IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 8th March 2021, 09:06 AM   #1841
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

It may have been reported upthread, but at least a couple of Roger Stone's bodyguards were later involved in the Capitol riot/insurrection.

The best people.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 09:10 AM   #1842
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yeah, that was Richard Barnett of Arkansas. He went a little nuts during a bail hearing. I understand his frustration. He was hoping to get out on bail and this is the second time they pushed the bail decision into the future. I believe his next hearing will be on May 4th.

This guy probably doesn't get it. He became an icon of the insurrection by sitting with his feet up on Pelosi's deck. They are going to make an example out of him. There will be people who will avoid prison but he's certainly headed there.
If convicted.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 09:49 AM   #1843
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
If convicted.
Yes, of course, 'if convicted'.

But unless there will be some kind of jury nullification he's going down. Keep in mind that this White Supremacist will likely be tried in DC not Arkansas.

How fun.

Last edited by acbytesla; 8th March 2021 at 09:58 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 11:05 AM   #1844
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

But unless there will be some kind of jury nullification he's going down. Keep in mind that this White Supremacist will likely be tried in DC not Arkansas.

How fun.
I worry about the one or two forever trumpers on the jury to throw a wrench in things.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 11:17 AM   #1845
slyjoe
Master Poster

I worry about the one or two forever trumpers on the jury to throw a wrench in things.
I'm curious - is a murder case the only case where the decision must be unanimous? Or am I mixing up civil and criminal?

ETA: It appears the Supreme Court decided just last year that criminal trials must be unanimous.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...imous-n1187846
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 8th March 2021 at 11:19 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 11:22 AM   #1846
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I get it. This is going to be less likely in DC which Is the most Democratic place in the country. Trump received 8% of the vote there.
Old 8th March 2021, 12:20 PM   #1847
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I'm curious - is a murder case the only case where the decision must be unanimous? Or am I mixing up civil and criminal?

ETA: It appears the Supreme Court decided just last year that criminal trials must be unanimous.

All criminal trials, though it would be a hung jury in the event of a hold out and not an acquittal, that also requires unanimity.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 12:32 PM   #1848
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

Wow. Total news to me. Apparently Louisiana and Oregon allowed criminal convictions on a split vote, which I had never heard of before. A unanimous vote has been required in my state for at least as long as it's been a state, and I thought all states followed that rule.

It does not have to be a murder charge; any criminal conviction requires a unanimous vote.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 12:53 PM   #1849
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

As long as bail is denied, these folks will stay locked up until an outright acquittal. I am kind of surprised that people have been denied bail. In murder cases they will often set it at some high figure they know the defendant can't afford, but technically they could get out on bail.

I want the riot participants to really think on whether the photo opp was worth the years (in some cases) of freedom they will lose.

But oy, some of those demonstrators were so clueless - imagine their shock at realizing they are criminals and will be looked at that way for a good long time. "Waah! We were storming the Capitol and they Maced me!" What did these people expect?

I know some of them are dangerous but a lot of them are just easily manipulated crybabies who thought their little exercise in chaos could actually overturn democracy. There are sadly a lot of misinformed people who for reasons I can't fathom trust Trump, and believe he will help them when they need it.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 01:56 PM   #1850
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

How fun.
Is Barnett a white supremacist? I haven't heard that.

ETA: Never mind. I can Google. Here's a story which quotes him claiming to be a white nationalist.

Quote:
"I am white," posted Barnett, in a page he maintains under a pseudonym. "There is no denying that. I am a nationalist. I put my nation first. So that makes me a white nationalist."
Though, to be honest, he's redefined the term so that it means a white person who puts his nation first, not a person who wants a white-dominated nation. Is there anything more explicit to suggest he's a supremacist?

Last edited by phiwum; 8th March 2021 at 02:00 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:24 PM   #1851
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

ETA: Never mind. I can Google. Here's a story which quotes him claiming to be a white nationalist.

Though, to be honest, he's redefined the term so that it means a white person who puts his nation first, not a person who wants a white-dominated nation. Is there anything more explicit to suggest he's a supremacist?
No, I had read he said he was a white nationalist. Seems likely he thinks this is clever.

Anyway, he's going to be tried in DC. He called himself a smart man yet he has provided enough evidence proudly that proves his guilt. His little stunt alone of taking Pelosi's mail is a felony. It's not just theft. It is the theft of US mail.

Last edited by acbytesla; 8th March 2021 at 03:02 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:54 PM   #1852
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Are there any black nationalists? Hispanic? Other ethnic group?

The dude is a white nationalist making excuses.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 04:41 PM   #1853
Venom
Illuminator

white nationalist = wants a "white" ethnostate
white supremacist = "whites" are superior to every other "race"

Distinct ideas though they heavily overlap.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 04:49 PM   #1854
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Sounds to me like a distinction without a difference.

Barnett is basically saying I have rights and they don't. The difference? Their race.
Old 8th March 2021, 07:47 PM   #1855
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What about "white supremists"? Well, that's how I hear it pronounced half the time.
Old 8th March 2021, 08:58 PM   #1856
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What about "white supremists"? Well, that's how I hear it pronounced half the time.
And my penchant for correct pronunciation results in this irking me. Especially from those I would hazard are reasonably well educated.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2021, 04:11 AM   #1857
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

Sounds to me like a distinction without a difference.

Barnett is basically saying I have rights and they don't. The difference? Their race.
Yup. Because I am white, I have the luxury of not having my race as part of my identity in a way that many others would - it's rarely come up so I haven't have had to think about it.

You also don't need to give a racist the benefit of the doubt. He was almost certainly very pleased with his sophistry, but as you say. It's a distinction without a difference.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 07:40 AM   #1858
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The White Supremes were a terrible singing group that paled* in comparison to the legendary Motown group.

* Pun intended
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 01:19 PM   #1859
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
The White Supremes were a terrible singing group that paled* in comparison to the legendary Motown group.

* Pun intended
Yup. And their dresses aren't anywhere near as attractive.
Old 17th March 2021, 05:07 AM   #1860
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on Fox phone in yesterday

Our Supreme Court and our courts didn't have the courage to overturn elections"
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2021, 11:18 PM   #1861
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Fox is complicit in promoting this crap. As Frank Meeink, a reformed White Supremacist says, Fox helped radicalize the far right and they continue to do so by giving Trump a platform to spread his lies. Fox is nothing but a propaganda machine.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2021, 12:42 AM   #1862
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

The courts in Russia and Belarus must be the kind of really brave courts Trump wants.
Old 20th March 2021, 05:56 PM   #1863
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Wasn't the inauguration supposed to happen today?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 06:20 PM   #1864
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Wasn't the inauguration supposed to happen today?
It happened; the Fake Media isn't reporting on it. Trump is in the Oval Office now and Biden is running for Mexico. Only Tucker Carlson and Hannity are telling us the Real Truth.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2021, 07:26 PM   #1865
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It happened; the Fake Media isn't reporting on it. Trump is in the Oval Office now and Biden is running for Mexico. Only Tucker Carlson and Hannity are telling us the Real Truth.
This is the sort of nonsense you get from stupid sources when someone doesn't kick Tucker C fair in the balls every time he utters one of these bilge-spews publicly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 01:09 AM   #1866
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
As long as bail is denied, these folks will stay locked up until an outright acquittal. I am kind of surprised that people have been denied bail. In murder cases they will often set it at some high figure they know the defendant can't afford, but technically they could get out on bail.

I want the riot participants to really think on whether the photo opp was worth the years (in some cases) of freedom they will lose.
I wouldnít count on many of them realizing the error of their ways.

Given that a poll of Trump voters a few years ago showed that they thought whites were discriminated against more than members of any other race and that Christians were discriminated against more than members of any other religion, I suspect these goofballs will consider themselves political prisoners who are being kept down by a corrupt and biased system.
Old 21st March 2021, 01:35 AM   #1867
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If anyone in the FBI had the foresight, they would put everyone on the 'incarcerated because of Jan 6th." list on the Aryan Brotherhood list straight away.
Just saves time.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #1868
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's been revealed that Off. Brian Sicknick died from a series of strokes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sy/7291796002/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics