ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Huffington Post , media criticism , media incidents , Shelley Garland , South Africa incidents , South Africa issues

Old 16th April 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

An interesting controversy in the South African Huffington Post

The story as far as I can reconstruct it is this. On the 13th of April, the South African Huffington Post ran a blog post entitled "Could It Be Time To Deny White Men The Franchise?" as an opinion piece.

As might be guessed from the title the writer suggested that it might be a good idea. The story went viral and was picked up by various right-leaning pundits as might have been expected. From the quotes appearing in a Fox News article (Linked below) it would appear that the writer thought that 20 or so years would be enough to change the world for the better.

The Huffington Posts reaction has been to delete the original opinion piece and replace it with a statement to the effect that the writer faked their identity and quoting the relevant section on discrimination from the South African Constitution (Linked below, along with an Opinion piece in response to the original article that Huffington Post left up.).

I have problems with this explanation, because from the sounds of things (And I cannot read the full article.), surely it should have been the content of the article that determines whether or not it should be published, if it was as is implied the text of the apology from the Huffington Post, this opinion piece violated racial discrimination law, why was it even run.

In addition, why was the authors credentials not checked out before publication?

Quite simply, anyone who suggests that any portion of the populace be denied the vote is wrong, to argue otherwise is to quite literally spit in the face of all the various groups who have struggled over the years to get that right.

Fox News: Huffington Post blogger suggests taking away white men's right to vote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/14...t-to-vote.html

Huffington Post: White Men And The Vote: Why We Took The Blog Down

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/2017...ef=za-homepage

Huffington Post: (Ferial Haffajee): We Cannot Argue For The Disenfranchisement Of Anybody

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/2017...-a_a_22041785/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 05:56 PM   #2
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Shrugs* Manufactured outrage.

Without the actual blogpost to refer to I can't be sure but I'd wager it was probably just a common form of performance art protesting or bringing stuff to attention that went too far and/or wasn't phrased right. Cutesy poo "ironic" laws suggested/proposed with no intention of actually passing that propose preventing men from doing things as a way to call attention to inequality still in the system are not exactly new. Or it could have been pure Poe or Troll. Huff said they couldn't even verify that the blogger even existed, which yeah is kinda weird.

But yeah most likely I see this as the same logic that gave us the proposed laws against male masturbation or laws against prostate exams. They aren't to be taken seriously and some of those actually made it into the official process, even if no one was actually trying to get them passed.

No I don't particularly like this sort of... protest through legislation on a personal level, I think it mocks the system and the whole "You see it what you do to us!" style of protesting is a little too obvious and on the nose for my taste, but I won't pretend this is something it's not.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong

Last edited by JoeBentley; 16th April 2017 at 06:00 PM.
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
*Shrugs* Manufactured outrage.

Without the actual blogpost to refer to I can't be sure but I'd wager it was probably just a common form of performance art protesting or bringing stuff to attention that went too far and/or wasn't phrased right. Cutesy poo "ironic" laws suggested/proposed with no intention of actually passing that propose preventing men from doing things as a way to call attention to inequality still in the system are not exactly new. Or it could have been pure Poe or Troll. Huff said they couldn't even verify that the blogger even existed, which yeah is kinda weird.
To me that last part is the most disturbing aspect of this, surely if you receive a controversial submission (And from all indications this was exactly that.) you would check other things the author has written and the authors details. And if they don't exist, you shouldn't go to print. More to the point, there are these quotes from the Huffington Post disclaimer and opinion piece:

Quote:
In addition, we note the commentary on the content of the blog post and will submit it to the South African Press Ombudsman Joe Thloloe for his analysis of the opinion we carried.
Verashni Pillay

Quote:
Did this blog amount to hate speech and was it in violation of the code of ethics and conduct for print and online media? We are submitting it to the press ombudsman for a finding and we will publish this.
Ferial Haffajee

Which indicate that this check was not carried out beforehand.

I am also annoyed that they took down the original opinion piece, I would like to know exactly what was said, the Fox news item and the Huffington Post opinion piece both give some idea, but without the full text, there is no way of judging.

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 08:00 PM   #4
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Surely someone archived it the page?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Wildy
Adelaidean

An archive of the original article.
Old 16th April 2017, 11:50 PM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

There are so few white voters in SA anyway that their vote makes no conceivable difference to anything at all. Maybe it's because they generally vote for the DA (opposition) rather than the ruling ANC that this writer's ire was raised.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 11:52 PM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Although Poe's Law applies, my guess is that it was written by a 4Chan troll or somebody like that (said troll may even be a white male) to provoke outrage, not by somebody who seriously believes that. Especially among the internet right who already believe that this is what "leftists and SJWs" actually believe.

I remember seeing something similar in the past about how white people should go extinct. The supposed author (I checked and couldn't find any evidence that they were a real person) was given a female Jewish name and identified as a grad student in something suggestive of lefty academia (I can't recall the exact details, or find the article anymore).

So yeah, I bet it's a complete strawman created by a troll and meant to make "leftists and SJWs" look bad.
Old 17th April 2017, 02:30 AM   #8
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So yeah, I bet it's a complete strawman created by a troll and meant to make "leftists and SJWs" look bad.
It did. It showed that this particular outlet has no more publishing rigour than the Daily Mail.
Old 17th April 2017, 03:08 AM   #9
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

No help needed there
Old 17th April 2017, 03:09 AM   #10
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
It did. It showed that this particular outlet has no more publishing rigour than the Daily Mail.
It's the Huffington Post, what else did you expect?

I think the Daily Mail at least pays their "reporters". The Huffington Post relies on unpaid "contributors" for most of its content. I suppose they may have a few paid staff too. But you tend to get what you pay for. People willing to work for free generally have their own agenda and are just looking for a popular platform to spread something (their opinion or something they are selling often).
Old 17th April 2017, 05:51 AM   #11
Wildy
Adelaidean

Although Poe's Law applies, my guess is that it was written by a 4Chan troll or somebody like that (said troll may even be a white male) to provoke outrage, not by somebody who seriously believes that. Especially among the internet right who already believe that this is what "leftists and SJWs" actually believe.
Well, it would most likely be a South African troll since the article implies the idea of "white monopoly capital" that seems to be making the rounds over there.

Quote:
Which to be honest is a problem for the leftists, since it means enough stupid stuff has been said and embraced by them that people will immediately see this as real.
Old 17th April 2017, 06:03 AM   #12
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure there is a fair number of people in South Africa calling for white disenfranchisement. Why would this article be trolling?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 06:11 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Well, it would most likely be a South African troll since the article implies the idea of "white monopoly capital" that seems to be making the rounds over there.

Which to be honest is a problem for the leftists, since it means enough stupid stuff has been said and embraced by them that people will immediately see this as real.
I guess what makes it a problem for leftists is that everyone sees it as indicative of global leftism, rather than as an indication of problems in South Africa locally.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 01:39 PM   #14
mgidm86
Illuminator

It is an established fact that places without white people are virtually problem free. Africa was a thriving peaceful continent until - whatever.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:49 PM   #15
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

It's the Huffington Post, what else did you expect?

I think the Daily Mail at least pays their "reporters". The Huffington Post relies on unpaid "contributors" for most of its content. I suppose they may have a few paid staff too. But you tend to get what you pay for. People willing to work for free generally have their own agenda and are just looking for a popular platform to spread something (their opinion or something they are selling often).
But still does not remove the need to run controversial material past the legal team before running it.

Old 17th April 2017, 09:55 PM   #16
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
But still does not remove the need to run controversial material past the legal team before running it.
There's nothing illegal about the material. It's someone with a controversial opinion. Whether it's actually "journalism" is the only question, and does HuffPo just give over their blogging space to any old person with no credentials and a weird opinion to espouse.

The "legal department" has nothing to say. It's an editorial/management decision. It's not reporting of facts, it's espousing an opinion. The NY Times publishes opinion pieces all the time. They have a certain standard for who they allow that podium, though. The HuffPo error, if there is one, was in not vetting the individual who they were affording their bully pulpit.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events