ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cnn , media criticism , media incidents

Old 5th July 2017, 11:34 AM   #161
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Of course he has, CNN went out and dug up private details from someone who created a similar gif and extorted him into removing his posts and other content.

despicable.
Extorting someone with the threat of doxxing is not doxxing.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:35 AM   #162
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Which means the title is wrong which is the whole point of the subthread you are commenting on.

I was indirectly commenting on your comment on my certain opinion that the guy had a pistol to his head and didn't write the "apology" himself.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:36 AM   #163
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
How cute, trying to deflect from the fact that you falsely accused me of nitpicking over file endings. Do you acknowledge now that Trump did not use that guy's content as posted on reddit?
No, because I don't know if he did or didn't. I've seen nothing either way. Just because he created one doesn't mean he didn't create the other. Who knows? Certainly not you or I.

I didn't deflect and I stand by it. Way to not address you're a hypocrite when it suits you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:36 AM   #164
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I was indirectly commenting on your comment on my certain opinion that the guy had a pistol to his head and didn't write the "apology" himself.
Okay, makes sense.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:39 AM   #165
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
No, because I don't know if he did or didn't. I've seen nothing either way. Just because he created one doesn't mean he didn't create the other. Who knows? Certainly not you or I.

LOLWUT? The two sources have been linked to. The Trump tweet and the GIF on reddit. Of course both you and I and everybody else can know through simply spending the seconds they run looking at them that what I wrote is true.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:40 AM   #166
Argumemnon
World Maker

No, because I don't know if he did or didn't. I've seen nothing either way.
Plague, if Trump's tweet included sound, then it wasn't sourced from a GIF on reddit. It was probably sourced from whatever the GIF was made from, but it couldn't have been made from the GIF. I think that's CE's point.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:41 AM   #167
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

a basic primer in doxxing

Hi everyone!

As a public service I am going to post a couple of articles about doxxing.

What Is Doxing? "You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world." https://www.wired.com/2014/03/doxing/

Plus, you can dox someone for other purposes: such as here, extortion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

As such, that is how I am using it. Now can we get back on track?

Thanks.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:43 AM   #168
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Plague, if Trump's tweet included sound, then it wasn't sourced from a GIF on reddit. It was probably sourced from whatever the GIF was made from, but it couldn't have been made from the GIF. I think that's CE's point.
And that means that the individual that made the .gif on Reddit could not have also made the .gif that Trump used? Am I understanding this correctly? Or is this just saying it wasn't the exact same? Cause I'm really lost. Just because he made the first does not under any circumstance mean he couldn't have made the second.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:44 AM   #169
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Hi everyone!

What Is Doxing? "You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world." https://www.wired.com/2014/03/doxing/

Thanks.
They are wrong, but that is fine. I will no longer harass you about the title.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:46 AM   #170
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Of course he has, CNN went out and dug up private details from someone who created a similar gif and extorted him into removing his posts and other content.

despicable.
More unsupported assertions and ********
Old 5th July 2017, 11:47 AM   #171
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

How cute, trying to deflect from the fact that you falsely accused me of nitpicking over file endings. Do you acknowledge now that Trump did not use that guy's content as posted on reddit?
See that hilighted bit? Because once you do, then it should become clear that your response is nonsense. Yes, it's possible that this guy created other versions posted elsewhere. But we know that Trump didn't use the reddit version, because it's different. This isn't a maybe. This is actually known with certainty.

You made me defend CE. I don't know if I can ever forgive you for that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:49 AM   #172
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
More unsupported assertions and ********
Irony meter explodes....

sad.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:50 AM   #173
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
See that hilighted bit? Because once you do, then it should become clear that your response is nonsense. Yes, it's possible that this guy created other versions posted elsewhere. But we know that Trump didn't use the reddit version, because it's different. This isn't a maybe. This is actually known with certainty.

You made me defend CE. I don't know if I can ever forgive you for that.
My apologies, I honestly mean that. I seriously didn't think that making that point would even matter as the individual took responsibility for the gif. I forgot about the conspiracy theory angle and was thinking "who gives a **** what the source material was" because it makes no difference.

Old 5th July 2017, 11:50 AM   #174
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Hi everyone!

Thanks.
essentially it means compiling and releasing a dossier of personal information on someone.

Or in TBD world, finding an Internet poster so you can ask them for an interview...
Old 5th July 2017, 11:51 AM   #175
plague311
Great minds think...

essentially it means compiling and releasing a dossier of personal information on someone.

Or in TBD world, finding an Internet poster so you can ask them for an interview...
And then not release any personal info about them at all.

Old 5th July 2017, 11:51 AM   #176
Argumemnon
World Maker

And that means that the individual that made the .gif on Reddit could not have also made the .gif that Trump used? Am I understanding this correctly? Or is this just saying it wasn't the exact same? Cause I'm really lost.
I don't have access to Twitter from here, but GIFs _cannot_ have sound. Trump didn't tweet a GIF from someone if the Tweet video had sound. Ergo he didn't take it from the reddit GIF, and thus not from the other guy unless said guy also had posted the version with sound.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 11:52 AM   #177
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

And then not release any personal info about them at all.

TBD is correct that his acceptable sources define it as merely collecting that information. He is logically correct.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:52 AM   #178
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't have access to Twitter from here, but GIFs _cannot_ have sound. Trump didn't tweet a GIF from someone if the Tweet video had sound. Ergo he didn't take it from the reddit GIF, and thus not from the other guy unless said guy also had posted the version with sound.
Yep, I understand now. To me, it's pointless but I understand

Old 5th July 2017, 11:54 AM   #179
plague311
Great minds think...

TBD is correct that his acceptable sources define it as merely collecting that information. He is logically correct.
Maybe. To me you aren't doxed until the information is released. We are all about technicalities around here though, so plus internet points to whomever caught that distinction.

Old 5th July 2017, 11:54 AM   #180
Argumemnon
World Maker

Yep, I understand now. To me, it's pointless but I understand
I don't see why it's pointless. If the argument is that Hansomething is the source of Trump's video, but the video is taken from an earlier source, then Hanthingamagig isn't Trump's source, and thus the claim that he is, is wrong.

Old 5th July 2017, 11:56 AM   #181
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't see why it's pointless. If the argument is that Hansomething is the source of Trump's video, but the video is taken from an earlier source, then Hanthingamagig isn't Trump's source, and thus the claim that he is, is wrong.
Because the claim is that they didn't use the information from Reddit. It's not that he isn't the one that made the gif or that he wasn't the source, right? They're just saying that the gif used on Reddit isn't the same as the tweet? Am I wrong?

Old 5th July 2017, 11:59 AM   #182
apathoid

Some gif advice for CNN....

Last edited by apathoid; 5th July 2017 at 12:09 PM.
apathoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 12:02 PM   #183
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Meh. With the context of ...
You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world. If you're looking to break into someone's Internet accounts, or take them over via social engineering techniques, doxing is often a key element in that equation

I disagree that this is doxing.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:03 PM   #184
plague311
Great minds think...

Meh. With the context of ...
You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world. If you're looking to break into someone's Internet accounts, or take them over via social engineering techniques, doxing is often a key element in that equation

I disagree that this is doxing.
I agree, that's a fairly loose definition

Old 5th July 2017, 12:05 PM   #185
Argumemnon
World Maker

Because the claim is that they didn't use the information from Reddit.
You have me confused, here. The "claim" I refered to was that Trump used a white nationalist's video in his Tweet. If he didn't, then the claim is wrong. I think that's not pointless, is it?

Old 5th July 2017, 12:17 PM   #186
apathoid

I don't have any dogs in this fight other than to say that CNN needs to grow some stones and stop being so butthurt by all of Trumps trolling. I would be a little pissed if some billion dollar corporation went after me personally because I made fun of them with a harmless gif. It's just pathetic either way, but Juilan Assange seems to think CNN broke the law. Any legal eagles here agree?
apathoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 12:29 PM   #187
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by apathoid View Post
I don't have any dogs in this fight other than to say that CNN needs to grow some stones and stop being so butthurt by all of Trumps trolling. I would be a little pissed if some billion dollar corporation went after me personally because I made fun of them with a harmless gif. It's just pathetic either way, but Juilan Assange seems to think CNN broke the law. Any legal eagles here agree?
I think CNN would have stopped if it didn't come from that subreddit nor was made by someone with a history of bigoted remarks. But this person was such an embodiment of perception of that community that it was newsworthy.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:41 PM   #188
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

"Grow some stones"

How about fight this moron before someone gets seriously hurt? You don't think there exists the possibility that one of the idiots that follow that guy will take his lead and do some damage to employees at CNN?

Do you think the mentally challenged lunatic that shot up a pizza store on republitard's behest is the only one?
Old 5th July 2017, 12:44 PM   #189
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
This thread would be hilarious if it wasn't so obvious that the OP is trying to lie to our faces about completely open information that we can all see. That makes the thread disgusting.

The age of Trump: Facts don't matter.
Exactly.

Doxxing that did not happen?
Redefine the word until it fits your lie.

When redefining the words and rearranging the facts don't work,
just shrug and reply with emojis.

Quote:

despicable.
Factually wrong in many ways.

Gif creator wrote an apology and explained what he did about removing
posts.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:45 PM   #190
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
"Grow some stones"

How about fight this moron before someone gets seriously hurt? You don't think there exists the possibility that one of the idiots that follow that guy will take his lead and do some damage to employees at CNN?

Do you think the mentally challenged lunatic that shot up a pizza store on republitard's behest is the only one?
I think you would have to be noid level confused to interpret this as direction to commit violence.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:48 PM   #191
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

"Grow some stones"

I know right?

How does a news organization "grow some stones"?

Others here think they (CNN) are blackmailing and extorting the poor gif creator!
Old 5th July 2017, 12:54 PM   #192
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Exactly.

Doxxing that did not happen?
Redefine the word until it fits your lie.

When redefining the words and rearranging the facts don't work,
just shrug and reply with emojis.

Factually wrong in many ways.

Gif creator wrote an apology and explained what he did about removing
posts.
Huh, you did not read the actual links that I posted?

Of course you didn't. And after he got doxxed he "apologized" right there to CNN.

Of course CNN had the wrong *********** guy because Trump did not retweet him.

Oh well,
Old 5th July 2017, 12:59 PM   #193
apathoid

"Grow some stones"

Yeah, stones...balls...testicles. If you want to live in a world where making funny memes and gifs is considered a hate crime and worthy of blackmail, public shaming or worse go move to the Middle East. They have the same sort of feelings on the subject. I want to live in a world that cherishes free speech, where people will defend it even if they disagree with it.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:00 PM   #194
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Of course you didn't. And after he got doxxed he "apologized" right there to CNN.

Oh well,

I think you should go back and reread your first link.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 01:01 PM   #195
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Is this any different than discovering the identity of an author publishing under a pseudonym, and informing people they reserve the right to publish the author's identity?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 01:03 PM   #196
Stacko
Philosopher

Never fear racist lunatics are going to protest at the reporters house.
Quote:
For now, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, Kaczynski and his family are the subject of an ongoing harassment campaign that includes the publication of personal information and death threats. And earlier today, the pro-Trump social media personality Michael Cernovich announced a protest outside Kaczynski’s New York home.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 01:03 PM   #197
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Oh well,
Huh, you did not read the actual links that you posted?

The Reddit user who initially claimed credit for President Donald Trump's tweet
and
On Reddit, "HanA**holeSolo" took credit for inspiring the tweet.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:06 PM   #198
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Yeah, stones...balls...testicles. If you want to live in a world where making funny memes and gifs is considered a hate crime and worthy of blackmail, public shaming or worse go move to the Middle East. They have the same sort of feelings on the subject. I want to live in a world that cherishes free speech, where people will defend it even if they disagree with it.
Do you even know what happened ?

Now the user is apologizing, writing in a lengthy post on Reddit that he does not advocate violence against the press and expressing remorse there and in an interview with CNN for other posts he made that were racist and anti-Semitic.

No one is limiting his speech, he is just too much of a pussy ( to use TBD words from the OP) to own up to what he wrote in public.

He has freedom of speech, not freedom from consequence.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 5th July 2017 at 01:08 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 01:07 PM   #199
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think you should go back and reread your first link.
goes back and re-reads the link.

Yeah, just what I said: "You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world."

Now why would you want to do that?? Extortion mayhaps?

Yes, extortion.
Old 5th July 2017, 01:08 PM   #200
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

goes back and re-reads the link.

Yeah, just what I said: "You can also have someone's dox without actually revealing it to the world."

Now why would you want to do that?? Extortion mayhaps?

Yes, extortion.
If we are speculating, I'm going to go with Occam's razor and because it is was an interesting and newsworthy story, like Cecil the lion.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 5th July 2017 at 01:09 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics