ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:26 AM   #201
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
Now let's conclude ...
When you are a little more yourself perhaps you can try to explain yourself better here.

As I understand it, you are claiming that when the air passes through the cone, the pressure inside remains the same as the pressure outside? Yes? You have concluded this from blowing through a straw covered with cling film, as I recall.

If I have misunderstood you I apologise. Please clarify, when the air passes through the cone, does the pressure on the inside surfaces drop or not?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 14th August 2019 at 04:27 AM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:32 AM   #202
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

First of all, excuse my hyperbole. I am aware that he is not proposing that. His theory implies it but he is not aware of that. Simply pointing it out and asking about it received no reaction, so I tried with some sting.

Here is RBF's theory:

Now let's conclude. If we take away the forward push of the "simulated rocket engine" then the push of the atmosphere will push the whole contraption backwards.
We can just pipe the escaping air back into the balloon (with a pump to restore the pressure). That eliminates the thrust generated by "simulated rocket engine" but leaves the push of the atmosphere.

This is not rocket science (pun intended). IMHO, this is just a primitive fridge.
Finally you quoted what I said instead of rude strawmen and lies. Good.

Your conclusion is still flawed because you missed something. Try and figure that out. I'll be back to check your work tonight.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:35 AM   #203
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I was obviously talking about your continued childish strawmanning of RBF.
I don't know what you refer to here.

Quote:
Perhaps I can charitably assume that you are still blotto, in which case perhaps we can continue this when you have a clearer head.
I am quite sober but, unfortunately, I still don't realize "that the difference between speed and velocity here is not if the air streams into or out of the balloon."
I have to continue to await clarification.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:42 AM   #204
Robin
Philosopher

I am quite sober but, unfortunately, I still don't realize "that the difference between speed and velocity here is not if the air streams into or out of the balloon."
I have to continue to await clarification.
As I said before, any high school text will explain the difference between speed and velocity. Speed is a scalar, velocity is a vector.

But you are jumping back to another topic.

I was asking you to explain your more recent comment. When the air passes through the cone, does the pressure inside drop? Or are you saying that it remains the same?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #205
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

When you are a little more yourself perhaps you can try to explain yourself better here.

As I understand it, you are claiming that when the air passes through the cone, the pressure inside remains the same as the pressure outside? Yes? You have concluded this from blowing through a straw covered with cling film, as I recall.

If I have misunderstood you I apologise. Please clarify, when the air passes through the cone, does the pressure on the inside surfaces drop or not?
I went back to pull out what I asked RBF.
The air at the narrow end of the cone is faster than in the balloon, so by Bernoulli it is at lower pressure. It is also faster than at the wide end of the cone, so again lower pressure.
We know that the pressure at the wide end is higher than atmosphere because air exits.
That means we know that the air at the narrow end of the cone is lower than above atmosphere. So how do we get from below above atmosphere to simply below atmosphere?
I believe this answers your question and I am now able to answer my own question there. So that is cleared up?
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:51 AM   #206
Robin
Philosopher

Please explain.
For example, connect it to the central branch of one of these
Old 14th August 2019, 04:52 AM   #207
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

As I said before, any high school text will explain the difference between speed and velocity. Speed is a scalar, velocity is a vector.
Ok. And is the only confusion this might cause about whether air is flowing into or out of the balloon, as drunk me so muddily believed?
Old 14th August 2019, 04:55 AM   #208
Robin
Philosopher

I went back to pull out what I asked RBF.

I believe this answers your question and I am now able to answer my own question there. So that is cleared up?
Perhaps you could just answer the question.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:56 AM   #209
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

For example, connect it to the central branch of one of these
A vital component of the RBF drive. But what does it have to do with my argument?
Old 14th August 2019, 04:56 AM   #210
Robin
Philosopher

Ok. And is the only confusion this might cause about whether air is flowing into or out of the balloon, as drunk me so muddily believed?
No of course that is not the only confusion it can cause.

The fact that you think that you can account for the behaviour of that system using only scalars tells me a lot.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:58 AM   #211
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Perhaps you could just answer the question.
I thought I had but ok...

The question is:
As I understand it, you are claiming that when the air passes through the cone, the pressure inside remains the same as the pressure outside?
No.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:00 AM   #212
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

No of course that is not the only confusion it can cause.
Can you please give an example?

The fact that you think that you can account for the behaviour of that system using only scalars tells me a lot.
That I looked it up in a fluid mechanics textbook?

Last edited by GnaGnaMan; 14th August 2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #213
Robin
Philosopher

That I looked it up in a fluid mechanics textbook?
Perhaps you could cite the part that said you can model the forces on a three dimensional object using only scalars. That would be an interesting textbook.

Last edited by Robin; 14th August 2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:15 AM   #214
Robin
Philosopher

Can you please give an example?
For example what happens when a stream of air expands into a cone where there is already air at atmospheric pressure. There is not just forces in one direction.

In any case you have made a conceptual mistake. A scalar doesn't have a single direction, it doesn't have a direction at all.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:19 AM   #215
Robin
Philosopher

I thought I had but ok...

The question is:
As I understand it, you are claiming that when the air passes through the cone, the pressure inside remains the same as the pressure outside?
No.
Good. But now I don't understand your strange interpretation of what RBF said.

Do you not think it possible that if the pressure on the inside surfaces of the cone was less than the pressure on the outside surfaces of the cone that the sum of the forces acting on the cone might point in the direction of the large opening?
Old 14th August 2019, 06:41 AM   #216
The Common Potato
Scholar

The part I am trying to understand is the pressure drop when the fluid passes through the constricted area of a cone. More molecules are being forced into a small and smaller cross sectional area yet the pressure drops. I get that the velocity increases. I'm just trying to get my head round it.

As a bit of a relevant derail, what happens if the cone in the video is replaced with a cylinder with a diameter the same as the large end of the cone.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:54 AM   #217
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
The part I am trying to understand is the pressure drop when the fluid passes through the constricted area of a cone. More molecules are being forced into a small and smaller cross sectional area yet the pressure drops. I get that the velocity increases. I'm just trying to get my head round it.

As a bit of a relevant derail, what happens if the cone in the video is replaced with a cylinder with a diameter the same as the large end of the cone.
The same, basically, because there is still a section in which the airflow expands laterally to fill the cylinder and hence the pressure increases. If you replace the first half of the cone with a cone that has a steeper sidewall angle and the second half with a cylinder equal to the large end of the original cone, then repeat that with the shorter cone, and so on, ultimately you end up with the full length cylinder and a zero length cone.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #218
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

This is Bernoulli's principle. It is really a fundamental property of fluid and can be difficult to grasp. But, it is worth focusing on until you grasp it, because once you do, fluid just makes more sense.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:42 AM   #219
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Good. But now I don't understand your strange interpretation of what RBF said.

Do you not think it possible that if the pressure on the inside surfaces of the cone was less than the pressure on the outside surfaces of the cone that the sum of the forces acting on the cone might point in the direction of the large opening?
I can't really make sense of that question. If you sucked the air out of the cone with a vacuum cleaner or something, then the air pressure would probably push the cone backwards. The sum of forces will point towards the large opening But you don't have that here. There's no vacuum cleaner or something.
When you push against an object there will be an equal and opposite force pushing back. If that push comes from air pressure against some vessel then the material of that vessel will supply the push-back force (or collapse). There will not be any net force.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #220
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

What we feel as gas pressure is lots and lots of molecules bouncing around and hammering against the wall of the vessel/pipe/whatever. On the whole all the molecules there will be having the same energy (actually it's distributed in a specific way).
Those that go at speed thru the narrow part are those that happened to be bouncing that way. So their sideways motion actually subtracts from their "bouncing around". While they are going faster through the narrow part, they cannot be bouncing as hard against the walls.

Quote:
I think you'll get flow separation and turbulence where the tube suddenly turns into the bigger cylinder.

It's probably best to ask these questions on a dedicated science forum. Particularly the last one is tricky.
Old 14th August 2019, 03:02 PM   #221
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

You return to thrust like in the original but with slightly more friction and drag.....but the car should move again like before the cone was applied.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #222
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

I can't really make sense of that question. If you sucked the air out of the cone with a vacuum cleaner or something, then the air pressure would probably push the cone backwards. The sum of forces will point towards the large opening But you don't have that here. There's no vacuum cleaner or something.
When you push against an object there will be an equal and opposite force pushing back. If that push comes from air pressure against some vessel then the material of that vessel will supply the push-back force (or collapse). There will not be any net force.
and that is the same woo that multiple times has people confused in this thread. I did ask if you would please pay attention and work your way through this, before confusing people actually trying to learn.

There is less pressure and at an angle, so a portion of that delta can be broken down to a vector that will be directly opposing thrust and the other vertically inwards. What % depends on the angle. If there is less pressure and it is horizontal, then the vector opposing thrust would be zero as the entire delta would be vertical.
Old 14th August 2019, 03:50 PM   #223
Robin
Philosopher

I can't really make sense of that question.
Yes, I can see that you had trouble understanding it, but I am not sure which part of it you didn't get.

The sum of forces acting on the cone due to air pressure will either be in equilibrium and there will be no net force or else there will be a net force and it will point in a particular direction.

I am saying that the evidence is that the sum of forces acting on the cone due to air pressure points towards the large opening of the cone.

You have said that you find this possibility highly improbable, so I am asking you to explain why you think it improbable that the net force exerted on the cone by air pressure points backwards.

I am also asking which direction you think that net force points.

Just to clear up something, the force exerted back by those surfaces is not a force acting on the cone.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:38 PM   #224
Robin
Philosopher

But what does it have to do with my argument?
If you have forgotten the point, why did you even bring it up again?

You asked me to explain how the balloon could be deflated with the velocity of the air pressure being zero and I showed you.

You were claiming that conservation of energy must (for reasons you didn't explain) imply conservation of velocity. I showed you a counter example.

Last edited by Robin; 14th August 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:56 PM   #225
Robin
Philosopher

Yes, it is counter intuitive. We can see from experiments that it is the case, but that doesn't help us get our heads around it.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:58 PM   #226
Robin
Philosopher

Here is a simplified model I did of a venturi meter a while ago when I was trying to understand this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dZFi9p4nA

To begin with it does what you would expect and the higher pressure is in the constricted part. After a while the flow settles down and the higher pressure is in the larger pipe.

As close as I can understand this, in the faster flow the momentum of each particle is more likely to be along the line of flow and therefore the collisions with the wall of the pipe. In the slower flow the particles are relatively more likely to be heading in the direction of the wall of the pipe, therefore the collisions are going to have more force.

Don't take this as an expert opinion. Like you I am trying to get my head around it.

Last edited by Robin; 14th August 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 03:41 AM   #227
Robin
Philosopher

If you have forgotten the point, why did you even bring it up again?

You asked me to explain how the balloon could be deflated with the velocity of the air pressure being zero and I showed you.

You were claiming that conservation of energy must (for reasons you didn't explain) imply conservation of velocity. I showed you a counter example.
Should have been " .... velocity of the air escaping ... "
Old 15th August 2019, 03:59 PM   #228
Robin
Philosopher

OK, here is a point that I think is causing a lot of confusion.

Let's take the question posed by RBF, using the video from the UCB.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The straws are all vertical.

Suppose we add another straw at A and at the same height as the straw at A but have the end curved over so that the end of it is at right angles to the ends of the other straws, with the opening towards the source of flow.

My question is, would the pressure detected by this straw be the same as A, higher than A or lower than A?

My guess is that the pressure would be higher than the original straw at A.

In other words "pressure" is not a completely non-directional quantity, even if it is often useful to model it as such.

So the pressure on the surfaces of the cone can be lower than atmospheric pressure while the pressure over the plane of the opening can be higher than atmospheric pressure.

Any comments?

Edit - I have put the suggested modification at A in blue:

Last edited by Robin; 15th August 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 05:11 PM   #229
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

OK, here is a point that I think is causing a lot of confusion.
snip

So the pressure on the surfaces of the cone can be lower than atmospheric pressure while the pressure over the plane of the opening can be higher than atmospheric pressure.

Any comments?

Edit - I have put the suggested modification at A in blue:
https://robinsrevision.files.wordpre...08/image-2.png
Don't be fooled by GnaGnaMan woo Robin.

The pressure in the cone varies from lower than atmospheric to atmospheric as it leaves the cone. His premise that the pressure in the cone must be higher in order to leave the cone is a false premise and it was designed as a troll to obfuscate.

The pressure in the cone is less than or equal to atmospheric. It is not greater than atmospheric.

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th August 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 06:36 PM   #230
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Don't be fooled by GnaGnaMan woo Robin.
This does not come from anything that GnaGnaMan has said.

He and I have disagreed on just about everything so far.
Quote:
The pressure in the cone varies from lower than atmospheric to atmospheric as it leaves the cone. His premise that the pressure in the cone must be higher in order to leave the cone is a false premise and it was designed as a troll to obfuscate.

The pressure in the cone is less than or equal to atmospheric. It is not greater than atmospheric.
So the modified straw at A in my diagram will raise or lower the water to just the same level as the unmodified straw at A in the original diagram? (edit to say that the opening is supposed to be the same diameter).

Also, the question comes from something Dave Rogers said. He said that the pressure must exceed atmospheric pressure at the exit, otherwise the air would never leave the cone.
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers
As the cone widens, the air slows and its pressure increases, to the point where it exceeds atmospheric pressure at the end of the cone, and therefore is expelled, but its pressure doesn't need to exceed atmospheric at every point in the cone in order for this to be the case.
The air still has velocity when it exits the cone which suggests that the pressure on the inside surface of the cone just before the exit has still not matched atmospheric pressure.

Last edited by Robin; 15th August 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 06:39 PM   #231
Robin
Philosopher

And also, to return to the question, would the air leave the cone if it just matched atmospheric pressure?
Old 15th August 2019, 07:12 PM   #232
Robin
Philosopher

And, looking around a bit, it sounds like I am talking about the difference between static pressure and dynamic pressure, which is the half rho v squared portion of the equation.
Old 15th August 2019, 07:36 PM   #233
Robin
Philosopher

A description from Dr Yan Wong's BBC blog (OK, he is an evolutionary biologist, not a rocket scientist but this sounds about right):
Quote:
The key is that Bernoulli's principle is referring to 'static pressure'. That's the pressure you notice building up within a hosepipe when you seal off the end with your thumb. Static pressure pushes equally in all directions, which is why water in the tube will start squirting out from any punctures.

This pressure is quite different from the directional 'dynamic pressure' with which a stream of water knocks over your flowers, after you've removed your thumb from the end of the hosepipe [see Note 1, below].

In fact, Bernoulli's principle tells us that there's exactly the same total pressure at any point in a flowing stream. That means if the dynamic 'forward-streaming' pressure (ie the speed) goes down, the static 'sideways-pushing' pressure must increase to make up for it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/bernoulli_principle.shtml
Old 15th August 2019, 07:55 PM   #234
Robin
Philosopher

If I am on the right track, then this resolves the problem. The air in the nozzle near the exit can be below atmospheric pressure and still exit the nozzle and there is no contradiction.

Say the air just inside the plane of the nozzle is at the same pressure of the atmosphere outside.

But outside that pressure is exerted in all directions, but inside it is exerted in one direction, and so it will push outwards.

So if the air inside the plane of the nozzle is below atmospheric pressure it can still push out for the same reason.

Last edited by Robin; 15th August 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 08:09 PM   #235
Robin
Philosopher

So if I have a large box filled with air with even pressure throughout and I select a volume of air and transform the velocities of the particles by taking the product of their magnitudes with a unit vector pointing in a particular direction (or I rotate them all until they point the same direction) then I will not have altered the pressure in that area (I think).

(EDIT: Well obviously not Robin - I would have decreased the pressure in one sense and increased the pressure in another)

However that volume of air would move in the direction of the unit vector pushing the surrounding air out of the way.

If I do the same thing but also take the product of the vectors and 0.75 then I would have reduced the pressure in that area, but still it would move in the direction of the unit vector, pushing the surrounding air out of the way.

Last edited by Robin; 15th August 2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:15 PM   #236
Robin
Philosopher

Incidentally this doesn't change anything that has come before, Ziggurat and RBF are still correct about the reasons the car does not move with the addition of the cone.

The exit velocity of the air is lower with the cone.

The overall force vector for just the cone points towards the back of the car because of the lower air pressure on the inside surfaces of the cone compared to that on the outside of the cone.

And either of these straightforwardly explains why adding the cone will reduce the forward force of the car overall so that it cannot overcome friction.

There was just a confusion about why air would exit the cone if it is not above atmospheric pressure and this would clear that up too.
Old 16th August 2019, 01:16 AM   #237
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Also, the question comes from something Dave Rogers said. He said that the pressure must exceed atmospheric pressure at the exit, otherwise the air would never leave the cone.
Yeah, not sure I got that right. The air leaving the cone has to have momentum, but then as it hits ambient pressure it loses that momentum by the application of a force in the opposite direction, which I think on reflection must increase its pressure. Since its final pressure must be equal to that of the atmosphere, that implies that its pressure is below atmospheric at the exit. Not sure; hydrodynamics is horribly counter-intuitive, which is why I posted the link to the tripe cone injector[1].

The air still has velocity when it exits the cone which suggests that the pressure on the inside surface of the cone just before the exit has still not matched atmospheric pressure.
Yeah, I think that's right.

Dave

[1] Regardless of the fact that nobody seems to call it that on the Internet, that's what steam locomotive drivers I've met call it.
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology