ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 13th July 2019, 09:52 PM   #521
Hans
Philosopher

Looks like the indicators are quivering and a new round of 'we're going into production' is just around the corner. They withdrew their 'make it a controversy shills', now the financial and science shills are starting to slicken the slide to trap some more money.

The game is afoot.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 02:22 AM   #522
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Looks like the indicators are quivering and a new round of 'we're going into production' is just around the corner. They withdrew their 'make it a controversy shills', now the financial and science shills are starting to slicken the slide to trap some more money.

The game is afoot.
Where are you getting that from? Their home page looks much as before.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 09:30 AM   #523
Dabop
Muse

There definitely has been a resurgence of activity...
That Quora page has at least two active Mills supporters, and there have been several new Youtubes been released (or at least reuploaded) at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFq...N0j2Y7jFsed7PQ the latest being only two weeks ago

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 06:05 PM   #524
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Where are you getting that from? Their home page looks much as before.
Sorry missed this msg earlier - what Dabop said Plus.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:26 PM   #525
Dabop
Muse

Yup they are definitely up to something, new pdfs going up in their website

https://brilliantlightpower.com/pdf/..._of_050819.pdf

A 'swamp em with published papers' approach...
(they now list 106 'published papers' although inspection shows a lot of 'self published' like his 'book' and website being used...)
Unfortunately for the unwary it makes it look like it is 'established science'- the 'see they published all these sciency papers n stuff' approach

(I saw this over at that Quora thread)

Quote:
Please note number 11 which is;

R. L. Mills, Y. Lu, “Time-Resolved Hydrino Continuum Transitions with Cutoffs at 22.8 nm and 10.1 nm,” Eur. Phys. J. D, Vol. 64, (2011), 65–72, doi: 10.1140/epjd/e2011- 20246-5.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-wrong-...ment/102048115

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 15th July 2019 at 05:47 PM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:14 PM   #526
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Thanks for the Q link!
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:34 PM   #527
8enotto
Muse

Don't most folks including investor types Google things as a research tool now? They will see the negative pop up with the official propaganda.

I can imagine this has become a situation of diminishing returns on the effort.

When I was googling around for a website I found at least five that claimed to debunk this one, so naturally I had to see why the ganging up effort.

It just told me whatever was here ruffled many feathers among those I wasn't going to join.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 04:05 PM   #528
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Don't most folks including investor types Google things as a research tool now? They will see the negative pop up with the official propaganda.

When I was googling around for a website I found at least five that claimed to debunk this one, so naturally I had to see why the ganging up effort.

It just told me whatever was here ruffled many feathers among those I wasn't going to join.
This and the earlier threads were devastating. The Mill shills couldn't even maintain the resemblance of their being a 'debate or question'. There stuff was shown over and over again to be wrong and the whole thing a fraud.

What is interesting now will Mills try for another run of the same successful techniques of 'contracts', 'soon to ship', 'working model', etc or will he try to sell out or try something different. I'm hoping for a change of names of the company and one brave last try to sucker some more people in.
Old 4th August 2019, 09:28 PM   #529
Dabop
Muse

It was mentioned a long time ago that Mills had often 'cleansed' the web of anything to do with his earlier previous claims as much as possible, so that whenever anyone tried to check, they wouldn't come across much 'dissent', but this time around, the sheer volume of quotes and such (one of the reasons I like to see actual screenshots and verbatim quotes rather than just links which can be deleted/changed) is going to make this difficult, if not outright impossible

Old 4th August 2019, 09:50 PM   #530
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
It was mentioned a long time ago that Mills had often 'cleansed' the web of anything to do with his earlier previous claims as much as possible, so that whenever anyone tried to check, they wouldn't come across much 'dissent', but this time around, the sheer volume of quotes and such (one of the reasons I like to see actual screenshots and verbatim quotes rather than just links which can be deleted/changed) is going to make this difficult, if not outright impossible
Exactly: People have paid far to much attention to his previous attempts this time around and it will be 'dangerous' for him to try the same stunt/scam he's done before.

But will he? Or will he try a new technique or will he throw up his hands an 'retire'? He might be addicted to that cool million he gets for his building being used plus his salary....
Old 4th August 2019, 09:56 PM   #531
8enotto
Muse

How does the chats on BLP and other Mills endeavors in other names figure in with Reddit and other sites?

Some were kind of dominated by shills feeding believers as I understand. Even Sr Mills himself participating at some.
Are there any serious and respected science sites that gave it credibility?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 05:23 AM   #532
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Exactly: People have paid far to much attention to his previous attempts this time around and it will be 'dangerous' for him to try the same stunt/scam he's done before.

But will he? Or will he try a new technique or will he throw up his hands an 'retire'? He might be addicted to that cool million he gets for his building being used plus his salary....
I don't see it making much difference to future attempts to find more marks. He's hit "small online cult" critical mass. He appears to target low-information investors, or at least people likely to be deeply entrenched in a dunning-kruger effect in their knowledge of physics. Conspiratorial thinking is also on the rise, so our efforts to expose his shenanigans to the light of day work in his favor in those populations.

Like all good woo-woo slingers, quacks, cranks, and con artists, Mills is a rubber duck.
Old 5th August 2019, 06:59 AM   #533
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I don't see it making much difference to future attempts to find more marks. He's hit "small online cult" critical mass. He appears to target low-information investors, or at least people likely to be deeply entrenched in a dunning-kruger effect in their knowledge of physics. Conspiratorial thinking is also on the rise, so our efforts to expose his shenanigans to the light of day work in his favor in those populations.

Like all good woo-woo slingers, quacks, cranks, and con artists, Mills is a rubber duck.
It is depressing, but I think you are correct. The Mills cult appeals to those who think they are smart, but don't know enough to realize when they are being scammed.

I think Mills may have to tighten his belt. I don't think he will be able to find another Carlos Slim. Instead, he will get a few true-believers with retirement savings.

The problem is the current valuation of the company. If it is around a billion, he may have priced himself out of the market. Investors may put money into a risky startup, but they won't put money into a company that is already valued high, and yet doesn't have a product. The reward is too low for the risk.

I have seen where other companies keep bumping up their valuations on each funding round. Initially this makes investors happy, because their paper earnings go up, but without evidence to back up the valuation, investment stalls, and the company can't raise any more money. They then collapse to a shell of their former self.
HappySkeptic99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 07:16 AM   #534
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by HappySkeptic99 View Post
I have seen where other companies keep bumping up their valuations on each funding round. Initially this makes investors happy, because their paper earnings go up, but without evidence to back up the valuation, investment stalls, and the company can't raise any more money. They then collapse to a shell of their former self.

Luckily, Mills has found a financial state below the bankrupt state!
Old 5th August 2019, 07:51 AM   #535
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Desitutrino?

Hyruinedrino?

Zippity Dodrino?
Old 5th August 2019, 07:53 AM   #536
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Insolvinicity.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:01 AM   #537
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post

It's not aimed at investor types. It's aimed at suckers.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:28 AM   #538
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's not aimed at investor types. It's aimed at suckers.

Which of his current known investors aren't "investor types"? All the ones I know of are very specifically investors or potential strategic partners (if this were real).

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:47 AM   #539
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HappySkeptic99 View Post
Weird. That sounds a lot like something a bloke named Charles Ponzi came up with a while back, but without the stage of giving the previous investors anything other than promises.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 5th August 2019 at 08:49 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 09:26 AM   #540
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Insolvinicity.

Dave
Dave wins!
Old 5th August 2019, 09:28 AM   #541
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Dave wins!
But probably doesn't get the banner. Again.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #542
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

No, but you get the regard of your peers.

Isn't that worth more than some stupid banner?

On the other hand, if there were money involved.....
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology