ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 8th June 2015, 12:00 AM   #201
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Toddlers are the doctor whos of human regeneration

Sounds like good news
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 02:39 AM   #202
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Unfortunately, that news may have been premature. As of only a couple of hours ago, she's still in the balance.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11461800
Old 8th June 2015, 02:50 AM   #203
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Mate - I've been meaning to ask about your sig line.

Should EPMU have psychics on their staff in case they are able to predict something? As far as I'm aware, there were no reasons for the union to be involved at the mine, and the untold story of the disaster is that the workers weren't following procedure correctly.

Blaming a bloke in his office 500 km away seems a bit off, when the Royal Commission lays the blame squarely on the back of the government.

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/12...tVol1whole.pdf
Old 8th June 2015, 03:34 AM   #204
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
gumboot, see the OP.
I don't think I can think of a topic more boring than New Zealand politics. New Zealand news beats it, if only for the absurd lack of actual news. I get breaking news alerts on my phone from one of the country's two preeminent news outlets. The last one was to announce that the winner of "The Bachelor New Zealand" had possibly broken up with her bachelor. We're talking about a country where non-fatal car accidents make headline news.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 03:43 AM   #205
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You should be happy it is the way it is.

The two days of the seal.

The police dog that got found.

Would you rather that or murder every night?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 03:50 AM   #206
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You should be happy it is the way it is.

The two days of the seal.

The police dog that got found.

Would you rather that or murder every night?

Oh I am happy with it*. But it's hardly worthy of its own discussion thread, is it?

*Happy with it, but certainly not satisfied. As I observed to a friend today (who was bemoaning the state of the country), human progression is inexorable primarily because no generation is ever satisfied that it's happening fast enough.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 12:16 PM   #207
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I don't think I can think of a topic more boring than New Zealand politics.
Typed like a true Nat.

Illegal spying on innocent citizens, bribes of $10 mio to Saudi businessmen, corrupt deals by Collins' husband's Chinese interests, an Auckland housing crisis that is casting thousands of poor, brown people into a hell-hole of overcrowding and disease...

Yep, that's pretty boring.

Or, at least National wants people to think that way. "Steady as she goes" as they like to put it.

Thankfully, it at least had the side-effect of making Key's perversion front-page news.

New Zealand news beats it, if only for the absurd lack of actual news. I get breaking news alerts on my phone from one of the country's two preeminent news outlets. The last one was to announce that the winner of "The Bachelor New Zealand" had possibly broken up with her bachelor. We're talking about a country where non-fatal car accidents make headline news.
Maybe if you avoided the click-bait, designed-for-Twitterers, headlines and read the actual journalists you might do better.

Far as I am from a fan of mainstream media, I am heartened by Stuff and Herald both currently running articles on the twin horrors of Chch and Akld rental markets.
Old 9th June 2015, 03:06 AM   #208
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It would help if the main opposition actually had some policy. Labour and Little aren't exactly glamour of the year in the polls. It is all negative coming from them, which isn't helped by the fact middle voters know they will need a very powerful Green coalition.

Old 9th June 2015, 10:58 AM   #209
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have to confess to having gone from hopeful to despair in a short time on Little.

Jesus H Christ - you could not pick an easier time to do things which would set Labour back on its pedestal of People's Party, but it seems to me they've got too used to living on the edge of oblivion to alienate a single voter, which is pathetic.

Change comes from boldness, not whimpering.

In 2003, I told Helen Clark this is exactly what would happen when she retired. Magnificent woman that she was, she cut the gonads out of Labour.

Are you going to answer the question about your sig line?
Old 9th June 2015, 02:36 PM   #210
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I have to confess to having gone from hopeful to despair in a short time on Little.

Jesus H Christ - you could not pick an easier time to do things which would set Labour back on its pedestal of People's Party, but it seems to me they've got too used to living on the edge of oblivion to alienate a single voter, which is pathetic.

Change comes from boldness, not whimpering.

In 2003, I told Helen Clark this is exactly what would happen when she retired. Magnificent woman that she was, she cut the gonads out of Labour.

Are you going to answer the question about your sig line?
Helen Clark is probably in the top 5-10 of leaders NZ has ever produced

Sorry man.

Did'nt see any questions

Old 9th June 2015, 03:40 PM   #211
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Did'nt see any questions
Here:

Should EPMU have psychics on their staff in case they are able to predict something? As far as I'm aware, there were no reasons for the union to be involved at the mine, and the untold story of the disaster is that the workers weren't following procedure correctly.

Blaming a bloke in his office 500 km away seems a bit off, when the Royal Commission lays the blame squarely on the back of the government.

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/12...tVol1whole.pdf
Old 9th June 2015, 04:49 PM   #212
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm not saying they have any sole blame. I keep hearing about all these warning signs coming from the mine, yet somehow the very people paid to represent the workers ignored them. I was just pointing out they must have any some culpability along with everyone else.I actually only added it when Labour started saying it was all Key's fault. Meant to get rid of it

Old 9th June 2015, 05:40 PM   #213
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

All I see is some innuendo that sounds as if it came from The Whale or some other apologetic site.

EPMU can only act if they're told, and even if the alleged comments on safety are true, then the union isn't the place to go. Little's statement appears factual - they hadn't heard of issues.
Old 9th June 2015, 05:48 PM   #214
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Then we beg to differ. I believe it is one of their roles to know about multiple warnings.

Old 9th June 2015, 09:01 PM   #215
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What route is there for information?

Mines aren't going to tell the union.

OSH isn't going to tell the union.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:51 PM   #216
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What route is there for information?

Mines aren't going to tell the union.

OSH isn't going to tell the union.

Their union representitive

Old 10th June 2015, 12:14 AM   #217
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Did the union rep have complaints?

Did he pass them on to EPMU?
Old 10th June 2015, 01:02 AM   #218
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did the union rep have complaints?

Did he pass them on to EPMU?
Maybe Little should have asked that before jumping to the companies defence

Old 10th June 2015, 01:21 AM   #219
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Or, maybe he was simply telling the truth: "No, we weren't aware of any problems".
Old 10th June 2015, 02:01 AM   #220
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

As I said earlier I hold no sole blame to anyone. I just think the EPMU bare some culpability along with the govt and health and safety and overall obviously the useless mine management.

I just got sick of the auto "Its the govts fault" that comes from the left

As I said it was meant to be a temporary thing

Old 10th June 2015, 12:44 PM   #221
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Disturbing, really.

You have no evidence they even knew about problems at Pike River, yet you choose to smear EPMU and Andrew Little publicly.

It really does smack of Farrar/Slug politics.

If it's temporary, may I suggest now's a good time to put something else up.
Old 16th June 2015, 12:25 PM   #222
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As expected, nobody defending Key, National and Nick Smith.

Illegal spying on innocent citizens, bribes of $10 mio to Saudi businessmen, corrupt deals by Collins' husband's Chinese interests, an Auckland housing crisis that is casting thousands of poor, brown people into a hell-hole of overcrowding and disease...
Not escaping the allegedly dull and disinterested national media, especially as substandard State Housing is a factor in two children's deaths this winter already:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11466051
Old 16th June 2015, 02:17 PM   #223
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What innocent citizens?

It wasn't a bribe, it was a mix compensation from Labours cancelling their promise of live sheep export renewal and a joint venture there

Prove they were corrupt

I have no idea what specific issue your last point is talking about
Old 16th June 2015, 02:35 PM   #224
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What innocent citizens?
You, me, and everyone connected to a cellular network.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11269366

It wasn't a bribe, it was a mix compensation from Labours cancelling their promise of live sheep export renewal and a joint venture there

That's why the government has blocked release of information on the deal.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...p-papers-again

Prove they were corrupt
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11219698

(there is an awful lot more on this if you need it, but that's a good starter)

I have no idea what specific issue your last point is talking about
Ah, I was thinking you'd be aware of the housing crisis in Auckland and Christchurch.

If the death of two children where the coroner has ruled unsafe State Housing as a partial cause of the deaths didn't alert you to the fact that housing is a huge issue right now, then nothing will.
Old 16th June 2015, 04:05 PM   #225
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11269366

That's why the government has blocked release of information on the deal.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...p-papers-again

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11219698

(there is an awful lot more on this if you need it, but that's a good starter)

Ah, I was thinking you'd be aware of the housing crisis in Auckland and Christchurch.

If the death of two children where the coroner has ruled unsafe State Housing as a partial cause of the deaths didn't alert you to the fact that housing is a huge issue right now, then nothing will.
They had warrants so obviously it was justified

Labour made promises to one of the kings best mates after he invested hundreds of millions. Someone has to clean up their mess

Then why have not been charged?

There is no longer a housing crisis in chch. It was one kid and they didn't say it was a partial cause, they said it was possible. The death was a tragedy.
State houses have been run down for decades and it is a bit rich you blaming one govt when Labour did nothing nwhile running massive surpluses every year
Old 16th June 2015, 04:33 PM   #226
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

They had warrants so obviously it was justified
Yeah, right.

Just like the warrants for Kim Dotcom...

Labour made promises to one of the kings best mates after he invested hundreds of millions. Someone has to clean up their mess
I think not. You need to research the story somewhere other than Whale Oil.

Then why have not been charged?
Ask Key, not me.

There is no longer a housing crisis in chch. It was one kid and they didn't say it was a partial cause, they said it was possible. The death was a tragedy.
State houses have been run down for decades and it is a bit rich you blaming one govt when Labour did nothing nwhile running massive surpluses every year
No housing crisis in Chch?

Best you tell someone:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...n-Christchurch

Speaking of "a bit rich", I'd describe blaming Labour after seven years on the Treasury benches more than a little rich.

I'm pleased you recognise that Labour ran surpluses - a thing of the past since Johnny Combover came in.
Old 16th June 2015, 04:48 PM   #227
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Yeah, right.

Just like the warrants for Kim Dotcom...

I think not. You need to research the story somewhere other than Whale Oil.

Ask Key, not me.

No housing crisis in Chch?

Best you tell someone:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...n-Christchurch

Speaking of "a bit rich", I'd describe blaming Labour after seven years on the Treasury benches more than a little rich.

I'm pleased you recognise that Labour ran surpluses - a thing of the past since Johnny Combover came in.
The warrants were deemed to be legal.

The article is from three months ago. House price rises have fallen massively.

Im not just blaming Labour. I leave single party blaming to you. It has been govt for the last 20 odd years

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2

Old 16th June 2015, 07:04 PM   #228
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The warrants were deemed to be legal.
They were deemed illegal, but allowed.

The article is from three months ago. House price rises have fallen massively.
Are you talking about Chch in New Zealand? I have to ask, because the idea that house prices have fallen there is completely and utterly incorrect to the point of absurdity.

Prices in fact reached a new record high last month in the city.

http://www.enz.org/house-prices-christchurch.html

Im not just blaming Labour. I leave single party blaming to you. It has been govt for the last 20 odd years
I'm happy to put some of the blame on Labour, but the past seven years have all been National's problem.

And let's not forget that while maintenance might have languished under Labour - as indeed it had since the 1980s - Labour did reintroduce income-linked rents that Bolger had written out of the terms.
Old 16th June 2015, 07:25 PM   #229
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I said house price rises.

Old 16th June 2015, 07:55 PM   #230
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

When they've gone up so fast, a slowing of the increase is inevitable.
Old 16th June 2015, 10:27 PM   #231
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Timely piece on the Saudi affair.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11466668
Old 18th June 2015, 11:44 PM   #232
EHocking
Philosopher

Ah, at last I can get this out of my Notepad. I've been sitting on it for ages!
Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
I would like to hear more about NZ...
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
...The entire country of New Zealand was once on the ocean floor
Oh how we yearn for the old days...

Quote:
, and in fact, its current land area represents the 7% of the continent of "Zealandia", that protrudes above the Ocean.
Which is 8% too much...
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2015, 11:55 PM   #233
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Just out of curiosity, do you think law enforcement organisations should be able to gain warrants so they can gather information about suspected illegal activities without the consent of those with the information?

Old 19th June 2015, 12:05 AM   #234
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Just out of curiosity, do you think law enforcement organisations should be able to gain warrants so they can gather information about suspected illegal activities without the consent of those with the information?
Only if it's the police with a properly prepared and signed search warrant, just as is required to search any physical assets.

It's pretty obvious the GCSB had no warrant to tap Pacific Island, Bangladeshi or Chinese communications, nor the bulk data collection from telcos.
Old 19th June 2015, 12:06 AM   #235
SezMe
post-pre-born

[OT]You can turn that off. Why don't you?[/OT]
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2015, 12:28 AM   #236
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Only if it's the police with a properly prepared and signed search warrant, just as is required to search any physical assets.

It's pretty obvious the GCSB had no warrant to tap Pacific Island, Bangladeshi or Chinese communications, nor the bulk data collection from telcos.
They aren't collecting bulk data from telcos.

They are asking for telcos to give them certain data with a warrant

Old 19th June 2015, 12:29 AM   #237
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Same as under cover police. Nothing wrong with it

Old 19th June 2015, 01:02 AM   #238
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Thanks. Just wanted to understand your position.

Old 19th June 2015, 02:03 AM   #239
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

They aren't collecting bulk data from telcos.
I've already provided evidence that shows they are doing exactly that.

Of course, you're welcome to believe whatever you like, but you'll be wrong.
Old 19th June 2015, 02:45 AM   #240
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've already provided evidence that shows they are doing exactly that.

Of course, you're welcome to believe whatever you like, but you'll be wrong.
You provided requests from warrants to telcos.

Maybe you should be looking at Google rather than a few legal requests

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics