ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bose-Einstein condensates , cold fusion , Coulomb barrier , Eugene Podkletnov , Frank Znidarsic , planck's constant , quantum mechanics , quantum theory , Quantum Transition

Old 2nd February 2011, 04:28 PM   #281
Chronopolitan
Student

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Be careful... photons - unlike neutrinos - actually have zero (rest) mass, yet they still interact via gravity. Ever heard of gravitational lensing?
Sorry to ask again.... so if light can be bent by (large) gravity, does this mean the light waves/particles themselves are affected?
Or is it just spacetime that is bent and light follows whatever that curvature leads to?
Chronopolitan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:33 PM   #282
Chronopolitan
Student

Why do you assume this? What is your evidence for such "vortices" and how exactly do they fit into modern physical theories? Heck, what is your definition of a "vortex"?
Well, if you take water as a medium, there's vortices everywhere, meaning: circular motion. Like in the shower the drain will cause the water to form a vortex? Vortices I think are a subset of waves in general.

I find it hard to imagine a world abound with waves, but no vortices. Black Holes form vortices, temperature difference in climate form vortices (there's one right over Australia just now...).
What is the analogy in particle/wave physics? Is it "spin"?

Last edited by Chronopolitan; 2nd February 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Chronopolitan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:38 PM   #283
Chronopolitan
Student

Originally Posted by Dilb View Post
and if the frequency of the light is the same as the frequency of the atom transition (which is the same as saying the photon has the same energy as the excited state)
That's interesting. That's pretty much what FZ writes in his paper. Except, he models it as some kind of "impedance matching", and he believes the vibration is always at 1,094... Mhz/m...
What could he mean?
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:02 PM   #284
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Chronopolitan View Post
Sorry to ask again.... so if light can be bent by (large) gravity, does this mean the light waves/particles themselves are affected?
Or is it just spacetime that is bent and light follows whatever that curvature leads to?
Both. Light (photons) are affected in other ways by gravity, such as gravitational redshifting. My point is that even if you were to assume that neutrinos had no mass, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't interact via gravity.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:35 AM   #285
khan2012
New Blood

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter#Composition

Quote:
Historically, three categories of dark matter candidates have been postulated.[49] The categories cold, warm, and hot refer to the speed at which the particles are traveling rather than an actual temperature.

* Cold dark matter – objects that move at classical velocities[50]
* Warm dark matter – particles that move relativistically
* Hot dark matter – particles that move ultrarelativistically[51]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weakly_interacting_massive_particles

Quote:
In astrophysics, weakly interacting massive particles or WIMPs, are hypothetical particles serving as one possible solution to the dark matter problem. These particles interact through the weak nuclear force and gravity, and possibly through other interactions no stronger than the weak force. Because they do not interact with electromagnetism they cannot be seen directly, and because they do not interact with the strong nuclear force they do not react strongly with atomic nuclei.

This combination of properties gives WIMPs many of the properties of neutrinos, save for being far more massive and therefore slower.

phy.duke.edu/courses/055/syllabus/lecture25.pdf

Quote:
Dark matter must be mostly cold (slowmoving)
in order for galaxy formation to occur

WIMPS appear to be a very good candidate for dark matter.

Mechanical vibrations - within atoms - seems to be a reasonable assumption, yes?

Phonons can tunnel across a vacuum

physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/44027

Quote:
Heat can be conducted across a nanometre-sized vacuum gap – something that was deemed impossible until now. So say researchers at the Air Force Research Laboratory in Ohio who have found that the heat is transferred via an effect called "phonon tunnelling" in which quantized molecular vibrations, called phonons, appear to traverse the forbidden zone.

Electrons can communicate with each other via phonon interaction, according to the hyperphysics site

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/coop.html#c2

Quote:
multiple electrons can't collect into a single state because of the Pauli exclusion principle. Froehlich was first to suggest that the electrons act as pairs coupled by lattice vibrations in the material. This coupling is viewed as an exchange of phonons, phonons being the quanta of lattice vibration energy. Experimental corroboration of an interaction with the lattice was provided by the isotope effect on the superconducting transition temperature. The boson-like behavior of such electron pairs was further investigated by Cooper and they are called "Cooper pairs". The condensation of Cooper pairs is the foundation of the BCS theory of superconductivity.
khan2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:11 AM   #286
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by khan2012 View Post

Mechanical vibrations - within atoms - seems to be a reasonable assumption, yes?
Not as dark matter, no.

The distribution of dark matter (calculated from observations) is not the same as the visible matter.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:14 AM   #287
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar...er#Composition

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wea...sive_particles

http://www.phy.duke.edu/courses/055/.../lecture25.pdf

WIMPS appear to be a very good candidate for dark matter.

Phonons can tunnel across a vacuum

www.physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/44027

Electrons can communicate with each other via phonon interaction, according to the hyperphysics site

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/coop.html#c2
Added urls
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 3rd February 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:16 AM   #288
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry Khan2012 the phonons don't really tunnel:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/44027
Quote:
According to the AFRL team, the phonon tunnelling is driven by electric fields between the two objects. These electric fields, which exist because the work functions (the minimum of the tip and sample materials) are different, cause the microscope tip and its "image charge" inside a sample to vibrate in unison. In other words, the electric fields at the tip apex cause electrons in the top layer of the gold surface to vibrate at the same rate.
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:24 AM   #289
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

I find it hard to imagine a world abound with waves, but no vortices.
I take it you've never played guitar, or any other stringed instrument? Plenty of waves on those strings, but no vortices. Just because it's possible for waves to create vortices in some conditions does not mean that all waves must always produce vortices, or that all vortices must be a result of waves.

Quote:
Like in the shower the drain will cause the water to form a vortex? Vortices I think are a subset of waves in general.

I find it hard to imagine a world abound with waves, but no vortices. Black Holes form vortices, temperature difference in climate form vortices
Don't you find it a little odd that none of your examples of vortices actually have anything to do with waves?
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:13 AM   #290
Chronopolitan
Student

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
I take it you've never played guitar, or any other stringed instrument? Plenty of waves on those strings, but no vortices.
That's why I said I couldn't imagine a WORLD without vortices, not string instrument. Although you might consider your guitar a world of its own...

Quote:
Just because it's possible for waves to create vortices in some conditions does not mean that all waves must always produce vortices, or that all vortices must be a result of waves.
That has nothing to do with my statement, and the second part of your statement might just be false.

Quote:
Don't you find it a little odd that none of your examples of vortices actually have anything to do with waves?
Oh, there are no waves in a fluid? A source of mechanical pull like gravity through a hole in your shower won't cause any waves?
I don't think so...
Maybe someone can clarify this.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:18 AM   #291
Chronopolitan
Student

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
I take it you've never played guitar, or any other stringed instrument? Plenty of waves on those strings, but no vortices.
On second thought, there ARE vortices in a guitar. When the string ploughs through the air after being released from your plectron, the air will form vortices in a direction opposite to the movement.
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:41 AM   #292
ben m

On second thought, there ARE vortices in a guitar. When the string ploughs through the air after being released from your plectron, the air will form vortices in a direction opposite to the movement.
Not generally true. It depends on the details (frequency, amplitude, air pressure/density/viscosity).
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2011, 09:56 AM   #293
Chronopolitan
Student

Now look at THIS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ny_Teknik

in this piece:
http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energ...cle3081694.ece

"“We will open up a heating plant of one megawatt in Athens, Greece this Fall,” Andrea Rossi told Ny Teknik.
Rossi is the inventor of the ‘energy catalyst’ demonstrated recently in Italy, that is based possibly on cold fusion."

*WTF*?!

EDIT:
And here's the interview with observing Prof. Giuseppe Levi (Univ. of Bologna)
http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energ...cle3083834.ece

Does anyone know this guy?

This seems too elaborate to be a hoax...

Last edited by Chronopolitan; 4th February 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 4th February 2011, 10:02 AM   #294
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Well, we'll find out by the end of the year. I expect delays in starting operation and a series of excuses followed by calls on the investors for additional funding, but I may be pleasantly surprised...

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2011, 10:12 AM   #295
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ny_Teknik

in this piece:
http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energ...cle3081694.ece

"“We will open up a heating plant of one megawatt in Athens, Greece this Fall,” Andrea Rossi told Ny Teknik.
Rossi is the inventor of the ‘energy catalyst’ demonstrated recently in Italy, that is based possibly on cold fusion."

*WTF*?!

EDIT:
And here's the interview with observing Prof. Giuseppe Levi (Univ. of Bologna)
http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energ...cle3083834.ece

Does anyone know this guy?

This is a derail, not on topic.
You should read this thread.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=198040
Old 4th February 2011, 09:51 PM   #296
INRM
Philosopher

Is this a Grand Unified Theory or a Theory of Everything?
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2011, 11:52 PM   #297
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I call wishful thinking at best, a scam at worst.
Old 5th February 2011, 12:01 AM   #298
khan2012
New Blood

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Sorry Khan2012 the phonons don't really tunnel:

focus.aps.org/story/v26/st15

Yes, but there appears to be a strong electron phonon coupling going on
khan2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 06:09 AM   #299
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

focus.aps.org/story/v26/st15

Yes, but there appears to be a strong electron phonon coupling going on
http://focus.aps.org/story/v26/st15

Yup by standard em fieldds I would guess.

Quote:
The warm tip transfers heat through its fluctuating electric fields, which jiggle electrons in the surface

Last edited by Dancing David; 5th February 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:05 AM   #300
Chronopolitan
Student

ok, back to the topic...

khan2012, what do you make of FZs papers?
Old 5th February 2011, 03:51 PM   #301
khan2012
New Blood

ok, back to the topic...

khan2012, what do you make of FZs papers?
I wonder if it is possible to derive Newton's universal gravitational constant G - using Znidarsic's transitional velocity constant V_t
Old 5th February 2011, 04:04 PM   #302
Chronopolitan
Student

I wonder if it is possible to derive Newton's universal gravitational constant G - using Znidarsic's transitional velocity constant V_t
Well, off you go! Take a bunch of equations and solve the puzzle

But seriously, what he tries to do is to transform Planck's Constant into an equation that holds the possibility to be used in something that makes sense.

Why don't you try to derive some values that actually matter?

Let's calculate some radii of bigger atoms or something like that.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:23 PM   #303
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Aw, look at them, playing with the crackpot papers.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:26 PM   #304
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

*yawn*
Old 5th February 2011, 04:34 PM   #305
Chronopolitan
Student

I haven't seen any of you actually using "vt" to test the crackpot theory on various stuff.

Please do me the favor and try.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:38 PM   #306
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I haven't seen any of you actually using "vt" to test the crackpot theory on various stuff.

Please do me the favor and try.
The people espousing the "vt theory" should be the ones attempting to test it, not us. The burden of proof is upon them to provide evidence for their claims; so far, as you said, all we've seen here is crackpot stuff. Not very impressive.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:44 PM   #307
Chronopolitan
Student

The people espousing the "vt theory" should be the ones attempting to test it, not us. The burden of proof is upon them to provide evidence for their claims; so far, as you said, all we've seen here is crackpot stuff. Not very impressive.
Something I found:
http://jila.colorado.edu/content/mysterious-fermi-gap

Maybe you want to try using "vt" with that one...
You're the physicist, please do me the favor.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:44 PM   #308
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Planck's constant times my girth* gives the solution for the universal field equation.

Disprove that, "physicists"!

*May be interpreted according to taste.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:45 PM   #309
khan2012
New Blood

A working prototype needs to be constructed and plans distributed freely. Forget about the patent office...

Old 5th February 2011, 04:51 PM   #310
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

A working prototype needs to be constructed and plans distributed freely. Forget about the patent office...

Key word there... it implies that the device actually works.
Old 5th February 2011, 04:52 PM   #311
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Something I found:
http://jila.colorado.edu/content/mysterious-fermi-gap

Maybe you want to try using "vt" with that one...
You're the physicist, please do me the favor.
No. Ask FZ to do it; it's his theory after all. The burden of proof is upon him to justify the correctness of his ideas, not upon the rest of the world to prove those ideas are wrong. Period.
Old 5th February 2011, 05:02 PM   #312
Chronopolitan
Student

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Planck's constant times my girth* gives the solution for the universal field equation.

Disprove that, "physicists"!

*May be interpreted according to taste.
Well, how about this one:

We are able to see about 13.700.000.000 lightyears into space.
That accounts for every direction.
We are at the center of a sphere with that radius.
This distance equals the distance light has traveled after the "Big Bang" (minus the horizon we cannot look behind)
That's what people say.

So, NOW is on earth, the rest is the past.

From "outside" (which doesn't exist), the universe started as a singularity (where laws are not applicable) then created spacetime and expanded rapidly since. From "outside", NOW is at the edge of the expanding universe.

It is not possible to take on both views at the same time unless you consider both the edge of the universe and its center the same.... point.

A point without a reference frame does not exist unless it's a singularity.

Therefore, there is only singularity. (Which can be interpreted as... let's say, G*D).
Old 5th February 2011, 05:20 PM   #313
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Well, how about this one:

We are able to see about 13.700.000.000 lightyears into space.
That accounts for every direction.
We are at the center of a sphere with that radius.
This distance equals the distance light has traveled after the "Big Bang" (minus the horizon we cannot look behind)
That's what people say.
Wrong, this is a common misconception. You neglect to take into account the expansion of spacetime since the big bang, so the distance this light has traveled is actually closer to 46 billion LY - here's a reference on this point.

Quote:
So, NOW is on earth, the rest is the past.
A more accurate way to say it is that the further away we look, the further back in time we are seeing due to the finite speed of light. This applies on Earth just as much as beyond Earth; it's only a question of degree.

Quote:
From "outside" (which doesn't exist), the universe started as a singularity (where laws are not applicable) then created spacetime and expanded rapidly since. From "outside", NOW is at the edge of the expanding universe.
You really need to read up more on the idea of a cosmic horizon - here's something to get you started: observable universe and Hubble volume.

Quote:
It is not possible to take on both views at the same time unless you consider both the edge of the universe and its center the same.... point.

A point without a reference frame does not exist unless it's a singularity.
This seems like gibberish to me.

Quote:
Therefore, there is only singularity. (Which can be interpreted as... let's say, G*D).
The Religion & Philosophy subforum is that-a-way ==>
Old 5th February 2011, 06:20 PM   #314
khan2012
New Blood

alienscientist.com/ag2.html

Quote:

Frank Znidarsic and The Velocity of the Transitional Quantum State

Frank Znidarsic noticed that when you multiplied the frequency times the wavelength in both the Podkletnov, and the Cold Fusion experiments, the same velocity emerged... After puzzling over what this Velocity could be, he got some insight from reading the book "What is Quantum Mechanics" by the LEX foundation in which they talked about the Transitional Quantum state and how the Velocity of the Transitional Quantum state is unknown. Frank reasoned that this velocity was that of the Quantum Transition and worked out a method by which it could be used to derive Planck's Constant.

[...]

alienscientist.com/ag4.html

The Transitional Quantum State It consists of a vibrating Bose condensate. The vibration of a Bose condensate at this dimensional frequency of 1.094 megahertz-meters appears to increase the strength of the phonons that bind the condensate. This increased strength invites nuclear participation. Superconductors and proton conductors can be externally vibrated to harness the effect. This new understanding of the process of the quantum transition may allow a multi-bodied macroscopic object to be placed into a state of quantum transition. Trillions of atoms may be enjoined within a single state of quantum transition. Strong gravitational and long-range nuclear effects will be produced. The long-range nuclear effects may be used for the production of energy and the reduction of nuclear waste. The strong gravitational effects may be used for propulsion.
Old 5th February 2011, 07:20 PM   #315
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Quote:

Frank Znidarsic and The Velocity of the Transitional Quantum State
The Transitional Quantum State It consists of a vibrating Bose condensate. The vibration of a Bose condensate at this dimensional frequency of 1.094 megahertz-meters appears to increase the strength of the phonons that bind the condensate.

Well, so frequency is measured in MegaHertz-meters these days. Who knew? Should make for an even more interesting result when you multiply frequency by wavelength.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 07:27 PM   #316
khan2012
New Blood

On some web pages Vt is referred to as 1.094 x 106 meters/sec
Old 5th February 2011, 07:33 PM   #317
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

On some web pages Vt is referred to as 1.094 x 106 meters/sec
Could be, but right there in the section you quoted and then I highlighted, it is frequency that's being discussed.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 07:40 PM   #318
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
Could be, but right there in the section you quoted and then I highlighted, it is frequency that's being discussed.
You got your frequency in my velocity!
Old 5th February 2011, 07:46 PM   #319
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

From your link...

Quote:
... Frank Znidarsic rearranged Coulomb's constants into the form of the elastic energy of a spring. together they equal a group constant K. The variable 1/r remains the same. The strength of the electric field varies with distance r away from the electron and this is reflected in this variable elastic constant. The speed of sound also varies at different locations within the electron. ...
Wrong, the electric field varies as 1/r2 around an electron (or any other point-like source charge). For a "physicist" doing such important research to not understand this basic teaching from high school physics is kind of laughable.

Quote:
... The condition of the velocity of light was set equal to the condition produced by the velocity of sound within the nuclear and thus, electronic structure. The velocity of a wave in medium is determined by the stiffness of that medium. The greater the strength of the forces within the medium, the faster the wave propagates. This is why sound travels faster in steel than in water. In the case where all the waves are going at the same velocity the strength of the forces between the components is the same. This implies that the strength of the electromagnetic, gravitomagentic, and nuclear forces converge under this condition. ...
FZ seems to be confusing the elasticity of a medium and the speed at which sound waves propagate through it with the index of refraction of a medium and the speed at which light travels through it. The mechanisms are different, yet he seems to indicate they're the same. And can anyone name one material in which light & sound travel at the same velocity? WTF

And then there's more mish-mash of talk about gravitational anomalies, Bose-Einstein condensates, and the like. More of the same crankery, it seems. If this is the best that FZ can do, it's no wonder I've never heard of him before.

Message to FZ:

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 5th February 2011 at 07:50 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 07:59 PM   #320
khan2012
New Blood

From your link...

Wrong, the electric field varies as 1/r2 around an electron (or any other point-like source charge).
That seems to be a really huge mistake on the part of the AlienScientist, yes...

Damn sloppy

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology