ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 02:25 AM   #881
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

If May loses then Tories already saying that Art 50 will need to be extended. Of course all EU27 would have to agree to that... could you imagine Boris having to go begging for more time?
Old Today, 02:29 AM   #882
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Also think the timing of this leadership election is interesting. Not prepared to wait until she came back from her round of talks to see if they could get changes to the deal... the ERG are engineering, or at least attempting to engineer, a no-deal Brexit for their own ends.

Time will be burned going through this nonsense. Meanwhile Labour sit and do nothing.
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #883
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
If May loses then Tories already saying that Art 50 will need to be extended. Of course all EU27 would have to agree to that...
...unless we decide to extend it for exactly two years.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #884
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
I can imagine the letter.

Dear EU

We've changed our mind we aren't leaving.

Yours faithlessly and unsincerely

The UK

PTO

Dear EU

We are leaving.

Up yours, nah, nah!

Yours

Eton College
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #885
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Even better if BoJo's first act as PM is to withdraw Article 50 haha.

Given the ECJ ruling I can see the EU having to amend the agreement at some point to either clarify that the decision is irrevocable or that if an Art 50 declaration is revoked then another cannot be submitted for 5 years. Or something like that anyway.
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #886
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Presumably by people who have never come within a thousand miles of Skibereen....
The surviving population of Skibbereen (and elsewhere in Ireland) were the ones who travelled these thousand intervening miles, harbouring thoughts of revenge on the way.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:36 AM   #887
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tory resentment of Irish power within EU

"The Irish really should know their place," one said

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-po...mpression=true
Aside from offensive, the statement is also ironic: the Irish do know their place and are using it to their full advantage.

It's almost as if, you know, the EU benefits its members.

Radical, huh?

McHrozni
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #888
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Even better if BoJo's first act as PM is to withdraw Article 50 haha.
A few weeks ago, that would have been a joke. Now, it almost seems inevitable.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:10 AM   #889
3point14
Pi

Can anyone give me a brief update on the democratic deficit?
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #890
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

If May loses then Tories already saying that Art 50 will need to be extended. Of course all EU27 would have to agree to that... could you imagine Boris having to go begging for more time?
I thought he quit again, has he been put back in again?

At least in the US once someone is out of our current administration they are not going to be back in later.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:30 AM   #891
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

At least in the US once someone is out of our current administration they are not going to be back in later.
I imagine he would be frontrunner for PM if TM loses the VONC. If he fancies it.

Of course it's fairly normal for ministers to be sacked and reinstated in other roles especially if the PM changes. Amber Rudd made a comeback in a matter of weeks.
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #892
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

He quit as Foriegn Secretary but he is still an MP and member of the Conservative Party. Our Cabinet is drawn from MPs (and to a lesser extent Lords). The advantage of this is it means that the Great Offices of State can't be gifted to one's business buddies, the disadvantage is that I have to sadly admit that my fellow citizens did actually vote for the toussel haired buffoon.

Any Minister from the ruling party or coalition can be chosen as Prime Minister, there's a line of succession as to who takes over in an emergency, but that would be temporary and when a PM steps down the floor is open to anyone who wants to throw their hat into the ring, it's not limited to members of the Cabinet. In theory Members of the House of Lords could also be chosen but that would be against the convention established over the last century or so.
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #893
Belz...
Fiend God

Absolutely does if you are referencing precedent.

The whole point of the EU is that you have multiple independent entities in a single bloc. It's on a scale that is unknown anywhere else. That's why you need a Parliament.
I don't see how that follows. What you need is some sort of international organisation that can do that. It doesn't need to be a parliament. That's why I said it doesn't change my general point.

Quote:
That doesn't make it a single country.
I didn't say it did. I'm saying that the ever-closer union thing seems to be pointing that way eventually. I think the people involved would like it sooner than later, but I'm not sure the actual citizens would.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #894
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democr...European_Union

Especially, for me, the role of the EC.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #895
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democr...European_Union

Especially, for me, the role of the EC.
Did you hear a rush of air above your head when you posted that?
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #896
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

My thanks. So glad someone got it.
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #897
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

I don't see how that follows. What you need is some sort of international organisation that can do that. It doesn't need to be a parliament. That's why I said it doesn't change my general point.
You would prefer an unelected shady cabal of bureaucrats to a Parliament?

Quote:
I didn't say it did. I'm saying that the ever-closer union thing seems to be pointing that way eventually. I think the people involved would like it sooner than later, but I'm not sure the actual citizens would.
Which of the EU27 do you think will be first to give up it's sovereignty in its entirety in order to facilitate the EU becoming a single country?
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #898
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Er... no actually. What'd I miss?

You would prefer an unelected shady cabal of bureaucrats to a Parliament?
Well, leaving aside the false dichotomy there, I can't say that I'd prefer it, but the point is that a parliament is not needed.

Quote:
Which of the EU27 do you think will be first to give up it's sovereignty in its entirety in order to facilitate the EU becoming a single country?
I guess the idea is that they all do it together.

Old Today, 10:14 AM   #899
3point14
Pi

The UK is currently indulging in another vote to see who gets to lead the country.

The people who called for the vote wrote to the head of the 1922 committee, a Toy party insider group that's rather shadowy and steers the Troy party without any input from the electorate.

The vote to decide who is in charge of the UK will only be open to Tory party MPs.

Given that the common refrain from those in favour of brexit is that being in Europe reduces the input of the electorate on the running of the country, I find the current situation to be sickeningly ironic

Add into that that this is the second time since the public actually got a say that the Tories alone are voting for the leader of the country but, oddly, a second vote for the people to decide on brexit is somehow not democratic and the irony is almost an emetic.

Last edited by 3point14; Today at 10:25 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #900
angrysoba
Philosophile

The UK is currently indulging in another vote to see who gets to lead the country.

The people who called for the vote wrote to the head of the 1922 committee, a Toy party insider group that's rather shadowy and steers the Troy party without any input from the electorate.

The vote to decide who is in charge of the UK will only be open to Tory party MPs.

Given that the common refrain from those in favour of brexit is that being in Europe reduces the input of the electorate on the running of the country, I find the current situation to be sickeningly ironic

Add into that that this is the second time since the public actually got a say that the Tory's alone are voting for the leader of the country but, oddly, a second vote for the people to decide on brexit is somehow not democratic and the irony is almost an emetic.
As you asked the question, how does it stack up against the legislative and executive bodies of the EU?

The Tory Party won* the previous election and therefore got to form a government. As Tory MPs are elected then it makes sense that they also get to elect their leader. Maybe that is even more in keeping with representative democracy that only MPs can do this rather than those who pay membership fees to parties. Other parliamentary systems have similar conventions such as the Irish parliament as the party elected Leo Varadkar PM.

* they got the most seats if not a majority.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #901
Belz...
Fiend God

Ah. I didn't understand your post in context and took it literally. Stupid internet.

Old Today, 10:37 AM   #902
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
As you asked the question, how does it stack up against the legislative and executive bodies of the EU?
Er, I didn't ask a question, that I'm aware of.

Quote:
The Tory Party won* the previous election and therefore got to form a government. As Tory MPs are elected then it makes sense that they also get to elect their leader. Maybe that is even more in keeping with representative democracy that only MPs can do this rather than those who pay membership fees to parties. Other parliamentary systems have similar conventions such as the Irish parliament as the party elected Leo Varadkar PM.

* they got the most seats if not a majority.

I make no comment as to the appropriateness of the process, I just note that the difference in apparent public opinion between the two differing forms of representative democracy is stark.

I didn't think I'd have to explain myself this much, to be fair.
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #903
angrysoba
Philosophile

Er, I didn't ask a question, that I'm aware of.
This was where it started....

"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #904
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
This was where it started....
Oh, fair point.

It was intended to be entirely rhetorical, which is why I didn't register it as a question. Odd.
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #905
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, fair point.

It was intended to be entirely rhetorical, which is why I didn't register it as a question. Odd.
Well at least your attempt at sarcasm confused the both of us.

Old Today, 10:46 AM   #906
3point14
Pi

Well at least your attempt at sarcasm confused the both of us.
Yeah, I really shouldn't try to do funny.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #907
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Well, leaving aside the false dichotomy there, I can't say that I'd prefer it, but the point is that a parliament is not needed.
If you look back to what I originally said, I stated that it is needed partly because the organisations in the club are committed to a democratic approach. The fact you complain about the EC kind of emphasises that point.

Quote:
I guess the idea is that they all do it together.
Really? So you can't persuade 1 to do it but you can persuade 27 to do it simultaneously?

The direction of travel for the EU is to INCREASE the number of members not reduce it.
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #908
Belz...
Fiend God

If you look back to what I originally said, I stated that it is needed partly because the organisations in the club are committed to a democratic approach. The fact you complain about the EC kind of emphasises that point.
I'd say I'm concerned about the EC more than complaining about it since I don't live in the EU nor do I feel the consequences of its so-called democratic deficit.

Still, you could have representatives appointed by the elected members of government in the various EU states. A parliament might be preferable, but it isn't the only workable solution.

Quote:
Really? So you can't persuade 1 to do it but you can persuade 27 to do it simultaneously?
It was a joke, Archie. Hence the smiley. If you want me to be serious, you have a very good point there.

Old Today, 11:06 AM   #909
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The direction of travel for the EU is to INCREASE the number of members not reduce it.
I was talking to a Swedish ex-pat who has lived in the US for 20-30 years. He thinks Sweden should follow the UK.

I asked why and his main sticking point was that the EU had required driver's licenses to expire if you haven't lived in the country of issuance for ten years. I was stunned. Who cares about having a drivers license in a country you haven't lived in for over ten years? You can still drive when you visit. You can get a new license if you eventually return for a longer period. It just seemed like such a minor thing, but he thought it was worth it to send the economy into the dirt for 5 years just to fix that sort of thing. That was his estimate, 5 year downturn.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think Russia is dismantling the EU via social media.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #910
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think Russia is dismantling the EU via social media.
That sounds pretty rational to me. Someone paid Arron Banks (A man who isn't in the news half as much as he should be) (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...campaign-funds)

It's been a very, very good year for Vlad.
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #911
Belz...
Fiend God

No, I think you're right on the money.

Old Today, 12:28 PM   #912
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I was talking to a Swedish ex-pat who has lived in the US for 20-30 years. He thinks Sweden should follow the UK.

I asked why and his main sticking point was that the EU had required driver's licenses to expire if you haven't lived in the country of issuance for ten years. I was stunned. Who cares about having a drivers license in a country you haven't lived in for over ten years? You can still drive when you visit. You can get a new license if you eventually return for a longer period. It just seemed like such a minor thing, but he thought it was worth it to send the economy into the dirt for 5 years just to fix that sort of thing. That was his estimate, 5 year downturn.

Admittedly why should he care about something as irrelevant to him as the Swedish Economy? Send it into the crapper for the next 500 years, as long as he can drive there if he moves back it is worth it. He might be much more able to afford servants in such a retirement move if they destroy their economy.

You have to take a proper view of such things to understand the logic.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #913
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Why sack May when the next PM is going to be just as incompetent at trying to achieve the impossible?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #914
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Add into that that this is the second time since the public actually got a say that the Tories alone are voting for the leader of the country but, oddly, a second vote for the people to decide on brexit is somehow not democratic and the irony is almost an emetic.
I think the way to put it is that out of the entire country of over 60 million we let potentially just 48 people decide who is allowed to be prime minister.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics