ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fox news , media criticism

Old 26th February 2017, 08:10 AM   #41
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
The integrity of our political process is or should be the supreme concern.

In the event of challenge, the existing structure remains until the challenge is decided. Which at worst means no change from the pre-election condition.

The consequences of Obama remaining in office for a few months while the issue is litigated would have been minimal.

The consequences of turning over power to an unelected, unstable power monger we are living with right now, and they are many and terrible.

I like Obama, but I can't support this idea in the least.

It's a great way for a sitting President to assume power for an indefinite amount of time, because you're incredibly naive if you think an investigation into something as serious as external interference in an election is going to be definitively decided in "a few months".

It's stupendously short-sighted, too. Sure, it might be nice in this situation, but what happens when a President you personally dislike, say Trump himself, were to make use of this poorly defined provision? Remember: Any power you grant a President you like is also a power you give to a President you dislike.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 26th February 2017 at 08:14 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 08:41 AM   #42
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I like Obama, but I can't support this idea in the least.

It's a great way for a sitting President to assume power for an indefinite amount of time, because you're incredibly naive if you think an investigation into something as serious as external interference in an election is going to be definitively decided in "a few months".

It's stupendously short-sighted, too. Sure, it might be nice in this situation, but what happens when a President you personally dislike, say Trump himself, were to make use of this poorly defined provision? Remember: Any power you grant a President you like is also a power you give to a President you dislike.
Yes, checks and balances have been put in place to constrain the individual with the greatest concentration of power. One might argue that they need updating, but there would have to be a very good reason to increase the power of the executive.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 10:12 AM   #43
rdwight
Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That claim has been disproved, their news is just as biased as the commentary. But you'll have to take my word for it, it's off topic and I'm not going to dredge up the evidence yet again.
Why would I take your word for it? I can personally view it myself and make a decision. And I have. And it isn't as biased. If you cant accept a certain level of partisanship in news than you have no options to choose from in general.

I rarely hear anyone complaining about msnbc bias reporting. it wouldn't surprise me if the reason for that is that people actually don't see it. and if that's the case, anything right leaning would look extreme. It just isn't reality.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 10:20 AM   #44
Mumbles
Illuminator

In the event of challenge, the existing structure remains until the challenge is decided. Which at worst means no change from the pre-election condition.

The consequences of Obama remaining in office for a few months while the issue is litigated would have been minimal.

The consequences of turning over power to an unelected, unstable power monger we are living with right now, and they are many and terrible.
No, what would happen is that the presidency would, unless there's specific evidence against him, would have gone to Mike Pence. Who I hate, but at least he seems to know how to behave appropriately, and isn't babbling about fictional terrorist attacks in Europe.

The integrity of our process would be more threatened by your proposal, than by anything Russia would have done. Also, how do you get, say, all 50 states to redo elections? They won't be eager to pay for all this...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 10:26 AM   #45
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The irony of the use of the word Usurper in a thread in which the person using it wants to intentionally subvert the United States Constitution is delicious
Old 26th February 2017, 11:12 AM   #46
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Shepherd Smith and Chris Wallace are standing up to President Chump, and its great to see.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 11:31 AM   #47
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Shepherd Smith and Chris Wallace are standing up to President Chump, and its great to see.
What I really like about this is that those 2 seem absolutely sincere. This doesn't appear to be some directive from on high. I don't know if Rupert Murdoch fiddles with any day-to-day operations, or exactly how Fox vets its hires to make sure they are ideologically reliable. It's a breath of fresh air when anyone "goes rogue," and I don't think Murdoch minds. It's good for a lot of clicks.

I don't have free access to The Wall Street Journal, but I know they're not totally sucking up to Trump. The only person I consistently see doing that is Sean Hannity, who I actually dislike more than Trump.

There is a structural reason the media lean liberal, which I've talked about in other threads.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 12:28 PM   #48
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He's not a usurper.
He's a very naughty boy.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 01:16 PM   #49
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Regardless of your opinion of Fox News as a whole, both are also very good journalists, and have been for quite some time. It's FN's prime time lineup that tends to be opinion that varies from "smart but ossified" like O'Reilly, to "complete idiot" like Hannity.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 01:44 PM   #50
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What I really like about this is that those 2 seem absolutely sincere. This doesn't appear to be some directive from on high. I don't know if Rupert Murdoch fiddles with any day-to-day operations, or exactly how Fox vets its hires to make sure they are ideologically reliable. It's a breath of fresh air when anyone "goes rogue," and I don't think Murdoch minds. It's good for a lot of clicks.

I don't have free access to The Wall Street Journal, but I know they're not totally sucking up to Trump. The only person I consistently see doing that is Sean Hannity, who I actually dislike more than Trump.

There is a structural reason the media lean liberal, which I've talked about in other threads.
Fox news was more a creation of Roger Ailes than of Murdoch. Since he's gone, I suspect the employees are feeling a little more empowered.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:43 PM   #51
imodium
Thinker

Fox in the news again for making fake news again.
Turns out a guy they found to defend trump isn't exactly what he said he was.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 03:10 PM   #52
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Actually, many staff at the WSJ are upset with their kid gloves used to cover Trump, and when they complained about this to the heads of the paper, they were told to go work for CNN and MSNBC if they don't like it.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 03:34 PM   #53
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He's a very naughty boy.
And he's NOT the messiah!
Old 27th February 2017, 05:58 AM   #54
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
Fox in the news again for making fake news again.
Turns out a guy they found to defend trump isn't exactly what he said he was.
They are having all this problems with Trump calling attention to their reporting. Before he was president the claims about there being no go area's in sweden would have passed with no one spending the effort to correct it. Now they have someone with power taking their stuff seriously and suddenly they get fact checked.

This must really drive them nuts.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics