IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #961
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I don't understand the question.
Yes, I know. I shouldn't have couched it in arcane, seldom used language and in such a tortured way. sorry.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 7th February 2019 at 09:24 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #962
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What does his status as a 'veteran' have to do with it?
If he hadn't been a soldier at some point the cop would have carried on and arrested him?
Do 'veterans' in the US have a special status that means they don't get assaulted by the police ?
I would imagine to police who think "contempt of cop" is an arrestable offense, showing proper deference to the right people is probably important. I mean, once a cop has substituted his own personal honor code in the place of obeying the actual law, off the hip nonsense like this is to be expected.
Old 7th February 2019, 09:23 AM   #963
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

It might not have helped.
This is an answer you should have left to the police officer. I'm not sure how you feel you can answer for them.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #964
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

A VERY TROUBLING THREAD: Remember that weird police shootout during a no-knock raid in Houston last week?

It appears something truly rotten happened.

This story looks like it’s about to become huge, and let me tell you why... <snip>

Edited by Loss Leader:  Quote edited. Do not post lengthy material available elsewhere on the internet.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 8th February 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:09 AM   #965
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Any link to a not ******* twitter feed might make me give half a ****

Edited by Loss Leader:  Quote edited to conform.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard

Last edited by Loss Leader; 8th February 2019 at 09:45 PM.
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 10:53 AM   #966
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Any link to a not ******* twitter feed might make me give half a ****
2 people and a dog dead. 5 police officers wounded. An accusation of police corruption. And the best you can do is moan about the source.

MAGA!!!!! No wonder your country is ****** if this is a typical attitude.
Old 8th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #967
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
2 people and a dog dead. 5 police officers wounded. An accusation of police corruption. And the best you can do is moan about the source.

If you can't link to a news story then expect it to be treated as rumour and gossip.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 11:57 AM   #968
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
If you can't link to a news story then expect it to be treated as rumour and gossip.
There seems to be no shortage of news stories about it. The event did actually happen.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:24 PM   #969
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There seems to be no shortage of news stories about it. The event did actually happen.
Look clicking twice is hard for some people.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:39 PM   #970
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Look clicking twice is hard for some people.
Yeah. Seems to me that finding a reliable news story would have taken less effort than writing a post disparaging your source. Knee-jerk criticism is just a thing for some people.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:41 PM   #971
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. Seems to me that finding a reliable news story would have taken less effort than writing a post disparaging your source. Knee-jerk criticism is just a thing for some people.
When you don't like the news shoot the messenger. Maybe they work for HPD?
Old 9th February 2019, 10:28 PM   #972
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Florida deputy under investigation for abusing a black non-suspect

The incident began with a call regarding the victim's girlfriend, who was arrested for breaking a television in their motel room.

Quote:
“This video depicts a clear display of police abuse,” public defender Howard Finkelstein wrote in a Jan. 30 letter to the sheriff’s office. “Deputy Cady’s verbal assault coupled with him choking an otherwise cooperative bystander can only be characterized as an unlawful touching.”

The July 2017 video, which was recorded by Cady’s body camera outside a Dania Beach hotel, begins with the officer asking Allen Floyd, a black man calmly holding his infant son, if he has a “separate” room at the Red Carpet Inn and demanding to see his identification.

“For what,” Floyd, who is seated on the sidewalk, asks the officer before showing Cady pictures on his phone to prove he is the infant’s father. “I’m not going to show you my ID.”

“Quit ******* with me, boy!” Cady can be heard saying in the video after threatening to call child protective services on Floyd. “I’m going to **** you up.”

In the January letter, the public defender said, “Cady’s use of the term ‘boy’ is offensive, condescending and demeaning. It carries racial connotations when used while addressing an adult black male.”

According to Finkelstein, Cady and his female partner went to the hotel after receiving reports that an intoxicated woman had broken a TV. That woman, Johnnymae Dardy, was staying with Floyd and his 9-month-old baby in a hotel room. The Broward Public Defender’s Office is representing Dardy, who was charged with assault on a law enforcement and child neglect that night, and came across the alarming body-cam footage while reviewing her case.

In the video, Floyd, in a move Finkelstein described as an attempt to “de-escalate” the situation, tells the deputy his name and says he can “look [him] up.”

“If you lie to me one time, I’m taking your ass to jail,” Cady replies. “You understand me?”

Floyd then questions why Cady is “yelling” at him, and asks the deputy to stop calling him “boy.” As the father begins to walk away, Cady grabs him by the right arm.

“The officer then grabs him by his neck while he’s holding a 9-month-old child in his hands, and pushes him against the car, and at no point in time does Mr. Floyd respond in an aggressive manner,” Gordon Weekes, executive chief of Broward Public Defender’s Office, said in a statement.

In the video, Floyd can be seen stretching his arms wide open.

“I don’t want no problems with y’all,” Floyd says, relenting and showing his identification. “You are standing there calling me boy, grabbing me by my neck.’”

Ultimately, Floyd was not arrested. He told The Daily Beast on Saturday that he didn’t seek legal action after the incident because he was afraid he would lose custody of his son.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:32 AM   #973
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

"The stop was for an alleged turn signal violation."

Quote:
Body camera footage of the encounter—released by local news station KSHB—shows cops using a taser on Wheatcroft a total of 11 times, even though the man was neither resisting arrest nor under suspicion of having done anything wrong. Even worse, while Wheatcroft was handcuffed and pinned face-first on the ground of a hotel parking lot, an officer kicked him in the groin, pulled down his gym shorts, and used a taser on his testicles.

This happened while Wheatcroft's two sons—who are 11 and 6—watched in horror from the car.

"I have never seen anything like this before," said Jeff Noble, a former police chief who reviewed the footage for KSHB. "This is just beyond the pale."
A three day suspension is all one of them got.

Last edited by Stacko; 10th February 2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:53 PM   #974
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

That's absolutely repugnant, and the report released by the police department whitewashing the incident is sickening.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 05:45 PM   #975
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It is impossible to read on a phone when you don't have a Twitter account, which many people choose not to do.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 05:52 PM   #976
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It is impossible to read on a phone when you don't have a Twitter account, which many people choose not to do.
This is not true.
Old 10th February 2019, 06:02 PM   #977
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

This is not true.
I just tried it. Twitter asked me to sign up.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 06:04 PM   #978
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Must be your phone. Mine on chrome doesn't. There's a splash that you can dismiss to continue reading.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:58 AM   #979
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The position the police got the male in, with his hand up his back, trapped by the seat belt meant it was the police who caused the problem. But they taser him. They are cowards and bullies.
Old 11th February 2019, 04:25 AM   #980
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You can't get rid of such fine officers, the police would riot if they had to face real consequences for minor policy violations like that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:27 AM   #981
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The position the police got the male in, with his hand up his back, trapped by the seat belt meant it was the police who caused the problem. But they taser him. They are cowards and bullies.
Hey at least he is alive, they would totally have been justified legally in shooting him for disobeying like that. This is america the police can do what ever they want with no consequence.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #982
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Woman with hands handcuffed behind her back shoots herself through the mouth.

Quote:
A 19-year-old woman whose hands were cuffed behind her back when she committed suicide during a traffic stop in Chesapeake died of a gunshot wound through the mouth, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Sarah Wilson committed suicide on July 25, 2018, during a traffic stop near the intersection of Berkley Avenue and Wilson Road, according to the Chesapeake Police Department.

She was the passenger of a 1996 Lexus driven by her boyfriend, 27-year-old Holden Medlin. The couple were under the surveillance of two CPD officers -- one assigned to uniform patrol, and the other to vice narcotics -- when they were stopped around 4:24 p.m.
And of course the body camera was off line.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:06 AM   #983
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Must be your phone. Mine on chrome doesn't. There's a splash that you can dismiss to continue reading.
Correct, I just looked up Popehat's Twitter. They want you to download the app, but there's a "dismiss" button and I can read it just fine. On the PC, Twitter almost always fails to load properly when I follow a link, but the reload button fixes it up.

Speaking of Popehat, he retweeted this gem yesterday.
Quote:
A cop going 94 mph hits her car and kills her 1 year old baby. Then he gets paid leave while they charge her with homicide for allegedly not having the seatbelt tight enough on the carseat. Wow. Unbelievable.
Old 17th March 2019, 01:22 PM   #984
mgidm86
Philosopher

Show me a child's car seat that has a safety rating anywhere near 94 mph, or a car that does for that matter. I'm surprised anyone survived at all.

I had to read an article to make sure this story was true. The charges against the officer may be appropriate, but the mother and occupants, holy crap.

According to available "facts" this is terrible.
Old 18th March 2019, 05:02 AM   #985
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Acquittal for cop that shot autistic man's caretaker who was trying to talk down his patient who was having an emotional meltdown in public.

This was the case where an officer shot at an intellectually disbaled man sitting on the ground holding a toy truck that the police claims looked like a gun, despite being reassured several times that it was a toy. The shots missed and struck the man's caretaker, who was lying on the ground with his hands up.

The cop argued in court that it wasn't illegal because he actually meant to shoot the mentally disabled man instead, who I remind you all was, in fact, unarmed.

There was one holdout on the jury who didn't find the cop's testimony credible. All the others agreed to acquit.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/j...gence-11118569
Old 18th March 2019, 06:14 AM   #986
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Acquittal for cop that shot autistic man's caretaker who was trying to talk down his patient who was having an emotional meltdown in public.

This was the case where an officer shot at an intellectually disbaled man sitting on the ground holding a toy truck that the police claims looked like a gun, despite being reassured several times that it was a toy. The shots missed and struck the man's caretaker, who was lying on the ground with his hands up.

The cop argued in court that it wasn't illegal because he actually meant to shoot the mentally disabled man instead, who I remind you all was, in fact, unarmed.

There was one holdout on the jury who didn't find the cop's testimony credible. All the others agreed to acquit.

See the system works, he is going to be back on duty and patrolling the streets again just like everyone wants.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:15 AM   #987
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Show me a child's car seat that has a safety rating anywhere near 94 mph, or a car that does for that matter. I'm surprised anyone survived at all.

I had to read an article to make sure this story was true. The charges against the officer may be appropriate, but the mother and occupants, holy crap.

According to available "facts" this is terrible.
Just the perks of the job.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:51 AM   #988
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

That is beyond the pale. I think the definition of 'chutzpah' needs to be redefined in light of this.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 06:54 AM   #989
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
That is beyond the pale. I think the definition of 'chutzpah' needs to be redefined in light of this.
Why? This seems less crazy than the cop exonerated for killing someone for trying to prevent his pants from falling down after being given orders for 5 minutes or panicking after finding out someone is a lawful gun owner.

Really this is normal and expected. It is only shocking when the cop gets a conviction no matter what evidence is against him.
Old 18th March 2019, 06:57 AM   #990
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I wonder what they thought about him handcuffing the man he'd just mistakenly shot (according to his own testimony he thought Kinsey was being held hostage by Soto) and denying him medical treatment for some time while he was bleeding on the sidewalk. Is that now to be considered a reasonable way to treat presumed victims of crime in Miami?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 07:36 AM   #991
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I wonder what they thought about him handcuffing the man he'd just mistakenly shot (according to his own testimony he thought Kinsey was being held hostage by Soto) and denying him medical treatment for some time while he was bleeding on the sidewalk. Is that now to be considered a reasonable way to treat presumed victims of crime in Miami?

Dave
Clearly an administrative issue and reprimand nothing criminal about that. I mean a cop just shot a black guy, he must be guilty of something so you cuff and arrest him. SOP.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:38 AM   #992
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Clearly an administrative issue and reprimand nothing criminal about that. I mean a cop just shot a black guy, he must be guilty of something so you cuff and arrest him. SOP.
Failing to cuff someone you just shot would be pretty much admitting that you screwed up in a major way. Better to treat them like a suspect and see if there is any way to CYA after the fact, which seemed to work in this case.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:41 AM   #993
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Failing to cuff someone you just shot would be pretty much admitting that you screwed up in a major way. Better to treat them like a suspect and see if there is any way to CYA after the fact, which seemed to work in this case.
Bizarre, though, that the CYA method successfully employed was to admit the massive screwup of accidentally shooting the "hostage".

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 07:47 AM   #994
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Bizarre, though, that the CYA method successfully employed was to admit the massive screwup of accidentally shooting the "hostage".

Dave
But that was later at the time they chose different CYA methodology. Never expect logical consistency in their CYA methods.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:27 AM   #995
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sets an interesting precedent. It's okay for a cop to shoot someone who isn't doing anything wrong if they can credibly argue they actually meant to shoot someone else who also isn't doing anything wrong.

Obviously, it is good to be a cop.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 11:05 AM   #996
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Obviously, it is good to be a cop.

I don't know about that, they seem to be seriously paranoid, and very easily frightened by innocuous objects and people. Not sure I'd want to live my life in that state of violent fear.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:33 PM   #997
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
I don't know about that, they seem to be seriously paranoid, and very easily frightened by innocuous objects and people. Not sure I'd want to live my life in that state of violent fear.

I suspect that many of them are the sort who live in that state anyway. It might be why they chose to become cops.

Not being cops removes the blessing of the government over their pathology.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 12:01 PM   #998
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

"BILOXI — A former Mississippi Gulf Coast police officer told a judge Monday that she had sex with her supervisor and then fell asleep while her 3-year-old daughter was dying inside an overheated patrol car.

Cheyenne Hyer died Sept. 30, 2016, after her mother left her strapped in a car seat for four hours while Barker was with her then-supervisor at his home. The car was running with the air conditioner turned on, but wasn't blowing cold air.

The girl was unresponsive when Barker returned. Authorities say Hyer's body temperature was 107 degrees when she arrived at a nearby hospital."

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/...ar/3209859002/
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 02:46 PM   #999
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

"San Francisco's Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to approve a $13.1 million settlement for a man framed by police for murder.

Jamal Trulove spent more than six years in prison for a 2007 murder before being acquitted in a 2015 retrial.

The police officers named in the lawsuit have retired, and none were disciplined for their actions in the case, Reisman told the AP."

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/70501...ice-for-murder
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 04:44 AM   #1000
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

"BILOXI — A former Mississippi Gulf Coast police officer told a judge Monday that she had sex with her supervisor and then fell asleep while her 3-year-old daughter was dying inside an overheated patrol car.

Cheyenne Hyer died Sept. 30, 2016, after her mother left her strapped in a car seat for four hours while Barker was with her then-supervisor at his home. The car was running with the air conditioner turned on, but wasn't blowing cold air.

The girl was unresponsive when Barker returned. Authorities say Hyer's body temperature was 107 degrees when she arrived at a nearby hospital."

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/...ar/3209859002/
Quote:
Reports at the time indicated Ladner told officials he had taken a sleep aid and also fallen asleep.
Surely the cops wouldn't take such an obvious whopper from a regular citizen at face value without insisting on a drug test. I think we will find that this "sleep aid" is in fact some drug of abuse that should be entered into evidence against the two officers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events