ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Israeli moon proble crashes on the moons surface spill Tardigrades everywhere

What will be the fate of these hardy creatures? Will they evolve or perish? Will some evolve and some perish or will they stay the same and survive?

What?
Old 9th August 2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Since they're dehydrated and encapsulated, probably the latter.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
What will be the fate of these hardy creatures? Will they evolve or perish? Will some evolve and some perish or will they stay the same and survive?

What?
That's not how evolution works.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

What?
They will neither evolve nor perish. The necessary resources necessary for metabolism and reproduction don't exist on the moon, and without them evolution isn't going to happen. They are hardy enough that they will probably "survive" for some time, in the sense that if exposed to a different environment they could resume the processes of life.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So that's why I keep hearing reassurances in the news that tardigrades are not going to kill off humans.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't laugh. Now I have to go find out why they sent them up there in the first place. Were they planning for the probe to return?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th August 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:06 AM   #6
rockysmith76
Scholar

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's not how evolution works.
evolution is an old wives tale.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:48 AM   #7
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Now I have to go find out why they sent them up there in the first place. Were they planning for the probe to return?
No. The folks at https://www.archmission.org/ had a "space library" on the lander, with digital encoded information. At the last minute, they also included some biological samples, including the tardigrades. I don't know of any plan to retrieve and attempt to read the archive in the future.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 11:45 AM   #8
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
You forgot the smilie dude.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Israeli moon proble crashes on the moons surface spill Tardigrades everywhere

What will be the fate of these hardy creatures?
I propose NASA begin a manned mission to rescue the Tartigrades from the moon ASAP.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 12:35 PM   #10
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I propose NASA begin a manned mission to rescue the Tartigrades from the moon ASAP.
The fire brigade once rescued our escaped parrot from up a tree in London, so how hard can it be?

Free The Tardigrade 50,000 !!
Old 9th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #11
bknight
Graduate Poster

So that's why I keep hearing reassurances in the news that tardigrades are not going to kill off humans.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't laugh. Now I have to go find out why they sent them up there in the first place. Were they planning for the probe to return?
Why would you think they would kill off humans? They already inhabit the Earth. You've been reading/watching too much Sci-Fi.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Why would you think they would kill off humans? They already inhabit the Earth. You've been reading/watching too much Sci-Fi.
Puhleese. I don't think that!

I said the news mentioned it numerous times.

BTW, one can never get too much sci-fi.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:35 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

They will most likely evolve into a new species by incorporating, through horizontal gene transfer, the DNA of Prototaxites stellaviatori into their genome, an advancement in their evolution that will allow them to navigate the mycelial network.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th August 2019 at 01:37 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I picture the Cat that evolved on Red Dwarf.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:54 PM   #15
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Now we know what the Xenomorphs will evolve from. (But very slowly.)
Old 9th August 2019, 02:10 PM   #16
Elagabalus
Illuminator

What will prevent the Alien Lizard Men from exploiting them once they are found and taken back to the ALM's secret Hollow Moonbase Alpha?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 02:13 PM   #17
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

They're doomed to be inactive and are guaranteed eventual oblivion by slow attrition from cosmic rays. Ain't never gonna be no water up there, guv, not no way. Nor warmth nor air.

Don't even mention incoming materials that will impact the dear little critters, sooner or later.
Old 9th August 2019, 03:09 PM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What will prevent the Alien Lizard Men from exploiting them once they are found and taken back to the ALM's secret Hollow Moonbase Alpha?

Oh! You didn't know the moon doesn't exist?

Didn't you get the memo?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It would be just like those retarded and evil Jews, to launch a space probe with no way to transmit the data from onboard experiments back to Earth.

Even the retarded and evil communists figured out how to send data back from the surface of Venus, without having to bring the entire probe back. This proves that Communism is superior to Judaism, by the way.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:54 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It would be just like those retarded and evil Jews, to launch a space probe with no way to transmit the data from onboard experiments back to Earth.

Even the retarded and evil communists figured out how to send data back from the surface of Venus, without having to bring the entire probe back. This proves that Communism is superior to Judaism, by the way.
Yes Cain. Anything you say Cain.
Old 10th August 2019, 08:42 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Now we know what the Xenomorphs will evolve from. (But very slowly.)
And be very tiny.
Old 10th August 2019, 04:03 PM   #22
Wolrab
Illuminator

Step two is complete. Tardigrades have manipulated humans to take them to space. It s only a matter of time until they return to their homeworld to report.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 08:49 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
You forgot the smilie dude.
Take a look at other posts by this member.
Old 11th August 2019, 06:42 AM   #24
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction... SyFy movie of the week featuring a Moon mission attacked by giant mutant tardigrades....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:15 AM   #25
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

At first I was outraged that anyone would intentionally include earth organisms with the idea of introducing them, even in a hibernating state, to the moon. But then I remembered all those bags of frozen astronaut poop....
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:27 PM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

They're so cute! Puffy.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:18 PM   #27
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
At first I was outraged that anyone would intentionally include earth organisms with the idea of introducing them, even in a hibernating state, to the moon. But then I remembered all those bags of frozen astronaut poop....
Hibernating understates it. They're sealed in resin. The moon has no known transportation mechanisms to move material around, and anything on the surface is subject to strong cosmic and UV radiation. There's little reason to worry about surface contamination in isolated locations.

Most of the recent stories of astronaut poop overstate it. A VOX article talks about 96 bags of poop, but most of those bags were empty. It is likely that there is *some* poop on the moon, but the actual amount is not recorded by NASA. The total number of used bags is probably less than 5.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:39 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Hibernating understates it. They're sealed in resin. The moon has no known transportation mechanisms to move material around, and anything on the surface is subject to strong cosmic and UV radiation. There's little reason to worry about surface contamination in isolated locations.

Most of the recent stories of astronaut poop overstate it. A VOX article talks about 96 bags of poop, but most of those bags were empty. It is likely that there is *some* poop on the moon, but the actual amount is not recorded by NASA. The total number of used bags is probably less than 5.
Okay, but a billion years from now when humanity is crushed by the might of the Lunar Poopal Empire I'm going to remind you you said it was no big deal. Perhaps I'll inform on you to Empress Poopins, and she will reward me with a day off from the zinc mines.
Old 12th August 2019, 07:14 AM   #29
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Prediction... SyFy movie of the week featuring a Moon mission attacked by giant mutant tardigrades....

Tardigrades vs. Space Bat.

After the launch in 2009, I remember jokes about the bat returning to Earth, mutated into a giant monster.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 08:51 AM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Who know? In 2 million years or so, perhaps they're return to demand a piece our action!
Old 12th August 2019, 09:29 AM   #31
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a question...

Wouldn't there have already been Tardigrades on the moon already, from the apollo missions?

They are extremely hardy creatures, and very common, and supposedly their small size does allow them to become airborne.... I figure that when the lunar modules landed on the moon they would have had at least a few on board as stowaways. (Granted, after after several decades they likely would have perished.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:18 AM   #32
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post

There were twelve people on the moon for a total of X hours (I'm not sure about the value of X and too lazy to look it up right now). It shouldn't be too hard to estimate the amount of poop produced.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:07 AM   #33
Elagabalus
Illuminator

OK, but is the poop on the moon? After watching the Apollo 8 doc I learned that Frank Borman didn't take a crap for six days!

Maybe there were others?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:15 AM   #34
CORed
Philosopher

OK, but is the poop on the moon? After watching the Apollo 8 doc I learned that Frank Borman didn't take a crap for six days!

Maybe there were others?
I would think taking a crap at 1/6 g would be easier than doing it in freefall (but I could be wrong, as I've never done either), so it's possible that they would have waited until they were on the moon, and I strongly suspect Frank Borman's 6 days is an extreme outlier Of course, Borman didn't have the luxury taking a crap at 1/6 g, because Apollo 8 didn't land on the moon, just orbited it.

Besides, I suggested that it could be estimated, not calculated exactly.

Last edited by CORed; 12th August 2019 at 11:19 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:31 PM   #35
Southwind17
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I would think taking a crap at 1/6 g would be easier than doing it in freefall ...
Depends on which way 'up' one is!
Southwind17 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 09:02 AM   #36
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Maybe there were others?
No one described the process as enjoyable. Most attempted to avoid it if possible. Astronauts had a low-waste diet to limit the amount produced, so for shorter periods of time, avoidance was done. Apollo 11 was on the moon for less than 24 hours, and moving around in the crowded LEM was difficult. It's very likely that Neil and Buzz didn't leave any. Buzz's comments about it could be considered humorous and years after the fact, so likely not correct.

Later missions lasted much longer (several days), so it seems good odds that someone attempted it.

Flight controllers didn't ask the astronauts if they did or didn't use the bags, just that they should be left behind in either state. There doesn't appear to be a record of how many were used. 90+ seems almost impossible. I put the over/under at 4.5.
Old 15th August 2019, 09:42 AM   #37
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Can I just say that ‘proble’ is my favorite typo of the year? Ever since this topic appeared, every time I skim the forums and see ‘moon proble’ I can’t help but snicker. It’s right up there with Ranibow Sprimkle and Kepchup.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 12:10 PM   #38
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Here's a question...

Wouldn't there have already been Tardigrades on the moon already, from the apollo missions?

They are extremely hardy creatures, and very common, and supposedly their small size does allow them to become airborne.... I figure that when the lunar modules landed on the moon they would have had at least a few on board as stowaways. (Granted, after after several decades they likely would have perished.)
I wonder if these creatures are on Mars?
Old 15th August 2019, 03:43 PM   #39
Southwind17
Philosopher

I wonder if these creatures are on Mars?
Wouldn't they be called Mardigrades?!?
Southwind17 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 07:57 PM   #40
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

What's a proble?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology