without a clear plan to reunite families and has resulted in 1000s of children being permanently separated from their families. Doing this has not had the desired effect, had greatly increased the costs to the US taxpayer and has resulted in substantial loss of goodwill for the US government;
b. Attempts to prevent persons from claiming asylum. This is a violation of several treaties that have been incorporated into US law in accordance with international norms and US law;
c. The president's tendency to announce major policy shifts by tweet after being criticized by anti-immigration pundits. Disregarding the human rights implications, the policy implications are destroying the trust of other states in the US to be as responsible actor on the world stage;
d. The insistence on an actual physical barrier. Lots has been written here about the issues surrounding land use, cost, effectiveness, etc that rehashing that here make me responsible for the killing of valuable and innocent electrons;
e. The cutting of foreign aid to countries where many of the Central American immigrants are coming from. doing so isn't increasing the stability of these countries, increasing the likelihood that people will attempt to get to a safe area; and
f. The use of abusive and degrogatory terms for immigrants - illegal, legal or asylum seekers - increases the probability of violence being directed at immigrants.

Yeah, you can say 45's "handling it", if by handling it you mean "making it worse."
a. April 2018 thru June 2018 was the duration of "family separation" under Trump. If you recall, some of those photos shown of children in holding cells were from the Obama admin.
b. To falsely claim asylum is a crime and wouldn't you know, it was determined many illegals were and still are gaming the system by claiming asylum when none was or is warranted. Separating the liars from those actually in need is not a bad thing.
c. The US is not the World's welfare teat and I don't mind reading this affirmation by tweet.
d. Walls work. Increased border security works. We can't deal with the illegal immigration problem until we slow down illegal immigration at the border. We can't stop it completely, but we can do things to slow its pace.
e. see item "c" above.
f. If someone has entered the US illegally they are by definition an illegal alien. I don't believe there is a tendency for violence against illegal aliens, (unless you consider deporting them a violent act). There is a well documented abuse of workers though (low wages, poor living conditions, etc.). The US welcomes immigrants, we are a nation of immigrants, yet those coming here need to do so legally and by the book. (they know this yet some choose to come here illegally and try to game the system with false claims to get to the front of the line) It's unfair to all who have entered properly or are still waiting to do so. We are a nation of immigrants, not criminals.

Chris B.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:26 AM   #869
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Chris B.
I'm going to disagree with you on the above, but not in the way you're probably expecting. I've long been a proponent of cracking down on illegal immigration and have wanted stronger border controls. And I agree that that can has been kicked down the road by various administrations for far too long. But just because Trump is doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing, or even helpful, and so doesn't deserve any sort of accolades merely because 'it's something'. In fact a mantra that my friends in meat space are probably sick of hearing from me is that thanks to Trump it's now impossible to have a reasoned discussion of the immigration issue. All too often now when the subject comes up you get stuck in the 'oh, so you're for putting kids in concentration camps' corner by whomever you're talking to.

As a crude analogy : you're unemployed and living off a substantial but not inexhaustible savings. Trying to find work in your very specific field has been fruitless for a long time now, and you know you need to do something to start getting a positive cashflow. So you decide to take half your remaining savings to Vegas and try to hit it big on the slots. Yeah, you've just done something about a problem that was dragging on unaddressed, but you haven't actually helped anything.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 10:19 AM   #870
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I'm going to disagree with you on the above, but not in the way you're probably expecting. I've long been a proponent of cracking down on illegal immigration and have wanted stronger border controls. And I agree that that can has been kicked down the road by various administrations for far too long. But just because Trump is doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing, or even helpful, and so doesn't deserve any sort of accolades merely because 'it's something'. In fact a mantra that my friends in meat space are probably sick of hearing from me is that thanks to Trump it's now impossible to have a reasoned discussion of the immigration issue. All too often now when the subject comes up you get stuck in the 'oh, so you're for putting kids in concentration camps' corner by whomever you're talking to.

As a crude analogy : you're unemployed and living off a substantial but not inexhaustible savings. Trying to find work in your very specific field has been fruitless for a long time now, and you know you need to do something to start getting a positive cashflow. So you decide to take half your remaining savings to Vegas and try to hit it big on the slots. Yeah, you've just done something about a problem that was dragging on unaddressed, but you haven't actually helped anything.
Finally, someone came up with a solid argument. Very valid points.
Old 19th April 2019, 01:47 PM   #871
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Drawing attention to the issue is the key. Whether that attention is bad or good, either way will prompt some sort of action. I don't see your analogy as it applies to Trump's actions on illegal immigration and border security.

Better to get the issues on the table rather than continuing to sweep them under the rug for the next administration. It just may embarrass the opposing side into action. If everyone really wants to solve the illegal immigration problems, it should be easy. Right? The problem we are facing is that everyone wants to solve the problem on record, but off the record they want everything to remain as it is for access to cheap labor. Just keep an eye on California politicians, do you really think they want these issues addressed? No way. Too much produce to pick. It's much better for them to keep the illegals as they are and get the Federal Government to pick up the costs of things like healthcare.

Chris B.
Old 19th April 2019, 02:54 PM   #872
Minoosh
Philosopher

Maybe this has already been said but the people being dropped off in cities right now are not illegal immigrants.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 03:09 PM   #873
Minoosh
Philosopher

I think maybe invading Iraq in 2003 wasn't such a great idea.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 03:09 PM   #874
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

That's a national emergency?

How come?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 03:17 PM   #875
Minoosh
Philosopher

We can't deal with the illegal immigration problem until we slow down illegal immigration at the border. We can't stop it completely, but we can do things to slow its pace.
It had been falling for 10 years before Trump was elected.
Old 19th April 2019, 07:11 PM   #876
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Drawing attention to the issue is the key. Whether that attention is bad or good, either way will prompt some sort of action. I don't see your analogy as it applies to Trump's actions on illegal immigration and border security.

Better to get the issues on the table rather than continuing to sweep them under the rug for the next administration. It just may embarrass the opposing side into action. If everyone really wants to solve the illegal immigration problems, it should be easy. Right? The problem we are facing is that everyone wants to solve the problem on record, but off the record they want everything to remain as it is for access to cheap labor. Just keep an eye on California politicians, do you really think they want these issues addressed? No way. Too much produce to pick. It's much better for them to keep the illegals as they are and get the Federal Government to pick up the costs of things like healthcare.

Chris B.
Where I think I disagree with you is that I don't feel that simply bringing attention to the issue on its own a good thing. Yes, Trump has made the border a major issue in the public eye. But it's my opinion that the way in which he's done that has poisoned the ability to discuss the issue rationally and with any semblance of nuance. Is there a fallacy akin to 'poisoning the well' where the poison is applied to the underlying issue and not the source?

And let me be clear that it's not merely that I disagree with Trump's proposed solutions that is my sticking point. It's his clumsy, bombastic, would-be-authoritarian manner that is my major issue.

Say that Obama proposed a general amnesty and would grant citizenship to any and all with the sole provision that they pay any back taxes owed. I'd have a problem with that, but the issue itself could still be debated in the public square with due rationality and nuance.

By bringing up an issue which I feel is important, but doing it in such a mis-aimed simplistic manner he's [Trump] tanked my hopes of having a reasoned discourse on the issue. I'd love to be able to discuss issues like the rampant exploitation of the undocumented making it nigh impossible for a legitimate, completely law-abiding general contractor business to flourish, but I can't because the Bloviating Gasbag in the Oval Office makes people assume I want to throw kids into camps. I'd like to be able to talk about the importance of /cultural/ (note well : NOT racial) cohesion, but I can't because Cheeto Benito has people primed to shout that I'm scared of brown people (for the record I don't give a toss what your skin color is as long as you don't blast your stereo after 10pm or force your wife to wear a beekeeper suit).

I'd love to see taxes (even my own) go way up to provide a more robust social safety net for people, but I don't think that will work if we don't keep reasonable control over the border. Try having that discussion in meat space these days without people wanting to hit you with a MAGA brand on your forehead. Even if I'm wrong (which is quite well possible) I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong on the basis of whatever the **** effluent pours out of Trump's mouth.

I can't make my rational case, and I can't learn where I might be mistaken on the issue because Trump has turned it into such a hyper-polarized, mono-syllabic talking point that only the shrieking extremists on either end get heard.

Last edited by Joe Random; 19th April 2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 08:58 PM   #877
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Maybe this has already been said but the people being dropped off in cities right now are not illegal immigrants.

It hasn't been said because it isn't true.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/3466742002/
April 14, 2019

Quote:
The Border Patrol issued a news release on Thursday saying that it would release "processed illegal aliens" in El Paso and southern New Mexico because of "capacity issues" at Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention centers.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/2156585002/
Nov, 2018

Quote:
Federal immigration authorities have released about 2,500 Central American families at Hispanic churches in the Phoenix area over the past two months, totaling more than 5,000 people, according to one pastor.

The families had recently crossed the border illegally in southwestern Arizona, which has become one of the most popular entry points for a growing wave of migrant families arriving at the southern border seeking refuge in the United States.

Many news agencies lovingly refer to them as migrants but they are still illegal. Crossing the border illegally = illegal.

Here's one more from several years ago (this is nothing new):

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...izona/9707503/
May 28, 2014

Quote:
Scores of undocumented immigrants [in other words, illegal aliens - my edit] from Central America have been released at Greyhound Lines Inc. bus stations in Tucson and Phoenix over the past several days after they were flown to Arizona from south Texas, officials acknowledged.

Andy Adame, a spokesman for the Border Patrol in Tucson, confirmed that over the weekend federal officials flew about 400 migrants apprehended in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas to Tucson to be processed. He said the migrants were flown to Arizona because the Border Patrol does not have enough manpower to handle a surge in illegal immigrants in south Texas.

Last edited by mgidm86; 19th April 2019 at 09:00 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 09:07 PM   #878
Lurch
Muse

Where I think I disagree with you is that I don't feel that simply bringing attention to the issue on its own a good thing. Yes, Trump has made the border a major issue in the public eye. But it's my opinion that the way in which he's done that has poisoned the ability to discuss the issue rationally and with any semblance of nuance. Is there a fallacy akin to 'poisoning the well' where the poison is applied to the underlying issue and not the source?

And let me be clear that it's not merely that I disagree with Trump's proposed solutions that is my sticking point. It's his clumsy, bombastic, would-be-authoritarian manner that is my major issue.

Say that Obama proposed a general amnesty and would grant citizenship to any and all with the sole provision that they pay any back taxes owed. I'd have a problem with that, but the issue itself could still be debated in the public square with due rationality and nuance.

By bringing up an issue which I feel is important, but doing it in such a mis-aimed simplistic manner he's [Trump] tanked my hopes of having a reasoned discourse on the issue. I'd love to be able to discuss issues like the rampant exploitation of the undocumented making it nigh impossible for a legitimate, completely law-abiding general contractor business to flourish, but I can't because the Bloviating Gasbag in the Oval Office makes people assume I want to throw kids into camps. I'd like to be able to talk about the importance of /cultural/ (note well : NOT racial) cohesion, but I can't because Cheeto Benito has people primed to shout that I'm scared of brown people (for the record I don't give a toss what your skin color is as long as you don't blast your stereo after 10pm or force your wife to wear a beekeeper suit).

I'd love to see taxes (even my own) go way up to provide a more robust social safety net for people, but I don't think that will work if we don't keep reasonable control over the border. Try having that discussion in meat space these days without people wanting to hit you with a MAGA brand on your forehead. Even if I'm wrong (which is quite well possible) I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong on the basis of whatever the **** effluent pours out of Trump's mouth.

I can't make my rational case, and I can't learn where I might be mistaken on the issue because Trump has turned it into such a hyper-polarized, mono-syllabic talking point that only the shrieking extremists on either end get heard.
Joe,
For the most part this post seems well enough reasoned, and you admitting to possibly being wrong is an admirable trait.

Two points detract:

- Cultural cohesion is not a necessity for harmony. In many large cities there are numerous enclaves of markedly differing culture existing cheek by jowl.

-The "beekeeper" outfit remark is, I presume, your admonition against the patriarchal hegemony of select cultures wherein the women are required to not present any skin in public. Many of these women, having been raised in such a culture, happily accede to the tradition. Who are we to decry that? Over time, the natural process of integration will usually lead to a diminishment in such practices, as the new generation wants to better blend in with their fellows. Indeed, if we are to desire to bring about such change as we deem desirable, having these people live among us can only accelerate a cultural shift that would more likely remain stagnant back in the old country. In any event, cultural practices which are not intrusive upon others outside of said culture, and which do not impair the rights of the practitioners, are outside the concern of we others.

Highlighting cultural differences is often a substitute for emphasizing skin color differences. Not always, of course, but quite often enough.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:06 PM   #879
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Joe,
For the most part this post seems well enough reasoned, and you admitting to possibly being wrong is an admirable trait.

Two points detract:

- Cultural cohesion is not a necessity for harmony. In many large cities there are numerous enclaves of markedly differing culture existing cheek by jowl.

-The "beekeeper" outfit remark is, I presume, your admonition against the patriarchal hegemony of select cultures wherein the women are required to not present any skin in public. Many of these women, having been raised in such a culture, happily accede to the tradition. Who are we to decry that? Over time, the natural process of integration will usually lead to a diminishment in such practices, as the new generation wants to better blend in with their fellows. Indeed, if we are to desire to bring about such change as we deem desirable, having these people live among us can only accelerate a cultural shift that would more likely remain stagnant back in the old country. In any event, cultural practices which are not intrusive upon others outside of said culture, and which do not impair the rights of the practitioners, are outside the concern of we others.

Highlighting cultural differences is often a substitute for emphasizing skin color differences. Not always, of course, but quite often enough.
So with (genuine) respect, this is how I feel about that.

Yes, far too often skin color is used as a lazy shortcut for culture. But I strongly feel that, while we should be open to and accepting of other cultures, some times those other cultures are absolutely inferior to ours and not worthy of respect.

A conversation I'm currently having in meat space which mirrors a thread here on ISF is the whole "women wearing tights as fashion even if they're not working out" . If the worst thing you can say about our culture is "women want to flaunt their physical sexuality while pretending they're not" then we're still light years beyond "you can't show your hair because it'll tempt men". I can't give precisely scientific support for this, but I do absolutely believe that societies which pre/proscribe dress (usually for women) are far more regressive than those which don't. For as gauche as I might find it, I'd far rather live in a society where women do their shopping in "look at my labia" leggings, than one in which "she showed her belly so it's totally cool I raped her" is seen as rational.

This is what I was getting at with my comments above : you can be a swarthy caramel colored mestizo or a coal black Ethiope : I honestly don't care so long as you value the sexes equally and respect people around you. But I will not give any leeway to 'just going along with tradition'. Sure, I might not fault the overly-cottoned specific woman in question walking down the street of Cromwell Road, but you can absolutely be sure I'll be judging the living **** out of the bloke walking 5 feet in front of her.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:26 PM   #880
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I think we will see something come about. It's a process and it's not going to be easy. There is a plan in place and we're at step one, secure the border. I hope to see more steps taken by this President. I don't care who does it but I hope to see it get done.

If there is some way Trump can get the border secured, that sets the table for immigration reform. Ideally, I'd like to see amnesty for all who have been inside the US for the past 10 years and have committed no crimes other than coming here illegally. I'd like to see all those waiting to enter approved en mass. To be fair I do think there should be a cut off point of 10 years, where those that have been here less than 10 years have to go out and come back in legally. It could be done and their cases could be expedited especially if they have relatives here in the US.

In the meantime, Green cards for all, get everyone here legal then begin the process of citizenship for those who want it. If someone has been working without paying taxes, they should pay a penalty but no more than any American would have to pay for delinquent taxes.

That's my wish list. I voted for Trump and I'm not ashamed of it. So far I'm happy with the actions he has taken to secure the border. His actions on immigration reform will determine whether I vote for him again in 2020. Everyone before Trump had promised immigration reform and none have come thru. If Trump doesn't get something done he's no better than those who came before him.

Chris B.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics