ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cnn , media criticism , media incidents

Old 5th July 2017, 08:03 AM   #41
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The part about the fake news and the outright threats, obviously.
What's fake about it?

Do you ever _not_ throw out the "fake news" phrase?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:05 AM   #42
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Calling it punishment is a misnomer. It may have negative consequences, but publishing as part of a story is neither punishment or retribution. CNN should simply have published Hanassholesolos name as part of the story.
There is no point to such a story other than punishment. He is not a public figure, his name is of no actual interest to the public.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:07 AM   #43
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Off the top of my head, it might cause other people to also think twice before making posts on the Internet that they don't want to own IRL.
Kind of like how we punish criminals to deter other potential criminals.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:09 AM   #44
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

There's a reason Hanassholesolo doesn't want his reddit posts linked to him IRL, as you alluded to.

Off the top of my head, it might cause other people to also think twice before making posts on the Internet that they don't want to own IRL.

You're free to make the speech you want (within the limits of the constitution), you're not guaranteed to be free from the public opinion/consequences of that speech.
On the flipside of that coin, if someone posts anonymously (or pseudonymously) due to fears of retaliation they could be chilled into silence. If (say) a gay man in a muslim community is doxxed in a similar manner the precedent has already been set for it to be acceptable, and honour killings have happened.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:10 AM   #45
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
There is no point to such a story other than punishment. He is not a public figure, his name is of no actual interest to the public.
Isn't that true of most people in most news stories?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:11 AM   #46
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Dodge.
'k.

Old 5th July 2017, 08:12 AM   #47
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't have any complaints against the guy who created it. The problem is that The PDJT retweeted it sans comment. If he had added something like -- "I thought this was funny" it would have put a different spin on it. As it is, it seems like an endorsement.

He didn't "retweet" it. First, reddit is not a tweet, second, what Trump posted is not a GIF, it's a video with sound, a diffferent cut and a FNN logo added. It's a derivitive work. Nobody so far knows how Trump came to tweet it. The connection to the reddit post is indirect at best.

CNN now has the Internet's special forces red hot angry against them. They will regret it deeply. The power of one presidential tweet.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:12 AM   #48
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Isn't that true of most people in most news stories?
No.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:16 AM   #49
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

He is not a public figure, his name is of no interest, therefore it can only be punishment.

Old 5th July 2017, 08:19 AM   #50
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He is not a public figure, his name is of no interest, therefore it can only be punishment.

You already conceded that the point was punishment. Pour encourager les autres, to paraphrase your own post. Why do you feign surprise?
Old 5th July 2017, 08:20 AM   #51
Argumemnon
World Maker

No.
Really? So when someone's, say, arrested for murder, and they name the suspect, he was a public figure at the time of the crime?

Old 5th July 2017, 08:25 AM   #52
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Really? So when someone's, say, arrested for murder, and they name the suspect, he was a public figure at the time of the crime?
A person being a public figure isn't the only reason a story might be of public interest. Crimes are of public interest regardless of who commits them, for reasons which should be obvious. A random joke on the internet is not of public interest.

I would have thought such things went without saying, but apparently not.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:28 AM   #53
Argumemnon
World Maker

A person being a public figure isn't the only reason a story might be of public interest. Crimes are of public interest regardless of who commits them, for reasons which should be obvious. A random joke on the internet is not of public interest.

I would have thought such things went without saying, but apparently not.
Well, that was where I was leading, actually.

How is this not of public interest, knowing that the source of the altered video is a (pretend?) right-wing white supremacist?

How do you determine what's of public interest? Aside from partisan considerations, I mean.

Old 5th July 2017, 08:28 AM   #54
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Kind of like how we punish criminals to deter other potential criminals.
No, that's simply a potential side effect.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:29 AM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

He became a public figure. The methods people become a public figure isn't fair, but that isn't part of the criteria.

There have been enough connections between the president, that subreddit, and malicious messaging that I think the identity of a notable member is newsworthy.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:29 AM   #56
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Calling it punishment is a misnomer. It may have negative consequences, but publishing as part of a story is neither punishment or retribution. CNN should simply have published Hanassholesolos name as part of the story.
You already conceded that the point was punishment. Pour encourager les autres, to paraphrase your own post. Why do you feign surprise?
I don't think I did.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:30 AM   #57
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

What's fake about it?
The part where superimposing the CNN logo over a decade old wrestling video is "threatening journalists' obviously.

#cnnblackmail.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:32 AM   #58
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I see the words blackmail getting tossed around other places. Generally, blackmail involves the revealing of compromising information. This doesn't involve the reveal of compromising information because the compromising information is public. So not blackmail?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:32 AM   #59
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think I did.
Let me remind you (again):

Pour encourager les autres.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:34 AM   #60
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

CNN has appeared to abandon news of any sort and instead is doxxing some nobody who made a funny GIF.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politi...eet/index.html

what a buncha pussies
The part where superimposing the CNN logo over a decade old wrestling video is "threatening journalists' obviously.

#cnnblackmail.
Where was that claim made in the story you linked ?
Old 5th July 2017, 08:34 AM   #61
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that was where I was leading, actually.
Then you should have simply stated your position from the start, instead of trying to play stupid games.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:34 AM   #62
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

#cnnblackmail.
That is not fake. That is a matter of interpretation of meaning. Different interpretations are not "fake."
Old 5th July 2017, 08:37 AM   #63
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Let me remind you (again):

Pour encourager les autres.
I don't see that as conceding it's punishment, as I disagree with both your premises and conclusion in post 42.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:37 AM   #64
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I see the words blackmail getting tossed around other places. Generally, blackmail involves the revealing of compromising information. This doesn't involve the reveal of compromising information because the compromising information is public. So not blackmail?
A has made statements that suggest they are gay. I find out that they are from a Muslim community, and I tell them "shut up or I reveal your name." Is it absolved by the fact that the statements are public?
Old 5th July 2017, 08:39 AM   #65
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

CNN said in a statement that the tweet "encourages violence against reporters."

Old 5th July 2017, 08:40 AM   #66
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
A has made statements that suggest they are gay. I find out that they are from a Muslim community, and I tell them "shut up or I reveal your name." Is it absolved by the fact that the statements are public?
Did that person create some form of video that shows the Muslim Community getting clothes lined that could be perceived as approval to beat the **** out of them? Just curious. I like my fake scenarios to be accurate.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:41 AM   #67
plague311
Great minds think...

Because Trump is vocally, and constantly anti-media (unless it's conspiracy theory ******** that's spoken in words small enough he can understand) and has a history of promoting violence against them.

I'm sure you have some stupid emoticon and one line quip for this, but you can save it. Like normal, it won't add anything to the conversation.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:43 AM   #68
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

#cnnblackmail.

So it wasn't in the story you posted, and you use quotes "threatening journalists' but weren't actually quoting anything.

'K
Old 5th July 2017, 08:43 AM   #69
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

On the flipside of that coin, if someone posts anonymously (or pseudonymously) due to fears of retaliation they could be chilled into silence. If (say) a gay man in a muslim community is doxxed in a similar manner the precedent has already been set for it to be acceptable, and honour killings have happened.
And an antisemite in the US is just like a gay man in saudi arabia.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:44 AM   #70
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Just because something doesn't blare in flashing neon lights "go commit violence against reporters" doesn't mean that message isn't there.

This President also has referred to journalists as the "enemy."

When a person reaches the pinnacle of power and authority in the world that Trump has, his behavior and conduct subtly read as a blueprint for what behavior one should engage in to accrue similar benefits.

This doesn't happen at a conscious level, however.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 08:45 AM   #71
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So it wasn't in the story you posted, and you use quotes "threatening journalists' but weren't actually quoting anything.

'K
Hey, great point.

eleven pedant points for Griffendor!
Old 5th July 2017, 08:47 AM   #72
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

There is no doxxing in the story linked.

First post lies about the article, (CNN doxxed someone) and has tripled down so far.

Yep, #fauxconcern about #notdoxxed because CNN (biased liberal media)
reported on one of Trump's tweet attachments.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:47 AM   #73
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Just because something doesn't blare in flashing neon lights "go commit violence against reporters" doesn't mean that message isn't there.

This President also has referred to journalists as the "enemy."

When a person reaches the pinnacle of power and authority in the world that Trump has, his behavior and conduct subtly read as a blueprint for what behavior one should engage in to accrue similar benefits.

This doesn't happen at a conscious level, however.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
well the person #cnnblackmails is threatening ain't the President and pro wrestling ain't real.

Although spinning some shlub on the reddits as the bad guy is another reason why the mutts at CNN keep embarrassing themselves.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:48 AM   #74
Argumemnon
World Maker

That it is your opinion does not make it obvious. You need more than your own opinion in order to support your claim.

Then you should have simply stated your position from the start, instead of trying to play stupid games.
What? How is it a game to point out that being a public figure has nothing to do with it, which you YOURSELF admitted when I pointed it out? If anything YOU were playing games by pretending that it did.

Old 5th July 2017, 08:50 AM   #75
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not interested in absolution. I'm interested if it is blackmail. Even if it isn't blackmail, that doesn't mean the act is ethical.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:55 AM   #76
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Don't make fun of CNN or they will threaten to dox you.

"Extremely unethical."
Old 5th July 2017, 08:57 AM   #77
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Don't make fun of CNN or they will threaten to dox you.

"Extremely unethical."
He is a public figure.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:05 AM   #78
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He is a public figure.
Really? That is funny because CNN said he was a private citizen, but they are going to dox the **** out of him if he dares to make anymore funny gifs making fun of billion dollar corporations.

Might want to "update" your "research."
Old 5th July 2017, 09:05 AM   #79
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Really? That is funny because CNN said he was a private citizen, but they are going to dox the **** out of him if he dares to make anymore funny gifs making fun of billion dollar corporations.

I don't care what CNN thinks. He is a public figure.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:10 AM   #80
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Might want to update your thread title then.

CNN has not doxxed him.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics