ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th August 2019, 12:13 PM   #1001
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
This howerboard can go several miles across or thousands feet up. Are you sure the ladder can do the same ?
One board per man is a lot of boards, not exactly stealthy approach, very visible and vulnerable target when they fly up in to the air. Very vulnerable when they land and have to unstrap themselves before they can start to fight.
How much training is required to fly one of these things with any degree of precision or reliability?

They are a gimmick
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:20 PM   #1002
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
One board per man is a lot of boards, not exactly stealthy approach, very visible and vulnerable target when they fly up in to the air. Very vulnerable when they land and have to unstrap themselves before they can start to fight.
How much training is required to fly one of these things with any degree of precision or reliability?

They are a gimmick
A cool gimmick, but yes.

Iron Man works because he has a seemingly infinite amount of fuel, a massive thrust to weight ratio, literally incredible armour, and amazing weapons.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:50 PM   #1003
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

So basically you're saying 'it's not worth pursuing, nothing useful can come from it, like, ever' ? Wow.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:59 PM   #1004
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

So basically you're saying 'it's not worth pursuing, nothing useful can come from it, like, ever' ? Wow.
I'm sure there are limited potential uses, and it is cool.

But there are probably cheaper ways of increasing the effectiveness of infantry.

On a battlefield, the lightly-armoured flying infantry would be competing against helicopters, drones, and aircraft - and people are often concerned about the surviability of helicopters in contested airspace, let alone something like this.

Outside a battlefield - what is the point?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 01:26 PM   #1005
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm sure there are limited potential uses, and it is cool.

But there are probably cheaper ways of increasing the effectiveness of infantry.

On a battlefield, the lightly-armoured flying infantry would be competing against helicopters, drones, and aircraft - and people are often concerned about the surviability of helicopters in contested airspace, let alone something like this.

Outside a battlefield - what is the point?
EMT services in rough terrain?

I dunno. Maybe places without a lot of infrastructure, where you can afford to strap one to the top of your Ambulance-Ute, and rapidly cross difficult obstacles to provide immediate care to people in need.

"I can't drive there, and the nearest helicopter is six hundred miles away, but this here flyboard gets me across the river *right now*."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 01:28 PM   #1006
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I dunno. Maybe places without a lot of infrastructure, where you can afford to strap one to the top of your Ambulance-Ute, and rapidly cross difficult obstacles to provide immediate care to people in need.
Now that might be something...if it's larger. A hover stretcher rather than board. Could see where that might be useful in some circumstances.
Old 5th August 2019, 01:33 PM   #1007
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

"I can't drive there, and the nearest helicopter is six hundred miles away, but this here flyboard gets me across the river *right now*."
Oh, Civilian uses, yes.

Military ones, not so much.
Old 5th August 2019, 01:41 PM   #1008
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, Civilian uses, yes.

Military ones, not so much.
Yeah. Though, maybe. Powered exoskeletons seem like they'd have a lot of military applications in the rear, in supply depots and motor pools. So perhaps flyboards might find similar use in streamlining or easing the manual effort in certain support roles. Though I can't think of any offhand.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 02:34 PM   #1009
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Where was that claimed?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #1010
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Where was that claimed?
So you are claiming you haven't claimed that ? Wow.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:23 PM   #1011
Prometheus
Acolyte of Varr

It is objectively true that Captain_Swoop has not made that claim anywhere in this thread.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:36 PM   #1012
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's a solution looking for a problem.

At the moment, it can carry one highly trained pilot around ten miles, or 5 miles out and back. They just need to think of something really valuable for him to do when he gets there with no equipment.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:38 PM   #1013
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

At the moment, it can carry one highly trained pilot around ten miles, or 5 miles out and back. They just need to think of something really valuable for him to do when he gets there with no equipment.
Send him out two miles with a nuclear demolition charge.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:39 PM   #1014
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You know what might be more fun than breaking Swoop's balls?

Helping us brainstorm practical applications of the flyboard concept.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #1015
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think they are a any use to the infantry. I never claimed they aren't any use at all.
Old 5th August 2019, 03:56 PM   #1016
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Send him out two miles with a nuclear demolition charge.
If the nuke weighs less than 4 gallons of kerosene and your highly trained pilot is okay with suicide missions, perhaps. Maybe better off redesigning a flyboard air into a drone and getting rid of the heavy human pilot altogether.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:40 PM   #1017
ceptimus
puzzler

Don't forget you need a special platform to take off from. I guess you may be able to land without a platform - though I've never seen Franky do that yet. Maybe the production version of the flyboard will be able to carry the extra weight of some three-foot long extendable telescopic legs. And I guess you might need a ladder anyway to climb up onto it once it's in its launch configuration given that you'll be wearing the awkward backpack containing the fuel and you'll need to reach down to connect the fuel and control umbilicals.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:45 PM   #1018
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Are people still falling for this balderdash?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 05:47 PM   #1019
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If the nuke weighs less than 4 gallons of kerosene and your highly trained pilot is okay with suicide missions, perhaps. Maybe better off redesigning a flyboard air into a drone and getting rid of the heavy human pilot altogether.
I haven't done the math. I'm just thinking, broadly, reduce the range to increase the payload. It also doesn't necessarily have to be exactly the specs of this prototype. If the military (for example) did see value in it, they'd probably fund a much more efficient version.

Anyway, the smaller 'tactical' nukes can be deployed nearby without being a suicide mission. Put a hill between you and it and you're pretty safe.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:08 AM   #1020
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Well, nukes that small can be artillery delivered, which is faster, cheaper, repeatable, and longer ranged. Hard to see a niche where a hover board would be the answer :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th August 2019, 05:29 AM   #1021
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Don't forget you need a special platform to take off from. I guess you may be able to land without a platform - though I've never seen Franky do that yet. Maybe the production version of the flyboard will be able to carry the extra weight of some three-foot long extendable telescopic legs. And I guess you might need a ladder anyway to climb up onto it once it's in its launch configuration given that you'll be wearing the awkward backpack containing the fuel and you'll need to reach down to connect the fuel and control umbilicals.
If I were to guess, a major reason for the landing platform may be to stop the engines from sucking in the cloud of dust and grit thrown up by the downblast. As I recall, the platform is usually a raised, open grid, which might also mean that landing on a solid flat surface is harder. Maybe a cushion of exhaust gases builds up below it near the ground, so when thrust is reduced to descend gradually, the board doesn't drop neatly all the way to the ground.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:37 AM   #1022
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Well, nukes that small can be artillery delivered, which is faster, cheaper, repeatable, and longer ranged. Hard to see a niche where a hover board would be the answer :/
I think it would probably turn out that the weapon would be more likely to arrive at its target when fired from a gun rather than couriered there by a guy on a hoverboard. And that's just taking into account the board's likelihood of crashing. Presuming there are enemies opposed to your plan to deliver a nuke, one guy with a rifle, and a similar degree or training to use it as your flyboard guy has to use that, would put paid to your plan pretty swiftly.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:43 AM   #1023
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Just by the way, in trying to Google how much fuel the Flyboard Air uses, I ran into a claim that its design abides by "FAA ultralight reg 14 CFR part 103" and this limits its fuel capacity to 5 gallons.

I haven't yet tracked that claim down to find the actual rule but it's possible that the cross-channel run required a refuelling stop not because of the board's inability to lift enough weight, but because regulation prevents it from carrying enough fuel.
Old 6th August 2019, 06:27 AM   #1024
ceptimus
puzzler

If I were to guess, a major reason for the landing platform may be to stop the engines from sucking in the cloud of dust and grit thrown up by the downblast. As I recall, the platform is usually a raised, open grid, which might also mean that landing on a solid flat surface is harder. Maybe a cushion of exhaust gases builds up below it near the ground, so when thrust is reduced to descend gradually, the board doesn't drop neatly all the way to the ground.
It's probably mostly to stop the engines sucking in debris as you say - but perhaps it's also more difficult for Franky to control the board when the engines are operating in a "ground effect" mode. If it were just the dust/debris thing then you'd expect Franky to take off and land from a hard paved surface that was brushed/washed clean prior to starting the engines - why would the team bother with the hassle and cost of transporting and setting up the take off/landing platform unless it's providing some really significant benefit?

I have a model plane with a jet turbine, and the exhaust gases are really hot - so maybe they wouldn't want to start up the engines directly above some paved surfaces even if they were clean - the surface would probably begin to melt after a few seconds. I suppose a concrete surface wouldn't melt but perhaps it might crack? Also an engine might flame out or suffer some other problems if the jet exhaust is too close to the ground and so creating more back pressure on the exhaust than the engine normally experiences.

Last edited by ceptimus; 6th August 2019 at 06:36 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:30 AM   #1025
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point.
Old 6th August 2019, 04:57 PM   #1026
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Oh yeah, ground effect can be a real bitch. Among other things, there's the possibility of the high-pressure region acting like a big ball, making keeping your balance even harder.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 05:47 PM   #1027
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Oh yeah, ground effect can be a real bitch. Among other things, there's the possibility of the high-pressure region acting like a big ball, making keeping your balance even harder.
What I've seen he has special platform with grating for the floor he uses for take-offs and landings. But that was the old videos, not sure if solved the issue somehow. That's where the old style jetpack had certain advantage.
Old 7th August 2019, 11:13 PM   #1028
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'll bet that Hollywood is trying to squeeze scenes with something like the Flyboard into every upcoming action movie.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:44 AM   #1029
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever I see these things demonstrated, it's always over water, it seems.

I think using over land except for a trained stuntman maybe and being careful to never go very high off the ground, is probably not very safe. Over water is safer in case of a fall.
Old 8th August 2019, 01:52 AM   #1030
steenkh
Philosopher

Franky's performance at Bastille Day was not over water.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:40 AM   #1031
ceptimus
puzzler

And if you're going 100mph over water, or more than about ten metres above the water, that's not safe either. For his early tests, Franky stayed relatively low and relatively slow over water, and a rescue team used to follow him as best they could using jet skis or a motor boat. An engine failure wouldn't have threatened his life then except perhaps by drowning. He's obviously much more confident in his invention now: the way he's currently flying it, a major failure would most likely kill him or very seriously injure him. I know that there's supposed to be some redundancy - the board can apparently stay airborne with one motor out. But if he ran out of fuel when flying fast or high, or a fuel line became detached, or the turbine/compressor on one motor threw a blade that went through one or more of the other motors, or his throttle control system failed, or for many other failure modes, then he'd be in big trouble.

Last edited by ceptimus; 8th August 2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 8th August 2019, 03:02 PM   #1032
Steve001
Graduate Poster

A cool gimmick, but yes.

Iron Man works because he has a seemingly infinite amount of fuel, a massive thrust to weight ratio, literally incredible armour, and amazing weapons.
Iron Man works because we practice a willing suspension of disbelief.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:52 AM   #1033
Aber
Graduate Poster

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...second-attempt

Quote:
Franky Zapata crosses Channel by hoverboard at second attempt
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:32 PM   #1034
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Iron Man works because we practice a willing suspension of disbelief.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #1035
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Real". It's a cosplay skin on a completely different and much less advanced flying machine. Iron man? More like iron pander.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology