ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags media criticism

Old 19th January 2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Pre$$titutes claim to have woken up, declare war on Trump

An open letter to Trump from the US press corps, written by Kyle Pope, Editor in Chief and Publisher of the Columbia Journalism Review, in the name of the US Press Corps.

Quote:
Dear Mr. President Elect:

In these final days before your inauguration, we thought it might be helpful to clarify how we see the relationship between your administration and the American press corps.

They go all bossy on him, elaborating on points like this:

Quote:
  • Access is preferable, but not critical
  • Off the record and other ground rules are ours—not yours—to set
  • We decide how much airtime to give your spokespeople and surrogates
  • We believe there is an objective truth, and we will hold you to that
  • We’ll obsess over the details of government

Then they seem to remember what they did over the last eight years in the rear end of the "most transparent" President ever, and add:

Quote:
We will set higher standards for ourselves than ever before. We credit you with highlighting serious and widespread distrust in the media across the political spectrum. Your campaign tapped into that, and it was a bracing wake-up call for us. We have to regain that trust. And we’ll do it through accurate, fearless reporting, by acknowledging our errors and abiding by the most stringent ethical standards we set for ourselves.

Sure you'll do.

Quote:
We’re going to work together. You have tried to divide us and use reporters’ deep competitive streaks to cause family fights. Those days are ending. We now recognize that the challenge of covering you requires that we cooperate and help one another whenever possible. So, when you shout down or ignore a reporter at a press conference who has said something you don’t like, you’re going to face a unified front. We’ll work together on stories when it makes sense, and make sure the world hears when our colleagues write stories of importance. We will, of course, still have disagreements, and even important debates, about ethics or taste or fair comment. But those debates will be ours to begin and end.

Of course you will. And you will survive (not that it would have been necessary to mention that, or would it?):

Quote:
We’re playing the long game. Best-case scenario, you’re going to be in this job for eight years. We’ve been around since the founding of the republic, and our role in this great democracy has been ratified and reinforced again and again and again. You have forced us to rethink the most fundamental questions about who we are and what we are here for. For that we are most grateful.

Enjoy your inauguration.

I suggest Teh Donald starts a weekly TV show on RT, detailing the current works of the government and taking calls and tweets from The People™. Maybe call it "Aló Presidente". That'll teach them.
Old 19th January 2017, 06:16 AM   #2
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Stop watching RT.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Donal
Illuminator

The press decides to institute things that keep the press free...and you're problem is..? Oh, ya, Daddy Vladdy might look bad when you take the things he says and does and puts them in the context he said and did them in.

But don't worry, they are still ratings whores and it only takes one to break them.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

What is the point of this OP? A guy sent a letter to Donald Trump. What are you asking us to believe about it?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
What is the point of this OP? A guy sent a letter to Donald Trump. What are you asking us to believe about it?
Same as always. Russia good. America bad.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:48 AM   #6
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Same as always. Russia good. America bad.

I don't see that in the post. I don't see anything at all in the post.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:51 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Got you beat. I don't even see the post. Just the thread.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 07:55 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Stop watching RT.
Or writing for it.
Old 19th January 2017, 07:55 AM   #9
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
An open letter to Trump from the US press corps, written by Kyle Pope, Editor in Chief and Publisher of the Columbia Journalism Review, in the name of the US Press Corps.

Then they seem to remember what they did over the last eight years in the rear end of the "most transparent" President ever, and add:

Sure you'll do.

Of course you will. And you will survive (not that it would have been necessary to mention that, or would it?):

I suggest Teh Donald starts a weekly TV show on RT, detailing the current works of the government and taking calls and tweets from The People™. Maybe call it "Aló Presidente". That'll teach them.
Thank you for my daily comedy routine.
Old 19th January 2017, 07:57 AM   #10
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I think its meant to show us how clever she is 'cuz "pre$$itutes".

or something.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:03 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

From the tone of the responses, I get the impression that this is a non-event.

Is it that the letter doesn't exist or that no-one here thinks it's newsworthy.

Yes, I get that some of you don't like the OP but, to me, the letter seems interesting. Is there anything in it?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 08:14 AM   #12
Spindrift

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
From the tone of the responses, I get the impression that this is a non-event.

Is it that the letter doesn't exist or that no-one here thinks it's newsworthy.

Yes, I get that some of you don't like the OP but, to me, the letter seems interesting. Is there anything in it?
The letter is real, but it's the press saying, "we're going to do our job." Great thanks.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 08:16 AM   #13
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The letter is real, but it's the press saying, "we're going to do our job." Great thanks.
Pretty much. It's yet another shot across the bow in a rain of similar projectiles.

Old 19th January 2017, 08:43 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I think the main recipient of this letter is not Trump, but journalists who think that the Trump way of dealing with the press is the new norm.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:47 AM   #15
Argumemnon
World Maker

Stop watching RT.
The little I've seen from RT recently has been very critical of Trump. No?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 12:39 PM   #16
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

I don't see anything interesting in it. "Hi, we appreciate that your election is significant, we really want to work with you, we're not going to sacrifice our ethics just to get access to you." Pretty straightforward to me. The author even deprecates journalism in order to, I guess, try to be overly-agreeable.

L. Leader
Old 19th January 2017, 01:30 PM   #17
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Hahahahhaaaa! That was hilarious! My God, everywhere you look they're in a panic, blustering hysterically.

Look at a guy like James O'Keefe: instead of licking the shoes of the Clinton machine so he can ride in her airplane as an Annointed One, he infiltrates the machine.

They just hate him. For doing their jobs. Talk about courage. That guy has some balls.

What they don't seem to understand is that these independent journalists are inheriting the mantle and the legacy media cartel is finished.

lol.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 01:15 AM   #18
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I very much doubt it, but as I don't watch it - nor have inclination to even take a gander, I could very well be totally wrong.

Old 20th January 2017, 01:34 AM   #19
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

The premise of authoritarians is that they have clearly superior access to the facts, because rationalism is so much better than pesky empiricism.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 01:37 AM   #20
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Thom Hartmann certainly is; I don't know who else is on there.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 02:12 AM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Donald Trump should give interviews exclusively to RT.

He is a thin-skinned buffoon. Of course he wants to control the press when he will give them new things to criticise daily.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 20th January 2017 at 02:14 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 05:32 AM   #22
Spindrift

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Hahahahhaaaa! That was hilarious! My God, everywhere you look they're in a panic, blustering hysterically.

Look at a guy like James O'Keefe: instead of licking the shoes of the Clinton machine so he can ride in her airplane as an Annointed One, he infiltrates the machine.

They just hate him. For doing their jobs. Talk about courage. That guy has some balls.

What they don't seem to understand is that these independent journalists are inheriting the mantle and the legacy media cartel is finished.

lol.
I didn't know their job was to write bad fiction as Mr O'Keefe does.
Old 20th January 2017, 06:00 AM   #23
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Thom Hartmann certainly is; I don't know who else is on there.
Well, if RT allows him to rant against Trump and have guests on who also speak out against Trump, wouldn't that play against the assumption either that RT is a propaganda machine for Russia or that Russia's pro-Trump? Or both?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 07:39 AM   #24
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Got you beat. I don't even see the post. Just the thread.
Well, that explains why your talking about something not mentioned, or relevant to, the OP.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 07:52 AM   #25
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

lol.
James O'Keefe, the guy who hacks up his supposed "gotcha" video recordings so badly that he actually had to pay a guy who worked for ACORN $100,000 and apologize for misrepresenting him, and who was recently busted for trying to pay people to disrupt Trump's inauguration by pretending to represent a progressive organization?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:43 PM   #26
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Stop watching RT.
I think she should watch more RT. If possible.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:44 PM   #27
trustbutverify
Philosopher

It's there in spirit.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:02 PM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nyet.
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:46 PM   #29
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nyet.
So I haven't seen them call Trump dangerous and a threat to democracy?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics