ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st August 2019, 11:15 AM   #401
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...be4_story.html

Of course you'd have to be utterly insane to write a tribute like that.
The second coming od God? I guess he realised "Christ" was stupid but was unwilling to start from scratch.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:18 AM   #402
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words.
“President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....

....like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don’t know him or like him. They don’t even know what they’re doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that’s OK, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s good for.....

.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he’s good for everyone in America who wants a job.”

Wow! @newsmax @foxandfriends @OANN
And to go with that: Here's a clip of him calling himself "the chosen one".
Old 21st August 2019, 11:22 AM   #403
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Wow, who else could have come up with such an astonishingly, revolutionary plan?
Trump suffers from the "Common Sense" problem, the idea that all the experts and actual people who's job it is to understand and fix the problems are over thinking it and what they need is some simple, folksy homespun solution.

That's why when his insane rambling codify until an actual plan once in a blue moon when the stars align the plan is never more complicated then "Just stop doing the problem" as if that's never occurred to anyone. He honestly seems to think that the reason we have issues is because nobody but him ever had the idea to just stop having the problem.

"Lower the costs of cars by 3,000" is a child's idea of how making cars cheaper works.

He's every douchebag who's asked a depressed person if they ever tried "Just not being sad" times 1,000 and applied to everything. He's every troll who posts "Just buy a Mac" on every thread about a PC problem. He's an idiot who has mistaken his not grasping the full scope of the problem for some laser guided insight.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 21st August 2019 at 11:30 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:24 AM   #404
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Lower the costs of cars by 3,000" is a child's idea of how making cars cheaper works.
And Mexico will pay for it. We just put more tariffs on cars and...
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:26 AM   #405
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

TrumpTweets

So Germany is paying Zero interest and is actually being paid to borrow money, while the U.S., a far stronger and more important credit, is paying interest and just stopped (I hope!) Quantitative Tightening. Strongest Dollar in History, very tough on exports. No Inflation!.....

....WHERE IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE?
He seems to think the Fed has free money for the taking.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:50 AM   #406
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

For the record, Denmark is only at 1.35% of GDP for NATO spending. They are a wealthy country and should be at 2%. We protect Europe and yet, only 8 of the 28 NATO countries are at the 2% mark. The United States is at a much, much higher level than that....

....Because of me, these countries have agreed to pay ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS more - but still way short of what they should pay for the incredible military protection provided. Sorry!

@NATO, very unfair to the United States!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 21st August 2019 at 11:52 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:53 AM   #407
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Those damned Danes, How dare they not sell me part of their kingdom?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:53 AM   #408
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Trump has clarified that his disloyalty comment meant that American Jews were disloyal to Israel. So there you go, Trump criticizing American Jews for failing to live up to the anti-semitic trope that they owe loyalty to Israel.
The hilarious thing is that his fans were all "helpfully translating" his original remark for him like usual, and all he had to do was use the excuse they were making for him, but he didn't because he doesn't understand that Jewish "loyalty to Israel" is an antisemitic trope.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:55 AM   #409
Checkmite

For the record, Denmark is only at 1.35% of GDP for NATO spending. They are a wealthy country and should be at 2%. We protect Europe and yet, only 8 of the 28 NATO countries are at the 2% mark. The United States is at a much, much higher level than that....

....Because of me, these countries have agreed to pay ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS more - but still way short of what they should pay for the incredible military protection provided. Sorry!

@NATO, very unfair to the United States!
Once again, he thinks the 2% NATO spending ideal is supposed to be paid by each country to the United States.

Also, who is the United States "protecting Europe" from? It's supposed to be Russia, but Trump publicly sides with Putin against Europe at every single turn.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:56 AM   #410
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Remember when Republicans used the phrase "the Anointed One" to mock President Obama?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:57 AM   #411
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I'd say it's much more likely he feels angry about being laughed at and having had the Danish PM reject his daft idea outright and his cancelling/postponing the meeting was done out of spite, because that's the way he reacts to pretty much everything.
So you are going for option 2. That was my thought as well, until somebody told me he was booked to speak at a Danish university as part of the visit, but President Obama was also booked and Trump is concerned that his likely poor reception will be compared with Obama’s likely good reception.

I have no evidence for this, but i’d Like to believe it.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:58 AM   #412
jeremyp
Muse

3. Trump joked about buying Greenland, he got attention for it and at some point reality blurred and he started talking about it as "a real estate deal". It was going to be embarrassing in Denmark when he was laughed at.
That’s a subsection of option 2
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:05 PM   #413
Armitage72
Illuminator

I think the basis of this was that if the manufacturers don't have to make cars that get better mileage and generate less pollution, they can use cheaper technology, which would lower the price of the car.
It's still an unrealistic oversimplification though.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:06 PM   #414
Checkmite

Trump: Danish PM is "nasty":

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Speaking to reporters on the White House South Lawn on Wednesday, President Donald Trump called Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen "nasty" and "not very nice" after she rebuked discussions about a sale of Greenland to the U.S.

"All she had to do was say no," Trump said, adding that Frederiksen was "not very nice" in her refusal.

“She’s not talking to me. She’s talking to the United States of America," Trump said.

Trump also commented on the original idea to buy Greenland, which functions as a semi-autonomous territory of Denmark.

"It was just an idea. Just a thought," Trump said.
Literally all she did was say "Greenland is not for sale", and she was responding to a reporter's question, not either Trump OR "the United States of America". But of course she's a woman who said something Trump didn't like, so that makes her "nasty" because Trump hates women.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:12 PM   #415
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't kowtow and grovel before Dear Leader, you are nasty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:13 PM   #416
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Don't worry everyone, Trump is The Chosen One.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:20 PM   #417
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you don't kowtow and grovel before Dear Leader, you are nasty.
Only if you are a woman, though.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:23 PM   #418
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Remember when Republicans used the phrase "the Anointed One" to mock President Obama?

I was thinking about that too. You could make a pretty good meme:

Conservatives: You worship Obama as your messiah!

Also Conservatives:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...w=1575&bih=904
Old 21st August 2019, 12:24 PM   #419
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I think the basis of this was that if the manufacturers don't have to make cars that get better mileage and generate less pollution, they can use cheaper technology, which would lower the price of the car.
It's still an unrealistic oversimplification though.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Trump had a lackey bring him a spreadsheet of the cost breakdown of the average car, crossed off everything that said "safety" or "emissions/environmental" and that was how he pulled "3,000" out of his ass.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:25 PM   #420
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns shortly after losing re-election. I can't see him meeting with the president-elect to give advice, or sitting through the inauguration.
And it would give President Pence the opportunity to pardon him.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:28 PM   #421
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Yes? It's called taxes...

But what difference does that make between electric and fossil fuel cars?
I think the comment was directed at the poor state of roads in many rural areas and some northern states of the US. Such roads would be rather unkind to a Tesla with 19 to 22 inch wheels with fairly low profile tires.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:29 PM   #422
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Trump had a lackey bring him a spreadsheet of the cost breakdown of the average car, crossed off everything that said "safety" or "emissions/environmental" and that was how he pulled "3,000" out of his ass.
That's rather more work than I expect.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:31 PM   #423
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Norway manges

My Skoda Octavia seats 5, runs on petrol, has 150hp so is sufficiently powerful and I'm averaging over 50 mpg.
I don't doubt that they are great, and I support people using them in states where it's practical.

There would be no way that those cars can make it through the snow we get in the winter here though. It would be impossible. We have a Malibu and a Durango, and the Malibu sits for the majority of the winter.

It's not so much the power, though that does play a part. It's more the clearance. Most of the electric\high MPG vehicles are cars that sit lower, and you need the clearance for winter driving.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:39 PM   #424
plague311
Great minds think...

It's funny how frequently Trump has to wrap himself in the flag, and I'm shocked it doesn't trigger his narcissism.

Though in this situation it seems more like he's trying to get people mad at Denmark, despite the bulk of his base not even knowing where Denmark is on a map. Even if they did get mad they wouldn't be sure in which direction to send their angst.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:51 PM   #425
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Greenland: Trump criticises 'nasty' Denmark over cancelled visit

Quote:
Speaking to reporters on the White House lawn on Wednesday afternoon, Mr Trump took umbrage at Ms Frederiksen's remarks.

"I thought that the prime's statement that it was absurd, that it was an absurd idea was nasty," he said.

"I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say no, we wouldn't be interested."

He added: "She's not talking to me. She's talking to the United States of America. You don't talk to the United States that way, at least under me."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49423968
Old 21st August 2019, 12:54 PM   #426
carlitos
"más divertido"

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:54 PM   #427
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Can't wait for evangelical Christians to explain away the POTUS endorsing the idea that he's the second coming of the Messiah.
The reference was to Israelis thinking he was the second coming, while some of them are probably still waiting for the first.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:56 PM   #428
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

No, he's not visiting anymore.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:58 PM   #429
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I was thinking about that too. You could make a pretty good meme:

Conservatives: You worship Obama as your messiah!

Also Conservatives:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...w=1575&bih=904
That was one of the more creepy things.
Old 21st August 2019, 12:59 PM   #430
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Or he just dug around in there and out it came.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:11 PM   #431
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Or he just dug around in there and out it came.
And that is absolutely equally possible.

But some sort of hamfisted "Airbags!? When I was a kid we didn't have airbags Emissions control? Screw the hippies!" trimming the fat routine is exactly the kind of thing his mind and ego would mistake for "a solution."
Old 21st August 2019, 01:31 PM   #432
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Oh and now he's all upset because the Danish PM "blew him off". The man has skin the thickness of wet tissue paper.
But one must not suggest that he has any mental illnesses. That's a dangerous precedent, and one must never break precedent, which is why Turtle Mitch refused to endorse Obama's Supreme Court nominee.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:33 PM   #433
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump: Danish PM is "nasty":

Literally all she did was say "Greenland is not for sale", and she was responding to a reporter's question, not either Trump OR "the United States of America". But of course she's a woman who said something Trump didn't like, so that makes her "nasty" because Trump hates women.
For anyone who didn't watch the video, this is the full text from it - all trump:

"Denmark, I looked forward to going, but I though that the prime minister's statement that it was 'absurd', that was, 'it was an absurd idea', was nasty. I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say 'no, we wouldn't be interested'. But we can't treat the United States of America the way they treated us under President Obama. I though it was a very uh not nice way of saying something. They could have told me no.
All they had to do is say 'no, we'd rather not do that' or 'we'd rather not talk about it'. Don't say 'what an absurd idea that is'. Because she's not talking to me - excuse me (to a reporter)- she's not talking to me. She's talking to the United States of America. You don't talk to the United States that way, at least under me.
"

How dare anyone call any idea of his absurd.

ETA: YOU'RE the absurd one! It's my ball and i'm taking it with me.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 21st August 2019 at 01:41 PM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:40 PM   #434
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
For anyone who didn't watch the video, this is the full text from it - all trump:

"Denmark, I looked forward to going, but I though that the prime minister's statement that it was 'absurd', that was, 'it was an absurd idea', was nasty....she's not talking to me - excuse me (to a reporter)- she's not talking to me. She's talking to the United States of America. You don't talk to the United States that way, at least under me."
But, but.... Trump has said that the U.S. is now "respected" in the world! How can that be if someone is talking bad about the United States if its so respected?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:54 PM   #435
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Don't forget too that if Trump is applying Trumpian business practice to the car makers, that could also include screwing suppliers.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:00 PM   #436
gregthehammer
Muse

Mike! You don't come to Las Vegas and talk to a man like Moe Greene like that!
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:17 PM   #437
Dread Pirate Roberts
Scholar

After today's performance, I started thinking again whether there is any validity to the fatigue factor in the election. Which just means that people, even ones that aren't completely opposed to Trump's policies, would be so tired of the day-in day-out drama emanating from the White House that they either vote Dem or don't vote at all - "His policies are fine, but I'm just sick of the ******** that he puts out every single day"

It may be not a huge group, or any group at all I suppose. I'm not on social media much, but I do know the pro-Trump posts that used to be all over the place from my conservative friends (I'm from Oklahoma) are just about gone. Even the latest Squad ruckus, which did surprise me a little.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:47 PM   #438
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Mike! You don't come to Las Vegas and talk to a man like Moe Greene like that!
Fredo, I love you but don't EVER side against the family again...…

Of course, the payoff for that line happened in Godfather 2.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:51 PM   #439
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I'm not on social media much, but I do know the pro-Trump posts that used to be all over the place from my conservative friends (I'm from Oklahoma) are just about gone. Even the latest Squad ruckus, which did surprise me a little.
They'll be reactivated during the election.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:51 PM   #440
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

“Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words.
“President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....

....like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don’t know him or like him. They don’t even know what they’re doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that’s OK, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s good for.....

.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he’s good for everyone in America who wants a job.”

Wow! @newsmax @foxandfriends @OANN
Quote:
Root is known for spreading conspiracy theories.[3][4][5]

Root was a leading proponent of the conspiracy theory that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States.[27] At one point, Root falsely claimed that Obama was not a student at Columbia University;[4] at another point, in an interview with Sean Hannity, Root said that he believed that Obama was a "foreign exchange student" at Columbia.[5] Root has described Obama as a "Marxist, anti-American, anti-Israel, globalist, middle class-hating, Muslim sympathizer".[5] He also claimed that Obama was gay, called him "Bathhouse Barry" and said that he had info from Obama's "friends in Chicago" about Obama's "sordid past".[5] He has described Obama as a "Manchurian candidate", possibly hired by the Bilderberg Group to destroy the United States and "kill all of us".[5]

He promoted conspiracy theories around the murder of Seth Rich, and at various times suggested that Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Hillary Clinton, Donna Brazile, Bill Clinton, Eric Schneiderman and John Podesta were involved in the murder.[5]

During the white supremacist Unite the Right rally, Root falsely claimed that the white supremacist James Alex Fields Jr. who killed Heather Heyer was "such B.S. Probably paid actors & infiltrators hired by Soros. No conservative I’ve ever met commits violence. EVER."[5]

Root tweeted in the aftermath of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting: "This is a real thing. Clearly Coordinated Muslim Terror attack. PRAY for our Vegas police. PRAY for victims. VERY bad. Awful."[28] It was later confirmed that the shooter was 64-year-old Mesquite, Nevada, resident Stephen Paddock.[29] Root then defended his original claim by tweeting: "Terrible day. Liberal fools criticizing me 4 reporting what I hear DIRECT from police & credible news sources. I report it as I hear it."[30]

Root argued that Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election is motivated by "penis envy", because "Mueller’s is smaller than Trump’s."[5]
The crazy world of Wayne Root.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics