ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ben Jacobs , fox news , Greg Gianforte , media criticism , media incidents , Montana elections , Montana incidents , Montana politics , Rob Quist

Old 4th June 2017, 06:12 PM   #361
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Violence is clearly needed from time to time.
Perhaps. But those who think like Mr. Gianforte are the last people on earth to whom the decision should be entrusted as to when to apply it.

I agree with others who have labeled Gianforte a coward. A brave person doesn't try to avoid a legitimate and relevant question. And a brave person accepts the consequences of their actions, rather than lie about it after the fact. Gianforte is gutless, and his actions are utterly indefensible by reasonable people.

Last edited by Stellafane; 4th June 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:08 PM   #362
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
An emotional mistake applauded by Americans.

Unprovoked physical assaults are only lauded by Americans as "an emotional mistake" when the attacker is a conservative Republican and those applauding are as well.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:15 PM   #363
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Perhaps. But those who think like Mr. Gianforte are the last people on earth to whom the decision should be entrusted as to when to apply it.

I agree with others who have labeled Gianforte a coward. A brave person doesn't try to avoid a legitimate and relevant question. And a brave person accepts the consequences of their actions, rather than lie about it after the fact. Gianforte is gutless, and his actions are utterly indefensible by reasonable people.
That certainly is the way the left looks at these things when they're the ones getting hit, i on the other hand look at it simply as a stupid mistake. Clearly he doesn't have a history of these things. Its SOP for the left to make him out as an immoral cowardly person. Another reason why your side lost this one. It does you no favors to be this dramatic about a simple mistake, people don't like it. Its called going overboard.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:17 PM   #364
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Not accepting this kind of thuggery is an element that once separated America from dictatorships.
Lol, dictatorships? This is what I mean, its way overboard!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:19 PM   #365
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
How brazenly disingenuous of you. 90 percent of that post suggests that you believe the Congressman's actions were justified.
Not really justified, if I was there I might have let him get at least one punch in, but then that's it no more! I mean, who doesn't like a little pajama boy getting it back just a bit?
Old 4th June 2017, 08:25 PM   #366
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Putting the whole thing together, he's saying that it actually was justified, just stupid to do, likely for PR reasons.
No, not justified, just a little lesson teaching?
Quote:
Might makes right. Had you forgotten? By the standards that he's pushing, logger's just quietly revealing that he thinks that he, himself, needs to be beaten into submission and his property damaged for all the trolling that he's openly admitted to doing.
Actually you have forgotten what we on he right went through. Remember your sides justifying what went on at Trump rallies? And how is it that I'm revealing I need to be beaten into submission? Why the hell does your side constantly have to make things personal? I've admitted to trolling but only because your side thinks everything the right says in disagreement is trolling. Its a bit of a joke, so I gave them what they wanted, I enjoy letting your side think there's monsters out to get them.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:26 PM   #367
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Yeah, like when you're a right-winger and you can't handle someone asking you questions about your job.
Only when it's a pajama boy leftist.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:31 PM   #368
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

He should be put in prison for 5 years or more.

And have a very large roomate who will call him "Sugar".
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:31 PM   #369
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Violence has NO place in our political discourse. Do you hear me LOGGER? NONE.
BS, violence rules the day in many places and with Trump, your side started it, now you don't know how to put it away. It's only going to get worse when you have comedians doing what they're doing. Leftist hate groups not being shut down. Have you ever read Saul Alinsky's book?

And know I can't hear you, but I'm sure you can read my post, we'll pick it up another time.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:32 PM   #370
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
He should be put in prison for 5 years or more.

And have a very large roomate who will call him "Sugar".
Like I've said, he didn't kill anyone and is his first offence, its harmless!
Old 4th June 2017, 08:36 PM   #371
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Like I've said, he didn't kill anyone and is his first offence, its harmless!
He needs to learn his lesson.

Such violence cannot be tolerated.

A few rounds with a very big prison roomate will teach him a good lesson. Plus he might even enjoy it.

Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:38 PM   #372
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

BS, violence rules the day in many places and with Trump, your side started it, now you don't know how to put it away.
That's why we need to make an example of Gianforte.

He will become someone's girlfriend in prison.

He may even enjoy it. Then he will come out and tell other politicians not to commit acts of violence, or they may end up losing all their teeth for some sick purposes.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:39 PM   #373
logger
Philosopher

He needs to learn his lesson.

Such violence cannot be tolerated.

A few rounds with a very big prison roomate will teach him a good lesson. Plus he might even enjoy it.

But only if we're able to watch, I'd rather watch him go toe to toe with an equal sized democrat.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:41 PM   #374
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

But only if we're able to watch, I'd rather watch him go toe to toe with an equal sized democrat.
No, he attacked someone, and needs to learn his lesson.

5 years being someone's sex slave in prison should do the trick. And he'll learn some new tricks.

Old 4th June 2017, 08:52 PM   #375
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Its SOP for the left to make him out as an immoral cowardly person.
No, I described him as a cowardly bully because that's what he is. He assaulted a reporter asking a legitimate question because he had no moral fortitude, just angry emotion. A wimp for sure.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:53 PM   #376
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
No, I described him as a cowardly bully because that's what he is. He assaulted a reporter asking a legitimate question because he had no moral fortitude, just angry emotion. A wimp for sure.
Typical of all of those on the right. No Morals, and all cowardly.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 08:57 PM   #377
logger
Philosopher

Yep, didn't the pajama boy he assaulted say the same thing? But you'd be wrong as usual. Clearly he had a moment, he's never done this before, so labelling him as you have doesn't set in reality.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:05 PM   #378
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yep, didn't the pajama boy he assaulted say the same thing? But you'd be wrong as usual.
Blaming the victim is sure cowardly. You'd think these alleged tough guys would man up and admit to their mistakes, but no.

Quote:
Clearly he had a moment, he's never done this before, so labelling him as you have doesn't set in reality.
Yes, he had a criminal moment. Bullies bully until they get caught and blame everything but their own cowardly behavior.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 4th June 2017 at 09:19 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 09:23 PM   #379
logger
Philosopher

Blaming the victim is sure cowardly. You'd think these alleged tough guys would man up and admit to their mistakes, but no.
No?
I'm pretty sure he apologised fo it.
Quote:
Yes, he had a criminal moment. Bullies bully until they get caught and blame everything but their own cowardly behavior.
Lol
I don't think you can prove he's been an ongoing bully? And he did blame his own behaviour by apologising?
Old 4th June 2017, 09:25 PM   #380
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

It's kind of amusing to watch logger defend an emotional outburst after his repeated mockery of "leftists" for their perceived reliance on emotion. Unsurprising, but amusing.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 4th June 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 09:30 PM   #381
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The guy's "apology" was on par with conservative apologies along the lines of "if anyone was offended...." except this time, he apologized for a fictional account of the event while his team bragged that they would raise more money because of it.

The Republican party is the party of hate, they celebrate it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 09:32 PM   #382
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No?
He admitted to nothing but "making a mistake." Just as a coward would.
Quote:
I don't think you can prove he's been an ongoing bully? And he did blame his own behaviour by apologising?
Well, when he copped to making a "mistake" he welled up and his voice cracked, just as a bully reacts when getting caught at bullying.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 4th June 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:37 PM   #383
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The guy's "apology" was on par with conservative apologies along the lines of "if anyone was offended...." except this time, he apologized for a fictional account of the event while his team bragged that they would raise more money because of it.
Like a preacher's crocodile tears when caught with a hooker and meth.

"Ah have sinned againist the Lawd! Pulleaze send mo' money!!

Buncha phonies.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 4th June 2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:53 PM   #384
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It's kind of amusing to watch logger defend an emotional outburst after his repeated mockery of "leftists" for their perceived reliance on emotion. Unsurprising, but amusing.
Its kind of amusing watching you not be able to understand what i write. I've clearly said it was stupid.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:54 PM   #385
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

The Republican party is the party of hate, they celebrate it.
Thanks for the laugh of the week!

No part hates more than demorats.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:56 PM   #386
logger
Philosopher

He admitted to nothing but "making a mistake." Just as a coward would.
Lol
Just because your side didn't get any blood, doesn't men's it wasn't an apology.
Quote:
Well, when he copped to making a "mistake" he welled up and his voice cracked, just as a bully reacts when getting caught at bullying.
No, I've seen that when democrats get caught.
Old 4th June 2017, 10:03 PM   #387
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Lol
Lypop.

Quote:
Just because your side didn't get any blood, doesn't men's it wasn't an apology.
I don't know what side you're talking about, but I didn't say it wasn't an apology, I said it was a wimp's way out.

Quote:
No, I've seen that when democrats get caught.
So have I. I also saw it here with this particular bully 'fraidy cat.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 4th June 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 4th June 2017, 10:59 PM   #388
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

No, not justified, just a little lesson teaching?
And that you consider it "lesson teaching" means that you think that it's justified.

Actually you have forgotten what we on he right went through. Remember your sides justifying what went on at Trump rallies?
Which part? The protests against a candidate who endorsed violence against those who vocally disagreed at those rallies, campaigned upon fear and hatred, and was obviously horrifically unfit to do the job in general? As long as they were peaceful, they were fine. Those like me condemned any violence, regardless.

And how is it that I'm revealing I need to be beaten into submission?
Have you forgotten your justification already? What part of its essence doesn't actually apply to you, given your actions here? Fair application of the principles that you're advocating means that you quite deserve to be taught a lesson.

Why the hell does your side constantly have to make things personal?
What's personal about this? It's simply one of the fair consequences of the principles that you're advocating.

I've admitted to trolling but only because your side thinks everything the right says in disagreement is trolling.
Suuuuure. Nothing to do with you constantly making nonsensically irrelevant responses, among everything else. I've engaged with people on the right who can disagree in ways that aren't trolling. Your failure to do that nearly every time, on the other hand, is more an embarrassment for the right than anything. Much of the time, it's so bad that we're forced to wonder if you're actually someone on the left going out of your way to try to make the right look even worse.

Its a bit of a joke, so I gave them what they wanted, I enjoy letting your side think there's monsters out to get them.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th June 2017 at 11:40 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2017, 11:13 PM   #389
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

No, he attacked someone, and needs to learn his lesson.

5 years being someone's sex slave in prison should do the trick. And he'll learn some new tricks.

Sorry, but I'm not pleased, at all, with your advocacy of more and nastier criminal behavior as a somehow fitting punishment.

Yep, didn't the pajama boy he assaulted say the same thing? But you'd be wrong as usual. Clearly he had a moment, he's never done this before, so labelling him as you have doesn't set in reality.
The first that he was directly caught doing by major news organizations and had no way of feasibly getting out of, you mean? Your assumption is based on remarkably shaky ground.

No?

Lol
He apologized after 1) passing the point where he thought that there would be any meaningful penalties and 2) after what he did was pretty much indisputable. Don't forget that he tried to immediately and blatantly lie and cover it up.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th June 2017 at 11:36 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2017, 03:21 AM   #390
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

That certainly is the way the left looks at these things when they're the ones getting hit, i on the other hand look at it simply as a stupid mistake.
And that is the way cowards look at these things. "I'm too scared to answer the question, so I'm going to beat the person who asked it into submission." Do you really think there's the slightest bit of bravery in doing something like this? Do you also think the only form of cowardice is the physical variety, and that being able to physically overpower another person makes you brave? Personally, I'd find that an extremely stunted view of the world.

Quote:
Clearly he doesn't have a history of these things. Its SOP for the left to make him out as an immoral cowardly person. Another reason why your side lost this one. It does you no favors to be this dramatic about a simple mistake, people don't like it. Its called going overboard.
One, I'm not a member of the "left," at least not by most people's definition of the term. Two, we are defined by our actions, and Gianforte's was cowardly. And it compounds his cowardice by lying about it, and hiding behind "but I'm not like that most of the time!" crap. He did it, at least have the baseline guts to be honest about it. And three, anyone who actually believes assaulting another person to avoid answering a reasonable question is "a simple mistake" is pretty much disqualified from being taken seriously in a conversation among adults.
Old 5th June 2017, 05:10 AM   #391
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It was cold logic really. He knew violence would play well to the base and he wouldn't have to give and answer about the millions of people who would lose their healthcare. Win win really. So easy to defend from a logical standpoint.

You think his buddy the sheriff wouldn't cover for him?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2017, 06:02 AM   #392
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
And that is the way cowards look at these things. "I'm too scared to answer the question, so I'm going to beat the person who asked it into submission." Do you really think there's the slightest bit of bravery in doing something like this? Do you also think the only form of cowardice is the physical variety, and that being able to physically overpower another person makes you brave? Personally, I'd find that an extremely stunted view of the world.
Beat him into submission? A bit overboard, that isn't what happened. I never said it was "bravery" I said it was a stupid thing to do.

Quote:
One, I'm not a member of the "left," at least not by most people's definition of the term. Two, we are defined by our actions, and Gianforte's was cowardly. And it compounds his cowardice by lying about it, and hiding behind "but I'm not like that most of the time!" crap. He did it, at least have the baseline guts to be honest about it.
Labeling this as cowardly is just another leftist tactic. You're blowing this way out of proportion.

Quote:
And three, anyone who actually believes assaulting another person to avoid answering a reasonable question is "a simple mistake" is pretty much disqualified from being taken seriously in a conversation among adults.
Lol
Then put me on ignore if you can't bear to have a conversation.

Last edited by logger; 5th June 2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 5th June 2017, 06:08 AM   #393
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Beat him into submission? A bit overboard, that isn't what happened.
Well, the reporter stoped asking questions about the health care reform bill, which is clearly what Gianforte wanted. No more scary questions.

That's pretty much exactly what happened.
Old 5th June 2017, 06:24 AM   #394
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
And that you consider it "lesson teaching" means that you think that it's justified.
No, that's just more leftist speak for protecting some little pajama boys feelings. It means the pajama boy might have learned something through this most horrible act that your side can't seem to get past but will have to because you lost.

Quote:
Which part? The protests against a candidate who endorsed violence against those who vocally disagreed at those rallies, campaigned upon fear and hatred, and was obviously horrifically unfit to do the job in general? As long as they were peaceful, they were fine. Those like me condemned any violence, regardless.
Lol
Having the police remove them is somehow endorsing violence? Hilarious. Those losers who were there to disagree shouldn't have been there. They only went to cause trouble. They also learned a lesson.
Your side started it, now you want to cry about it. And no you did justify it, blaming it on Trump, remember. Its just above even you can read it?

Quote:
Have you forgotten your justification already? What part of its essence doesn't actually apply to you, given your actions here? Fair application of the principles that you're advocating means that you quite deserve to be taught a lesson.
Lol
Liberal pap, what lesson do I need to learn here, go ahead, this ought to be good.

Quote:
What's personal about this? It's simply one of the fair consequences of the principles that you're advocating.
Saying that somehow I need to be beaten up for my trolling is making it personal, its making this argument about me, it's what your side does.

Quote:
Suuuuure. Nothing to do with you constantly making nonsensically irrelevant responses, among everything else. I've engaged with people on the right who can disagree in ways that aren't trolling. Your failure to do that nearly every time, on the other hand, is more an embarrassment for the right than anything. Much of the time, it's so bad that we're forced to wonder if you're actually someone on the left going out of your way to try to make the right look even worse.
Of course there are many more others on here who argue the same way from the left, but that of course doesn't bother you, you're doing it also with making it about me.

Your forced to wonder because your not used to republicans giving it back to you the way you give it to us.
Old 5th June 2017, 07:47 AM   #395
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

According to Logger's strict rules of being a proper Right-Winger™, being "tough on crime" is a charade for the little people. If a right-winger violently assaults someone, don't you dare have him face legal consequences for it. In fact, don't even give him professional or social consequences. If it's all right, it's alright!
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2017, 07:51 AM   #396
Parsman
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Your forced to wonder because your not used to republicans giving it back to you the way you give it to us.
So, when did the last Democratic or even progressive candidate attack a reporter who was asking questions? Your implication seems to be that this is a common event, yet I can't remember it happening in my adult lifetime (36 years now). Trying to expand it to all possible examples of political violence is disingenuous at best.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2017, 09:04 AM   #397
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
According to Logger's strict rules of being a proper Right-Wingerô, being "tough on crime" is a charade for the little people. If a right-winger violently assaults someone, don't you dare have him face legal consequences for it. In fact, don't even give him professional or social consequences. If it's all right, it's alright!
Lol
He faced legal consequences, it was a misdemeanor. But it looks like the sherif went a bit out of his way to clear this out. It seems nobody likes the pajama boy, libs lose again!
Old 5th June 2017, 09:07 AM   #398
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
So, when did the last Democratic or even progressive candidate attack a reporter who was asking questions? Your implication seems to be that this is a common event, yet I can't remember it happening in my adult lifetime (36 years now). Trying to expand it to all possible examples of political violence is disingenuous at best.
A democrat attack one of their own? You're not serious are you? The poster was personally attacking the way I supposedly troll the fine leftists here.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:08 AM   #399
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Well, the reporter stoped asking questions about the health care reform bill, which is clearly what Gianforte wanted. No more scary questions.

That's pretty much exactly what happened.
Yep, what a wimp!
Old 5th June 2017, 09:09 AM   #400
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I think it's really weird how even outspoken Christians will so easily demean and belittle the victim of this crime. I've had conversations with some, and they don't even want to consider what Jesus would say about their behavior. It's really shameful.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics