ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #1561
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I get that. So what's the dangerous pattern?
I'm not sure myself. In some way I don't think Trump is a violent individual, but in others I could see how his narcissistic personality could lead him to do something that could result in violence or harm.

Also, if cornered, perhaps he could lash out and do something we'll all live to regret.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #1562
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
This is stupid game. If you want predictions about exactly what Trump will do, go to a psychic. The danger is precisely that nobody knows exactly what Trump will do, either spontaneously or in reaction to a crisis, but there is no reason whatsoever to expect that it will be anything but the behavior of a malignant narcissist with paranoid delusions. If you can convince yourself otherwise, or that it isn't really a danger to the country even if it's true, then sleep well tonight.

I agree, it is a stupid game -a stupid political game started by people who are supposed to be professionals. When a MHP invokes a duty to warn (as defined in Tarasoff) that overrides ethical concerns, they are warning about a credible, specific threat that a patient poses to an individual or group. We don’t have that here. What we have are the kind of vague musings you note here. Which is fine for you, a citizen layperson but is not fine for a professional who is bound by standards of ethics and practice.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #1563
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm not sure myself. In some way I don't think Trump is a violent individual, but in others I could see how his narcissistic personality could lead him to do something that could result in violence or harm.

Also, if cornered, perhaps he could lash out and do something we'll all live to regret.

“Could lead him...” and “perhaps,” are fine for concerned citizen laypeople. A professional violating ethical rules by publicly stating a professional opinion about someone they have never met in those kinds of terms? I would hope you can see that there’s a problem there.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #1564
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
A professional violating ethical rules by publicly stating a professional opinion about someone they have never met in those kinds of terms? I would hope you can see that there’s a problem there.
Professional ethics rules don't matter because orange man bad.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #1565
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The premise is true but your logic is invalid.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #1566
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The premise is true but your logic is invalid.
I want to avoid confusion here. What premise are you saying is true? That professional ethics don't matter? Or that orange man bad?

And it's not my logic. I'm describing the logic of certain other parties.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #1567
Belz...
Fiend God

I want to avoid confusion here. What premise are you saying is true? That professional ethics don't matter? Or that orange man bad?
The latter, since the former supposedly follows from it.

Quote:
And it's not my logic. I'm describing the logic of certain other parties.
I know. I'm agreeing with you, actually, but adding that, in fact, orange man bad.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #1568
Bob001
Philosopher

The "Dangerous Case" conference by Bandy Lee and about 10 other speakers is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yedYljJVK8o
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #1569
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Like I said, I have no problem with people, even professionals, who think they have a pretty good idea. Just don’t wrap it up in your white coat and publicly proclaim it to be a diagnosis as if that means we should really listen to you.
You don't have to listen to anybody. You also lack the expertise to advise the rest of us.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #1570
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

For a breach of ethics to be justified, there should be something substantial to gain. It’s entirely relevant.
Maybe you don't see anything to gain. Maybe other people do. So why should anyone care about what you see or don't see?
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #1571
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

God, I hope Trump doesn’t manage Kim like past presidents. Those have been failures.
And your criteria for failure is what exactly?
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #1572
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But what does “dangerous” translate to in real terms? Because right now it seems like it means “he will pursue policies that I, personally, think are dangerous” -which is fair enough from a citizen’s standpoint; but, it’s not what a MHP means by “dangerous,” and certainly not anything that would trigger a “duty to warn,” and a justification for ethical breaches.

What do you mean by “dangerous?”
An MHP orders a 72 hour hold on people who are an immediate danger to themselves or others.

That has no relevance to a dangerous POTUS.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #1573
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I agree, it is a stupid game -a stupid political game started by people who are supposed to be professionals. When a MHP invokes a duty to warn (as defined in Tarasoff) that overrides ethical concerns, they are warning about a credible, specific threat that a patient poses to an individual or group. We don’t have that here. What we have are the kind of vague musings you note here. Which is fine for you, a citizen layperson but is not fine for a professional who is bound by standards of ethics and practice.
MHP with a "duty to warn"?

I have a duty to report certain things like abuse. Who is the MHP supposed to warn?

And how is that relevant to some psychiatrists who feel the duty to warn?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 09:10 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #1574
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And your criteria for failure is what exactly?
They sure didn't express Love the way Trump did. Love conquers all!
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #1575
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I'm mostly scared about the type of people he seems to rile up. I'm an anxious person and I don't always think my concerns are realistic, but I sometimes work myself up worrying very much about civil unrest caused by his crazier worshippers. Some of those Q people are really scary. And if he loses the election, I don't know how they'll react.

I guess I don't see how we just go back to normal from here. I'm extremely fearful of all the hate and conspiracy weirdness.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #1576
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The "Dangerous Case" conference by Bandy Lee and about 10 other speakers is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yedYljJVK8o
Thanks for the link.

For any of you who don't understand how these professionals have diagnosed Trump, watch the video of the conference. I'm listening to Jerrold Post, M.D. Personality Profiler right now. He's describing step by step Trump's symptoms and behaviors and how they are related to his diagnosis.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 09:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #1577
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
They sure didn't express Love the way Trump did. Love conquers all!
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #1578
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're interpretation is flawed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics