ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homeopathy

Old 22nd March 2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

UK Homeopaths ordered to cease advertising CEASE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47666939

Quote:
Advertising watchdog the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has ordered 150 homeopaths operating in the UK to stop claiming they can cure autism.

Five of them face prosecution for advertising a treatment called Cease therapy, which has no scientific basis and is potentially harmful.

The National Autistic Society says autism is part of who people are and it is wrong to claim that it can be cured.

The Society of Homeopaths said the therapy may now be renamed.

Cease stands for the Complete Elimination of Autism Spectrum Expression. It is a form of homeopathy, based on the idea that toxins in the environment and vaccines may cause autism.

Therapists claim they can cure autism by removing these 'harmful' substances with homeopathic remedies and dietary supplements.

But there is no scientific evidence for any link between vaccines and autism, and experts say Cease therapy is potentially harmful.
If we keep chipping away at this nonsense maybe it will all be gone eventually ...
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sadly as hinted in the article it is a tad whack-a-mole, they'll rename it and start spinning their lies again pretty quick.
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:31 AM   #3
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Still, every public discrediting helps chip away at the veneer of false respectibility.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yep.
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

If they reduce their advertising to an imperceptible fraction of its current levels, they'll never be able to keep up with demand!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2019, 03:42 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's a fantastic response, really: "This cure you're selling has no scientific validity, and is potentially dangerous", "Oh that's terrible! We'll rebrand it".
Old 23rd March 2019, 05:24 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It's a fantastic response, really: "This cure you're selling has no scientific validity, and is potentially dangerous", "Oh that's terrible! We'll rebrand it".
I'm expecting a time when Homies will have to say it's "For Entertainment Purposes Only" and then they'll be all set.
Old 24th March 2019, 01:13 PM   #8
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

If we keep chipping away at this nonsense maybe it will all be gone eventually ...
Unless we are genetically manipulated one day we will always have the tendency to believe people who tell us what we want to hear. I see no sign of this diminishing, especially with the internet.
Old 24th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #9
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

It is not clear to me who wrote
Quote:
which has no scientific basis and is potentially harmful.
Is it the author of the article or an ASA representative?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 03:52 PM   #10
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Every time i am in a chemist I look for homeopathy treatments being advertised, just so I can have an argument about them.
Haven't found any yet which is disappointing for me, but actually good for everyone else.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 04:35 PM   #11
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

It is cheering to hear the OP's positive good news.

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 24th March 2019 at 04:36 PM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 07:02 PM   #12
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Fingers crossed.
Old 24th March 2019, 11:00 PM   #13
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
It is not clear to me who wrote Is it the author of the article or an ASA representative?
Looks like it's the journalist's summary of the comments of the three people (Prof Nicola Martin, ASA's chief executive Guy Parker and Emma Dalmayne) who are quoted at length later in the article.
Old 25th March 2019, 12:42 AM   #14
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If they reduce their advertising to an imperceptible fraction of its current levels, they'll never be able to keep up with demand!
Brilliant!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:14 AM   #15
Blue Wode
Graduate Poster

Thumbs up Funding appeal

The UK Professional Standards Authority’s (PSA) decision to accredit the Society of Homeopaths as part of its accredited registers programme is being challenged in the UK.

The PSA decided to grant the accreditation even though some Society of Homeopaths members offer CEASE therapy (which, as most people here know, is an unscientific and potentially dangerous treatment for autism that is targeted at autistic children). Please contribute to the legal challenge and share this page with your friends, family and others on social media:

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/gts-cease-psa/

https://twitter.com/Blue_Wode
Blue Wode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 02:36 AM   #16
Blue Wode
Graduate Poster

Over 200 people have backed this judicial review crowdfunder all about homeopaths 'curing' kids with autism. It was going to close to today, but @CrowdJusticeUK have extended it for a further 30 days:

Please donate. Thank you.

Blue Wode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 06:16 AM   #17
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Originally Posted by Blue Wode View Post

Please donate. Thank you.

Done.
Old 28th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #18
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

New ad campaign: "10 cures the government doesn't want you to know!"
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:49 PM   #19
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Every time i am in a chemist I look for homeopathy treatments being advertised, just so I can have an argument about them.
Haven't found any yet which is disappointing for me, but actually good for everyone else.
Come to Australia, you will have plenty of opportunities
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:11 PM   #20
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
Come to Australia, you will have plenty of opportunities
This one amused me.
This in a Kiwi airport chemist.
It “Supports a restful nights sleep, Soothes mild worry and stress[and is] Non addictive with no drowsiness
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:02 AM   #21
Blue Wode
Graduate Poster

Update

The PSA are defending their decision, so the case (against the accreditation of the Society of Homeopaths and some of their members who promote CEASE therapy) now goes to a judge. More:

Old 13th August 2019, 07:52 AM   #22
slythe
New Blood

Apparently homeopathic remedies are ineffective when it comes to treating outbreaks of Science.
slythe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology