ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags religion humor

Old 21st August 2019, 10:19 PM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Apple is a Religion.

most designer brands are.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 10:20 PM   #42
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
It was definitely illiterate. That's why they had to use a big cross.
I second smartcooky's applause.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:05 AM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Light sabres for beheadings of adulterers and blasphemers!
That's magic, not science.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:12 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
will science kill religion?
Hasn't managed to yet. And it's been at it for centuries.

No, in the future we'll just have different religions, with some masquarading as science.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:25 AM   #45
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's magic, not science.
It's a joke. ...maybe not a funny one...but it is still a joke.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:28 AM   #46
Apathia
Philosopher

Religion must unite with science.
Would that be a shotgun wedding?

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:34 AM   #47
Apathia
Philosopher

You can't interpret the gospels to the letter! have to interpret figuratively!

Loving others is a good idea!
And loving others is a good idea that existed before the religion of Christianity and will exist long after.

If by "religion" you man education that teaches and encourages compassion, sure we need that as a part of our culture. However compassion transcends what most people call religion and has usually been impaired by what most people call religion.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 22nd August 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:52 AM   #48
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

No, in the future we'll just have different religions, with some masquarading as science.
We already have one, its called scientology.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:47 AM   #49
JesseCuster
Muse

edit: Nevermind, I understand now.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:34 PM   #50
fibbermcgee
Scholar

Ricardo there is a science church! That's right the church of Christ Scientist (Mary Baker Eddy and the key to the scriptures) Unfortunately the word Science is defined by the word Christian. The followers believe that disease is an illusion. You are probably familiar with the children who died at the hands of parents because the child was not allowed to see a doctor.

My own mother a, Christian Scientist, refused to let the high school I attended administer a polio shot. I took the note and signed it myself. Too many pictures of iron lungs. I was about 13 at the time.

Oddly enough the Church publishes the Christian Science Monitor, a well respected newspaper with no religion involved.
fibbermcgee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:43 PM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Scientology bears as little resemblance to science as Christian Science does.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:00 PM   #52
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Ninja'd by arth.

The late Christopher Hitchens (peace be upon him), once made the mistake of referring to Christian Scientists instead of Scientists who were Christian.
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:42 PM   #53
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Science may not have destroyed religion yet. However it is making progress. Before the modern printing press in the 1400s everyone was deeply religious. If in Europe then you were mostly Catholic. After Martin Luther and King Henry 8 there started many other churches. Then people started questioning religion and it became less important. Now only a minority of people go to a place of worship at least once a month.
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:17 AM   #54
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

duplicate

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd August 2019 at 03:38 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:19 AM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
IMO, Scorpion's comment is a fair one. The core tenet of Scientology (Dianetics) does masquerade as science, even if there is zero scientific basis for any of it.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:43 PM   #56
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I read the thread title and wish it was yesterday sciences killed religion, all of them.

But I fear if that were true there would be a good 2/3 of world population with nothing to hope for, nothing to work for and worse, no dirty ,( other faith group ) to fear and or plan how to kill.
They would have nothing to do but go look for a job or something.

Most don't know or care about sciences or technology, they would reinvent a god or gods to fill the hole and make him offer them eternal life or something.

It's what people do.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 10:26 PM   #57
dann
Philosopher

will science kill religion?

Only in combination with welfare. If you don't have access to science-based medicine, you'll go to a witch doctor if that's your only option. If you see no way of feeding your children, you may pray for a solution. Improving the standards of living kills religion.

Quote:
A new article in the NY Times, Scandinavian Nonbelievers, Which Is Not to Say Atheists, also shows that if people have reason to feel secure and safe because the conditions of life are, if not top notch then at least more than tolerable as far as ”life expectancy, child welfare, literacy, schooling, economic equality, standard of living” are concerned, they seem to lose the need to believe.
The Death-of-Religion thread
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 24th August 2019 at 10:29 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 03:19 AM   #58
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Which religion must unite with science?
Christianity
the doctrine of Jesus Christ

It has been tried before: The Catholic Church and science: Scientific Revolution and the Church (Wikipedia).
Religion didn't like it, so science was faced with the choice of either confirming dogma, i.e. abandon science, or breaking free from the Church. Some chose one way, and they are still around today (see Creation science (Wikipedia)). Others chose to disregard doctrine, trust their own research and abandon religion (see Evolution (Wikipedia)).
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #59
Wolrab
Illuminator

Religion must unite with science.
That would make science so much easier. You get stuck or an experiment doesn't work out? It's obvious God did it! Or we are not meant to know.

The god of the Jews and Christians is already scared we will become like him. He flipped out on Adam and Eve and the builders of the Tower of Babel because we got too close to godhood for his liking.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:22 PM   #60
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The gigantic memeplexes of religion have been replaced slowly by politics. They are the exact same phenomena: Clusters of memes getting people to behave in ways to seize the brass ring of power.

It's the seizure of the brass ring of power that is the problem, and why freedom is the solution, just as it was with religion.

We now return you to your conversation arguing about how many angels are on the head of a pin.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 04:28 AM   #61
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Sure!

I recall fondly the confidence with which I announced to my mates in Form 5 at school (11th Grade for Americans) that religion would be dead and gone by the year 2000, then still over a quarter of a century away. How did that turn out?

Science, nor anything else, will ever kill religion.

People wants to believe.
Douai, my old place, shut in 1999, so you weren't far wrong. :-)

Here's the thing, though, The Atheist, religion, at school, was just something that we sort of did, a bit like maths or chemistry. Certainly for me it wasn't a big deal. I basically drifted out of it once I left. My old place was responsible for inflicting Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on the world :-)
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 04:33 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Science may not have destroyed religion yet. However it is making progress. Before the modern printing press in the 1400s everyone was deeply religious.
Were they deeply, though? Or were they mostly just practicing Christians who spent little of their time thinking about it because they had a lot more stuff to do, day-to-day?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 10:51 AM   #63
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Before the modern printing press in the 1400s everyone was deeply religious.
And then came the dime novels, penny dreadfuls, and the Comic Books! Popular music, dancing, the theater, movies, TV, video games, Facebook, Twitter, skateboards! They took Bible and prayer out of our schools. They put Norse gods in our movies!

And most are still deeply superstitious!

Author Unknown
Old 28th August 2019, 02:10 AM   #64
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Were they deeply, though? Or were they mostly just practicing Christians who spent little of their time thinking about it because they had a lot more stuff to do, day-to-day?
Lots of things were done in the name of religion. Like the crusades. Many people were burned alive for being the wrong religion. Galileo was put under house arrest because his knowledge was in conflict with the church. Many very big churches were built with lots of labor. There are heaps more examples showing that many people took religion seriously.
Old 28th August 2019, 02:48 AM   #65
LongFuzzy
Thinker

Will we call ourselves Unified Atheist League or United Atheist Alliance or Allied Atheist Allegiance?
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 02:56 AM   #66
catsmate
No longer the 1

In the future science will make the gods.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 03:33 PM   #67
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Meh. They told me in the future there would be Rollerball.

No Rollerball.

"Always in motion is the future," Yoda said. But not Rollerball motion, apparently.
Old 28th August 2019, 04:03 PM   #68
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Meh. They told me in the future there would be Rollerball.

No Rollerball.

"Always in motion is the future," Yoda said. But not Rollerball motion, apparently.
But were are not yet in the future, we remain in the present.
"Jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 05:54 AM   #69
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Christianity
Which one?
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:30 AM   #70
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Which one?
I guess whichever one omits the restriction against consorting with familiar spirits.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:43 PM   #71
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
Will we call ourselves Unified Atheist League or United Atheist Alliance or Allied Atheist Allegiance?
Splitter!

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 06:12 PM   #72
Myles
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Sure!

I recall fondly the confidence with which I announced to my mates in Form 5 at school (11th Grade for Americans) that religion would be dead and gone by the year 2000, then still over a quarter of a century away. How did that turn out?

Science, nor anything else, will ever kill religion.

People wants to believe.

Fear not that the tyrants shall rule forever
Or the priests of the bloody faith
They stand at the brink of a mighty river
Whose waves they have tainted with death

It is fed from the depths of a thousand dells
Around them it foams and rages and swells
And their swords and their sceptres floating I see
Like wrecks on the surge of eternity

Shelley wrote that about 200 years ago. I have had it memorized for over 50 years. Yet it persists.

Yes, people wants to believe.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 06:14 AM   #73
dann
Philosopher

I guess most unbelievers tended to shut up about it. I know that I wouldn't have proclaimed my disbelief under those circumstances. But some were brave or foolish enough to be frank about it: Atheism for Dummies (for European examples go to p. 89).
Old 9th September 2019, 12:12 AM   #74
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Splitter!
We all know the only real one is Atheist League Interntional (ALI). Just noticed your subscription has not come in...
Old 12th September 2019, 02:42 AM   #75
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

But science is advancing and religion retreating. Science will chase religion down and maybe not slaughter it, but at the least neuter it... eventually.
I'm one of those rare optimistic atheists.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy