ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags quantum mechanics

Old 11th September 2019, 08:16 PM   #481
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
jesus christ, I give up
Or, alternately, you could at least try to explain yourself properly.

Why were you saying "The back panel is not important", unless you thought that someone thought it was important?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 11th September 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:33 PM   #482
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You say that you are a code-cutter so you know that if someone comes to you with an insufficient specification then you have to go back to them and pose a series of questions to that you can gain enough clarity to design what you want.

The same thing applies here. You have an insufficient specification.

Steps 2 and 3 need a lot of clarification.

In the double slit experiment, for example an event might cause the interference pattern to disappear, or it might not depending on how that event happens. The electron colliding with the side of the slit might cause this or not depending on how the screen is set up.

So you really think that your terms "space-time enactor" or "state change" are enough for someone even get started on an equation for it? How?

When we try to ask questions to clarify this you become vague, evasive.

You need to state some clear criteria for this, even if you don't express it mathematically, you need to express it in a way that could be expressed mathematically.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 08:51 PM   #483
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

A polarizer, for example, might not even interact with photons that pass through. It interacts with photons that don't pass through, but they don't contribute to the final path.

So we have this process that can detect a polarizer in the possible paths of the particle, but this is something which may or may not interact with the particle, depending upon how the particle (which hasn't been created yet) is created.

And it will have to consider anything else in the possible paths that might interact or not interact depending on the properties of the particle yet to be created.

And there might be things that simply detect polarity without filtering any particular polarity out.

There might be things that destroy information about the polarity.

What is the criterion that is supposed to be considered about all of these things in order to make that "switch to physical" decision?

How would you expect someone to write an equation to embody that decision if you can't even answer questions about what that criterion would be?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:15 PM   #484
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

We could start simple with an example of your own choice.

A standard double slit experiment with photons and polarisers over each slit.

Have the polarisers oriented the same way and experimentally there is an interference pattern.

Turn one polariser 90% and experimentally there is no interference pattern.

Any photons that actually passed through have had no state change, they did not interact with the polarisers they have not been "acknowledged" by anything.

Give a rough overview of the criteria that the quantum field made to determine the switch to physical in the second case.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:41 PM   #485
Kid Eager
Philosopher

jesus christ, I give up
To give up, one must have first made an attempt....
Old 12th September 2019, 01:42 AM   #486
steenkh
Philosopher

I've given you the answer to the problem. You have to work back from it to get the math.
The answer is really 42. You have to work back from it to get the math.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:15 AM   #487
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

jesus christ, I give up
Bravo!

This is the best posting from you that I have ever seen.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:35 AM   #488
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post

Turn one polariser 90% and experimentally there is no interference pattern.

Percent? 90 Degrees!
Old 12th September 2019, 05:02 AM   #489
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I don't think there should be a speed limit on unobserved light. Observed light has a speed limit due to spacetime.
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:17 AM   #490
steenkh
Philosopher

I don't think there should be a speed limit on unobserved light. Observed light has a speed limit due to spacetime.
What exactly are you claiming that physics has got wrong that your ideas could correct?

I can only see that you have philosophical issues with existing theories, and in you want the world to operate like normal, except that you introduce one or more sentient beings to correct the philosophical issue.

It seems to me that Occam's Razor would cut away your additions, and the world would never know.

Well, Robin has devised an experiment that could decide if you are right, but we know this is not essential to you, and that if this was ever tried, you would just dismiss it anyway.

--
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:58 AM   #491
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

What's wrong is that the two realms are not properly acknowledged. My ideas can give us a theory of everything.
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:27 AM   #492
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Not only has the OP failed to kill duality, they didn't even get duality worried.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 06:31 AM   #493
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Duality is a wrong assumption of how reality works by not realizing the final panel doesn't count.

The state only swaps at its birth. ..or when multiple detectors are involved

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 06:38 AM   #494
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The only thing that's more dead-in-the-water than your "theory" is The Titanic.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:00 AM   #495
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Not only has the OP failed to kill duality, they didn't even get duality worried.
Duality, not drowming. Waving.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:03 AM   #496
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The problem I answered is "Where is the bridge between large and small?"
Yeah, but it was a wrong answer, based on a misunderstanding of the diffraction limit.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:05 AM   #497
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

It's becoming increasingly more frustrating trying to get through to you numbskulls. Just pretend I could be right for one minute and then later tell me I'm not on to something. I don't think that will happen.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:07 AM   #498
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yeah, but it was a wrong answer, based on a misunderstanding of the diffraction limit.
I don't care if the diffraction limit can change in certain situations. All I care about is the width of a virus. Abbes diffraction is not necessary for my theory.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:21 AM   #499
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

It's becoming increasingly more frustrating trying to get through to you numb-sculls. Just pretend I could be right for one minute and then later tell me I'm not on to something. I don't think that will happen.
You do more than enough pretending for everyone.

Old 12th September 2019, 07:30 AM   #500
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I do like to pretend you aren't here.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:32 AM   #501
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I do like to pretend you aren't here.
I'm sure most folks caught out pretending feel the same way about the folks they can't ********.

Old 12th September 2019, 07:54 AM   #502
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't care if the diffraction limit can change in certain situations. All I care about is the width of a virus. Abbes diffraction is not necessary for my theory.
The diffraction limit sure seemed important to your theory when you were talking about the nice round number at ~0.3 micrometers.

The diffraction limit changes in every situation, though. There are as many diffraction limits as there are wavelength-aperture combinations. That nice round number you get at ~0.3 micrometers is one of a vast number of diffraction limits.

And what does the width of a virus have to do with anything? (Other than the fact that a virus is a classical structure observed at classical scales.)
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:59 AM   #503
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

A virus width is the line where the object can not go into superposition. Spacetime claims it as its own. No swapping between realms is going to occur.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:11 AM   #504
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody tell Schrodinger.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:14 AM   #505
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

We are entering the Age of the Realms
Old 12th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #506
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

We are entering the Age of the Realms
But unfortunately for you, you're stuck in the river of denial floating on a boat of delusion.

Old 12th September 2019, 08:19 AM   #507
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I'm here because I want told why I'm wrong ..not Dad jokes
Old 12th September 2019, 08:22 AM   #508
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
Old 12th September 2019, 08:27 AM   #509
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I already said uncertainty and duality could falsify ..but I killed them for trying.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:31 AM   #510
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

No. Chock up another lie on the tote board.

An individual looking for help in good faith doesn't start out with an assertion, they start out with questions.

You did no such thing.

IMO you're looking for validation. The fact you can't even mount a scientific argument for your "theory" (really mere opinion) without being led by the hand of another poster speaks volumes.

Old 12th September 2019, 08:34 AM   #511
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I already said uncertainty and duality could falsify ..but I killed them for trying.
Are you a graduate of the Donald Trump school of science and deluded assertion?

You just doubled down on your failed "theory."

Old 12th September 2019, 08:48 AM   #512
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Quantum physics is made of math. If you want to claim that it's wrong, you have to use math to do so. If you want to replace it with something of your own, you have to use math to do so. Until you master the math, you're just not doing quantum physics.

No need for math when you have a PhD in Cuzisayso Studies .
Old 12th September 2019, 08:58 AM   #513
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
From Liberty University?
Old 12th September 2019, 09:01 AM   #514
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Or if your "theory" is that 6 + 12 = potato, therefor god exists! prove me wrong!

Old 12th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #515
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Step 1: Present new theory
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Prophet!
Old 12th September 2019, 09:38 AM   #516
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I sacrificed two theories to a god so you could have a theory of everything.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12 & Rule 0

Last edited by kmortis; 13th September 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:43 AM   #517
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I sacrificed two theories to a god so you could have a theory of everything.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12 & Rule 0
Facts not in evidence.

Last edited by kmortis; 13th September 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:47 AM   #518
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Tell my why I haven't succeeded in killing them?
Old 12th September 2019, 09:53 AM   #519
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Tell my why I haven't succeeded in killing them?
It's the killer that must make the confession.

So, 'fess up.

Old 12th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #520
steenkh
Philosopher

What's wrong is that the two realms are not properly acknowledged.
A philosophical failing, then. Nothing actually false about existing theories; You just do not like it.

Quote:
My ideas can give us a theory of everything.
You wish! So far you have just managed to introduce a magical being. Any theory with magical beings can produce a theory of everything. It is called "God in the gap".

--

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology