ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags brian williams , false memories , lying charges , media bias charges , media criticism , media incidents

Old 12th February 2015, 05:19 PM   #81
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
NBC news just announced that Williams has been suspended for six months.
That's just a cover story while he leads a SEAL to take out ISIS's leadership.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2015, 01:42 PM   #82
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
WOW. So there is a recent thread where a poster said his friend was picked up and tossed into a fire, and then pulled out. He was told that his memory has changed over time, and the traumatic event he remembers did not happen the way he remembers. Now Brian Wilson has what appears to be a similar memory lapse, and he is a total liar, cannot be trusted, should be fired, career ended...
I suppose if his story was supernatural, he could be forgiven.
Why are you bringing Brian Wilson into this? This has nothing to do with the Beach Boys. Brian Williams is the journalist in question who has made a fool of himself. Not good vibrations.
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Even the ex-first lady stepped in it with her Bosnian sniper fire story.
Yep.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2015, 02:56 PM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
He is supposed to be a journalist. If he can't get the facts right with an event he was involved in, what hope is there he reports anything correctly?
A strange way to post, provide the answer and then ask the question
Old 13th February 2015, 03:02 PM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm quite pleased with his sudden notoriety on this side of the pond as now when I ever so casually and modestly drop into the conversation that he interviewed me live on USA national news people have now heard of him!
Old 13th February 2015, 03:16 PM   #85
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm quite pleased with his sudden notoriety on this side of the pond as now when I ever so casually and modestly drop into the conversation that he interviewed me live on USA national news people have now heard of him! : )
Turns out he actually interviewed the helicopter behind you.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2015, 03:16 PM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gobsmacked at the attempts to defend Williams here.
And trying to turn this into another partisan issue is just plain stupid.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2015, 10:51 PM   #87
Bob001
Philosopher

The stories keep piling up:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bri...id=mailsignout

He's starting to remind me of that Jon Lovitz character on Saturday Night Live: "As I was telling the Pope at his private luncheon for Queen Elizabeth and Mother Teresa....."
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...agan/17wapw31p

Last edited by Bob001; 13th February 2015 at 10:55 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 04:58 AM   #88
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I'm gobsmacked at the attempts to make this a BFD.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 09:23 PM   #89
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's a BFD because Williams is paid $10 million a year to report facts as the public face of NBC News, and he has demonstrated that he can't be believed and his word can't be trusted. It also demeans people who really do put their lives on the line, as journalists or soldiers, when he falsely claims to be one of them. If Williams portrayed himself as a celebrity entertainer, nobody would care much about his claims, no different from an actor who pretends to do all his own stunts (no chance). But that's not the role Williams embraced.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 09:32 PM   #90
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
BFD because Williams is one of the most popular newscasters in the US.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 10:44 PM   #91
bit_pattern

The media hyperventilating over someone lying about being in a helicopter when they ALL marched to the drumbeat of the lies that took us into Iraq in the first place?

The complete lack self-awareness in the media is truly breathtaking
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 10:47 PM   #92
bit_pattern

You all need to watch this:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/j3...f-the-veracity

And for those of us not in the US, a poorer quality version of the same clip

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 11:08 PM   #93
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
The media hyperventilating over someone lying about being in a helicopter
No, evidently he lied about a whole slew of things, not just 'one time in a helicopter'.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2015, 11:12 PM   #94
bit_pattern

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No, evidently he lied about a whole slew of things, not just 'one time in a helicopter'.
None of which even come close to the lies told by the media to get us into Iraq in the first place
Old 14th February 2015, 11:22 PM   #95
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Yeah, umm... the media reported that certain statements had been made and documents released by the US government. Blaming the messenger?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2015, 12:02 AM   #96
Jrrarglblarg

I don't recall Williams' testimony before the UN. Care to refresh me?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2015, 01:41 AM   #97
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's a BFD because Williams is paid $10 million a year to report facts as the public face of NBC News, and he has demonstrated that he can't be believed and his word can't be trusted. It also demeans people who really do put their lives on the line, as journalists or soldiers, when he falsely claims to be one of them. If Williams portrayed himself as a celebrity entertainer, nobody would care much about his claims, no different from an actor who pretends to do all his own stunts (no chance). But that's not the role Williams embraced.
BFD because Williams is one of the most popular newscasters in the US.
Well then, he damaged NBC News's reputation, assuming they had one, but that's about all.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2015, 05:10 AM   #98
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I might have posted this before, but this is a blog post by Steven Novella, a neurologist. It seems quite possible that Williams really was confused, and not intentionally lying about what happened.

Did Williams Lie?

Quote:
Memory is a slippery thing. We know from countless psychological studies that memories can easily be fabricated, they will alter over time, and details will shift to enhance the emotional theme of the story. Further, we tend to personalize stories – over time we remember events that happened to our friends as happening to us.
Quote:
Of course, I have no idea what was in Williams’ mind, what he remembered, and if on some level he knew he was embellishing his own story. What is clear, however, is that it is very possible Williams remembered the version of the story he has recently been telling.

Williams himself calls the incorrect details a “mistake,” and report that, ““I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.” Elsewhere he says that he spent the weekend thinking he was going crazy, but reviewing his own version of events from 12 years ago plainly tells a different story than his current memory.

While I can’t know what is in his mind, given what we know about memory it is reasonable to give Williams the benefit of the doubt. It is absolutely possible, even likely, that it is his memory that has shifted over the years, in a fashion consistent with memory research.
Old 15th February 2015, 06:00 AM   #99
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
I don't recall Williams' testimony before the UN. Care to refresh me?
He told them Iraq was looking to obtain Yellow Cake, and then he stamped his shoe on the desk. Don't you remember?
Old 15th February 2015, 06:07 AM   #100
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Yellow Cake? Would that be Lemon Drizzle?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2015, 06:19 AM   #101
LorenzoValla
Muse

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I actually believe that people expect the truth. If what you say is true then the quality of journalism needs to be improved. What some people may "expect" is what the TV journalism gives them...mediocre reporting.
The public wants the sensationalism to be the truth. If they just wanted the truth, journalism wouldn't peddle sensationalism. I don't think people like Williams necessarily sit down one day and decide to lie. I think they are in the habit of distorting the truth so often that they sometimes lose sight of what the truth actually is.
LorenzoValla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2015, 10:56 AM   #102
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This thread has become one of the worst cases of people trying to showhorn in thier own agenda I have seen.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:03 AM   #103
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Will the "news" sites fire anyone for the blatant lie they put into their early coverage about Brokaw demanding his resignation, or is that the kind of lie that doesn't matter?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2015, 12:55 PM   #104
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

This thread has become one of the worst cases of people trying to showhorn in thier own agenda I have seen.
The point is that the lie Williams told regarding a personal anecdote is of no real import. But that he's being taken to task by a media that utterly failed the American public in the lead up to the Iraq War is a joke.

Just fire the guy and move on. But let's not pretend like he violated some sancrosanct journalist code of ethics to which all the other media outlets rigidly adhere.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2015, 01:25 PM   #105
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The point is that the lie Williams told regarding a personal anecdote is of no real import. But that he's being taken to task by a media that utterly failed the American public in the lead up to the Iraq War is a joke.

Just fire the guy and move on. But let's not pretend like he violated some sancrosanct journalist code of ethics to which all the other media outlets rigidly adhere.
No one expects a general or a secretary of state to tell the truth, that he was both makes it clear that nothing he said could possibly ever be true. Simple logic that.

It is like anyone actually believed that we didn't torture people, or that abu graib was a few bad apples and not general policy. the bad apple part was taking pictures of course, not the prisoner treatment.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2015, 01:59 PM   #106
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
If Brian Williams was flying at 100 knots minimum 30 minutes (low end of reported "following") behind the helicopter that got hit, then he was over 50 miles from the helicopter that actually took fire. This is the difference between being t-boned, seeing the car in front of you get t-boned, and driving past the scene of an accident where someone got t-boned an hour afterwards. Taking fire is not something that you forget - you may misremember who else was there, but not if you were. The Costanza defense won't work here.
Exactly.

This isn't an uncommon situation wrt LEO's and crime scenes - young guys especially will relate a story of being at the scene of an incident which in fact they were, but they neglect to describe their time of arrival.

I've heard some interesting stories over the years from guys that want to talk about a certain battle and when pressed the story goes from "there I was..." to "a guy told me this story..."
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events