ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2019, 03:10 AM   #1
dann
Philosopher

Wingardium Leviosa!

According to this article in Danish, a Catholic school in Nashville followed the advice of an exorcist and removed Harry Potter books "because they contain real curses and spells": Harry Potter-bøger fjernet fra katolsk skole efter råd fra eksorcist

Harry Potter books removed from school library in Nashville (Independent, Sep. 1, 2019)
Harry Potter books removed from Catholic school 'on exorcists' advice' (Guardian, Sep. 2, 2019)
Nashville school removes Harry Potter books on the advice of exorcists (NME, Sep. 2, 2019)
Exorcists Convinced a Catholic School to Toss Their Harry Potter Books So Kids Can't Summon Demons (Jezebel, Sep. 2, 2019)

ETA: This could also be in Education or in Religion and Philosophy.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 3rd September 2019 at 03:21 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 03:17 AM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville. Children up to ~13.

Originally Posted by Fr. Dan Reehil
These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.
Religion, rotting the brain since prehistory.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 03:44 AM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

And he KNOWS what real curses and spells are! Just ask him!

When he stops crossing his eyes and barking...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville. Children up to ~13.

Religion, rotting the brain since prehistory.
I never realized Nashville was so close to Florida.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 05:48 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'll never understand this sort of thinking. Doesn't he realize that if someone could actually do real supernatural things he could win a billion converts to his religion by demonstrating it?

Reminds me of the people on Buffy who don't become believing Christians after they witness crosses and holy water performing observable magic functions.
Old 4th September 2019, 06:30 AM   #6
GraculusTheGreenBird
Thinker

Levio-suh, not levio-sar!

</Hermione>

Last edited by GraculusTheGreenBird; 4th September 2019 at 06:32 AM.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 07:51 AM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'll never understand this sort of thinking. Doesn't he realize that if someone could actually do real supernatural things he could win a billion converts to his religion by demonstrating it?

He already believes that Harry Potter magic is real, which is a pretty clear sign that you should probably lower your expectations of his mental faculties ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 09:48 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He already believes that Harry Potter magic is real, which is a pretty clear sign that you should probably lower your expectations of his mental faculties ...
He probably should try "accio critical thinking!" and see what happens.
Old 4th September 2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Years ago, when fresh Harry Potter books were still eagerly awaited, a group of our Irish friends living in England were discussing the ban on Harry Potter books by their local Catholic school (which their kids all attended) on the grounds that it promoted witchcraft.

I ventured "My first thought would be that my kids are being taught by people who believe in witches". Well, that was an awkward silence, during which I could sense cans of worms being opened.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:55 AM   #10
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

Reminds me of the people on Buffy who don't become believing Christians after they witness crosses and holy water performing observable magic functions.
Bah, that doesn't prove Christianity. It could just as well be demons responsible. No reason that demons can't use crosses or holy water.

It reminds me of a guy that used to post in alt.atheism named Wen King Su, who tended to follow up claims about miracles and such with, "How do you know it was God who did it and not some powerful deceiver?"

There was never an answer to it.

And just to add, in terms of Harry Potter and "real spells," the only answer is "I wish." Although we have had the discussion here about the problems that would happen if something like polyjuice potion was real. On one hand, there would an AWESOME (likely underground) market available for selling celebrity hair. "Want to have sex with Angelina Jolie? Get yourself polyjuice potion and buy one of her hairs for only $300!!!!!"

Unfortunately, there is a very, very potential dark side, in criminal activity. Who robbed the bank? Doesn't matter what they looked like, or what fingerprints they left....
Old 6th September 2019, 07:19 AM   #11
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post

I've seen people who think David Copperfield has made a pact with the Devil and uses actual supernatural powers in his act, so nothing really surprises me in that area.

A number of years ago, my young niece had one of the Harry Potter books on her Christmas list. My mother looked at it and just said "Uh oh." I had grown up hearing her sometimes worry about how Dungeons & Dragons was "teaching me about monsters and spells", so I realized I was on the edge of a mine field and ignored it.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:19 AM   #12
Apathia
Philosopher

So all those spells and charms really work?
But you need a magic wand, don't you.
And that's what really disturbs this Catholic school,
The Hitachi magic wand!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #13
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Unfortunately, there is a very, very potential dark side, in criminal activity. Who robbed the bank? Doesn't matter what they looked like, or what fingerprints they left....

There was an issue of the Astro City comic book in which a defense attorney successfully defended a mobster against a murder charge with multiple eye witnesses and security camera footage by citing the various times that superheroes had been accused of crimes, only for it to turn out to be shapeshifters, clones, android replicas, alternate universe counterparts, etc. He was horrified by the precedent he established by winning.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #14
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I've seen people who think David Copperfield has made a pact with the Devil

Are you asking for evidence?!
Old 6th September 2019, 07:39 AM   #15
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wow we got a reboot of the Harry Potter backlash before we got a reboot of Harry Potter.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 09:30 AM   #16
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
So all those spells and charms really work?
But you need a magic wand, don't you.
And that's what really disturbs this Catholic school,
The Hitachi magic wand!
And you have to pronounce it vingardium levi-ooh-sa, make the o nice and long!

(I know someone beat me to it, but I couldn't resist)
Old 6th September 2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
And you have to pronounce it vingardium levi-ooh-sa, make the o nice and long!

(I know someone beat me to it, but I couldn't resist)
Yes. And I apologize for setting up this atrocity.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy