ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bose-Einstein condensates , cold fusion , Coulomb barrier , Eugene Podkletnov , Frank Znidarsic , planck's constant , quantum mechanics , quantum theory , Quantum Transition

Old 11th August 2019, 11:47 PM   #361
trevorjjj
New Blood

Good grief, this was YEARS ago, I'll never find it.

It was a COLO(U)R presentation, but I suspect it got 'leaked'.

Whatever................
trevorjjj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:26 AM   #362
trevorjjj
New Blood

Well, I did TRY to find it....

I'm thinking, I remember linking it to a forum, that's next.
trevorjjj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:54 AM   #363
trevorjjj
New Blood

This ISN'T IT - and I cant post links yet: 2013

LENR is absolutely nothing like either fission or fusion. Where fission and fusion are underpinned by strong nuclear force, LENR harnesses power from weak nuclear force — but capturing this energy is difficult. So far, NASA’s best effort involves a nickel lattice and hydrogen ions. The hydrogen ions are sucked into the nickel lattice, and then the lattice is oscillated at a very high frequency (between 5 and 30 terahertz). This oscillation excites the nickel’s electrons, which are forced into the hydrogen ions (protons), forming slow-moving neutrons. The nickel immediately absorbs these neutrons, making it unstable. To regain its stability, the nickel strips a neutron of its electron so that it becomes a proton — a reaction that turns the nickel into copper and creates a lot of energy in the process.

According to NASA, 1% of the world’s nickel production could meet the world’s energy needs, at a quarter of the cost of coal. NASA also mentions, almost as an aside, that the lattice could be formed of carbon instead of nickel, with the nuclear reaction turning carbon into nitrogen. “You’re not sequestering carbon, you’re totally removing carbon from the system,” says Joseph Zawodny, a NASA scientist involved with the work on LENR.

Last edited by trevorjjj; 12th August 2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:41 AM   #364
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by trevorjjj View Post

LENR is absolutely nothing like either fission or fusion. Where fission and fusion are underpinned by strong nuclear force, LENR harnesses power from weak nuclear force — but capturing this energy is difficult. So far, NASA’s best effort involves a nickel lattice and hydrogen ions. The hydrogen ions are sucked into the nickel lattice, and then the lattice is oscillated at a very high frequency (between 5 and 30 terahertz). This oscillation excites the nickel’s electrons, which are forced into the hydrogen ions (protons), forming slow-moving neutrons. The nickel immediately absorbs these neutrons, making it unstable. To regain its stability, the nickel strips a neutron of its electron so that it becomes a proton — a reaction that turns the nickel into copper and creates a lot of energy in the process.

According to NASA, 1% of the world’s nickel production could meet the world’s energy needs, at a quarter of the cost of coal. NASA also mentions, almost as an aside, that the lattice could be formed of carbon instead of nickel, with the nuclear reaction turning carbon into nitrogen. “You’re not sequestering carbon, you’re totally removing carbon from the system,” says Joseph Zawodny, a NASA scientist involved with the work on LENR.
None of the above is evidenced.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:22 AM   #365
trevorjjj
New Blood

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

No comment.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #366
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Correct. I also note that, 30 years after Pons and Fleischman's claims, we have yet to see a practical application of cold fusion, LENR, or whatever you want to call it, and if it worked as claimed, it would be ridiculously simple to put the apparatus in a pressure vessel, boil water, and generate electricity, and make lots of money. From this I can conclude that one of two things is the case.

1. Cold fusion / LENR doesn't exist.

2. It exists, but can't be made to happen consistently or reliably enough to be of any practical use.

I think number one is by far the most likely.

Last edited by CORed; 12th August 2019 at 11:34 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:09 PM   #367
trevorjjj
New Blood

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Correct. I also note that, 30 years after Pons and Fleischman's claims, we have yet to see a practical application of cold fusion, LENR, or whatever you want to call it, and if it worked as claimed, it would be ridiculously simple to put the apparatus in a pressure vessel, boil water, and generate electricity, and make lots of money. From this I can conclude that one of two things is the case.

1. Cold fusion / LENR doesn't exist.

2. It exists, but can't be made to happen consistently or reliably enough to be of any practical use.

I think number one is by far the most likely.

Only 2 possibilities?

That's a somewhat superficial analysis.
Old 12th August 2019, 01:47 PM   #368
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

LENR ...
An electronics magazine has an 2013 article spouting LENR non-science, possibly lies about LENR being worked on at NASA (no experiments or papers listed) and gets 1 quote from Joseph Zawodny.

This is Joseph Zawodny - no LENR work there. This is Joseph Zawodny's blog with 1 energy on LENR on January 14th, 2012 where he emphasizes that it is his personal opinion and nothing to do with NASA. He is talking about a video placed on a NASA web site about a patent application regarding Andrea Rossi's crank e-cat device.
Statement by Dr. Joseph Zawodny on LENR
Quote:
There have been many attempts to twist the release of this video into NASA’s support for LENR or as proof that Rossi’s e-cat really works.

In my scientific opinion, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I find a distinct absence of the latter. So let me be very clear here. While I personally find sufficient demonstration that LENR effects warrant further investigation, I remain skeptical. Furthermore, I am unaware of any clear and convincing demonstrations of any viable commercial device producing useful amounts of net energy.
ETA: There is also a Dennis Bushnell cited in the electronics magazine article , a NASA scientist with a personal belief in LENR.

Also read the Wikipedia cold fusion article where there is no current research in the US by governmental agencies. The main researchers were the United States Navy up to maybe 2004. A Department of Energy (DOE) review of the field concluded that the evidence was too dubious to justify a federal programme of research.

There are only 2 possibilities: Cold fusion/LENR/CANR/LANR/CMNS either exists or does not exist!
40 years of empirical evidence says that if cold fusion exists it is not consistent or reliable enough to be of any practical use. One team says they get excess heat. Another team tries and fails to replicate their results. No way to reliably produce results = no practical use. Think about building nuclear power plants where we know that say half of them will not work and none of then will produce much electricity !
The known to be working laws of physics say that cold fusion does not exist.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th August 2019 at 02:21 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #369
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

So far, NASA’s best effort...
To emphasize how the electronics magazine article lies, that is not NASA’s explanation for LENR for the simple reason that NASA has none!
The article describes Widom-Larsen theory, a dubious speculation about protons capturing "heavy" lattice elections to form slow moving neutrons.
On the idea of low energy nuclear reactions in metallic lattices by producing neutrons from protons capturing "heavy" electrons

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th August 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:53 AM   #370
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Only 2 possibilities?

That's a somewhat superficial analysis.
Suggest a third, then.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 03:49 AM   #371
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The rule about not being able to post links until you have a certain number of posts is an anti-spambot device, and something that the mods are happy for people to work around. If you want to post a url break it in some way (such as adding spaces before and after the dots) and someone else will post an unbroken version of the link for you. This is perfectly legal on this board.
Old 18th August 2019, 12:54 PM   #372
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No comment.
Which is to say you have no evidence.
Old 19th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #373
trevorjjj
New Blood

You have no comment either, beyond a claim to telepathy.
Old 19th August 2019, 04:17 PM   #374
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

There is no credible evidence that supports LENR, e.g. people reliably finding fusion neutrons and radiation (which kind of kills the researchers !).

No telepathy needed to see you have no such evidence since you have not presented any evidence supporting LENR!
An electronics magazine has an 2013 article spouting LENR non-science, possibly lies about LENR being worked on at NASA (no experiments or papers listed) and gets 1 quote from Joseph Zawodny is not evidence that LENR exists.

Last edited by Reality Check; 19th August 2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 19th August 2019, 04:21 PM   #375
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not making a claim, you are. What evidence do you have?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology