IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:31 AM   #121
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Even the Mexican part of my DNA is OK with kicking out the Dreamers. The Native American part of my DNA wants all you interlopers gone and our land back. Those two parts of my DNA aren't really talking to the White part of my DNA right now . . .
I have a few drops of William the Conquerer's blood in me. It doesn't make me a Normand, nor does it give me claim to the throne of England. Somehow I get the feeling you are a white dude with a European last name.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:40 AM   #122
Worm
Illuminator

Generally I don't comment on these things, it's not my country, I have no skin in the game, but this seems like such a simple thing to me.

I don't read the article from the OP as any kind of threat, merely an acknowledgement of the inevitable. If there is no deal over DACA, then these 'dreamers' will simply leave, as opposed to going underground and living in the shadows.

"After all these years living like a regular American teenager, I will not go back into hiding."

It's no kind of threat (to my reading), more like a simple acceptance of fate.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:20 AM   #123
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Seriously, if a post ever screamed out for a rolls eyes, it was this one, hooboy.
'K

Quote:
Claims that they were threatening to leave? ESTABLISHED
As long as you believe that, who can say otherwise. You know, except for all the people who actually read the statements and see no actual threats.

Quote:
Caterwauling? Well within the stated limits of the definition, and therefore poetic license: ESTABLISHED.
Again, if you were going for poetry, fantastic. You have painted an image with your words that is very compelling, even if completely separate from the facts at hand.

Quote:
drops mic.
Timing is everything. Probably should have done that a bit sooner.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:51 AM   #124
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I have a few drops of William the Conquerer's blood in me. It doesn't make me a Normand, nor does it give me claim to the throne of England. Somehow I get the feeling you are a white dude with a European last name.

Can't that be said of quite a few "Hispanics"?

Except, I guess, that 'of Spanish descent' seems to no longer fall in either the "white" or the "European" categories for many people.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th February 2018 at 08:57 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 12:21 PM   #125
mgidm86
Philosopher

I thought I read that the DACA recipients saying they will leave (a total of one) don't necessarily need to do so right away but will anyways.

Quote:
Daniela’s DACA protections don’t expire until 2019, but she plans to leave the U.S. with her sister if Congress doesn’t act to extend her privileges before the March deadline.
It seems the "threat" if there really is one, is that the US will feel pain when the dreamers all pack up and leave at once. That's how I understand the theory.

But the articles I've read all deal with these same two women, so I don't see that this is a massive movement.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:44 PM   #126
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I thought I read that the DACA recipients saying they will leave (a total of one) don't necessarily need to do so right away but will anyways.

It seems the "threat" if there really is one, is that the US will feel pain when the dreamers all pack up and leave at once. That's how I understand the theory.

But the articles I've read all deal with these same two women, so I don't see that this is a massive movement.

Which there hasn't been, of course.

The loss of invested resources will be sad, as will the departure of a group who would likely prove to be far more patriotic and dedicated to the founding ideals of this country than any deluded Trump devotee could ever hope to be, But if the numbers I have heard are accurate, then even including all of the ones who could qualify (not just the ones who were gullible enough to register), we're still only talking about maybe one third of one percent of the over-all population of the country.

It would be hardest on any of their families who might remain in the States and the small businesses which many of them likely work for, I expect, but we all know how important families and small businesses really are to the GOP.

(Which is to say, not at all.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th February 2018 at 02:48 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:45 PM   #127
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It would be hardest on families and small businesses, I expect, but we all know how important they really are to the GOP.

(Which is to say, not at all.)
I have to disagree.

They have the same importance to the GOP as the wounded antelope has to the lioness.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:49 PM   #128
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I have to disagree.

They have the same importance to the GOP as the wounded antelope has to the lioness.

Good point.

Old 14th February 2018, 05:17 PM   #129
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Generally I don't comment on these things, it's not my country, I have no skin in the game, but this seems like such a simple thing to me.

I don't read the article from the OP as any kind of threat, merely an acknowledgement of the inevitable. If there is no deal over DACA, then these 'dreamers' will simply leave, as opposed to going underground and living in the shadows.

"After all these years living like a regular American teenager, I will not go back into hiding."

It's no kind of threat (to my reading), more like a simple acceptance of fate.
It's not your fault. You just can't see how thirsty all those dreamers are.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 05:37 PM   #130
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I have to disagree.

QFT.
Old 14th February 2018, 06:12 PM   #131
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It's not your fault. You just can't see how thirsty all those dreamers are.
Oh gosh, not "all" of them.

The ones in the article?

Thirsty.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:27 AM   #132
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

In a related note it is the white house will not comment on if Trumps Inlaws are using chain migration to get into the country. Maybe the whole thing in the state of the union was to find a way to deport his inlaws?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:42 AM   #133
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No, not the only reason, but I'd say the most probable reason in this case, based on the way the glee is expressed.
So why does that law exist, then? Because people are racist? Or because they want to vet immigrants?

I don't get why you think it's racism necessarily. Should these people who were brought here by their parents given a path to citizenship? Sure. But what if they don't take it?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 02:47 PM   #134
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Oh gosh, not "all" of them.

The ones in the article?

Thirsty.
How generous.

I guess you've let threatening and caterwauling go, but are going to now claim they are thirsty. Wise choice, really. The prior two have established meanings while the last is just ambiguous enough that you may get it to stick.

Go grab the mic, I think you can still save this one . . .

Old 20th February 2018, 03:50 PM   #135
The Big Dog

How generous.

I guess you've let threatening and caterwauling go, but are going to now claim they are thirsty. Wise choice, really. The prior two have established meanings while the last is just ambiguous enough that you may get it to stick.

Go grab the mic, I think you can still save this one . . .
Oh dear, zombie thread ahoy! Did the Drama-ers leave or something?

Threatening, caterwauling and thirsty is no way to go through life.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 05:17 PM   #136
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Ahh? You're going to stop then?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 02:51 PM   #137
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Inconceivable!

Old 23rd February 2018, 03:01 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Inconceivable!
Who cares? Most Dreamers are not White Anglo Saxons...God's true chosen people..anyhow.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:38 PM   #139
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Who cares? Most Dreamers are not White Anglo Saxons...God's true chosen people..anyhow.
Most whites are not Anglo Saxons, so a bit racist there.
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:43 PM   #140
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

More thirsty folks caterwauling.

Old 2nd March 2018, 09:14 PM   #141
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

More thirsty folks caterwauling.

That's kinda interesting.

The GOP has spent decades courting the fundi Christian vote, and doing its best to remove barriers from the involvement of religious groups in politics and government where they have traditionally existed.

The Catholic Church has twice as many members in the U.S. as the SBC, the LDS and the Church of God combined, whose respective memberships supply much if not most of the religious conservative vote they have come to depend on.

But while busily removing barriers for the fundi supporters they have counted, apparently, on more mainstream groups keeping their traditional distance from the political arena. The Law of Unintended Consequences might be fixing to bite them in the ass.

When I was growing up one of the big boogeymen used by conservatives to scare their constituency (after Commies, of course) was the Catholics, who were all suspect immigrants anyway (and probably Commies). That was one of the popular warnings used to try to beat Kennedy, that he was CATHOLIC!!!. There wasn't anything to it, of course, but it played well in the South.

If the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops were able to mobilize a significant fraction of their respective dioceses at the polling booth then it would provide a heck of a counterweight to the GOP's fundamentalist core constituency.

And all those fears could come true.

Old 18th June 2020, 08:38 PM   #142
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's bid to end Obama-era immigration policy ruled unlawful

Quote:
The US Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump's bid to end a major programme that protects young immigrants from deportation.

The justices upheld lower court rulings that found his move to rescind Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Daca) was "unlawful".

It protects "Dreamers", about 650,000 young people who entered the US without documents as children.

The Trump administration has sought to end the Obama-era policy since 2017.

The Supreme Court took up the case after lower courts ruled that the Trump administration did not adequately explain why it was ending the programme, criticising the White House's "capricious" explanations.
The decision itself:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...8-587_5ifl.pdf

They're calling it a 5-4 decision, with Roberts joining the 4 liberals in the majority.
Quote:
ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion of the Court, except as to Part IV. GINSBURG, BREYER, and KAGAN, JJ., joined that opinion in full, and SO-TOMAYOR, J., joined as to all but Part IV. SOTOMAYOR, J., filed an opinion concurring in part, concurring in the judgment in part, and dissenting in part. THOMAS, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part, in which ALITO and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. ALITO, J., and KAVANAUGH, J., filed opinions concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:44 PM   #143
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think Roberts has come to the conclusion that, come November, Trump is a goner.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics