IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2021, 08:28 AM   #81
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Assimilation" needs to be defined as well. Is a Hasidic Jew living in New York City assimilated or not?
Not likely. Nor is a Polygamist Mormon in Utah. Or a voodoo practitioner from down in the Luisiana Bayou.

Their Grandchildren have tended to be though.
Old 18th February 2021, 08:40 AM   #82
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Help us out, LPlus, CaveMonster and Airfix:

DAILY MAIL

Tommy Robinson of 'England First' is Irish.

What happened?
History happened - sometimes with violence. Make that almost always with violence.

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:41 AM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Not likely. Nor is a Polygamist Mormon in Utah. Or a voodoo practitioner from down in the Luisiana Bayou.

Their Grandchildren have tended to be though.
Now this is interesting. Can you define which culture you think should “assimilate” these three other cultures? And of course will you?
Old 18th February 2021, 08:55 AM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And this problem.

People treat "cultures" as singular things when they aren't.

If a bunch of Klingons move to New York I don't care if they keep eating Gahg and sinking Klingon Opera, but I'm going to have to insist they stop having Bat'Leth duels in the street. It's not an all or nothing thing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:59 AM   #85
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And this problem.

If a bunch of Klingons move to New York I don't care if they keep eating Gahg and sinking Klingon Opera, but I'm going to have to insist they stop having Bat'Leth duels in the street. It's not an all or nothing thing.
I'm not sure if even the dogwhistler's think that. They certainly don't seem to mind having falafel shops on the corner. They just have it in their heads that the people who make the falafel will rape their white women and install sharia law.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:02 AM   #86
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Clearly culture is uniquely identifiable types of pottery, everyone knows that.
Spoken like a holdover from the red-figures-on-black-pottery period. As a sophisticated black-figures-on-red-pottery person, I scoff at you. *scoff scoff*
Old 18th February 2021, 09:30 AM   #87
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Spoken like a holdover from the red-figures-on-black-pottery period. As a sophisticated black-figures-on-red-pottery person, I scoff at you. *scoff scoff*
Your rims are so inelegantly shaped! And the geometry of your black figures!!!! Pah!!!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 12:05 PM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And this problem.

But that opera stuff sounds strange not like my opera!
Old 18th February 2021, 10:54 PM   #89
mgidm86
Philosopher

Multiculturalism, does it work ?

You need to also define "work". Ask a simple question to a room full of skeptics and...

This thread reminds me of my childhood and having dinner at Gramma and Grampa's with all my Italian relatives shouting conversations with the person the furthest away from them at the table. Can't really follow any of it!
Old 19th February 2021, 07:18 PM   #90
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Help us out, LPlus, CaveMonster and Airfix:

DAILY MAIL

Tommy Robinson of 'England First' is Irish.

What happened?
My mother was born in Stinchcombe reasonably close to Bledington (at least they are both in Gloucestershire). I guess I'm more multicultural than I thought I was.

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 19th February 2021 at 07:20 PM.
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 12:24 PM   #91
Venom
Illuminator

I think culture and ethnicity or at least the perception of differences there serves as a selection process. Humans have no natural predators other than each other. What better way to control H. sapiens than to have different varieties of humans suppress or war one another? Living in harmony seems to be pretty difficult even with language and the ability to think rationally.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 12:51 PM   #92
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm betting the Neanderthals on what is now the British Isles had grunts that meant "Pah! These homo sapiens invaders are surely going to kill off our culture. Bloody foreigners! Why don't they go back where they came from! We really need a Nexit..."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 12:54 PM   #93
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I'm betting the Neanderthals on what is now the British Isles had grunts that meant "Pah! These homo sapiens invaders are surely going to kill off our culture. Bloody foreigners! Why don't they go back where they came from! We really need a Nexit..."
They weren't wrong.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 01:28 PM   #94
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
To be serious, perhaps Neanderthals didn't value culture as much as we did, so they were easily outcompeted/displaced. No art, no cave paintings by them. Neanderthal burial sites feature very little thoughtful construction or organization.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 02:17 PM   #95
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
To be serious, perhaps Neanderthals didn't value culture as much as we did, so they were easily outcompeted/displaced. No art, no cave paintings by them. Neanderthal burial sites feature very little thoughtful construction or organization.
Not so fast.
https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/...art-discovery/
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 21st February 2021, 05:54 PM   #96
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

"Thag" is a culture. Perhaps not a complex one, but a culture nonetheless.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:45 AM   #97
3point14
Pi

Did the OP ever come back?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:58 AM   #98
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Did the OP ever come back?
He has been posting and starting other threads.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 03:23 AM   #99
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He has been posting and starting other threads.
He maybe couldn't be bothered with the emotion based snark and diversions into neanderthal jokes.

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events