ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th July 2019, 11:44 PM   #1
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Do clever people outsmart themselves?

I know a lot of people on this forum are very clever, and might be described as intellectuals, but does that mean they cannot understand wisdom that is available to simple people. I think it was probably the Buddha who said,
"the mind is the great slayer of the real".
If there is a God he would hardly make it impossible to realize him without a high functioning intellect. Most religious people accept their beliefs on faith not by reasoning. Religious doctrines may serve only to pacify the mind so that a person can open their heart to spiritual experiences. It may not matter if the doctrine is absolutely true. A simple person of faith can experience much comfort and inner peace from believing in doctrines that sharper intellects find fault with.
So I put it to the forum that you may be outsmarting yourselves.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:55 PM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

...what?

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:57 PM   #3
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if to understand God you have to be not very smart, I'd say the first message is on the right track
Old 31st July 2019, 12:00 AM   #4
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Which is worse? A large group of sheep like beings content that with little real knowledge or curiosity are lead to a fleecing or a slightly discontent individuals being curious and learning, that can avoid being fleeced?

Human nature says the trusting and uneducated will be taken advantage of, exploited. That isn't good. We can't all be super genius minds but we can know how to not be the stooge of them.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Correction, I just looked it up, and it was Blavatsky that said, "the mind is the great slayer of the real" Which does not help my argument much because Blavatsky was a self confessed fake.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 12:16 AM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Correction, I just looked it up, and it was Blavatsky that said, "the mind is the great slayer of the real" Which does not help my argument much because Blavatsky was a self confessed fake.
Good for you for owning up to that.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 12:29 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Good for you for owning up to that.
Seconded.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:31 AM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I was going to say "Yes, we do," but on further reflection I realise I'm not totally certain of that.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:00 AM   #9
JesseCuster
Muse

If there is a God he would hardly make it impossible to realize him without a high functioning intellect..
Why not? Maybe God's a dick. Who says God has to be a nice guy or has to make sense?

I'm sure your answer is going to be some evidence free touchy feely ad hoc nonsense.

My contention is that if God exists, he's clearly an *******.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:20 AM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A simple person of faith can experience much comfort and inner peace from believing in doctrines that sharper intellects find fault with.
Ignorance is the new bliss.
Old 31st July 2019, 05:23 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"LOL Smart people are so smart they aren't happy" must be the absolute best mentality for a stupid person to adopt.

I should point out I hate this mentality when it comes from smart people (either actual smart people or self describe smart people) as well. Too many see happiness as something shameful.

Just because you aren't Frank Miller Batman doesn't make you a Pollyanna and I've always, always fought against "Cynical grumpy nihilism" becoming the defacto "default personality" for intellect.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:38 AM   #12
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Why not? Maybe God's a dick. Who says God has to be a nice guy or has to make sense?

I'm sure your answer is going to be some evidence free touchy feely ad hoc nonsense.

My contention is that if God exists, he's clearly an *******.
If there is a God and he created the universe, he is obviously a vast intellect capable of planning an incredible act of creation down to the finest detail. The divine mind would have to make sense to have achieved such a creation.
Clearly, from the cruelty of nature, God does not concern himself much with our suffering. But this could simply mean in the greater scheme of things suffering serves the purpose of forcing change and growth which could not be accomplished without such pressures. Animals are forced to evolve by the struggle between predator and prey, and although individual animals die the species grows stronger for the struggle. So God may not seem to be a nice guy from the point of view of those that suffer, but if life has a higher purpose and outcome such as everlasting, immortal bliss, it may be that our earthly suffering is a small price to pay.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 31st July 2019, 05:38 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"LOL Smart people are so smart they aren't happy" must be the absolute best mentality for a stupid person to adopt.

I should point out I hate this mentality when it comes from smart people (either actual smart people or self describe smart people) as well. Too many see happiness as something shameful.

Just because you aren't Frank Miller Batman doesn't make you a Pollyanna and I've always, always fought against "Cynical grumpy nihilism" becoming the defacto "default personality" for intellect.
All well and good, but real talk? You need to fight a lot harder.

And none of the smart people here seem particularly happy.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:40 AM   #14
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If there is a God he would hardly make it impossible to realize him without a high functioning intellect.
But why would he make it harder to realise him with a high functioning intellect?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:50 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Knowledge and wisdom are different things.

As for being smart and happy, I consider myself to possess both traits to a reasonable degree.
Old 31st July 2019, 05:51 AM   #16
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I don't say intelligent people cannot be happy. But the consensus of opinions on this forum is there is no God. Therefore most people here have to face a universe without a meaning or purpose. But religious people have belief in immortality of the soul and feel comforted by that. It may be that much of their religions doctrines are false beliefs. But that may be because the human mind cannot get a handle on the divine mind. The divine mind is presumably infinitely great, whereas the human mind is limited and finite. Possibly by the fact we are using a physical brain to think with. Occult theory states that when we die the spirit mind expands into greater consciousness because we are no longer held back by the limitations of the physical brain.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 31st July 2019, 05:53 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't say intelligent people cannot be happy. But the consensus of opinions on this forum is there is no God. Therefore most people here have to face a universe without a meaning or purpose. But religious people have belief in immortality of the soul and feel comforted by that. It may be that much of their religions doctrines are false beliefs. But that may be because the human mind cannot get a handle on the divine mind. The divine mind is presumably infinitely great, whereas the human mind is limited and finite. Possibly by the fact we are using a physical brain to think with. Occult theory states that when we die the spirit mind expands into greater consciousness because we are no longer held back by the limitations of the physical brain.
A god is not required for existence to be meaningful or have purpose. Meaning and purpose are not required to be happy.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:01 AM   #18
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

And none of the smart people here seem particularly happy.
Do the dumb people here seem happier to you?
Old 31st July 2019, 06:02 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Occult theory states that when we die the spirit mind expands into greater consciousness because we are no longer held back by the limitations of the physical brain.
Stupid theories say a lot of stupid things. How happy they make you does not change that.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 06:03 AM   #20
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

If there is a God ... [snipped lengthy speculation and monday-morning godding]
But since there is no god, all that you say past that phrase is moot.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:05 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We could all have punch and pie if only we had some punch and some pie.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:08 AM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

a question of hindsight.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 06:09 AM   #23
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
But why would he make it harder to realise him with a high functioning intellect?

Dave
It seems to me we are on this earth to work things out for ourselves. God does not hand us an operators guide to what we are, or what we should do.
Unless of course you take the view that the Bible is such a manual. Personally, I think the bible is largely fiction made up by Jews to promote their tribe.

Intelligent people may see through religious theologies and find them wanting whereas simple people just accept what they are taught. In accepting such doctrines they find peace of mind denied to intellectuals who can see flaws in theology.

Since the veil between this world and the afterlife is down, and there is no proof of its existence, most intelligent people assume no such thing exists.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 31st July 2019, 06:10 AM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

... the consensus of opinions on this forum is there is no God. Therefore most people here have to face a universe without a meaning or purpose. .
Actually all people do, in fact, face such a universe without a god-provided meaning or purpose, which most people here get, and some don't.

...But religious people have belief in immortality of the soul and feel comforted by that. It may be that much of their religions doctrines are false beliefs...
This proves that people are perfectly capable of finding meaning and purpose amid the absence of any actual god. A god is therefore not necessary for anyone to be happy or find meaning. Nor is being happy evidence for the workings of gods.

Last edited by Oystein; 31st July 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 06:11 AM   #25
sackett
Philosopher

Happiness is created by the ancestors in their realm beyond the horizon. It can be seen in the shovels, rice, canned fish, batteries, and teeshirts that come out of ships and big shiny metal birds. Right now, witepellah controls everything and won't let us be happy free for nothing, the way the ancestors intend.

Witepellah thinks they're so smart! Woh! Laughing! Soon John Frum will come, and His Believers will all ride Mopeds and wear USA cloth and eat tinned salmon! Witepellah go buggerimup pinis!

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 06:13 AM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh so this is just another sad "Without God what's the point?" thread.

For frack's sake people just say that you start these threads instead of the opening pre-rambles.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:20 AM   #27
Dave Rogers

Since the veil between this world and the afterlife is down, and there is no proof of its existence, most intelligent people assume no such thing exists.
In other words, you posit a god who has created a universe in which humans are given intelligence and encouraged to use it, yet use of that intelligence makes them unhappy and unable to perceive the things that would give them the greatest happiness. Your god is therefore a perverse sadist.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 31st July 2019, 06:25 AM   #28
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Oh so this is just another sad "Without God what's the point?" thread.

For frack's sake people just say that you start these threads instead of the opening pre-rambles.
Its turning into that, but the original idea of the thread is that intellectuals may deny themselves spiritual experience because they find reasoning to refute the existence of a God.

If a person can still their mind, and stop thinking of all the negative reasons why there can be no God, they may find they can open their hearts to emotional floodgates of inner spiritual experience.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 31st July 2019, 06:26 AM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Its turning into that, but the original idea of the thread is that intellectuals may deny themselves spiritual experience because they find reasoning to refute the existence of a God.
Well that the most nonsense that ever sensed a non.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:28 AM   #30
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If a person can still their mind, and stop thinking of all the negative reasons why there can be no God, they may find they can open their hearts to emotional floodgates of inner spiritual experience.
Spiritual experience does not require deities or belief in deities. In fact such belief may be a hindrance.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:34 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Like I've been telling Woo Slingers and Woo Apologists of various stripes for years, if a sunset stops being beautiful to you after you learn it's "just" the light rays from a G-type mains sequence star 90 million miles away scattering into various wavelengths in the atmosphere as the star moves out of your field of view due to the curviature and rotation of the Earth.... and NOT a magical flaming chariot being driven across the sky by the god Apollo I can do nothing but pity you.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:34 AM   #32
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

In other words, you posit a god who has created a universe in which humans are given intelligence and encouraged to use it, yet use of that intelligence makes them unhappy and unable to perceive the things that would give them the greatest happiness. Your god is therefore a perverse sadist.

Dave
I think history has been a balance between spiritual and intellectual development. It goes in cycles, and intellect is currently dominant, at least in the West.

If our intelligence develops we are becoming more fulfilled as a species, but if we go too far we loose our spiritual awareness.

Communism is an example of intellect eclipsing the spiritual and it did not work.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 31st July 2019, 06:52 AM   #33
Dave Rogers

Like I've been telling Woo Slingers and Woo Apologists of various stripes for years, if a sunset stops being beautiful to you after you learn it's "just" the light rays from a G-type mains sequence star 90 million miles away scattering into various wavelengths in the atmosphere as the star moves out of your field of view due to the curviature and rotation of the Earth.... and NOT a magical flaming chariot being driven across the sky by the god Apollo I can do nothing but pity you.
I remember a piece of sculpture my sister made as a college art project, where the assignment was something involving holes in objects. Everyone else who saw it took a quick look, and said, "That's nice." I was taking a course on crystal symmetry and point/space groups, and was fascinated by the way she'd taken a cube, modified it in a way that only partially broke the symmetry, and had ended up with a figure with two-fold, three-fold but no four-fold symmetry. It was a superb demonstration, among other things, of how cubic symmetry is defined not by four-fold symmetry but by four separate three-fold axes. I've forgotten a lot of the theory since then, but I remember enjoying working out the point group of the object she'd created. It served as a valuable lesson for me that I've never forgotten: a full intellectual understanding of an object enhances, rather than detracts from, its beauty. I've always applied that to my thinking ever since, and I could not begin to estimate how much joy it has brought me over the years. Just a couple of weeks ago I watched the sun setting over a river estuary and reflecting off the water to make a perfectly parallel-sided track, giving the appearance of a lower case letter i, and the beauty of the moment was deepened and made more intense by my understanding of exactly how geometrical optics made this possible. And I can't help feeling sorry for people who, because they've been brought up only to value the ideas passed down to them in meaningless religious dogma, refuse to think for themselves, and cut themselves off from such a profound sense of joy.

My sister died eight years ago, leaving many happy memories, and this among other valuable life lessons.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 31st July 2019, 07:59 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Do the dumb people here seem happier to you?
Hard to say. I don't see a lot of "dumb" people here. Just a lot of smart people harboring a lot of hate.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 08:11 AM   #35
dann
Philosopher

Communism is an example of intellect eclipsing the spiritual and it did not work.

Communism was never seriously attempted. What was actually tried, worked for decades, and intellect wasn't what eclipsed it.

Quote:
If our intelligence develops we are becoming more fulfilled as a species, but if we go too far we loose our spiritual awareness.

Intellectuals have to come up with very contrived arguments to give themselves permission to believe in God and/or the supernatural. Ordinary people just believe in whatever they want to believe in. If the intellectuals were smart before they started believing, becoming 'spiritually aware' is the point where they've stopped being smart.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 08:15 AM   #36
dann
Philosopher

I can't help feeling sorry for people who, because they've been brought up only to value the ideas passed down to them in meaningless religious dogma, refuse to think for themselves, and cut themselves off from such a profound sense of joy.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately feeling sorry for people who cut themselves off from a profound sense of joy is what Christians often say when they pity atheists.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 08:24 AM   #37
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I know what you mean, but unfortunately feeling sorry for people who cut themselves off from a profound sense of joy is what Christians often say when they pity atheists.
Oh, the irony isn't lost on me; nor, though, is the invalidity of the argument which tries to portray that feeling as evidence for god. If both sides feel the same sort of things, then those feelings cannot be used to distinguish between one side and the other. Since that's exactly what Scorpion is trying to do, there's actually no better refutation than "But it looks precisely the opposite way round from our side."

Dave

- Myriad
Old 31st July 2019, 08:37 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hard to say. I don't see a lot of "dumb" people here. Just a lot of smart people harboring a lot of hate.
You consider hate and happiness incompatible? It would be nice to imagine hateful people can't truly be happy, but that seems like wishful thinking to me.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:40 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
One can't really enjoy serenity of mind unless one knows other people don't have it, and those people realize they don't have it, and also they acknowledge one does have it, and are burning up with envy over it!

Didn't the Buddha remark "nyah nyah, I'm enlightened, you losers can suck it"?
Old 31st July 2019, 08:41 AM   #40
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I don't say intelligent people cannot be happy. But the consensus of opinions on this forum is there is no God. Therefore most people here have to face a universe without a meaning or purpose.
Careful with all that straw. It's a fire hazard.

The idea that a sense of meaning and purpose can only come from a belief in a god or gods is entirely false. In fact, I think it far nobler to choose as one's meaning the understanding (to the best of our abilities) of the structure of the universe as it really is, and as one's purpose the betterment of ourselves and those around us. I don't need a magical agency to validate my wonder at the imaging of a supermassive black hole 54,000,000 light years away, or my joy at seeing the excitement on my little daughter's face as she watches a hummingbird moth feeding from the flowers in my wife's garden. And I don't need an anthropomorphic omnipotence to feel deep love for my family and friends, and to want the world to be a pleasanter place for my species as a whole.

There is no less meaning or purpose in life without gods. In fact, I would argue the opposite: there is a myriad of meaning and purpose without the imposition of the official Meaning and Purpose of some religious dogma, as we are able to find our own. Which is only appropriate seeing as meaning and purpose only exist in our minds anyway, much like love and wonder.

Quote:
But religious people have belief in immortality of the soul and feel comforted by that.
This assumes that the idea of extinction is universally terrifying, and that no one can possibly experience happiness unless they feel assured that they will continue to consciously exist eternally. Mark Twain noted that he'd been dead for billions of years prior to his birth and it hadn't caused him the least bit of bother. So why should he fear the same nonexistence after his life?

You can't experience nonexistence. And if someone can't find any joy in living a temporally bounded conscious existence, to the point that he/she needs to believe on faith it is boundless in order to enjoy it - if that person can't take joy and meaning from being a temporary part of a great chain of life that extends far beyond any one of us - well then I feel sorry for that person.

Quote:
It may be that much of their religions doctrines are false beliefs. But that may be because the human mind cannot get a handle on the divine mind. The divine mind is presumably infinitely great, whereas the human mind is limited and finite. Possibly by the fact we are using a physical brain to think with. Occult theory states that when we die the spirit mind expands into greater consciousness because we are no longer held back by the limitations of the physical brain.
It may also simply be a way for our brains to comfort themselves by anthropomorphizing the universe into a form that we think we can anticipate and manipulate. After all, if it is something like us, we can potentially please it and cause it to give us what we want. It may even protect us selectively from what we fear. This, I believe, is the ultimate origin of the construction of all such spiritual agencies.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy