ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th December 2019, 02:20 AM   #1
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Android wont stop auto-updating the OS...

... and I'm thinking "will it blend?".

Pretty pissed at it by this point. Newly activated cheap year old stock for TracFone, did an OS update. Damn 560Mb and quite an install/update but I figured... what the hell, get it done.
That was a week ago. Now... up to several times a day (yes... a day) it grabs what would seem to be a small update (given the speed of the progress bar as it finishes and later installs) then all but nags me into accepting a shutdown/reboot and 5 minute install.
I had every option I could find turned off, searched it online and the only answer boiled down to activating the dev options and turning off auto OS updates there.

Done and done... no joy.
Just had a YT & Hulu session interupted for the second time... today. AGAIN.
What say ye... deeper dive into the sys parameters? Or a glitch in the initial update d/l? Can this damn OS really need multiple little updates day after day?

(I ask that because my other two Androids are both years old and underpowered enough that neither ever had any updates available... this is new to me.)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2019, 02:54 AM   #2
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

My go-to fix is clearing the cache, the cheaper phones sometimes don't have enough memory to run the update correctly and updates don't always clear their temp crap away once they're done.

Normally, turn the phone off then pressing vol down press & hold the power button until you can see the boot menu and use the volume keys to navigate & power to select.
You should have an option to reset\delete cache - dp that.
If you can't finf the options then search for <your phone> boot menu and you should get correct instructions
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

That's good advice, and nothing I've found online adds to it.
Problem is... I haven't been able to get the phone to enter boot/recovery selection menu. And now one of the issues the attemped update has produced is to make TapaCrap almost unusable... every time I exit a thread I've been reading, the app returns to the top of the list (either subs or timeline [its' version of new posts]). Updating it didn't help and having to scroll down through the list to find my place just wont cut it.

I did manage to turn off several new (to me) features that were driving me nuts. Among them auto play in the YT home screen, and "optimization" of the data that had the phone auto enabling Wi-Fi so it could look for open public routers. That took a while to find.

It also couldn't manage a backup within an hour or so, despite being new and lightly populated, but I may have to suck it up and just factory reset the whole shmere (if I can) and start again. The thought of then attempting the massive update again is disturbing, not sure on that one ATM.
And who's to say a restore of teh backup wouldn't bring the "glitch" along with it.
Not a happy camper.

eta: manual reset of the Update Center app's cache just triggers a re-download og the massive 590mb update file. I'm a bit tired of that at this point.

eta2: Tried a complete un and reinstall (just deleting the app isn't enough) of Tapa just for grins... no joy, still borderline unusable. I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to reset this phone.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 28th December 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

If it's applicable;

Try powering off and removing bot the SD & SIM cards, restart and then try to get to the boot menu to clear the cache.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Nice thought... didn't work.
The TracFone s/w and splash screen come up where the pre-boot recovery menu should be (I presume). This may be a dead end.
I expect I'll reset it, but... I RV around and a local RV service center lets me plug in a drop cord and use their wi-fi when they're closed (weekeds and holidays). As sometimes happens, two hours ago the router dropped its' net connection and will likely stay that way until a reboot when they come back Monday morning. My data plan is too small to reload all my apps (not to mention risking an auto d/l of that damn half gig update) so if I can't get wi-fi back I'll wait till New years eve/day or if I have to, next weekend to try the reset.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet