ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Jeremy Corbyn , labour party , Seumas Milne , uk politics

Old 25th July 2019, 05:24 AM   #41
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
It depends. And that's pretty much exactly the sticking point here.

If people are 'Anti-American' in that they object to the actions of the country, its politics, what it stands for etc then no.

If people are 'Anti-American' in that they hate American people because of the actions of the country then yes.

If I decide to, for example, boycott Coca-Cola because of Trump then I am not being prejudiced against Americans.

And that would be very different in nature to finding out where an American family live near me and scrawling 'Trump is a racist' on their door.
Anti-American as in they judge the actions/motivations of the US by different standards than they do other nations that are aligned differently. The prejudice I was speaking of is against the country, not necessarily the citizens of that country.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 05:41 AM   #42
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Anti-American as in they judge the actions/motivations of the US by different standards than they do other nations that are aligned differently. The prejudice I was speaking of is against the country, not necessarily the citizens of that country.
Well you are assuming that they are judging the US by different standards and I don't think that has been shown to be true.

But in any case if they are anti-American or Anti-Israel it is different than being Anti-Semitic. Can we therefore agree that people do direct dislike towards countries other than Israel and that people can dislike Israel for reasons other then hating Jews?

Even if you consider that to be unfair criticism of America or Israel it does not mean it is religious prejudice or bigotry.
Old 26th July 2019, 05:09 AM   #43
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
But in any case if they are anti-American or Anti-Israel it is different than being Anti-Semitic. Can we therefore agree that people do direct dislike towards countries other than Israel and that people can dislike Israel for reasons other then hating Jews?
Find someone who thinks these things are true before we discuss the need to agree that they are not.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #44
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Find someone who thinks these things are true before we discuss the need to agree that they are not.
Well we started this discussion because you seemed to believe that Israel was unique in attracting criticism as a country. So we have established that's not correct, right?

Your other accusations that anti-Semitism amplifies substantially criticism of Israel is as yet unproven I think. And probably very difficult to prove.

As I said previously the whole situation is muddied by Israel styling itself as an ethnostate.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics