ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism

Old 10th July 2017, 04:22 AM   #641
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You're anti-media propaganda post isn't very convincing. Hash-tagging your posts with lugenpress is appropriate, that way people can quickly see what you're about.
It's interesting how over a decade "I hate the corporate m$m!" Has now become "disagree with the mainstream media and you are an alt righter!". I guess Corbyn is a deranged old Maoist by that logic because the British mainstream press are the true beacons of reason.

All across the developed world trust in media is hitting rock bottom and you can only blame Goldstein for so long before you can take a good long look at yourself

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 10th July 2017 at 04:23 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 04:26 AM   #642
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
It's interesting how over a decade "I hate the corporate m$m!" Has now become "disagree with the mainstream media and you are an alt righter!". I guess Corbyn is a deranged old Maoist by that logic because the British mainstream press are the true beacons of reason.

All across the developed world trust in media is hitting rock bottom and you can only blame Goldstein for so long before you can take a good long look at yourself
You forgot to add "#lugenpress" to your post.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 04:47 AM   #643
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Further, she was following the correct protocol for these situations. The protocol is that she is supposed to shake melania's hand first.

Well, I'd prefer Melania to take me into her hand before The Donald did, too.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:14 AM   #644
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
So no hope for you actually answering the question?

It is fake news after all, which is the thread title. Why does the head of the RNC get a pass for blatantly lying?
Now that we're a page away from the question you refuse to answer, care to give it a try again, TBD?

We all know the pattern by now. Get asked a tough question that you know will make your team look stupid, so you ignore it and hope we forget when the page changes.

Or you could try honesty for a split second and answer it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:17 AM   #645
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Now that we're a page away from the question you refuse to answer, care to give it a try again, TBD?

We all know the pattern by now. Get asked a tough question that you know will make your team look stupid, so you ignore it and hope we forget when the page changes.

Or you could try honesty for a split second and answer it.
you talking to me? You asked me a question? you in the right thread??
Old 10th July 2017, 08:17 AM   #646
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
you talking to me? You asked me a question? you in the right thread??
Yes, Yes and Yes. You even quoted it on the first page before you bailed on actually answering it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:20 AM   #647
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But Mainstream Media is the true beacon of civic virtue and anyone who disagrees is a Russian Shill!
Hyperbole and straw, a toofur.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:21 AM   #648
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

?

Senseless post makes no sense.
It is a quote from a movie called "Dodge Ball," which is a fantastic analysis of your arguments in this thread.

It is fine, we get it.
Yes, Yes and Yes. You even quoted it on the first page before you bailed on actually answering it.
Uh, no idea what you are talking about.
Old 10th July 2017, 08:27 AM   #649
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"Fake News" is nothing compared to how horrible mainstream press can get, especially when they can distort truth to a degree that is barely better than "fake news". See Maddow with the Tax Returns ....
You think poorly done promotion of a story amounts to fake news?

And that's the best example you can come up with?

Fox News examples of fake news
Quote:
NEWT GINGRICH
Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich "apparently was assassinated at 4 in the morning, having given WikiLeaks something like 53,000 emails and 17,000 attachments. ... It turns out, it wasn’t the Russians."
— PunditFact on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017

SEAN HANNITY
"The president said he’s going to bring in 250,000 (Syrian and Iraqi) refugees into this country."
— PunditFact on Monday, October 26th, 2015

ERIC BOLLING
"In countries where there are higher, more strict gun laws, there is more gun violence."
— PunditFact on Tuesday, September 1st, 2015

SANDRA SMITH
"Almost 95 percent of all (Planned Parenthood) pregnancy services were abortions."
— PunditFact on Tuesday, August 4th, 2015
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:30 AM   #650
NoahFence
Suspended

Uh, no idea what you are talking about.
You're being dishonest.

Why?

You've already quoted the question that I asked in the previous page. Now you've put all my posts into a comment, all except the one I'm talking about. The one that has a question you're too *********** to answer.

Don't bother going back. As usual you're making the thread about you. It's not.

moving on....

Last edited by NoahFence; 10th July 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:09 AM   #651
NoahFence
Suspended

Watching meet the press, and the moron head of the RNC is on.
Why do they keep letting her get away with saying that democrats "need to work with republicans" on the healthcare bill?

The VAST majority of republicans and no democrats were even allowed to participate! Blatant lying and they let her off the hook.
Anyone?

I'll even highlight it for some of the textually challenged.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:21 AM   #652
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone?

I'll even highlight it for some of the textually challenged.
That was the question you wanted us to answer? Based on you watching the "moron head of the RNC" on meet the press?

You might want to look up the concept of loaded question next time.

But I am happy to field this:

She didn't say it.

#fakenews
Old 10th July 2017, 09:30 AM   #653
NoahFence
Suspended

That was the question you wanted us to answer? Based on you watching the "moron head of the RNC" on meet the press?

You might want to look up the concept of loaded question next time.

But I am happy to field this:

She didn't say it.

#fakenews
Come on.

Isn't there ONE single conservative out there that is capable of an adult conversation?? It's not a loaded question. I want to know why she gets away with such a blatant lie. It's OK to say "I don't know".

And why would YOU feel the need to lie and say "she didn't say it" when clearly she did. I was watching it as it happened.

We're not going to get anywhere with every *********** person lying. Is that the country you want? Is that the country YOU envision as being made to be great again? Is this what you want?
Old 10th July 2017, 09:35 AM   #654
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Come on.

Isn't there ONE single conservative out there that is capable of an adult conversation?? It's not a loaded question. I want to know why she gets away with such a blatant lie. It's OK to say "I don't know".

And why would YOU feel the need to lie and say "she didn't say it" when clearly she did. I was watching it as it happened.

We're not going to get anywhere with every *********** person lying. Is that the country you want? Is that the country YOU envision as being made to be great again? Is this what you want?
I have yesterday's meet the press transcript open in another tab, I will repeat:

she didn't say it.

wanna try again?

Why don't you read the transcript, and ask a reasonable question, because right now we are wallowing in FAKE NEWS.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:45 AM   #655
NoahFence
Suspended

Ah. So it's nitpicky word semantics then. Gotcha.

Quote:
RONNA MCDANIEL: Let me step in really quick, because if you’re concerned about health. I think health insurance is one thing, but right now you have health insurance costs that are doubling, you have deductibles that are so high and you have insurers pulling out of the market place. But, that’s not health care. Okay? So, Obamacare didn’t get people health care, it got them higher and higher health insurance that they can’t access health care with. And, so we have to find a way. And, you know what, Republicans are sitting at the table and we’re saying “Democrats come over, talk with us. You put this in place, be part of the solution, it’s failing.”
The highlighted is a blatant lie. The vast majority of republicans and zero democrats were asked to be involved in the secret crafting of the bill. She's lying.

Quote:
(RNC Chair)
RONNA McDANIEL:Then where are you? Then where are you right now? Their democrats are sitting on their hands. They’re watching this thing that they’ve crafted collapse and they’re saying, ‘we’re not coming to the table,’ but I’ll…
apology accepted.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:53 AM   #656
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ah. So it's nitpicky word semantics then. Gotcha.

The highlighted is a blatant lie. The vast majority of republicans and zero democrats were asked to be involved in the secret crafting of the bill. She's lying.

apology accepted.
Excellent! You misrepresented what she said. Next the Bill has been public for weeks, and the statement was that the Republicans ARE sitting at the table, present tense. "Then where are you right now?"

Next, your question was, and I quote:

"Why do they keep letting her get away with saying that democrats "need to work with republicans" on the healthcare bill?"

Who is they? She was speaking to the show's moderator and the head of the DNC, are you now saying that the head of the DNC was "letting her get away" with something?? That would be amazing! In fact Chuck Todd said that he wanted to follow up, and the moron head of the DNC CUTS HIM OFF!

You did not think I would actually pull up the transcript and systematically destroy your claims, now did you?

Last edited by The Big Dog; 10th July 2017 at 09:54 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 10:05 AM   #657
NoahFence
Suspended

Too bad it was the same line of questioning from her that every republican made since they unveiled this thing.

She lied and you either got fooled, or you lie along with her.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:12 AM   #658
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Too bad it was the same line of questioning from her that every republican made since they unveiled this thing.

She lied and you either got fooled, or you lie along with her.
Well someone lied, and it was not me or her.

#fakenews indeed....
Old 10th July 2017, 10:22 AM   #659
NoahFence
Suspended

"I know you are, but what am I"

Man. Didn't see THAT coming.
Old 10th July 2017, 04:50 PM   #660
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
You mean Slate, the outspokenly liberal website, has staffers that vote primarily for the Democrats? Next you'll tell me Fox staffers vote primarily for the GOP.
Early on I thought of Slate as pretty much like the New Republic (which original Slate head editor Michael Kinsley had previously helmed). Maybe it's because they also published Hitchens and Mickey Kaus. Nowadays, I agree it's more liberal (and you can see that in the voting), but it's not as liberal as say Mother Jones or the Nation, where you would expect everybody to be voting Democrat or Green.

Quote:
What has this got to do with the claim that the "media" being biased towards the Democrats being disproven? Right now, the media has a crosshair trigger when it comes to things Trump.
And boy, they were just as eager when it came to Obama, huh? I mean, the media was just salivating to take him down, and not by anything as tame as the electoral college. But you know, the guy was just too damn perfect; and it was as if he had the perfect touch; everybody around him turned almost as perfect.

Quote:
The reason isn't just that Trump has declared war on the media as a whole (notably excepting far right outlets like Fox and Breitbart), but also that most people don't like Trump and want to hear bad things about him.
True in some ways, less true in others. I don't buy that most people don't like Trump. Do I buy that there are a lot of people who don't like Trump? Of course, it would be silly to contend otherwise. And you are 100% on the money when you point out that a lot of people want to hear bad things about him, and that this drives some excellent ratings.

Here's a little challenge I will gladly play with you or any other participant in a dedicated thread on media bias. You are to come up with examples of obscure Democratic lawmakers (defined later) being mentioned in mainstream media sources (also defined later) as making a controversial comment. I will come up with examples of obscure Republican lawmakers being mentioned in those same mainstream media sources as saying or doing something stupid.

Definition of obscure: US Representatives other than Nancy Pelosi and Paul Ryan (not obscure), anybody at the state level and anybody at any city or county level.

Mainstream media sources: Any of the major networks (either broadcast or website)--ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FoxNews--or the New York Times, or Washington Post (again, print, or website).

I am confident there will be a lot fewer cases of the mainstream media covering obscure Democrats and the silly things they say, than there are of comparable pieces on obscure members of the GOP, because when a little-known Republican says or does something stupid, it's news because he's a Republican. When a little-known Democrat says or does something stupid it's not news because he's little-known.

Last edited by Brainster; 10th July 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 06:02 PM   #661
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
<snip>
I am confident there will be a lot fewer cases of the mainstream media covering obscure Democrats and the silly things they say, than there are of comparable pieces on obscure members of the GOP, because when a little-known Republican says or does something stupid, it's news because he's a Republican. When a little-known Democrat says or does something stupid it's not news because he's little-known.

It could also be because more Republicans say stupid things.

It appeals to their base, so who can blame them?
Old 10th July 2017, 06:16 PM   #662
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Early on I thought of Slate as pretty much like the New Republic (which original Slate head editor Michael Kinsley had previously helmed). Maybe it's because they also published Hitchens and Mickey Kaus. Nowadays, I agree it's more liberal (and you can see that in the voting), but it's not as liberal as say Mother Jones or the Nation, where you would expect everybody to be voting Democrat or Green.

And boy, they were just as eager when it came to Obama, huh? I mean, the media was just salivating to take him down, and not by anything as tame as the electoral college. But you know, the guy was just too damn perfect; and it was as if he had the perfect touch; everybody around him turned almost as perfect.
So it hasn't crossed your mind maybe there weren't any equivalent Obama scandals to report on?

True in some ways, less true in others. I don't buy that most people don't like Trump. Do I buy that there are a lot of people who don't like Trump? Of course, it would be silly to contend otherwise. And you are 100% on the money when you point out that a lot of people want to hear bad things about him, and that this drives some excellent ratings.
Got any evidence of all these people who like Trump that are not being counted? Are you including children?

Here's a little challenge I will gladly play with you or any other participant in a dedicated thread on media bias. You are to come up with examples of obscure Democratic lawmakers (defined later) being mentioned in mainstream media sources (also defined later) as making a controversial comment. I will come up with examples of obscure Republican lawmakers being mentioned in those same mainstream media sources as saying or doing something stupid.

Definition of obscure: US Representatives other than Nancy Pelosi and Paul Ryan (not obscure), anybody at the state level and anybody at any city or county level.

Mainstream media sources: Any of the major networks (either broadcast or website)--ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FoxNews--or the New York Times, or Washington Post (again, print, or website).

You do know these lawmakers ask to be on these pundit panels, right?

Your perception of the media here is not supportable with facts. If a federal lawmaker is on the news, that is not an obscure person, it's a friggin Senator or Congressperson.
Old 11th July 2017, 03:56 AM   #663
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It really didn't occur to you that the reason that fewer Democrats saying stupid things are in the media is because Democrats say fewer stupid things than Republicans?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 07:20 PM   #664
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes (Snopes!! ) has a good article about this:

http://www.snopes.com/2017/07/12/trump-lies/
Old 12th July 2017, 08:03 PM   #665
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It really didn't occur to you that the reason that fewer Democrats saying stupid things are in the media is because Democrats say fewer stupid things than Republicans?

Nancy Pelosi. This wasn't addressed to me, but really we could go round and round here. I'd love to see Pelosi and Palin debate just about any topic for a good laugh.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 02:27 AM   #666
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Nancy Pelosi. This wasn't addressed to me, but really we could go round and round here. I'd love to see Pelosi and Palin debate just about any topic for a good laugh.
How many of her stupid utterances weren't reported by the media?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 08:47 AM   #667
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Me too, but only because of a possibly reprehensible expectation of seeing Palin eviscerated.

It isn't unlike making fun of the handicapped. Pelosi would be engaged in a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

Of course, Palin would probably quit half way through.
Old 16th July 2017, 01:57 AM   #668
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

The bigger issue is that trust in media, ALL mainstream media, has collapsed utterly over the past 15 years. You can't just stamp your feet and go "MAINSTREAM MEDIA TELLS THE TRUTH ANYTHING THAT DISAGREES IS RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA!", you are going to have to take a good long hard look at yourself and ask why people stopped listening to you.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:01 AM   #669
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The bigger issue is that trust in media, ALL mainstream media, has collapsed utterly over the past 15 years. You can't just stamp your feet and go "MAINSTREAM MEDIA TELLS THE TRUTH ANYTHING THAT DISAGREES IS RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA!", you are going to have to take a good long hard look at yourself and ask why people stopped listening to you.
Who is the "you" in this case?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 01:33 AM   #670
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Who is the "you" in this case?
The people who still think "mainstream media is the true beacon of facts and knowledge!"
Old 18th July 2017, 02:11 AM   #671
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The people who still think "mainstream media is the true beacon of facts and knowledge!"
As opposed to Breitbart or WND ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 05:50 AM   #672
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As opposed to Breitbart or WND ?
That's my point: The media has squandered so much trust with **** like this that people are willing to go to those sites in the first place. doubling down and going "The Media is the only true source and anyone who disagrees is fake news!" glosses over a lot of terrible conduct by the mainstream media.

That said, it's interesting how "**** the M$M!" 10 years ago became "We've always believed the media are factually accurate and beacons of civic virtue!" Even of mainstream media websites guilt trip people into downloading malware like forbes or demand you pay through the nose.

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 31st July 2017 at 06:10 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 07:55 AM   #673
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I would temporarily like to turn away from the current discussion of inaccurate or biased news (and the "well your side is worse than mine" debate) to what I see as truly "fake news" - false news stories created intentionally. The future in this regard looks particularly terrifying. I just listened to a podcast of Radio Lab on NPR discussing recently developed technology that will make the assembly of absolutely convincing fake videos widely accessible to virtually anyone.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/breaking-news/

One technology developed by Adobe, , here now though not yet sold commercially, allows one to sample almost any recording of an individual's voice for 20 or 40 mins, then type whatever dialog you wish, and that dialog will be spoken in that person's voice in an absolutely convincing manner. The person need not have ever said the words you put in their mouth- the software constructs new words from its analysis of sub parts of their speech. They need never have cooperated- most any recording will do for the sampling.

Another technology, also here now in academic labs, uses motion capture of a one person's face to superimpose their facial gestures (smiles, grimaces, eye movements, lip synch, etc) on a recording of another person's face. In essence the second person becomes a face puppet of the first. And it works real time: we are not talking about the lengthy and expensive methods used in motion capture for Planet of the Apes.

Together one can relatively easily convert a video of George Bush promising to capture those responsible for 9-11 to a very convincing video of Bush claiming responsibility for 9-11: his voice speaking any words desired with fully synced lip movements and other appropriate facial movements.

They website provides an example. I think the technology is currently less than perfect, particularly if one is looking for imperfections, but given the progress of most technology, can one doubt that in just a few years it will be nearly seamless? And remember that the video software is so far the product of a relatively modestly funded academic lab. Imagine once it becomes commercialized by a company with significant resources!

The podcast also discusses how readily these digital fakes could be shown to be fakes. Apparently it could be done, but it would take significant time and expense. In practice many fakes could be created and distributed in social media far beyond the ability to cach up to them with proof they are fake. And would everyone believe the proof?

So welcome to the world of the near future, where seeing and hearing is not believing, any news clip can be created out of whole cloth, and conversely a real film of Donald Trump killing a Boy Scout troop with an Uzi could be plausible denied as a fake. Wonderful!

To me, the most scary part of the podcast was the interviews with the people who developed the software- they appeared to never have thought about the implications!

Last edited by Giordano; 31st July 2017 at 08:20 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics