ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media bias charges , media criticism , Syria civil war , Syria issues

Old 20th December 2016, 06:20 PM   #1
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

How much of the media do you trust re: Syria?

Seems like the main outlets like BBC,CNN,are wrong mainly on Syria.

Reporter who speaks Arabic goes to Syria 6 times and talks with the average Syrian and goes to Aleppo 4 times. What she uncovers is outright media bias against the Russians and Assad as it is proven time and again that the US led coalition has been targeting civilians time and again, preventing them from leaving Syria and also claiming hospitals bombed by the Russians were actually still in operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1VNQGsiP8M
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 06:24 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's like a rare astronomical phenomenon to see the words "Russia" and "trustworthy" appear so close together. Perhaps it'll happen again in another ten thousand years.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:03 PM   #3
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's like a rare astronomical phenomenon to see the words "Russia" and "trustworthy" appear so close together. Perhaps it'll happen again in another ten thousand years.
I'm guessing that the rest of that panel are all hacks too then in your opinion, probably Russian agents the lot of them? Yeah?
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

The media have a narrative driven by editorial slant. Thus it has ever been, suggest you do a little learning about newspapers, US, first 200 years.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post

Reporter who speaks Arabic goes to Syria 6 times and talks with the average Syrian and goes to Aleppo 4 times. What she uncovers is outright media bias against the Russians and Assad as it is proven time and again that the US led coalition has been targeting civilians time and again, preventing them from leaving Syria and also claiming hospitals bombed by the Russians were actually still in operation.

So she goes and talks to people who live in a dictatorship where information is tightly controlled and propaganda for that dictatorship is ubiquitous, and she finds that people tell her what the dictatorship would tell her, and is undoubtedly telling them... and she thinks that's reliable?

I fully expect our media to be doing a bad job of covering the conflict, because they're bad at covering everything, but I don't trust her either.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 10:15 PM   #6
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What US-Led Coalition was fighting in Aleppo?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 05:56 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

There are several media outlets I don't trust on Syria: RT, Sputnik, globalresearch.ca, Infowars...

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 06:20 AM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

You know what I heard? I heard the objective of the Russian shills wasn't to convince me of the counter-narrative, but only to sow a bit of doubt in a "teach the controversy" style.

You think that's true? You think people would actually do such a thing using the Internet as a propaganda vehicle? What happens when people realize the trick, don't they start getting a bit miffed?

I sure would. And I'm an American - trained from an early age to resist advertising and propaganda, to suspect an agenda coupled with hyperbole if not outright lies. I can live with it when it's artfully done. Ham-handed is a serious turn-off.

"Look at how they play chess. Russians understand subtlety and the long game."
"No, no they do not. The Chinese do, but Russians are like the US - we can't see past the current administration's goals. Take all that Snowden revealed about the NSA and remove the brakes - that's Russia on the Internet."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 06:54 AM   #9
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

The media is completely responsible for the narrative on Allepo.

It's well known that the images of children in various states of injury are the work of ILM, and the bombed out buildings are a Green Screen.

I mean, "they" filmed Newbury Street in Boston for "Patriots Day" - but in reality it was a soundstage on a runway in an abandoned Naval Station.

So yea. If you actually go to Allepo right now, what you'll see reminds me of what the Hanging Gardens would have looked like. Just lush beauty and hot chicks all over the place.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I sure would. And I'm an American - trained from an early age to resist advertising and propaganda, to suspect an agenda coupled with hyperbole if not outright lies. I can live with it when it's artfully done. Ham-handed is a serious turn-off.
Take care when calibrating your baloney detector. Tuning it too sensitive will mean it can't discriminate between blarney and BS, and will backfire bigly.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 10:37 AM   #11
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Take care when calibrating your baloney detector. Tuning it too sensitive will mean it can't discriminate between blarney and BS, and will backfire bigly.
Good point. I should look at more videos on that channel to get a feel for who is doing the curating. There's one on the Ukraine that looks good.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 10:21 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Alwaus tended to trust the BBC more than any others.

It has all become a bit blurred now we have this interwebby modern day wireless thingeymagig
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I trust journalistic sources that have been largely accurate in the past and that verify their stories.

I don't distrust the mainstream media just because it is mainstream.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 11:28 PM   #14
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I trust journalistic sources that have been largely accurate in the past and that verify their stories.

But you like truth. I like truth too. Is it such a stretch to think that truth has a market?

Maybe it's mainstream for the same reason we have "scientific consensus."

Last edited by marplots; 21st December 2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 21st December 2016, 11:43 PM   #15
Wayward son
Critical Thinker

Why would we even think about trusting the largely coherent documentation provided by the mainstream independent media and the major NGOs like Doctor's Without Borders, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch etc when we can instead trust a conspiracy loon (recycled victims, among many other plainly insane claims...but really her recycled victims claim alone should result in her being completely dismissed as one of the world's most unstable lunatics) who suckles at the teat of every anti-western authoritarian dictator and spreads propaganda on their government controlled propaganda channels. But hey, she went to Syria to praise a brutal murderous dictator she admires and must have got to see the reality on the ground during her government controlled tours and government controlled interactions with government approved Syrians....and no, there is no evidence that she went anywhere near Aleppo.

We don't just live in a post-fact, and post-truth age, but also a post-morality one.

Last edited by Wayward son; 21st December 2016 at 11:45 PM.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:14 AM   #16
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
We don't just live in a post-fact, and post-truth age, but also a post-morality one.
Evidence that we ever lived in an age of facts, truth, and morality?
Old 28th December 2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Evidence that we ever lived in an age of facts, truth, and morality?
Good point, but we can still promote those values.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 05:48 PM   #18
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Eva Bartlett? The one who's been hanging around David Icke?

Yeah, she's credible.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:26 PM   #19
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
If it's on YouTube, it must be true. They don't let just anyone post videos there, you know.
Old 29th December 2016, 09:46 AM   #20
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
There are several media outlets I don't trust on Syria: RT, Sputnik, globalresearch.ca, Infowars...
You can add PressTV, Debkafile, CNN, BBC, Sky News, Channel 4 news, just about every British newspaper to that list as well. (I don't access US news stations or papers regularly, but I expect it's the same)

I've never seen so much propaganda and outright lying from such numerous sources. You can add plenty of so called experts to that list too. They are all peddling the same narrative.

If you are getting the news on Syria from western MSM sources then you might as well not bother.

The best sources are those on the ground or people in contact with those that are, from all sides in the conflict. Even then you have to cross reference, because there is always a spin.

There are also other people who are interested in providing information such as the map makers who show who holds which territory. You also get people identifying areas and buildings where something controversial has taken place by analysing video and photos which can then be geolocated. There's people interested in the weapons involved in the conflict who'll identify all sorts of things so you can find out who's using what, etc, etc.

Identifying who is trustworthy and who is not takes time, but once you've got the sources then they become invaluable.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 01:17 AM   #21
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
You can add PressTV, Debkafile, CNN, BBC, Sky News, Channel 4 news, just about every British newspaper to that list as well. (I don't access US news stations or papers regularly, but I expect it's the same)
No, I can't. Well, some of them, but not all.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 05:36 AM   #22
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Good point, but we can still promote those values.
Right:

Quote:
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere

(William the Silent)
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 12:51 PM   #23
Sunstealer
Illuminator

BBC were caught out lying by using old footage from 2014, specifically Yarmouk Camp in Damascus, claiming it was from Madaya and spinning the message that civilians were starving in October 2015.

CH4 had a whole news item recently that was using footage of Harakat Nour al-Din al-Zenki, shot in Aleppo during the attempt to break into the rebel held pocket. They claimed these people were moderate rebels, but the very people they were using footage of, including an interview, were the same men who beheaded a wounded young lad whom they had captured.* What's interesting about the footage is you can clearly see the "white helmets" patch on one fighter's clothing whilst later on their leader is shouting into a radio asking for a bakery to be destroyed.

* You can find footage of that incident on the net. I would urge you to watch the uncensored version. It's particularly unpleasant seeing as they are joking with the boy before hand and when he asks if they are going to shoot him they laugh and say no. He's pinned down on the back of a pick up and then has his head cut off and then the head held aloft.

The man (Mahmoud Raslan) who videoed that crime is a member of al-Zenki and also just happened to be present when a dusty and supposedly wounded boy was taken into the back of an ambulance. The whole lot was caught on video and showed Mahmoud Raslan taking pictures of the boy. No medics were present to treat the boy, someone carried him into an ambulance and sat him down and then the photos were taken and subsequently widely used in the media. At no point was the boy tended to even though it looks like he has a head wound. The boy even touches the wound but makes no reaction when doing so, he just wipes his hand on the seat.

Two other children in similar conditions can be seen in the video as well as a man with a bloodied face who is compos-mentis and unhurt. The blood has clearly been faked. He is 'helped' into the ambulance and it drives away.

The media have championed Mahmoud Raslan, but make no mention of him being a fighter with al-Zenki and no mention of him filming an horrific war crime.

There's huge media manipulation. The latest being the ludicrous figure of 250,000 civilians being 'besieged' in eastern Aleppo. The true figure was nearer half of that. Some 35,000 were evacuated under the ceasefire agreement which also included evacuation of shia from the towns of Fua and Kafraya. That 35k were made up of fighters and their families. Not all fighters chose to leave, some 5,000 chose to effectively surrender and have their legal status resolved as part of the government's reconciliation process.

The rest of the civilians went to either government held territory or to Sheik Mansood (Kurdish part of Aleppo) and weren't besieged at all. In effect they couldn't get out because the routes out, agreed under previous ceasefire agreements, were too dangerous to use because the rebel fighters had mined them. It was only when government forces and allies over-ran those areas could the civilians get somewhere safe. None of that has been shown in western media with the same coverage as they gave al-Zenki members.

The old adage, "truth is the first casualty in war" springs to mind.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 06:29 AM   #24
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
BBC were caught out lying by using old footage from 2014, specifically Yarmouk Camp in Damascus, claiming it was from Madaya and spinning the message that civilians were starving in October 2015.
This was news to me, so I did a bit of googling.
It seems this use of old footage lasted a full two seconds, in the middle of footage that was genuine.
Wow.
The fiends. The lying toads.
Alternatively, they made a very small mistake, which made absolutely no difference to the veracity of the story as a whole.
http://newpol.org/content/whats-issu...-few-fake-pics
Old 4th January 2017, 06:42 AM   #25
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

The man (Mahmoud Raslan) who videoed that crime is a member of al-Zenki and also just happened to be present when a dusty and supposedly wounded boy was taken into the back of an ambulance.
That's not what he says. He says he was involved in a human chain passing children's bodies out of buildings. He was passed 3 dead bodies before the live boy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7197291.html
The whole lot was caught on video and showed Mahmoud Raslan taking pictures of the boy. No medics were present to treat the boy, someone carried him into an ambulance and sat him down and then the photos were taken and subsequently widely used in the media. At no point was the boy tended to even though it looks like he has a head wound. The boy even touches the wound but makes no reaction when doing so, he just wipes his hand on the seat.
He was taken to a hospital and tended to there. Where are you getting your information from?
Two other children in similar conditions can be seen in the video as well as a man with a bloodied face who is compos-mentis and unhurt. The blood has clearly been faked.
On what do you base this assertion? Were you there? Are you qualified to distinguish theatrical blood from the real thing? How is this done?

The media have championed Mahmoud Raslan, but make no mention of him being a fighter with al-Zenki and no mention of him filming an horrific war crime.
Also not true. Who is telling you these things, and why are you not checking them for yourself?
The accusations have been reported, and he has denied them.
http://www.geopolmonitor.com/aleppo-...ng-involvment/

<snip of more unsupported assertions>

The old adage, "truth is the first casualty in war" springs to mind.
So it would seem, though perhaps not in the way you meant it.
Perhaps you would care to support some of your claims with actual evidence, or at least sources. You might still salvage some credibility.

Last edited by Cosmic Yak; 4th January 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 07:53 AM   #26
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
And I'm an American - trained from an early age to resist advertising and propaganda, to suspect an agenda coupled with hyperbole if not outright lies.
What sort of training?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 07:54 AM   #27
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Define "been largely accurate in the past" and "verify their stories", then present your evidence.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 07:55 AM   #28
caveman1917
Philosopher

Of course you can, it's where they all start out at.
Old 5th January 2017, 07:56 AM   #29
caveman1917
Philosopher

Evidence?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events