ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Recep Erdogan , Turkey issues , Turkey politics , US-Turkey relations

Old 12th July 2019, 02:38 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Turkey defies US as Russian S-400 missile defence arrives

Turkey has received the first parts of a Russian S-400 missile defence system despite opposition from the US.

The shipment arrived in an airbase in the capital Ankara on Friday, the Turkish defence ministry says.

The move will anger the US, which has warned that Turkey cannot have both the S-400 anti-aircraft defence system and US F-35 fighter jets.

Turkey and the US are Nato allies - but Turkey has also been establishing closer links with Russia.

Turkey has signed up to buying 100 US F-35s, and has invested heavily in the F-35 programme.

However, US defence officials have said they do not want the F-35 jets to be near S-400 systems - because they fear Russian technicians will be able to access the F-35's vulnerabilities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48962885
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:45 AM   #2
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

As usual Erdogan is playing all against each other. As soon as any parts arrive, a swarm of NATO engineers will examine them, despite the beef on the public scene. I don't think the Russians are acting wisely by giving that kind of technology to the Turks. Unless they've made certain modifications.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:53 AM   #3
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Turkey has received the first parts of a Russian S-400 missile defence system despite opposition from the US.

The shipment arrived in an airbase in the capital Ankara on Friday, the Turkish defence ministry says.

The move will anger the US, which has warned that Turkey cannot have both the S-400 anti-aircraft defence system and US F-35 fighter jets.

Turkey and the US are Nato allies - but Turkey has also been establishing closer links with Russia.

Turkey has signed up to buying 100 US F-35s, and has invested heavily in the F-35 programme.

However, US defence officials have said they do not want the F-35 jets to be near S-400 systems - because they fear Russian technicians will be able to access the F-35's vulnerabilities.

It's just a plan to foster conflict between Turkey and the West that will allow Erdogan to dismantle the secular democracy and build his Islamofascist regime. It has nothing to do with national defence at all.

McHrozni
Old 17th July 2019, 01:16 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
It's just a plan to foster conflict between Turkey and the West that will allow Erdogan to dismantle the secular democracy and build his Islamofascist regime. It has nothing to do with national defence at all.

McHrozni
Suleiman the Magnificent returns.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's all Obama's fault, of course!

ETA:
Quote:
And frankly I've always had a very good relationship" with Erdogan, Trump added.
Of course he had. Erdogan puts his opponents in prison, Trump would like to.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 17th July 2019 at 04:56 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 05:57 PM   #6
mgidm86
Philosopher

It probably won't work anyways
Old 17th July 2019, 09:24 PM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Erdogan wants Trump to hand him Gulen - as Flynn promised he would.
Escalating the conflict until Trump does is a strategy by Erdogan.
Old 18th July 2019, 04:22 AM   #8
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why would Russia sell the system to a NATO member?
They must know they are making it available to examination by NATO technicians.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 06:29 AM   #9
Pope130
Illuminator

Why would Russia sell the system to a NATO member?
They must know they are making it available to examination by NATO technicians.
Probably a downgraded 'export model' of the system. It's not uncommon for exporters to remove some critical technology systems and substitute alternate, older, simpler, or already compromised components in systems going to unsecure locations. The Soviets endearingly referred to the export versions as "monkey models".

Last edited by Pope130; 18th July 2019 at 06:30 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:00 AM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So why would Turkey buy it?
Old 18th July 2019, 08:08 AM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Good question. Possibly to curry favor with Russia, possibly to build up NATO-independent defense capabilities in anticipation of estrangement from NATO (bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there, but might have happened anyways), possibly because it's relatively cheap. I'm sure there are factors I haven't considered.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:10 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I actually wonder at times if being a perfect storm of both metaphorical and literal middle ground between NATO/Europe/American and Russia is exactly where Turkey wants to stay and there's just going to play both sides, balancing the scales, as long as possible.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:21 AM   #13
Pope130
Illuminator

Possibly to induce the West to supply higher grade equipment on more favorable terms.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:51 AM   #14
8enotto
Muse

Turkey seems to be playing the sovereign nation card. They are not letting people outside of Turkey make decisions for them.

I am sure the version they will get will be a lessor model in the electronics. Just as when the US sells tanks and such. No night vision or communication gear at all. Advanced weapons and related, forget it.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 08:54 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Probably a downgraded 'export model' of the system. It's not uncommon for exporters to remove some critical technology systems and substitute alternate, older, simpler, or already compromised components in systems going to unsecure locations. The Soviets endearingly referred to the export versions as "monkey models".
Can you give a cite for the "monkey models" thing being a Soviet coinage? I've only ever seen it on 4chan, and I had assumed it originated with the racist-trollist faction there.

Also, "monkey model" is an alliterative epithet in English. The corresponding epithet in Russian, обезьяна модель, is not. Also, the two words have the same number of syllables in English, but a different number of syllables in Russian. To me, all of this points to a coinage by English speakers for English speakers, relying on the tones and rhythms of spoken English to create a memorable and pithy epithet. In English.

While I speculate about 4chan trolls above, I have no good ideas about the actual etymology of the term. If it turns out that we do know where it came from, and it turns out to be a translation or adaptation of Soviet-era Russian military jargon, that would be pretty neat.

So. Do you have a cite?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:17 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Good question. Possibly to curry favor with Russia, possibly to build up NATO-independent defense capabilities in anticipation of estrangement from NATO (bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there, but might have happened anyways), possibly because it's relatively cheap. I'm sure there are factors I haven't considered.
Ironically, even export versions of the S-400 are probably more than adequate to defend agains the current Russian air force. Turkey would only need the latest and greatest if they were concerned about 5th-gen aircraft, which Russia doesn't really have at the moment. If the PAK-FA were a real plane, and a real threat, I'm sure Turkey would be clamoring for Patriot or AEGIS Ashore.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 09:36 AM   #17
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To me, all of this points to a coinage by English speakers for English speakers, relying on the tones and rhythms of spoken English to create a memorable and pithy epithet. In English.
Apparently coined by a native Russian speaker fluent in English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export...tary_equipment

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So now Trump has kicked Turkey out of the F-35 program in which it has been a major partner and minor producer, with the plan to buy 100 pieces. But like Erdogan has told the public Trump has promised him on the sidelines of the G20 meeting, no sanctions under CAATSA have been implemented or even threatened, and the comments of US and NATO talking heads were even deescalating. Meanwhile Russia has offered SU-57s while ROFLing.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:16 AM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

SU-57s hahahaha well, I suppose they want to damage NATO.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:39 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The good news is, there's no downgrade from the Soviet model to the monkey model of the Su-57.

The bad news is, the Russians don't even have enough monkey model Su-57s to meet their own needs. I'm sure they were ROFLing when they promised Turkey could have some.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #21
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

They actually offer SU-35s. Dunno if it was my fault or in the article I've read.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:52 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
They actually offer SU-35s. Dunno if it was my fault or in the article I've read.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the update!
Old 19th July 2019, 02:09 PM   #23
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Old stock then?
Old 19th July 2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like both the SU-57 and the SU-35 have both been offered.

From: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/rus...er-jets-143123
Russia was “ready to cooperate” to sell Ankara Su-57 fighter jets if Turkey’s participation in the F-35 jet program with the U.S. fell through, the head of the Russian state-owned Rostec Corporation’s Sergey Chemezov said on May 2.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 02:20 PM   #25
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

SU-57 is years away from proper deployment. They have to sort the engines out for starters.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:22 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Old stock then?
According to wiki, the Su-35 is a relatively new plane, with several modern variants. It looks to be about the same era and design as the F-15E. So probably not old stock at all. I don't think there really can be old stock of this plane.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:23 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like both the SU-57 and the SU-35 have both been offered.

From: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/rus...er-jets-143123
Russia was “ready to cooperate” to sell Ankara Su-57 fighter jets if Turkey’s participation in the F-35 jet program with the U.S. fell through, the head of the Russian state-owned Rostec Corporation’s Sergey Chemezov said on May 2.
I'm sure Russia would love to have someone - anyone - buying Su-57s. But there's an important distinction between offering Su-57s for sale, and actually having any to sell. This distinction is probably not lost on the Turks.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:39 PM   #28
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

SU-57 is years away from proper deployment. They have to sort the engines out for starters.
And when Russia was working on the plane with India, the Indians looked at the poor engineering and said "No thanks". (It is apparently not as stealthy as Russia promised. There was also a problem with Russia being unwilling to share certain technical information with India.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:27 AM   #29
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So now Trump has kicked Turkey out of the F-35 program in which it has been a major partner and minor producer, with the plan to buy 100 pieces. But like Erdogan has told the public Trump has promised him on the sidelines of the G20 meeting, no sanctions under CAATSA have been implemented or even threatened, and the comments of US and NATO talking heads were even deescalating. Meanwhile Russia has offered SU-57s while ROFLing.

Next round: Apparently Congress and Pompeo are trying to put the CAATSA sanctions on Turkey against Trump's will, which yesterday made the Turkish foreign minister say on national TV that they would respond "in kind". And he dared to mention the bad word: İncirlik.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:28 AM   #30
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Wasn't Turkey also supposed to be a 'repair partner' in Europe (close-ish!) for F-35?
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 02:18 AM   #31
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I actually wonder at times if being a perfect storm of both metaphorical and literal middle ground between NATO/Europe/American and Russia is exactly where Turkey wants to stay and there's just going to play both sides, balancing the scales, as long as possible.
I agree with this. Erdoğan has done well at keeping his distance from the US and Russia and drawing closer when it's necessary. I think his real desire is to become the dominant player in the Middle East. However, his domestic support took a huge hit a few months ago when his puppet lost the Istanbul mayoral election a few months ago, twice. Don't be surprised if the winner, Ekrem İmamoğiu, is President in a few years.

Last edited by FenerFan; 30th July 2019 at 02:20 AM.
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 03:57 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SU-57s hahahaha well, I suppose they want to damage NATO.

You think India basically rejecting the SU 57 as a piece of junk would have told Turkey something.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 1st August 2019 at 03:59 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 04:03 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
I agree with this. Erdoğan has done well at keeping his distance from the US and Russia and drawing closer when it's necessary. I think his real desire is to become the dominant player in the Middle East. However, his domestic support took a huge hit a few months ago when his puppet lost the Istanbul mayoral election a few months ago, twice. Don't be surprised if the winner, Ekrem İmamoğiu, is President in a few years.
And last time I looked, most Arab Countries still have a deep mistrust of Turkey dating back to the Ottoman Empire Days. People in the Middle East have long,long, memories.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:58 AM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And last time I looked, most Arab Countries still have a deep mistrust of Turkey dating back to the Ottoman Empire Days. People in the Middle East have long,long, memories.
The learn nothing and forget nothing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics