ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags debt , debt ceiling

Old 12th January 2013, 06:06 PM   #121
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
I once got a piece of advice I've never forgotten and passed on a few times myself: no one's ever gone broke from paying capital gains taxes. I don't know where you came up with those particular numbers, but at least in principle I could get behind a marginal increase in capital gains taxes.

Just so it's clear, to me that would mean that given your numbers, a person reporting $1,000,001 in capital gains would pay 70 cents more than a person reporting an even $1M.

I'd very much enjoy seeing Nancy Pelosi having to pay a progressive tax rate. Yes indeed.
A capital gains tax would work fine as far as I am concerned, but somebody needs to simulate it, because you want to know it's expected revenue, and what effect it will have on things like metals markets.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance