ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cnn , media criticism , media incidents

Old 4th July 2017, 08:37 PM   #1
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

CNN Doxxes a gif maker

CNN has appeared to abandon news of any sort and instead is doxxing some nobody who made a funny GIF.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politi...eet/index.html

what a buncha pussies
Old 4th July 2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

You don't know what doxxing actually is, do you? Because I see no evidence of it in that article.
Cl1mh4224rd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

From the article:

"CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again."
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Shepherd
Thinker

Quote:
CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
Wow.
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
From the article:

"CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again."
So they scared the crap out of the guy and now they want approval? On what basis is CNN owed an apology?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
So they scared the crap out of the guy and now they want approval? On what basis is CNN owed an apology?
Bunch of *****
Old 4th July 2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Giz
Philosopher

Hmmm, I do have misgivings about CNN's approach.

I think it's because while I think that shaming can be a powerful (and justifiable) social tool to move society away from deplorable behavior... I'd normally think of it as being applied by citizens against other citizens. Not by a huge, immensely powerful media corporation trying to make an individual anathema. It seems like a crazy imbalance of power.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:50 PM   #8
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

From the article:

And after a short stay, HanA**holeSolo will be put on a plane and be delivered back to his parents in a coma.
Old 4th July 2017, 10:04 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I agree that they did not approach this the correct way. They should have immediately published the guy's name.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 10:34 PM   #10
Civet
Graduate Poster

I'm not fond of anything that smells even a little like blackmail. This particular guy is pretty obviously scum, so I might not be shedding any tears for him, but I don't like the tactic.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 11:01 PM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm a little torn about this.

I mean, when I post on the internet I generally do so at least semi-anonymously. I think the administrators here probably have my real name on file, but probably if someone really tech savvy tried they could figure it out. I want to keep my real-life identity as hidden as possible most of the time.

Devil's advocate: maybe we would get better quality of posting on the internet if everyone's real identity was known, or easy to find out. Want to be a troll? Fine, but your friends, your family, your boss and coworkers can see it. People might think a little harder about what they say online. OTOH, it's not only the trolls. Everyone would have to be more careful about what they say.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:37 PM   #12
Bogative
Muse

I bet the gif maker works for the Russians.

******' Putin.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 11:54 PM   #13
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

So it is "fake news" if it is an anonymous source.
But it is doxxing and bad if a guy making gif showing violence by the president against journalist (*) is uncovered ?

I am guessing some like to protect anonymity or uncover only when it arrange them , like only when criticizing the "other" side.

(*) and with the current context of blocking by the white house , and the fact some of us recall that in many despotic regime the first to suffer violence/blockage by the regime are the journalists and news, some of us did not really find that humorous at all. Rather very dark.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 12:52 AM   #14
Cain
Straussian

I think too much has been made of that silly gif. It was celebratory, not a call to arms. Incidentally, wrestling is fake.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 03:22 AM   #15
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I think too much has been made of that silly gif. It was celebratory, not a call to arms. Incidentally, wrestling is fake.
It's not the silly gif. It's the silly git. e.g. the person who re-tweeted it. That would be the President of the United States. Passing notes in history class like any other fourteen year old.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 04:08 AM   #16
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That is very like a gif I might have made if I'd thought of it. Just for the bizarre humor of it. If asked to apologize I'd say "Hell no!". However, no malice or incitement would be intended on my part. And I don't have the posting history that guy does.
Old 5th July 2017, 04:17 AM   #17
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Less is more sometimes
Old 5th July 2017, 05:06 AM   #18
zorro99
Muse

Good for CNN.
Old 5th July 2017, 06:14 AM   #19
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Good for CNN.
that will teach citizens to put the CNN logo in pro wrestling gif!

Old 5th July 2017, 06:24 AM   #20
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
that will teach citizens to put the CNN logo in pro wrestling gif!

What is you find objectionable? Could you please articulate your thoughts on this in a paragraph or two? I would really like to know.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 06:27 AM   #21
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The gif was never loved, but it is funny how quickly this became a milkshake duck scenario.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 06:39 AM   #22
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

CNN has appeared to abandon news of any sort and instead is doxxing some nobody who made a funny GIF.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politi...eet/index.html

what a buncha pussies
TBD is wrong. CNN didn't "doxx" anyone

CNN did investigative research, and found the person who created the GIF (Hanassholesolo) that @POTUS tweeted and tried to contact him to speak with him.

CNN then wrote an article and specifically did not publish the mans name.

Hanassholesolo should proudly stand up to be recognized and own his GIF and all the rest of his posts.
Old 5th July 2017, 06:42 AM   #23
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Who claimed CNN was owed an apology ?
Old 5th July 2017, 06:43 AM   #24
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Wow.
IKR ? They don't have to reserve any rights.

They need to publish his name, no more of these "anonymous" "fake news" stories.
Old 5th July 2017, 06:46 AM   #25
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
TBD is wrong. CNN didn't "doxx" anyone

CNN did investigative research, and found the person who created the GIF (Hanassholesolo) that @POTUS tweeted and tried to contact him to speak with him.

CNN then wrote an article and specifically did not publish the mans name.

Hanassholesolo should proudly stand up to be recognized and own his GIF and all the rest of his posts.
TBD forgot to mention that the reporter who did the research and discovered the maker of the GIF is now receiving death threats.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 06:47 AM   #26
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
You don't know what doxxing actually is, do you? Because I see no evidence of it in that article.
Words don't mean anything anymore. People on one side of the political spectrum create one, and people on the other side abuse it to the point where it's meaningless.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 06:52 AM   #27
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I agree that they did not approach this the correct way. They should have immediately published the guy's name.
Agreed. It's not the job of a news organization to withhold information. And it's flat out weird to use identity as threatened punishment.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:06 AM   #28
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Agreed. It's not the job of a news organization to withhold information.
News organizations including CNN withhold information all the bloody time. It's very much their job. They have a limited amount of bandwidth, any decision to report something is necessarily a decision to not report something else.

Quote:
And it's flat out weird to use identity as threatened punishment.
They shouldn't have threatened punishment, they should have just punished. Is that the idea? Because that's exactly what Ken is saying.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 07:16 AM   #29
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
They shouldn't have threatened punishment, they should have just punished. Is that the idea? Because that's exactly what Ken is saying.
Calling it punishment is a misnomer. It may have negative consequences, but publishing as part of a story is neither punishment or retribution. CNN should simply have published Hanassholesolos name as part of the story.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:18 AM   #30
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
News organizations including CNN withhold information all the bloody time. It's very much their job. They have a limited amount of bandwidth, any decision to report something is necessarily a decision to not report something else.
Seeing as they used more bandwidth explaining the non revelation, your observation is nonsensical. And your wisdom about the job of a news organization is absurdly literal.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:25 AM   #31
badnewsBH
Thinker

I don't know about his other posts, but the guy owes no one an apology for the GIF. Well, maybe the WWE for using their content.
badnewsBH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 07:34 AM   #32
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
CNN the King of Fake News and Outright Threats.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:38 AM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Calling it punishment is a misnomer. It may have negative consequences, but publishing as part of a story is neither punishment or retribution. CNN should simply have published Hanassholesolos name as part of the story.
What possible purpose would it serve? The only results I can see coming out of that are negative. Except maybe for scaring him into not posting the other crap he's been doing.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:41 AM   #34
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That is very like a gif I might have made if I'd thought of it. Just for the bizarre humor of it. If asked to apologize I'd say "Hell no!". However, no malice or incitement would be intended on my part. And I don't have the posting history that guy does.
But you'd be making the same mistake every novice artist makes, thinking your intended message and the message the audience receives will look remotely similar.

The President of the United States pummeling and dominating "journalism" in a display of proto-homonid violence has a clear subtext aside from "the lulz", a lack of awareness of that subtext on the author's part doesn't mean it isn't there.

Then when that very same President retweets it (official White House statement?) that's a whole different ball game.

Once you publish you basically surrender control over it's "meaning."

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 07:44 AM   #35
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm confused. What parts do you object to and why?
Old 5th July 2017, 07:45 AM   #36
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm confused. What parts do you object to and why?
The part about the fake news and the outright threats, obviously.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:49 AM   #37
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The President of the United States pummeling and dominating "journalism" in a display of proto-homonid violence has a clear subtext aside from "the lulz", a lack of awareness of that subtext on the author's part doesn't mean it isn't there.
Oh, come on. It sounds as if this guy has made some hateful posts (according to CNN) but the wrestling one is a harmless trash joke. We would have to be hysterically hypersensitive to be triggered by it.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:59 AM   #38
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What possible purpose would it serve? The only results I can see coming out of that are negative. Except maybe for scaring him into not posting the other crap he's been doing.
There's a reason Hanassholesolo doesn't want his reddit posts linked to him IRL, as you alluded to.

Off the top of my head, it might cause other people to also think twice before making posts on the Internet that they don't want to own IRL.

You're free to make the speech you want (within the limits of the constitution), you're not guaranteed to be free from the public opinion/consequences of that speech.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:59 AM   #39
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, come on. It sounds as if this guy has made some hateful posts (according to CNN) but the wrestling one is a harmless trash joke. We would have to be hysterically hypersensitive to be triggered by it.
I don't have any complaints against the guy who created it. The problem is that The PDJT retweeted it sans comment. If he had added something like -- "I thought this was funny" it would have put a different spin on it. As it is, it seems like an endorsement.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:00 AM   #40
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

The part about the fake news and the outright threats, obviously.
Dodge.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics