ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 29th August 2019, 11:49 PM   #1521
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Very interesting that 1) she considers it has been a narrative of right v left, was surprised to hear that as in the UK it hasn't been like that. 2) She seems to me to have been a "cultural" RC as she doesn't talk about her faith, her relationship with god etc. what are meant to be the fundamentals of RC faith.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:27 PM   #1522
Thor 2
Philosopher

Dara O Briain comes to mind here.

In one of his presentations Dara describes himself as not a very spiritual man. He has no belief in God but self identifies as a Catholic because well ..... there's just no way out of it.

Last edited by Thor 2; 30th August 2019 at 03:46 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 02:18 PM   #1523
Thor 2
Philosopher

A victim of child abuse identified as JCB is suing the Catholic Church in an action set for January 29. This is taking place in Victoria where laws were changed last year enabling the the suing of the church as a legal entity. The abuser was non other than Ridsdale who is doing time after being found guilty some time ago. His buddy Pell is, or soon will be, contained within the same prison walls.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...ility/11487214

Quote:
"We have admissions from both a former bishop of the diocese and the diocese itself and we understand that's a first in Victoria, possibly Australia, in terms of the Catholic Church actually admitting liability in an historic child abuse case," said lawyer Chris Atmore.
Getting hold of these documents seems to have been a struggle with the RCC being tardy in response to the Royal Commission's demands.

Quote:
In a Supreme court directions hearing, barrister Gary Taylor asked the Archbishop of Ballarat to search the Diocese's archives for documents relating to complaints about Ridsdale.
"We have been pressing for the documents since October 2018. The documents have been sent to us on a dribs and drabs basis."
Old 7th September 2019, 12:07 AM   #1524
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Dara O Briain comes to mind here.

In one of his presentations Dara describes himself as not a very spiritual man. He has no belief in God but self identifies as a Catholic because well ..... there's just no way out of it.
I sort of get this. I am an atheist but reflexively cross myself in Latin when a hearse drives by. There's a certain comfort and sense of belonging in the ritual even though I don't believe in it. I still host a big Italian feast at my house every Easter even though I don't attend mass.
Old 7th September 2019, 09:48 AM   #1525
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I sort of get this. I am an atheist but reflexively cross myself in Latin when a hearse drives by. There's a certain comfort and sense of belonging in the ritual even though I don't believe in it. I still host a big Italian feast at my house every Easter even though I don't attend mass.
I fully sympathise. The ritual reactions are forced into our brains as mere children. It might well be impossible to fully shed those habits that were so carefully ingrained into our formative minds.

Personally, I have eliminated most of it, yet still I get caught by some barely remembered ritualistic response from childhood every now and then.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 02:01 PM   #1526
catsmate
No longer the 1

Social conditioning is hard to overcome.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy