ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 25th December 2014, 08:01 PM   #81
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
I would like to hear more about NZ and island social situation and politics as we really hear very little in the UK.
It's understandable we don't make much news: at 124th in the population stakes we're a little smaller than Ireland, but a lot bigger on size, being fairly equivalent with UK in area.

The big change in NZ over the past 30 years has been a fast population shift from 80% white Euro to a genuinely cosmopolitan mix, heavily influenced by our rich near-neighbours in China & Asia. We now have a high Asian percentage, Auckland has long been the biggest Polynesian city on the planet and we're pretty diverse.

Social isolation means many people have a siege mentality, but we consistently rate as one of the best & happiest places in the world.

Fairly innovative, boxing well above our weight in business, agriculture & some sports, it's not a bad place. Made a little expensive by our isolation, we have a reasonable standard of living.

Historically significant as the cradle of universal enfranchisement, women's suffrage, social welfare and racial equality.

Not perfect, but not too bad.
Old 25th December 2014, 10:13 PM   #82
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Atheist.

What you are doing is avoiding saying what is so bad about the new law you are so vocally against.

That pretty much everyone apart from the Aussie voted for
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2014, 11:02 PM   #83
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
What you are doing is avoiding saying what is so bad about the new law you are so vocally against.
No; I've said it several times.

Since Magna Carta, we have had certain freedoms inherent in our lives. They are being eroded in the name of a baseless fear, granting power to governments and agencies they should not have.

We are falling into the same trap USA and UK have, and for no reason at all.

The last New Zealander to die on NZ soil in a terrorist attack was in Wellington 30 years ago when Ernie Abbott was killed at Trades Hall. The only other terrorist attack on NZ soil was carried out by the French Government.

And we institute spying on Kiwis.

Tell me"why do you think it's a good thing that the government is collecting data on law-abiding citizens?
Old 25th December 2014, 11:22 PM   #84
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They arent. other coutries maybe, but that is another issue.

The SIS can using GCSB resources with the correct warrants. Which is why even Helen agreed with , but again this is a different issue and needs warrants.

If the 24 hour thing kicks in the data cant be used unless retrospectively proven warranted..

We arent living in a george orwell novel
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2014, 06:23 PM   #85
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

They arent.
Well, since that agrees with what I'm saying, I don't see much else.

I know we're not living in 1984, but I'm not about to sign up for a telescreen voluntarily. Some of the current parallels with the book provide me with endless entertainment and humour, though.
Old 28th December 2014, 12:37 AM   #86
bit_pattern

Saw this and thought of you guys

bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 06:44 AM   #87
Tatyana
Illuminator

One of the things I liked about New Zealand was people walking around barefoot in the summer.

For those of you who have not been to New Zealand, this is not some hippy thing at some outdoor campsite, this is more like seeing a middle class mum walking into a nice mall without any shoes on.

It happened so often with all sorts of people, it was really amusing.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 07:57 AM   #88
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

One of the things I liked about New Zealand was people walking around barefoot in the summer.

For those of you who have not been to New Zealand, this is not some hippy thing at some outdoor campsite, this is more like seeing a middle class mum walking into a nice mall without any shoes on.

Not an entirely uncommon sight in Australia either, though not so much Melbourne and Hobart.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 08:10 AM   #89
MG1962

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Not perfect, but not too bad.
An answer a surprisingly number of countries in our world could not give
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 08:11 AM   #90
MG1962

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Not an entirely uncommon sight in Australia either, though not so much Melbourne and Hobart.
Well being hot enough to fry eggs on a footpath does discourage such activities.
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2014, 02:27 PM   #91
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

20 years ago, when my oldest was in year 1 at school, I overheard a Pommy couple talking between themselves about the poverty at the school meaning kids were turning up barefoot.
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:13 AM   #92
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That has always cracked me up. In Canterbury we aleaus ealked to svhool barefoot in the summer and then put our shoes on. It is something I think the poms dont get
Old 3rd January 2015, 05:01 AM   #93
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

That has always cracked me up. In Canterbury we aleaus ealked to svhool barefoot in the summer and then put our shoes on. It is something I think the poms dont get
9:13 pm on a Saturday, I'm thinking a couple of Monteiths might explain these typos.

Incidentally, they make some pretty good beer, Monteiths (although their legal battle to retain the trademark to Radler, a style of beer from Germany of which the beer they call Monteith's Radler isn't even an example (a true Radler is a half and half Lager and Lemonade, similar to a Shandy) was ridiculous. Even more ridiculous was that they won). I hear that 42 below Vodka is pretty good too.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.

Last edited by Damien Evans; 3rd January 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:11 PM   #94
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Damien. It is called being already useless at spelling while using a phone keyboard.

But feel free to assume awsy
Old 4th January 2015, 06:59 AM   #95
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Damien. It is called being already useless at spelling while using a phone keyboard.

But feel free to assume awsy
Beers are more fun than accidental typos, I heartily recommend Beer for all our typo causing needs.

(That sounded way funnier in my head)
Old 19th January 2015, 12:18 PM   #96
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The Royal New Zealand Navy has been on an Antarctic Ocean expedition to catch illegal fishing and the results are in!

Poachers 1, RNZN 0

But they took pictures and everything...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11388788
Old 19th January 2015, 12:58 PM   #97
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The Royal New Zealand Navy has been on an Antarctic Ocean expedition to catch illegal fishing and the results are in!

Poachers 1, RNZN 0

But they took pictures and everything...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11388788
You ever tried to board a ship from a rubber dinghy in the middle of an antarctic ocean full of iceburgs?

If not. Your point is pointless

They have all the info on the ships, the company , they captains and the nation they come from.

The fact they even found them is impressive.

Obviously you would prefer the sea sheppard idiots yelling at them through a loud hailer and trying to kill their own crew
Old 19th January 2015, 01:50 PM   #98
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The fact that it isn't easy is irrelevant.

The fact that they were running low on fuel while a couple of rustbuckets weren't is a damning indictment on navy planning and execution.

They do own a supply ship, HMNZS Endeavour.

The "evidence" collected will be worth nothing and will lead to no convictions and won't stop the fish being eaten. The ownership isn't even known on the ships.

As you can see from both the picture in that clip and the stills at the end of this video, boarding from a rubber dinghy with armed men would have been a piece of absolute cake - it was like a millpond some of the time.

And not an iceberg in sight.

The navy has failed, which is no surprise, given the years of mis-management and poor purchases driven by political expedience instead of usability.

If you're going to try to stop poaching of fish, you need to try a lot harder than this feeble effort.

At least Sea Shepherd get in their faces, and yes, I would prefer that. Amateurs outperforming alleged professionals.
Old 19th January 2015, 05:20 PM   #99
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The fact that it isn't easy is irrelevant.

The fact that they were running low on fuel while a couple of rustbuckets weren't is a damning indictment on navy planning and execution.

They do own a supply ship, HMNZS Endeavour.

The "evidence" collected will be worth nothing and will lead to no convictions and won't stop the fish being eaten. The ownership isn't even known on the ships.

As you can see from both the picture in that clip and the stills at the end of this video, boarding from a rubber dinghy with armed men would have been a piece of absolute cake - it was like a millpond some of the time.

And not an iceberg in sight.

The navy has failed, which is no surprise, given the years of mis-management and poor purchases driven by political expedience instead of usability.

If you're going to try to stop poaching of fish, you need to try a lot harder than this feeble effort.

At least Sea Shepherd get in their faces, and yes, I would prefer that. Amateurs outperforming alleged professionals.
The captain, unlike the sea shepherd idiots put the safety of his crew ahead of being an idiot.

He left the throwing acid and ramming ships and sinking them to Watson, who even the freaks of greenpeace think is an idiot
Old 19th January 2015, 10:03 PM   #100
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I have a solution, but I doubt anyone else would like it. Permanent confiscation of the boat via 20mm rounds and a impound lot on the bottom of the ocean. Crew gets a warning to remove themselves from the about to be confiscated and decommissioned vessel, and then once those willing to be evacuated to a nearby rescue ship are removed, it is dealt with in a permanent manner.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2015, 10:07 PM   #101
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

For illegal fishing?

Bit over kill
Old 19th January 2015, 10:24 PM   #102
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

For illegal fishing?

Bit over kill
We crush the cars of boy racers....

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2015, 10:25 PM   #103
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They normally arent in them
Old 19th January 2015, 10:33 PM   #104
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They normally arent in them
Some would say that is a shame, but I did say that they'd have the chance to get off first, even give them a free trip home, if they refused, well, that's really their choice isn't it.

Old 19th January 2015, 10:35 PM   #105
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Maybe. I have always placed people doing slave labour for a dodgey companyhigher than a fish or a whale
Old 19th January 2015, 11:01 PM   #106
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The slaves would be first in the queue for refugee status.

Sounds an excellent plan to me, although the navy boat probably didn't have the room or food for anyone extra.
Old 19th January 2015, 11:19 PM   #107
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe. I have always placed people doing slave labour for a dodgey companyhigher than a fish or a whale
I'd suggest that the slave labour would be more then willing to be getting off, wouldn't you?

Old 19th January 2015, 11:28 PM   #108
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I am guessing the workers dont get a say
Old 20th January 2015, 01:50 AM   #109
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I am guessing the workers dont get a say
Guess it depends on how desperately the captain wants to go down with his ship.

Old 20th January 2015, 02:52 AM   #110
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Probably not that badly
Old 20th January 2015, 03:18 AM   #111
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not that badly
My thoughts too, and I would be that the second Captain would be even less interested in it.

Old 20th January 2015, 04:44 PM   #112
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Here's a good* view of it.

*Good = agrees with me.
Old 21st January 2015, 02:23 PM   #113
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In other news National are finally going to fix the 80,000 page RMA law
Old 21st January 2015, 06:37 PM   #114
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Show me when they've done it, not when they're talking about it. We have been down this path before.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:34 PM   #115
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

In other news National are finally going to fix the 80,000 page RMA law
Probably by adding another 10,000 pages to it....

Old 24th January 2015, 04:15 AM   #116
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In other news apparently Key is the devil incarnate for chosing to go to a world leaders forum over an obscure mini religions yearly pointless gathering.

The Greens are very offended. Labour pretenda to care while the tax payer pays for hotels
Old 24th January 2015, 11:32 PM   #117
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In other news apparently Key is the devil incarnate for chosing to go to a world leaders forum over an obscure mini religions yearly pointless gathering.

The Greens are very offended. Labour pretenda to care while the tax payer pays for hotels
While I couldn't give a crap about Ratana, at least be honest and say that Key is attending a junket for rich people. Davos is at least as irrelevant as Ratana and is not a world leaders' forum in any meaning of the word. 80% of the attendees are private individuals.

http://qz.com/166889/the-list-of-eve...vos-this-year/
Old 25th January 2015, 02:12 AM   #118
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Either way Ratana is a joke

At least Key may bump into something relevant
Old 29th January 2015, 10:52 AM   #119
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Oh and I am short the Kiwi dollar.
Still am.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 09:38 PM   #120
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Aussie Russ appears to have bit the bullet for "family reasons"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics