ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ben Jacobs , fox news , Greg Gianforte , media criticism , media incidents , Montana elections , Montana incidents , Montana politics , Rob Quist

Old 16th June 2017, 02:19 PM   #481
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I would be too, and not just for being a representative, but for whom he assaulted.
My concern as well.

If a constituent had assaulted a representative acting in their capacity I would have expected a greater punishment.

I have no problem with the press acting in their capacity having a bit more protection than the average person getting into a bar brawl.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 01:07 AM   #482
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Hmm. I randomly stumbled across this.

Gianforte donates $50K to press group to settle civil claims for assault on reporter
Old 20th June 2017, 02:58 AM   #483
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I would be too, and not just for being a representative, but for whom he assaulted.

As representative, he's accountable to the people, and the press is the primary means through which the people hold their politicians accountable. He assaulted a member of the press, and thus he struck at the heart of how democracy functions.
No they like him finally standing up to journalists. He is a great representative for his district.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 03:00 AM   #484
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

I wonder how his supporters feel about that.
Old 20th June 2017, 03:23 AM   #485
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I wonder how his supporters feel about that.
Happy he got off with a pittance to him of a payment? He is a billionaire after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 03:30 AM   #486
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Happy he got off with a pittance to him of a payment? He is a billionaire after all.

It isn't the money, it's the principle of it.

His supporters believe he was perfectly justified in attacking that journalist, and were publicly lauding him for it.

Now he pulls a pansy stunt like "donating" money to butt-hurt journalists. He's betraying the cause. It's like admitting that he was wrong.

Sure he had to do that in court, but that's only because all the judges and juries are liberal Commies that work for the "deep state". That was only self-preservation and they know he didn't really mean it.

He didn't have to do this. It is nothing but a slap in their faces.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:47 AM   #487
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It isn't the money, it's the principle of it.

His supporters believe he was perfectly justified in attacking that journalist, and were publicly lauding him for it.

Now he pulls a pansy stunt like "donating" money to butt-hurt journalists. He's betraying the cause. It's like admitting that he was wrong.

Sure he had to do that in court, but that's only because all the judges and juries are liberal Commies that work for the "deep state". That was only self-preservation and they know he didn't really mean it.

He didn't have to do this. It is nothing but a slap in their faces.
It looks more like this was part of a deal before the sentencing, if you read the whole article. The supporters would be more likely to see it as him working the system to be sure to get the very light sentence that he did, compared to what was up to six months of jail time.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics