ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cnn , media criticism , media incidents

Old 14th August 2017, 06:20 PM   #1681
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
why did he extort him like the scum weasels at cnn?
That was my reading of xjx388's post. The implication of those ellipses was quite chilling.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:03 AM   #1682
d4m10n
Master Poster

What is it with Trump and his fanboys hating on CNN anyhow?

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th August 2017 at 07:04 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:08 AM   #1683
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
What is it with Trump and his fanboys hating on CNN anyhow?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...165ac5e791.jpg
They're Nazis.

Quote:
On Tuesday morning, President Trump retweeted an image of “the Trump Train” striking a CNN journalist. He shared the image with his 36 million followers three days after an alleged neo-Nazi sympathizer ran over a woman during a white supremacist rally in Virginia, killing her.

Trump later undid his retweet, but the damage was done. Further, the account he promoted — @SLandinSoCal — has repeatedly posted racist content, including anti-Semitic propaganda from David Duke’s website:

The account has also amplified the racist birther conspiracy theory:
He has to walk back his condemnation of white nationalists and associated groups somehow.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:09 AM   #1684
Argumemnon
World Maker

Wow, I'm shocked that Trump retweeted stuff from racist sources. I mean, he's not racist, right, so, that's surprising.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:26 AM   #1685
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Wow, I'm shocked that Trump retweeted stuff from racist sources. I mean, he's not racist, right, so, that's surprising.
I've been assured by people in this thread that Trump gets all sorts of stuff like this sent to him all the time and that he's probably not aware of the sources.

Who among us hasn't retweeted something from racists and white supremacists five or six times unknowingly and totally by accident?

Last edited by johnny karate; 15th August 2017 at 07:28 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:35 AM   #1686
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
They're Nazis.

He has to walk back his condemnation of white nationalists and associated groups somehow.
The text you quoted misrepresents the cartoon. It says that the cartoon represents the Trump train striking the CNN guy, but it's clear that the CNN guy is trying unsuccessfully to hold back the train (consistent with the text of the tweet). He hasn't been struck by it.

A minor point, but that fact makes the comparison to Charlottesville much less apt.

Of course, the rest of the criticism about retweeting a reprehensible source stands, but the cartoon itself is not so offensive (aside from the usual: Trump and supporters love to cast the free media as the enemy).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 07:46 AM   #1687
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The Indy Star posts a picture of the Trump Train striking and killing the Democratic Party!

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinio...rain/96534086/

They are teh Nazis or something!
Old 15th August 2017, 09:39 AM   #1688
johnny karate

The Indy Star posts a picture of the Trump Train striking and killing the Democratic Party!

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinio...rain/96534086/

They are teh Nazis or something!
I'm sure you were already aware of the distinction, but I'll make it for you anyway: The cartoon itself has nothing to do with Nazis and white supremacists, it's the Twitter account where Trump found it that does.
Old 15th August 2017, 09:43 AM   #1689
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th August 2017 at 09:46 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 09:47 AM   #1690
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I'm sure you were already aware of the distinction, but I'll make it for you anyway: The cartoon itself has nothing to do with Nazis and white supremacists, it's the Twitter account where Trump found it that does.
I was referring to the laughable claim that the train was "striking" or "murdering" CNN.

#FAKENEWS
Old 15th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #1691
johnny karate

I was referring to the laughable claim that the train was "striking" or "murdering" CNN.

#FAKENEWS
Oh okay, so you have no response to the issue of the president retweeting racists and white supremacists, presumably because you're perfectly okay with that.
Old 15th August 2017, 12:05 PM   #1692
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

#FAKENEWS
Yes, you keep posting fake news. Why is that?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 03:48 PM   #1693
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
That was my reading of xjx388's post. The implication of those ellipses was quite chilling.
d4m10n has revealed that he knows who HAS is. Can't tell you if he's extorted him since he didn't make a public statement like CNN did.

For the record I don't know or care who he is.
Old 15th August 2017, 04:16 PM   #1694
phiwum
Philosopher

Is it bad if I point out that that is a totally awesome train engine? Right, scrub out the Nazi insignia, totally agree there, but that's a really badass engine underneath that paint.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 04:19 PM   #1695
phiwum
Philosopher

#FAKENEWS
You do realize that this isn't twitter and hashtags have no particular point here?

Aside from that, I agree. The image isn't a train striking CNN. It is an image of a man (donkey/news network) trying to stop a train. Comparing it to Charlottesville is going too far.

That said, the fact that the source is yet another racist on Twitter is newsworthy.
Old 15th August 2017, 06:41 PM   #1696
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Is it bad if I point out that that is a totally awesome train engine? Right, scrub out the Nazi insignia, totally agree there, but that's a really badass engine underneath that paint.
German scientists and engineers have a well-deserved reputation, to this day.
Old 15th August 2017, 06:56 PM   #1697
phiwum
Philosopher

German scientists and engineers have a well-deserved reputation, to this day.
To be fair, I was reacting only to the looks of the engine and not its efficiency, power or anything else that matters.
Old 16th August 2017, 01:08 PM   #1698
d4m10n
Master Poster

OMG more doxing from the MSM

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/...9b773bbf0.html
Old 17th August 2017, 09:15 PM   #1699
d4m10n
Master Poster

EVEN MOAR DOXING

http://www.thelcn.com/lcn01/antifasc...rcher-20170817
Old 18th August 2017, 05:30 AM   #1700
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Good on the anti-fascists. Get those names out there. They'll soon learn that normal people don't particularly like Nazis.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:56 AM   #1701
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

8th Cir.: An apology is a "thing of value" under federal extortion law.

http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/17/08/163778P.pdf

Just what CNN extorted out of the doxxee here.

lock em up
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:00 AM   #1702
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

lock em up
Why do you oppose freedom of speech?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:18 AM   #1703
d4m10n
Master Poster

lock em up
HAS apology posted to Reddit prior to speaking with KFILE. You are doing positing precrime.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics