ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2020, 07:26 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Trimming a standard sim down to nano

I confess to owning an ancient Samsung Galaxy S2, which will soon stop supporting WhatsApp, which is one of the few things I use it for. So I bought a basic new phone.

But the new Samsung A10 has a tray for a nano SIM. Online help pages tell me I can just trim the old one down, but this will mean cutting into the metal part of the old one, which seems to be a no-no. This metallic area is approx 11 x 13mm, compared to a nano sim's 12.3 mm by 8.8 mm total size.

The old sim has 4 lines of metal along the long axis, only 3 of which are marked by insertion/removal over the years.

Any clues gratefully received
Old 14th January 2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Tolls
Philosopher

Ask your provider for a replacement SIM?

I just did that over Christmas for pretty much the same reason.

I mean, you could carve it up (the new sim could be punched out to three different sizes), but I wouldn't bet on getting it right.
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:05 AM   #3
GlennB

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Ask your provider for a replacement SIM?

I just did that over Christmas for pretty much the same reason.
It's a pay-as-you-go phone so I'm not even sure they know I exist, let alone the procedure or what documentation I'd have to provide. I was after a quick hack rather than an encounter with Greek bureaucracy
Old 14th January 2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It's a pay-as-you-go phone so I'm not even sure they know I exist, let alone the procedure or what documentation I'd have to provide. I was after a quick hack rather than an encounter with Greek bureaucracy
You can have success at cutting even a mini SIM to a nano SIM but it does carry risk. No local Jack of all things mobile and vapping shop near by? (Dont know why but all the local phone stores have taken to selling vaping supplies.)

They may have one of the cutters (look like a stapler), they tend to be more successful than a free hand trim.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Tolls
Philosopher

Modern sims are designed to work in three sizes, just punch out the relevant sim.
However the key there (I suspect) is "designed". I'm not sure an old, pre-nano, sim was designed with the same concept, so simply cutting it I would think would cause issues.

I know I didn't fancy doing it.
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I would certainly try to contact them first. Almost all the providers I know routinely clone older sims onto universal sims that provide a series of punch-out sizes. They may charge you a few bucks. Worth it.

They may need to uptake the bios (iirc) on your phone but that is a minor operation.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 08:59 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Done it in the past with no problem.
Just make sure to not even scratch the chip.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:17 AM   #8
GlennB

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Done it in the past with no problem.
Just make sure to not even scratch the chip.
That's the problem. The chip is bigger than a nano sim, so whether I do it myself or get it cut in the shop the chip itself will have to be cut.

Looks like another drive to the (distant) shop to maybe get it cut or have it cloned or whatever. Maybe just get a new sim and restore all my contacts, photos etc. Sigh.

And why "nano" sims anyway? Were the old ones taking up too much space?
Old 14th January 2020, 09:32 AM   #9
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Looks like another drive to the (distant) shop to maybe get it cut or have it cloned or whatever. Maybe just get a new sim and restore all my contacts, photos etc. Sigh.
Photos? Those wouldn't be stored on the SIM would they? SIMs are capable of storing some contact info but I'm not sure that most contact apps actually use them for that.

ETA: Maybe I should ask: Are you sure what you have is the SIM card and not the SD?

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 14th January 2020 at 09:34 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:40 AM   #10
GlennB

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Photos? Those wouldn't be stored on the SIM would they? SIMs are capable of storing some contact info but I'm not sure that most contact apps actually use them for that.

ETA: Maybe I should ask: Are you sure what you have is the SIM card and not the SD?
The old phone has no SD card. It's definitely the SIM.

But either way, if I go with a new SIM I'll want to recover the photos and contacts onto the new phone. Actually that raises an interesting point - will the old phone accept a nano sim so that I can export the contacts (currently duplicated, phone and sim)? We shall see.

Last edited by GlennB; 14th January 2020 at 09:42 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:53 AM   #11
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Not sure what you are thinking/planning here. The old phone will do everything except make phone calls/texts without a SIM card.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:58 AM   #12
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I've got a cutter sitting in the drawer next to me, which I have used successfully in the past (though I don't know if the SIM had to be of a certain type for that). I've also had a nano-SIM supplied for free by my service provider (3) when I changed to a phone that needed one (bought by me, not on the contract).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 10:05 AM   #13
GlennB

Not sure what you are thinking/planning here. The old phone will do everything except make phone calls/texts without a SIM card.

Well, maybe, but I don't want to haul it around with me just so I can replay to a friend that nice video of my granddaughter singing or the snap I took of the nice countryside, do I?

I want a modern phone that has the same facilities as the old one but isn't going to cut me off from WhatsApp one day soon (as described in the o/p)

Last edited by GlennB; 14th January 2020 at 10:09 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 10:12 AM   #14
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Well, maybe, but I don't want to haul it around with me just so I can replay to a friend that nice video of my granddaughter singing or the snap I took of the nice countryside, do I?

I want a modern phone that has the same facilities as the old one but isn't going to cut me off from WhatsApp one day soon (as described in the o/p)
I'm not suggesting you keep the old phone forever. I'm telling you can recover most, maybe even all, the data off of it without it having a SIM card in it.

ETA: BTW when I say most I mean like 99.999% of it. The internal storage on an S2 has at least 100,000 times more capacity than the SIM card.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 14th January 2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:34 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But either way, if I go with a new SIM I'll want to recover the photos and contacts onto the new phone. Actually that raises an interesting point - will the old phone accept a nano sim so that I can export the contacts (currently duplicated, phone and sim)? We shall see.
Absolutely 100% certain that there are no photos stored on your SIM.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:34 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I've got a cutter sitting in the drawer next to me, which I have used successfully in the past (though I don't know if the SIM had to be of a certain type for that). I've also had a nano-SIM supplied for free by my service provider (3) when I changed to a phone that needed one (bought by me, not on the contract).
Most cutters take a mini down to a micro.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:46 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are you sure Whatsapp is going to stop working on your S2? The last android version officially rolled out for the S2 was *4.1 and that should be fine even after Feb?
Old 14th January 2020, 11:59 AM   #18
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Most cutters take a mini down to a micro.
This one is a Dual SIM cutter, it does both.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:07 PM   #19
GlennB

Are you sure Whatsapp is going to stop working on your S2? The last android version officially rolled out for the S2 was *4.1 and that should be fine even after Feb?
Well, that's what the phone keeps telling me when I fire up WhatsApp

Seems this phone is Android 2.3.4

Last edited by GlennB; 14th January 2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:09 PM   #20
GlennB

I'm not suggesting you keep the old phone forever. I'm telling you can recover most, maybe even all, the data off of it without it having a SIM card in it.

ETA: BTW when I say most I mean like 99.999% of it. The internal storage on an S2 has at least 100,000 times more capacity than the SIM card.
Absolutely 100% certain that there are no photos stored on your SIM.
OK, cheers. They're all copied to a laptop now anyway.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:26 PM   #21
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I confess to owning an ancient Samsung Galaxy S2, which will soon stop supporting WhatsApp, which is one of the few things I use it for. So I bought a basic new phone.

But the new Samsung A10 has a tray for a nano SIM. Online help pages tell me I can just trim the old one down, but this will mean cutting into the metal part of the old one, which seems to be a no-no. This metallic area is approx 11 x 13mm, compared to a nano sim's 12.3 mm by 8.8 mm total size.

The old sim has 4 lines of metal along the long axis, only 3 of which are marked by insertion/removal over the years.

Any clues gratefully received
Done that, Works fine.

Hans
Old 14th January 2020, 02:19 PM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
This one is a Dual SIM cutter, it does both.
Posh sod.
Old 14th January 2020, 02:21 PM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Go into your settings and find software update. You should get a later version. If not you can do the upgrade "manually" if you have access to a PC?
Old 14th January 2020, 02:40 PM   #24
GlennB

Go into your settings and find software update. You should get a later version. If not you can do the upgrade "manually" if you have access to a PC?
Cheers. Tried that but it tells me "this country not supported"

But the phone is a colossal piece of crap anyway so an upgrade is well overdue. When we move back to the UK it might need to act as a wifi hotspot, among other things (new UK sim, on contract)
Old 14th January 2020, 02:54 PM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Could try a VPN with a UK IP address

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...uk-ip-address/
Old 14th January 2020, 03:03 PM   #26
GlennB

Could try a VPN with a UK IP address

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...uk-ip-address/
A VPN on an ancient phone? It's a very rare day when I even surf the BBC on that thing's tiny screen. Nah, not worth the effort. It has to go. The contacts list is the biggie, which is why I'm wondering whether a brand new nano SIM will work on the old phone so that I can import them from the phone onto that SIM. The shop will tell me, I hope.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:14 PM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A VPN on an ancient phone? It's a very rare day when I even surf the BBC on that thing's tiny screen. Nah, not worth the effort. It has to go. The contacts list is the biggie, which is why I'm wondering whether a brand new nano SIM will work on the old phone so that I can import them from the phone onto that SIM. The shop will tell me, I hope.
Yep a new SIM will fit into your old phone before you push out the micro and nano sizes. Have you not got them saved to your google account? If I recall correctly you can from the contacts app export all the contacts as a VCF file and then you can email that file and open it on your new phone.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:15 PM   #28
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Why do you think your contacts are on the SIM? That hasn't been normal for a long time.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:19 PM   #29
GlennB

Yep a new SIM will fit into your old phone before you push out the micro and nano sizes. Have you not got them saved to your google account? If I recall correctly you can from the contacts app export all the contacts as a VCF file and then you can email that file and open it on your new phone.
I spotted that option earlier, but when I went to look just now it had gone. Meantime I had exported from the SIM to the phone. Dunno if those things are connected.

What I do know is that every entry in my contacts list is duplicated, as it's seeing both SIM and phone Not a problem.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:21 PM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why do you think your contacts are on the SIM? That hasn't been normal for a long time.
You'll be surprised how many people do save them to the SIM card or even more common have some on the phone, some on the SIM card, some on an cloud account and for even more variety a few in a note on their phone.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:28 PM   #31
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You'll be surprised how many people do save them to the SIM card or even more common have some on the phone, some on the SIM card, some on an cloud account and for even more variety a few in a note on their phone.
Just sloppiness or is there some benefit?
Old 14th January 2020, 08:06 PM   #32
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

A lot of independent phone repair shops, at least here in Canada, will trim the SIM for you for a nominal fee (CAD$5 or so).

The issue with trimming it, though, is that typically the larger SIM cards are also thicker, so you may find even the trimmed card does not fit well in the tray. When I got a shop to trim my SIM card, the tray was stiff and reluctant to go in and out. Wouldn't take much to jam, I think, so be careful.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy
Just sloppiness or is there some benefit?
Probably sloppiness; phones often default to saving to the SIM card. In theory, it would allow moving the contacts with the card as well; however the SIM card often doesn't store as much detail for each contact as well.

On the other hand, if you sold your soul have a Google account you will have access to your Google contacts (on Android, that is, which is what the OP had).
Old 17th January 2020, 05:59 AM   #33
catsmate
No longer the 1

Here the process is:
Go into shop.
"Hey can I get a replacement for this SIM, nano size".
"Certainly. One moment".
<keys click>
"Here you go".
"Thank you".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 06:02 AM   #34
catsmate
No longer the 1

SIMs hold, at the very most, 512kB of data and most are 64kB or less. That's one-half megabyte. They don't hold photos, and it's bloody unlikely that a camera app could save to it even if there was capacity.

A USB SIM reader is, around here, about 1.50. Insert SIM, plus into computer and copy off data such as SMS texts and contacts.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 06:04 AM   #35
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I would certainly try to contact them first. Almost all the providers I know routinely clone older sims onto universal sims that provide a series of punch-out sizes. They may charge you a few bucks. Worth it.

They may need to uptake the bios (iirc) on your phone but that is a minor operation.
This. My telco doesn't usually charge for a new SIM linked to the old number but they may charge for cloning, it depends on the person you deal with.

Some phones need an update for the newer, larger capacity, SIMs.
Old 17th January 2020, 06:06 AM   #36
catsmate
No longer the 1

WhatsApp hasn't supported Android 2.3.x for about three years.
Old 17th January 2020, 08:45 AM   #37
GlennB

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

Well, I can only tell you what it says on the screen in the settings area.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:10 AM   #38
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

That probably just means they might not take questions during that period.
Old 17th January 2020, 03:59 PM   #39
catsmate
No longer the 1

Well, I can only tell you what it says on the screen in the settings area.
Oh it can be done, or could at least. Old versions ran under early versions of Android. However they can't be easily acquired for reinstallation.
Old 17th January 2020, 04:01 PM   #40
catsmate
No longer the 1

That probably just means they might not take questions during that period.
The later versions, from the App stores, simply won't install on an Android version that old. WhatsApp did maintain an archive of old versions for such cases but I believe they've dropped this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet