ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags religion humor

Old 21st August 2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Ricardo

In the future there will be no religion!

will science kill religion?
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 12:21 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Can we hurry up and do something about this one sentence spam nonsense?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:10 PM   #3
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
I doubt it. The world is filled with the gullible.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:31 PM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Better question -

Will religious differences lead to the end of the world as we know it?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:43 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Better question -

If it does, it will be because of science. Those goat herders could never make a bomb.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Ricardo

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If it does, it will be because of science. Those goat herders could never make a bomb.
if religion has to unite with science! a fusion between religion and science!
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:55 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Better question -

Can't see how it would be anything else.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Ricardo

Religion must unite with science.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:34 PM   #9
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Why? What benefit would pertain, if any, to such a union?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:37 PM   #10
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Why? Because you say so?

Hans
Old 21st August 2019, 02:41 PM   #11
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What does science need with religion? Frankly I think that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:48 PM   #12
Thor 2
Philosopher

What does science need with religion? Frankly I think that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

Certainly earns a place among the most stupid utterances I have ever heard of.

Religion is not soluble in science, or the other way around. Be like trying to dissolve a dog turd in a glass of fine alcohol.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Ricardo

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Without religion, science can be used by human evil!
Old 21st August 2019, 02:51 PM   #14
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

Religion is not soluble in science, or the other way around. Be like trying to dissolve a dog turd in a glass of fine alcohol.
explain to me why?
Old 21st August 2019, 02:58 PM   #15
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Well one is superstition. So I don't get the purpose of the idea.
Old 21st August 2019, 03:05 PM   #16
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It can be with religion as well. Personally I think the religion I was taught growing up is evil. It endorsed child killing, sexism, homophobia, racism, rape, slavery and genocide.

So you'll excuse me for thinking uniting science which I love and that crap which I despise is a very bad idea.
Old 21st August 2019, 03:08 PM   #17
8enotto
Graduate Poster

It will be the anti renaissance period of human history.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 03:51 PM   #18
Thor 2
Philosopher

explain to me why?

Sigh ..... I think it's quite obvious, and I think most here would agree with me.

Science is a method of getting to the truth of a matter. The method involves observation of phenomena, making an hypothesis, and testing until a theory may be arrived at.

Religion relies on acceptance of something by faith alone. Any observation of phenomena contradicting the faith based assumption is rejected.

If you cannot see the conflict here that points to incompatibility I can't help you.
Old 21st August 2019, 04:00 PM   #19
Pope130
Illuminator

...And religion can be, and has been, used for evil. Wedded to science religion would be much more efficient at doing harm.

Science and technology are neutral. How they are used, and their effect is dependent on who uses them, and for what ends.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:02 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
More successful prosecution of religious wars.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:21 PM   #21
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
More successful prosecution of religious wars.
Light sabres for beheadings of adulterers and blasphemers!
Old 21st August 2019, 04:31 PM   #22
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
You mean like religious nutcases murdering people with the latest and greatest firearms?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:45 PM   #23
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:55 PM   #24
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Religion is already actively evil all on it's own.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:14 PM   #25
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

Which religion must unite with science?
Old 21st August 2019, 07:33 PM   #26
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Which religion must unite with science?
Christianity
Old 21st August 2019, 07:34 PM   #27
Ricardo

the doctrine of Jesus Christ
Old 21st August 2019, 07:36 PM   #28
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Why choose that one? Why not Buddhism or Tenrikyo?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:56 PM   #29
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I know, Jesus Christ didn't have a doctrine. He authored nothing. What you're really talking about is the doctrine of Paul. Someone who didn't and couldn't have a clue what Jesus thought or wanted. And ANONYMOUS individuals who wrote the gospels a half a century after Jesus lived if he lived at all.

You should also keep in mind that Jesus told people to obey the law. He supposedly told people to abandon their families and follow him. He also said give everything to the poor. And take no thought for the morrow. Do you think that is a good idea?
Old 21st August 2019, 08:05 PM   #30
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

Okay. Which parts of the doctrine of Jesus Christ should change to be more united with science or with the knowledge gained from science?
Old 21st August 2019, 08:05 PM   #31
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sure!

I recall fondly the confidence with which I announced to my mates in Form 5 at school (11th Grade for Americans) that religion would be dead and gone by the year 2000, then still over a quarter of a century away. How did that turn out?

Science, nor anything else, will ever kill religion.

People wants to believe.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:33 PM   #32
Ricardo

As far as I know, Jesus Christ didn't have a doctrine. He authored nothing. What you're really talking about is the doctrine of Paul. Someone who didn't and couldn't have a clue what Jesus thought or wanted. And ANONYMOUS individuals who wrote the gospels a half a century after Jesus lived if he lived at all.

You should also keep in mind that Jesus told people to obey the law. He supposedly told people to abandon their families and follow him. He also said give everything to the poor. And take no thought for the morrow. Do you think that is a good idea?
You can't interpret the gospels to the letter! have to interpret figuratively!

Loving others is a good idea!
Old 21st August 2019, 08:59 PM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Then what parts do you take literally and how can you tell one from the other? I'm good with loving others. But I am not interested in ******* preachers telling me how to live my life. I also have a huge problem with the homophobia, sexism and racism in the bible.

But this was a discussion about uniting science which is based on methodological naturalism and your religion which I'm afraid is based on superstitious cow manure. I don't believe in gods (except maybe Thor in the latest Marvel movie) or talking donkeys, snakes or other absurdities. So how do you reconcile the two?
Old 21st August 2019, 09:13 PM   #34
fromdownunder
Philosopher

So, was the crucifixion literate or figurative? And what is your evidence for it if you claim it was literate?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:20 PM   #35
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So, was the crucifixion literate or figurative? And what is your evidence for it if you claim it was literate?

Norm
It was definitely illiterate. That's why they had to use a big cross.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:24 PM   #36
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Can't see how it would be anything else.
Really? Do you think wars are never fought for secular reasons?

Also, how did you rule out the danger from plagues, pestilence, famines, environmental catastrophe, meteor strikes etc.?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:34 PM   #37
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

if religion has to unite with science! a fusion between religion and science!
Religion is a magic oriented, faith-based fantasy.

Science is a fact oriented, evidence-based discipline.

The two have nothing in common - science has absolutely nothing to gain by joining with religion.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:35 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:38 PM   #39
Minoosh
Philosopher

He was a hard guy to nail down.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:46 PM   #40
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I second smartcooky's applause.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy