IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags allopathy , homeopathy

Old 25th March 2021, 01:06 PM   #321
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Allopathy is one of several schools of medicine explored until the beginning of the 19th century. Other main schools were Isopathy and Homoeopathy. These were schools that concentrated on observing and inducing symptoms. Isopathy and homoeopathy worked (in somewhat different ways) on inducing symptoms similar to those of the disease, while Allopathy induced other symptoms. In Allopathy, the symptoms caused by the medicine were seen as secondary, more like a sign that the medicine was potent in some way.

As Allopathy implied observing effects and efficiacy, this generally led to evidence-based medicine, and as such can be seen as a precursor to modern, scientific medicine. However, the term is archaic and is today mainly used as a derogative, especially by homoepaths.
Thanks.

This is a discussion forum. Thus, people enter into discussions. There are several hundred active members here, so it will be hard to pick a subject of any importance that will not find opponents. If this is not to your liking, you may be at the wrong place.
Been here long enough to understand how the forum works! What was unusual was seeing such an angry post to start a thread!No one had even told him his niece shouldn't have used that sort of doctor yet, but he was so angry already, as if someone had.

Really? I wonder how you have avoided seing that. There are plenty of "alternative" practitioners who are very active in trying to discourage people from using conventional medicine, including certain in this very thread.

Hans
hmmm I did not see it, even here. All I saw was people defending the right to use whatever alternative medicine they preferred. That's pretty different than telling others they can't or shouldn't use modern medicine at all.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:10 PM   #322
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
They tried homeopathic ones but nobody could find the knife.
I'd imagime the biggest danger of a homeopathic C-Section would be tearing...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:32 PM   #323
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Allopathy is one of several schools of medicine explored until the beginning of the 19th century. Other main schools were Isopathy and Homoeopathy. These were schools that concentrated on observing and inducing symptoms. Isopathy and homoeopathy worked (in somewhat different ways) on inducing symptoms similar to those of the disease, while Allopathy induced other symptoms. In Allopathy, the symptoms caused by the medicine were seen as secondary, more like a sign that the medicine was potent in some way.

As Allopathy implied observing effects and efficiacy, this generally led to evidence-based medicine, and as such can be seen as a precursor to modern, scientific medicine. However, the term is archaic and is today mainly used as a derogative, especially by homoepaths.

Hans
Worth noting a couple of further points.

Hahnemann, the putative father of homeopathy, invented the term "allopathy" to describe the theories of those practitioners whom he believed had diverged unacceptably from his own silly theories on sickness and cure. He used it as a literal curse word in his writings, railing against them across Europe in the early 1800's. This is a practice continued today by homeopathy proponents - denigration by labeling, aka straw-manning.

All these ancient "pathies" referred solely to the use of what we now call drugs. They had no bearing on surgery or any other non-drug medical methods as we now use today. Mainly because modern surgery was still very much in its infancy in Hahnemann's day. Drugs (and leeches) were pretty much all they had. So lumping the whole of modern medical procedures under the heading of "allopathy" is not just wrong, it is ridiculously wrong.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 06:42 PM   #324
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I'm pretty sure that Trebuchet was taking the piss!
And at my age, I have to get up and do so several times a night!
Old 26th March 2021, 07:43 AM   #325
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And at my age, I have to get up and do so several times a night!
At least that's not Homeopathic!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology