ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th August 2019, 06:31 PM   #161
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Social media.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:48 PM   #162
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Little weird that it triggers for passersby. I've never seen that, but I use the default mapping service on my phone, so I don't recall ads of any sort.
Google maps is always asking for feedback via notifications (not SMS) on places I've been at or near.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:48 PM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
People who spent money at the resort, and might do so again if their likes are taken into account.

Do you seriously not understand the role of customer feedback surveys in the success of a business venture?
Oh brother.

Don't you think they would give customer feedback satisfaction surveys to actual customers and not people whose phones pinged in the area?

Have you no imagination as to what other possibilities such data collection might be aimed at?
Old 19th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #164
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I was recently (reluctantly) in Miami for work. On the way to a meeting I stopped at the intersection in front of the Trump Dorral golf resort. I had my GPS ap turned on as this was my first time driving in Miami. Now, I'm getting texts for me to take a survey about my stay at Trump's resort. Can you imagine the humiliation? To be associated with his kind? He's not really even a person. I'd never give that sort of scum my money let alone allow decent people to think I was in any way associated with his property. Fortunately, so far the messages haven't come up when I was around friends and real Americans. You'd think me responding by calling Trump the son of a pig ****** whore and an uppity boy who needs to learn his place around his betters would have stopped the texts. Still, since I've been given an avenue to insult Trump and his family, I'll continue to take it.

Patriotism is hurting Trump every chance you get.
Have you considered taking the survey and giving them a very poor review?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Google maps is always asking for feedback via notifications (not SMS) on places I've been at or near.
So what kinds of surveys were triggered for driving past a location that suggested they were a customer satisfaction survey?
Old 19th August 2019, 06:51 PM   #166
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe I've just learned to ignore it. I haven't noticed.

The ability to ignore such annoying requests is surely a boon.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:54 PM   #167
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Have you considered taking the survey and giving them a very poor review?
I'd take to to see the questions.

Trump almost certainly tosses out bad reviews if they truly are collecting customer data. Maybe they are padding the numbers: Toss out bad reviews, keep good ones, and use random passerbys to fill up the data base.
Old 19th August 2019, 07:02 PM   #168
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Little weird that it triggers for passersby. I've never seen that, but I use the default mapping service on my phone, so I don't recall ads of any sort.
Not weird at all, actually. Better to cast a wide net.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:22 PM   #169
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I meant it was weird because I haven't seen that happen, but perhaps I just haven't noticed or something.

But I'd say it's also weird because were I a business owner, I would want reviews from those who visited my business and not from those who didn't I don't think I'd like to increase the former by also increasing the latter. Again, maybe lots of businesses do this sort of thing. I just haven't heard of it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:23 PM   #170
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I suspect strong psychotropic drugs were involved.
But it still made enough sense to Donny that he retweeted it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:25 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It still made more sense that a lot of what Donny says. The beginning of his sentences seldom have any connection to their end.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:35 PM   #172
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It still made more sense that a lot of what Donny says. The beginning of his sentences seldom have any connection to their end.
McGee is a stuffed shirt academic who wouldn't be caught in the 'hood trying to call himself a "Brotha". He'd be laughed off the block. He's auditioning for a job with the Trump campaign. With Omarosa gone they need a spook to sit by the door.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:35 PM   #173
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

But it still made enough sense to Donny that he retweeted it. : boggled :
Circular.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:42 PM   #174
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
But it still made enough sense to Donny that he retweeted it. : boggled :
Circular.
What the hell does that mean? What is circular there?

Ah, never mind. I recall the last time I asked you what you meant. I don't need any more dull memes.
Old 19th August 2019, 07:46 PM   #175
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
...sentences??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 08:03 PM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A wide net of what?

Random strangers with no experience in the thing you are asking their opinion on?
Old 19th August 2019, 08:05 PM   #177
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
A wide net of what?

Random strangers with no experience in the thing you are asking their opinion on?
Sure, why not! Anything to boost the numbers!
Old 19th August 2019, 08:23 PM   #178
surrogate
Critical Thinker

So what kinds of surveys were triggered for driving past a location that suggested they were a customer satisfaction survey?
Don't think I have ever received a notification for driving past, only places I have stopped at or nearby. They usually ask something like Please rate you experience or How was you trip at store/restaurant name. I generally just swipe them away.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 08:50 PM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Don't think I have ever received a notification for driving past, only places I have stopped at or nearby. They usually ask something like Please rate you experience or How was you trip at store/restaurant name. I generally just swipe them away.
But they are asking you to rate an experience you never had. Am I reading that right? Why do you think they are doing that?
Old 19th August 2019, 09:21 PM   #180
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

But they are asking you to rate an experience you never had. Am I reading that right? Why do you think they are doing that?
It's all about the numbers. If 20,000 people responded to this "survey" rather than the couple of dozen who actually stayed there, it becomes "popular" by social media definition. They probably all get put on TripAdvisor.
Old 19th August 2019, 09:49 PM   #181
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's all about the numbers. If 20,000 people responded to this "survey" rather than the couple of dozen who actually stayed there, it becomes "popular" by social media definition. They probably all get put on TripAdvisor.
Yeah that's similar to what I was thinking, they'll toss the negatives and pad the positives with the fake replies. I don't think Trip Adviser accepts indirect results.
Old 19th August 2019, 09:52 PM   #182
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yeah that's similar to what I was thinking, they'll toss the negatives and pad the positives with the fake replies. I don't think Trip Adviser accepts indirect results.
Exactly. All they need is some bots to post them. I wonder if there are any of those available somewhere in the world just now...
Old 19th August 2019, 09:54 PM   #183
surrogate
Critical Thinker

I think you are reading more into it than necessary. Most of the time it asks about the correct place, sometimes it picks the wrong place within the same shopping center. I don't think they are intentionally asking me to rate someplace I wasn't at.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:00 PM   #184
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Could be because advertisers are withdrawing their cash:

Media Matters: Tucker Carlson loses advertisers after remarks about “hoax” of white supremacy

MM reports they are still losing advertisers even with Tucker on a time out. From their email today:
So you mean that someonemight rightly label it, "The failing Fox News"?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:24 PM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think you are reading more into it than necessary. Most of the time it asks about the correct place, sometimes it picks the wrong place within the same shopping center. I don't think they are intentionally asking me to rate someplace I wasn't at.
It was Craig4 I was talking about. You seem to have conflated the general 'you' with you personally. I should have said 'one'.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th August 2019 at 10:26 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:47 PM   #186
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
And how many divisions does Greenland have?

No Greenland army, but:

Quote:
Number of Law Enforcement Firearms: Police in Greenland are reported to have 300 firearms
Number of Privately Owned Firearms: The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Greenland is: 13,000 (2017)
Firearms: Region: Greenland (gunpolicy.org)

And don't get me started on the number of harpoons! About Greenland hunting culture (visitgreenland.com)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 12:12 AM   #187
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought!
@JudicialWatch
Some context on the latest conspiracy theory trump has picked up on:
Quote:
A claim, mind you, that is very bold. Getting millions of voters to vote a particular way is the sort of thing that political parties spend a lot of time trying to figure out. Epstein is claiming that more than 2 percent of all 2016 voters were influenced to vote for Clinton by Google. The scale is massive.

So why does he make this claim? He appears to have combined two bits of research he’s conducted: a 2015 look at how search engine results can influence political opinion and a collection of search results from users before the 2016 contest. Over the last 25 days of the campaign, a summary of the latter research suggests, “we found that search results were, on average, biased to favor Hillary Clinton on all of those days.” Given that his earlier research found results could influence views of candidates, we get the top-line assumption.

What does “biased to favor Hillary Clinton” mean? We don’t know. The summary doesn’t explain what that looks like.
Oh, and as an added kicker:
Quote:
It’s worth noting that bias by Google is precisely what Epstein expected to see. In August 2015, he wrote an essay for Politico in which he predicted that Google might be able to influence the election and, voilà, so it did.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...googles-fault/
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 12:37 AM   #188
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The article speaks of the factory workers who were forced to attend. It's not the same as paying people for the rallies.
The article speaks of the factory workers who wouldn't be eligable for a certain amount of money they would normally get, if they failed to attend the rally.

How is it different again?

McHrozni
Old 20th August 2019, 01:20 AM   #189
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by TheSupermeerkat; 20th August 2019 at 01:47 AM.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 01:53 AM   #190
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Some context on the latest conspiracy theory trump has picked up on:

Oh, and as an added kicker:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...googles-fault/
I thought Belz's point was that it was worse.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:25 AM   #191
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Spoke to my two good friends, Prime Minister Modi of India, and Prime Minister Khan of Pakistan, regarding Trade, Strategic Partnerships and, most importantly, for India and Pakistan to work towards reducing tensions in Kashmir. A tough situation, but good conversations!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 04:10 AM   #192
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
The article speaks of the factory workers who wouldn't be eligable for a certain amount of money they would normally get, if they failed to attend the rally.

How is it different again?

McHrozni
Not forfeiting an amount of money you'd normally get is not the same thing as being paid to attend some event. That's quite different. From the title, you'd get the impression that people at Trump's rallies are paid to be there -- which wouldn't surprise me. But this isn't the case. It's people who are NOT going to be paid in full if they don't attent as part of their work.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I thought Belz's point was that it was worse.
No, just different. Different enough for the title to be misleading.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:06 AM   #193
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Not forfeiting an amount of money you'd normally get is not the same thing as being paid to attend some event. That's quite different.
It is? How?

McHrozni
Old 20th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #194
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
It is? How?
What do you mean "how"? It's not the same thing, ergo it's different.

Scenario 1: "Hey, man. Wanna make some money? Come to this rally and I'll pay you 200 bucks!"
Scenario 2: "Don't forget to come to the auditorium tomorrow, rather than your cubicle. If you don't come, you won't get the overtime pay. You're still paid as per usual, however. It's not mandatory."

Those are two completely different things. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:10 AM   #195
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The overtime pay is their usual pay.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:12 AM   #196
Susheel
Graduate Poster

False equivalence and very different. In the former case, people can volunteer to attend and be paid for it. For the factory workers, their day's wages that they are rightfully entitled to are on the line based on their attendance. Their is no question of choice. And Americans are very big (at least in rhetoric) on the right to choose.
Old 20th August 2019, 05:15 AM   #197
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Spoke to my two good friends, Prime Minister Modi of India, and Prime Minister Khan of Pakistan, regarding Trade, Strategic Partnerships and, most importantly, for India and Pakistan to work towards reducing tensions in Kashmir. A tough situation, but good conversations!
The Hindu rightwing in India will use this as carte blanche to continue their current atrocities in Kashmir...
Old 20th August 2019, 05:31 AM   #198
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The overtime pay is their usual pay.
Anyway, the point is that being denied overtime for not participating in an activity related to your work is not the same as not getting anything for not going to a rally someone tried to recruit you for.

Old 20th August 2019, 05:38 AM   #199
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Anyway, the point is that being denied overtime for not participating in an activity related to your work is not the same as not getting anything for not going to a rally someone tried to recruit you for.
If they didn't attend the rally, they got an 'excused day off', which means it won't count against them. If they chose and had it available, they could use Vacation or PTO. So, they lose 1 day of regular pay.

Since they didn't work that day, on Friday their normal overtime hours would be calculated as regular time. So they lose 1 day of overtime pay.

ETA: I thought I'd do more math: Assume $30 per hour below

Note: The workers by contract work 56 hours a week, with 16 of that as overtime: 56 = 40 x 1.0 + 16 x 1.5. = 64 hours of pay. $1920

The people not at the rally, at best, got 56 hours = 40 x 1.0 + 8 x 1.5 + 8 Vacation/PTO. = 60 hours of pay. $1800

If they didn't use Vacation/PTO, 48 hours = 40 x 1.0 + 8 x 1.5 = 52 hours of pay. $1560

Plug in any value for hourly wage, and you will see the impact.

ETA: up to $360 lost to employee.

Last edited by The Greater Fool; 20th August 2019 at 06:01 AM.
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:53 AM   #200
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

You are correct. It's worse. They are not getting paid their normal wage unless they attend Trump's event.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics