ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 11th September 2019, 10:12 PM   #2761
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
He has just said in the people's pmqs that staying in the EU will cost us £250m a week.

He is clearly trying to correct the big fat liar who wrote it was £350m a week 3 years ago.

Oh.
The thing that had bugged me about this is that (apart from the net figure being 150 million to the EU) presumably this doesn't take into account all the economic advantages, profits and savings for UK commerce while being in the EU. Obviously there is much more capital advantages to being in the EU that isn't included in that net figure. i.e. its not as simple as that.

I suspect the real figure is some hundreds of millions in the black for the UK.

Last edited by BadBoy; 11th September 2019 at 10:14 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:53 PM   #2762
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
The thing that had bugged me about this is that (apart from the net figure being 150 million to the EU) presumably this doesn't take into account all the economic advantages, profits and savings for UK commerce while being in the EU. Obviously there is much more capital advantages to being in the EU that isn't included in that net figure. i.e. its not as simple as that.

I think that that particular brick wall stopped listening many, many years ago.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:09 PM   #2763
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that the Conservative Party are continuing to adopt the tactics of the GOP and President Trump. When they break the law, and courts rule against them, claim that the courts are biased and throw the whole idea of an impartial judiciary away so as to achieve your extremist political agenda.

....and use the ol' "people are saying" ploy to do it

Quote:
Kwasi Kwarteng said it is "fact" that people think judges are not impartial after a Scottish court ruled that suspending Parliament was illegal.

The business minister told the BBC's Andrew Neil Show: "I'm not saying this, but, many people... are saying that the judges are biased."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49670901

Then again, it's effective so I guess why not ? (apart from it undermining the foundations of the British legal system)
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:11 PM   #2764
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No deal is still the default outcome.
tl;dr News Youtube about 8 ways Boris Johnson can still get his no-deal

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I managed to watch this. It doesn't seem like BJ has all that many options left. His best best looks like calling a no confidence vote in himself, but that would probably backfire and result in Corbyn asking for the extension before triggering a new GE. Beyond that his options are to send the letter and hoping beyond hope EU doesn't grant another extension. The options descend rapidly from there on, some simply wouldn't work, others come with a probable jail sentence.

EU not granting the extension is somewhat unlikely, given than BJ already asked for an election twice and the opposition already stated they wanted one, after the extension is secured. EU knows this because they have access British news.

Hm. His best bet is probably to go along with the extension, claiming he was coherced into it by Parliament (which is - uncharacteristically - true) and face the election, asking for a Brexit mandate. He would lose votes to Brexit party, but Labour and LibDem may be splitting the Bremain vote too. It's a roll of the dice that might go his way still.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 11th September 2019 at 11:15 PM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:22 PM   #2765
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post

I suspect that it depends on what you include/exclude.

At the very start of the first iteration of this thread we started to put together a list of the "services" provided by the EU which, as a member, the UK takes advantage of. Things like negotiating trade deals, developing and enforcing standards and so on. The costs of setting up these functions in the UK (which would almost certainly be much greater than 1/28 of the cost of the EU doing it) would likely far exceed the £x a week of UK net contributions.

Then we have the cost of implementing EU customs controls and fishing patrols and all those things which are either unnecessary or significantly scaled back because the UK is a member of the EU and dealing with partners rather than third parties. The department of Brexit is costing billions annually, and other departments' workload is increasing significantly. This too would likely far exceed the £x a week of UK net contributions.

We haven't even got to the value of the benefits of being a member of the EU, whether it's simply having a much bigger market to buy from/sell to, the ability to have extended JIT supply chains, access to global markets through EU trade deals, immediate access to a large and highly skilled workforce and so on. These benefits would also likely far exceed the £x a week of UK net contributions.

The Bank of England has forecast a range of values for the "hit" that the UK economy would take as a result of Brexit. Even taking the low value of 3% sets the annual cost of Brexit at more than £500m a week - and that's in perpetuity.

Then again, it was never about lower costs, increased trade and economic growth. For Brexiteers it was about keeping brown people out and returning to the heady days of Empire and for the architects of Brexit it's been about the creation of economic turbulence out of which they plan to personally enrich themselves at the expense of the country, and world, at large.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:09 AM   #2766
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Theyve changed the title of the yellowhammer document before releasing it to pretend once again its a worst case.

at the same time its revealed that 4 and a half billion pounds of short positions are invested on brexit by hedge funds linked to Bojo and Vote Leave.

and a minister goes on tv to disparage the impartiality if the judiciary.

utterly criminal.
According to the GRAUNIAD the original version says 'base case' not 'worst case'. So Michael Gove lied to the Commons.

If that is the 'base case' I hate to think what the 'worst case' model looks like.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:12 AM   #2767
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If the queen has no authority to deny assent, what does it matter if the prime minister lies to her?
She has legal advisers. Enquiring minds (for example, the GRAUNIAD) are asking today what is the point of getting Queen's assent if she can never say, 'no'.

General speaking, she does whatever is advised by the Privy Council (a bunch of government senior ministers). However, one wonders what her own advisers told her.

Last edited by Vixen; 12th September 2019 at 12:13 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:15 AM   #2768
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
I managed to watch this. It doesn't seem like BJ has all that many options left. His best best looks like calling a no confidence vote in himself, but that would probably backfire and result in Corbyn asking for the extension before triggering a new GE. Beyond that his options are to send the letter and hoping beyond hope EU doesn't grant another extension. The options descend rapidly from there on, some simply wouldn't work, others come with a probable jail sentence.

EU not granting the extension is somewhat unlikely, given than BJ already asked for an election twice and the opposition already stated they wanted one, after the extension is secured. EU knows this because they have access British news.

Hm. His best bet is probably to go along with the extension, claiming he was coherced into it by Parliament (which is - uncharacteristically - true) and face the election, asking for a Brexit mandate. He would lose votes to Brexit party, but Labour and LibDem may be splitting the Bremain vote too. It's a roll of the dice that might go his way still.

McHrozni

I cannot wait to see 'chicken' BoJo surrendering to...the 'Surrender Bill', as he provocatively calls it.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:18 AM   #2769
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
According to the GRAUNIAD the original version says 'base case' not 'worst case'. So Michael Gove lied to the Commons.

If that is the 'base case' I hate to think what the 'worst case' model looks like.
We'll find out in about 7 weeks time
Old 12th September 2019, 12:25 AM   #2770
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

[quote]
Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Quote:
15. Facing EU tariffs makes petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability but UK Government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. This leads to significant financial losses and announcement of two refinery closures (and transition to import terminals) and direct job losses (about 2000). Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions directly supplied by the refineries.
Source : https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/st...74282017869824
This is the redacted part as claimed by a tweeter, Rosamund Urwin. According to the rest of Yellowhammer, the impact will be most severe on the lower income groups in t'Grim North. I can foresee long queues at the petrol stations just before 31 October 2019, with rationing having to be imposed. Fights breaking out amongst motorists.

Do these refineries supply fuel to keep manufacturing industries running smoothly (for example, plastics and cosmetics)? What is the likely impact on the closure of two refineries and the loss of 2,000 jobs that made Whitehall insist on redacting this paragraph as even more alarming than two-day delays of lorries bearing fresh food supplies, amongst other commodities?

Presumably there will be a knock on effect on the communities. Rather like when the mines were shut down.

Whole villages and towns dependent generation-to-generation on these jobs.

Last edited by Vixen; 12th September 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:30 AM   #2771
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg is suggesting that Boris Johnson might very well be playing a very canny long game of "divide and rule". The idea is that the 30% to 40% of no-deal Brexiteers will be firmly behind him and enough of the rest will be so sickened by the whole thing that they'll agree to anything just to get this mess over and done with.

Selected quotes from the article.

Quote:
This is Downing Street's fundamental gamble, that in the end, most of the public are in the camp of the fed up and frustrated, who just want this to be over, and therefore they will tolerate a few prime ministerial bumps and scrapes along the way.

And that's why, shocking though it may sound given No 10 has today been found to have misled the monarch and broken the law, in Downing Street, today's result is not entirely seen as bad thing, giving - as some of those close to the PM see it - yet more evidence of the "establishment" trying to stand in the way of allowing Brexit to happen.
Quote:
Throughout the Vote Leave campaign the approach was consistent - if the controversial things they claimed were challenged, their answer was not to demur, but to double down.

The parallels are already there. Listening to government minister Kwasi Kwarteng suggest tonight that independent judges doing their jobs are "interfering" tells us that - even though he used a classic political technique of saying he was only articulating what others were saying.
Quote:
They have made a clear decision about taking a controversial strategy, which could ultimately be successful, from which they won't be diverted.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49669266

Sounds like classic Dom/Bannon
Old 12th September 2019, 12:33 AM   #2772
Lothian
should be banned

Yellowhammer is a realistic worst case. It is what all government departments are currently preparing for.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:34 AM   #2773
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This is the redacted part as claimed by a tweeter, Rosamund Urwin. According to the rest of Yellowhammer, the impact will be most severe on the lower income groups in t'Grim North. I can foresee long queues at the petrol stations just before 31 October 2019, with rationing having to be imposed. Fights breaking out amongst motorists.
Which reminds me, must fill the Jag and MG at some point in the next few weeks. It's useful having a 145 litre (2,400 km in the Skoda) petrol reserve in the garage (even if syphoning is less than pleasurable) in case of emergency.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:35 AM   #2774
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

From Bloomberg 19 August 2019:

Quote:
The U.K. Petroleum Industry Association, which represents the country’s downstream oil sector, urged the U.K. government to adopt a policy of reciprocal tariffs so that British exports are on a level playing field with EU refiners. It says that while gasoline imports to the U.K. could benefit from zero tariffs, its exports of the fuel could face a 4.7% charge if the U.K. exits the EU without a deal and defaults to World Trade Organization rules.

“Refining is a margin-tight industry and these tariffs would put a severe amount of pressure on the sector’s competitiveness,” William James, a UKPIA spokesman, said in an interview.
<snip

Quote:
The U.K. has six oil refineries which combined produce about 400,000 barrels a day of gasoline. About 30% of that -- or 127,000 barrels a day -- is exported, according to Wood Mackenzie estimates.

However, tariffs could cause existing fuel supply routes to be redirected, Wood Mackenzie said. Some of Britain’s current export volumes could be diverted back into the U.K. market, while countries that currently export to the London area, from the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp oil shipping hub, could instead send those volumes to the U.S., Gelder said.

As gasoline exports aren’t a primary income stream for every refinery, potential tariffs may not have a significant impact on some plants, according to energy consultant Facts Global Energy.
So it seems two refineries are likely to close because of the tight margins (between cost of production and what it can be sold for). The problems will lie in redistribution and the logistics associated with it.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:58 AM   #2775
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The idea is that the 30% to 40% of no-deal Brexiteers will be firmly behind him and enough of the rest will be so sickened by the whole thing that they'll agree to anything just to get this mess over and done with.
The only way to "just to get this mess over and done with" is to revoke Article 50. Any other option means years, if not decades, more mess.

I haven't seen anything in the stuff about fuel shortages which says what the likely impact is on supplies of the fuel I (and a million other people who aren't on the gas main) need to heat my home. I have enough LPG in my tank to last until January, so if the supply is disrupted I'll be running out during the coldest time of the year.
Old 12th September 2019, 01:05 AM   #2776
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The only way to "just to get this mess over and done with" is to revoke Article 50. Any other option means years, if not decades, more mess.
Exactly.
Why the hell the media (the Beeb in particular) refrain from pointing this out is really frustrating.

No Deal is not the end of Brexit...it's the start.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:06 AM   #2777
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't seen anything in the stuff about fuel shortages which says what the likely impact is on supplies of the fuel I (and a million other people who aren't on the gas main) need to heat my home. I have enough LPG in my tank to last until January, so if the supply is disrupted I'll be running out during the coldest time of the year.
I don't think even revoking Article 50 will get the mess over and done with. It will create a "stab in the back" narrative that will be used by the extreme right to get political power. Brexiteer newspapers will fan the flames. You should prepare for worse civil unrest.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:07 AM   #2778
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

We're on oil and have a similar issue.

If we don't switch on the AGA and keep the heating low (we have a multifuel stove in the living room) then we may be able to make it through the winter on the 2,000 litres or so that we have.

That said, if there's large-scale shortages of heating oil and LPG, it's likely that I'll have to make the the oil tank more secure

edited to add....

You're absolutely right about revoking article 50 but that appears to be politically impossible.
Old 12th September 2019, 01:11 AM   #2779
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think even revoking Article 50 will get the mess over and done with. It will create a "stab in the back" narrative that will be used by the extreme right to get political power. Brexiteer newspapers will fan the flames. You should prepare for worse civil unrest.
I think it unlikely that the extreme right would be able to get much political power, there really aren't enough of them - or at least enough who are willing to stay the course.

Then again in the EU but with far right extremists steering the ship would still be less damaging than out of the EU (and with the far right de-facto steering the ship) because the EU would provide a moderating influence.
Old 12th September 2019, 01:17 AM   #2780
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I think it unlikely that the extreme right would be able to get much political power, there really aren't enough of them - or at least enough who are willing to stay the course.

Then again in the EU but with far right extremists steering the ship would still be less damaging than out of the EU (and with the far right de-facto steering the ship) because the EU would provide a moderating influence.
You are right. My point is that Brexit is a radicalizing factor for extreme rightwingers.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:19 AM   #2781
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile it seems that Boris Johnson and his team are doing their customary sterling job in Europe - talking without saying anything.

The government's version

Quote:
"We're having conversations this week which pick up on last week's discussions," one official says, "and we've agreed where to focus talks in the future."
The EU's version

Quote:
But while the government says progress is being made, the EU insists no formal proposals have been tabled.

"We want to keep this going," an EU source says. "But at some point the UK needs to give us a proposal. We can't negotiate without one."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49662531

Given the number of proven lies from this government, I know which I am minded to believe.

The UK is apparently hamstrung by the fact that there's nearly no-one left to do the negotiations:

Quote:
But nearly all the UK officials in the Brexit negotiations that produced the current withdrawal agreement, including the backstop, are no longer involved in the process.

"The core of the UK's negotiating team has gone," Joe Owen, of the Institute for Government, says.

"They've either left Whitehall altogether or gone to other jobs across government. There's been a big loss of institutional knowledge."
Old 12th September 2019, 01:25 AM   #2782
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Exactly.

Why the hell the media (the Beeb in particular) refrain from pointing this out is really frustrating.

No Deal is not the end of Brexit...it's the start.
We're in a global race and some people really don't like our car. And they were persuaded we could easily trade it in for a better one over which we'd have greater control.
Now it turns out getting a great trade in deal isn't as simple as we were assured. So Boris intends to solve it by selling the old car outright.

But then we won't have a car. We voted for a new car.

Oh, no, everyone clearly voted to sell the old car.

So there we are on Nov. 1st, at the WTO bus stop, while the rest of the Wacky Racers hurtle past.

Trump has hinted that he'd give us a lift, but nobody mentioned the price yet...
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 01:30 AM   #2783
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Trump has hinted that he'd give us a lift, but nobody mentioned the price yet...
Yes, but we also know he has a track record of failing to turn up, suddenly going in a completely different direction or just kicking people out of his car while he's travelling at speed so it's hardly a comforting thought.
Old 12th September 2019, 01:48 AM   #2784
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1172015270589870081

Quote:
Daily Mail has found some proper dirt on the Scottish judges who ruled prorogation to be unlawful. It turns out one has a "passion for France." Another is a "jazz lover" who predicted Brexit would be "an onerous task." Scandalous stuff
Old 12th September 2019, 02:09 AM   #2785
carlosy
Thinker

Well, some winners at least:

Quote:
BREXIT DISASTER CAPITALISM
£8 Billion Bet on No Deal Crash-Out by Boris Johnson's Leave Backers

While the Prime Minister defies the law and insists Britain will leave the European Union on 31 October, his backers stand to make billions out of the disaster.

-

Currently, £8,274,350,000 (£8.3 billion) of aggregate short positions has been taken out by hedge funds connected to the Prime Minister and his Vote Leave campaign, run by his advisor Dominic Cummings, on a ‘no deal’ Brexit.
https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/b...leave-backers/
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:14 AM   #2786
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yellowhammer is a realistic worst case. It is what all government departments are currently preparing for.
Yellowhammer isn't worst case. That's called Black Swan.

Yellowhammer has been described like this:

Quote:
A senior Whitehall source told the Sunday Times: “This is not Project Fear, this is the most realistic assessment of what the public face with no deal. These are likely, basic, reasonable scenarios – not the worst case.”
Old 12th September 2019, 02:41 AM   #2787
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yellowhammer isn't worst case. That's called Black Swan.

Yellowhammer has been described like this:
Yes I added realistic. As mentioned it it what departments are assuming and working towards. While the EU could nuke us and that would be pretty bad (understatement) no department is working on nuclear shelters. However the are working on food shortages and border delays on the assumption that if they are prepared for the realistic worst case what happens will hopefully be easier to deal with.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:45 AM   #2788
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

OMFG, Brexit is now hitting John Lewis - PANIC !!11!!!!!!111!11!1!!!

Quote:
John Lewis has fallen to a half-year loss and says a no-deal Brexit will have a "significant" impact.

The retailer said while it had prepared for no deal, it could not fully offset the effect and the impact on fresh food supplies was a concern.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49672393
Old 12th September 2019, 02:48 AM   #2789
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
For those of you not planning on sleeping Open Yellowhammer is out.
""3. France will impose EU mandatory controls on UK goods on November 1 after a no deal Brexit and has already built infrastructure and IT system to manage and process customs declarations and support a risk based control regime."

In other words, France better prepared than the UK. Unsurprisingly.

"19. Up to 282 EU and EEA nations fishing vessels could enter illegally, or already be fishing in UK waters (Up to 129 vessels in English waters, 100 vessels in Scottish waters, 40 vessels in Welsh waters, 13 vessels in Northern Irish waters) on day one. This is likely to cause anger and frustration in the UK catching sector, which could lead to both clashes between fishing vessels and an increase in non-compliance in the domestic fleet."

Karma.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 12th September 2019 at 03:39 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:52 AM   #2790
Information Analyst
Philosopher

bit naughty to redact that. claim of commercial sensitivity seems to be another lie
Also monumentally pointless, given that the unredacted version had already been leaked, and was sure to be revealed as soon as the redacted version was released. I'm trying to figure out why they thought it was worthy of a so easily removed figleaf.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:06 AM   #2791
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yellowhammer......who is the genius who that name for a crisis contingency plan was a good idea?
The song of the yellowhammer is usually described as

"A little bit of bread and no cheeeese"

I can't see any possible relevance to planning for a no-deal Brexit.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:10 AM   #2792
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Also monumentally pointless, given that the unredacted version had already been leaked, and was sure to be revealed as soon as the redacted version was released. I'm trying to figure out why they thought it was worthy of a so easily removed figleaf.
It convinces people who couldn't be bothered to investigate ?
Old 12th September 2019, 03:11 AM   #2793
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I thought it was expected case not worst case.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:16 AM   #2794
catsmate
No longer the 1

the uk isnt a two party system
Basically it is. DUP and SF are a separate regional two-part system. The SNP dominates a third, against mainly Labour.

As Duverger's law states, plurality-rule elections (like FPTP) with single-member districts tends to create a two-party system.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:18 AM   #2795
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson, proven liar, lies about not lying to the queen:

Quote:
Boris Johnson has denied lying to the Queen over the advice he gave her over the five-week suspension of Parliament.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49674516
Old 12th September 2019, 03:20 AM   #2796
catsmate
No longer the 1

Another of BoJo's cronies caught lying?

Stroke city in '69 to Ireland in 1919.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:28 AM   #2797
catsmate
No longer the 1

[quote=Vixen;12817507]
Quote:

Do these refineries supply fuel to keep manufacturing industries running smoothly (for example, plastics and cosmetics)? What is the likely impact on the closure of two refineries and the loss of 2,000 jobs that made Whitehall insist on redacting this paragraph as even more alarming than two-day delays of lorries bearing fresh food supplies, amongst other commodities?

Presumably there will be a knock on effect on the communities. Rather like when the mines were shut down.

Whole villages and towns dependent generation-to-generation on these jobs.
Yes, the six UK refineries produce millions of tonnes of petrochemical feedstock for various processes. Expect major protests, as have happened in the past.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:28 AM   #2798
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson, proven liar, lies about not lying to the queen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49674516
That's easily provable. All he needs to do is tell us, in public, what he told the queen and then she will tell us whether he was truthful or not. Her word is beyond reproach, BJ will be either vindicated or decapitated.

Both scenarios are positive for UK as a whole.

Well, BJ? Go public with it please.

McHrozni
Old 12th September 2019, 03:30 AM   #2799
catsmate
No longer the 1

Which reminds me, must fill the Jag and MG at some point in the next few weeks. It's useful having a 145 litre (2,400 km in the Skoda) petrol reserve in the garage (even if syphoning is less than pleasurable) in case of emergency.
I believe Lidl will be selling siphon kits on special in the coming weeks.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:31 AM   #2800
catsmate
No longer the 1

Production won't be a huge problem; distribution will be.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics